BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Southend

Just now, DE. said:

2 or 3-1 Rovers. If we keep playing the way we've been playing we'll be fine. Time to put the nightmare that was August 5th to bed.

It would be fitting for Lenihan to be back for this one and a straight forward, no-nonsense win. We are a vastly different animal than the one they played back then 

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, DE. said:

Speaking of the opening day of the season, this was our line up:

image.png.12d4fab1023d2610ee7ed3f788c58aa3.png

Lenihan is touch and go by the sounds of it, other changes will likely be Nyambe > Bennett, Samuel > Antonsson (assume Samuel was playing on the wing for this one?), Whittingham > Evans.  

They've managed fine now this season without shoehorning Whittingham into the team so I hope it stays that way and just as predicted we've missed Feeney in no way shape or form whatsoever.

The rest of them have grown into the challenge and dare I say it 'gelled' as the season has gone on.

• Backroom
9 minutes ago, tomphil said:

They've managed fine now this season without shoehorning Whittingham into the team so I hope it stays that way and just as predicted we've missed Feeney in no way shape or form whatsoever.

The rest of them have grown into the challenge and dare I say it 'gelled' as the season has gone on.

Yeah, I was actually a little surprised at how little the starting lineup has actually changed. The bench has seen a change for the better though. 

Also, Dack being hooked on 61' for Feeney... can you imagine? It sounds crazy, but from recollection Dack didn't have the best debut nor the best start in general to life as a Rovers player. Fair to say he's improved significantly since then!

13 minutes ago, DE. said:

Yeah, I was actually a little surprised at how little the starting lineup has actually changed. The bench has seen a change for the better though. 

Also, Dack being hooked on 61' for Feeney... can you imagine? It sounds crazy, but from recollection Dack didn't have the best debut nor the best start in general to life as a Rovers player. Fair to say he's improved significantly since then!

He seems a lot fitter now he's actually got a decent engine on him so I think whilst Mowbray was moving him about and using him sparingly at first there was method in his madness.  Get him fit but at the same time show him your not an automatic pick here unless you earn the shirt, was probably the main man at the Gills and used to just walking in the team maybe ?

Good point about the bench I think the strength in depth now has been a major factor this season especially as you say the starting line ups haven't changed much from then to now.

Dack wasn't fit at the start of the season, that much was evident in his opening 4 or 5 games for us. It didn't help that DG wasn't in good form for that period of time either. 

Their telepathic like partnership matured later in 2017 and has been fundamental to our attacking prowess this season.

Remember him showing some nice touches in the Bradford away game without really convincing, and that continued in my mind until after the now infamous Oldham away game.

Until then I wasn't convinced that he should even be a nailed on starter (notwithstanding we were still waiting for him to get to full fitness) but clearly since then he's been devastating. 

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

My team(if everyone is fit)

Raya; Bennett Lenihan Mulgrew Williams; Smallwood Evans; Armstrong Dack Antonsson; Graham.

Subs

Luetwiler Downing Bell Whittingham Payne Conway Samuel

Antonsson was awful the last 2 games and missed guilt edged chances in both games. He will cost us if he starts many more games. At home I'd start with Payne, away Conway.

9 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The thing with our squad is we always seem to have at least 1 attacker really step up and do damage to the opposition. If someday they all play to their ability ,we will put 5 to 6 on the opposition. When you look at where we are in the league, it surprising we haven't already. Whats our biggest win, 4-1 V MK Dons? 

Problem is if we get 2 up we seem to pack it in.  Also 1-1 or 2-2 their goals to be gimmes.

33 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Raya; Bennett Lenihan Mulgrew Williams; Smallwood Evans; Armstrong Dack Antonsson; Graham.

Subs

5 minutes ago, robbojohnno said:

Antonsson was awful the last 2 games and missed guilt edged chances in both games. He will cost us if he starts many more games. At home I'd start with Payne, away Conway.

Agreed on Antonsson, no way should he start, Payne any day.

Blackburn 4 MK Dons 1

Rochdale 0 Blackburn 3

Blackburn 3 Portsmouth 0

Blackburn 3 Barnet 1

Bury 0 Blackburn 3

Oxford 2 Blackburn 4

Blackpool 2 Blackburn 4

Blackburn 3 Shrewsbury 1

Blackburn 3 Walsall 1

Wimbledon 0 Blackburn 3

Blackburn 3 Blackpool 0

Which one is the exception that proves the rule?? :lol:

29 minutes ago, Rover_Shaun said:

Blackburn 4 MK Dons 1

Rochdale 0 Blackburn 3

Blackburn 3 Portsmouth 0

Blackburn 3 Barnet 1

Bury 0 Blackburn 3

Oxford 2 Blackburn 4

Blackpool 2 Blackburn 4

Blackburn 3 Shrewsbury 1

Blackburn 3 Walsall 1

Wimbledon 0 Blackburn 3

Blackburn 3 Blackpool 0

Which one is the exception that proves the rule?? :lol:

OK, maybe it just feels like that sometimes :)

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Subs

Cant argue with that apart from Antonnson. he had a purple patch but since his return has offered little. I know Payne has offered great impact from the bench so if he were to stay there id suggest Bennett pushed up and Travis played at RB. 

12 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Cant argue with that apart from Antonnson. he had a purple patch but since his return has offered little. I know Payne has offered great impact from the bench so if he were to stay there id suggest Bennett pushed up and Travis played at RB. 

I'd be inclined to agree, I don't particularly think a great deal about Antonsson either but from what's available, consider he's the only option in that position to keep the balance to the team. I think Payne has a tendency to drift inside and he and Dack together don't seem to mix.

I'd leave Bennett at right back but encourage him to push on more than he has and persevere with Evans in CM, who has had a couple of decent games to be fair.

My concern is the lack of creativity at home with the players we have available.

Thankfully we've got a few that can pull rabbits out of hats.

It's a must win game that would put us 4 points ahead of Shrewsbury, a far superior goal difference, with 6 to play. One more slip up from them and another win for us on a corresponding day should more or less see us home.

Just now, darrenrover said:

I'd be inclined to agree, I don't particularly think a great deal about Antonsson either but from what's available, consider he's the only option in that position to keep the balance to the team. I think Payne has a tendency to drift inside and he and Dack together don't seem to mix.

I'd leave Bennett at right back but encourage him to push on more than he has and persevere with Evans in CM, who has had a couple of decent games to be fair.

My concern is the lack of creativity at home with the players we have available.

Thankfully we've got a few that can pull rabbits out of hats.

It's a must win game that would put us 4 points ahead of Shrewsbury, a far superior goal difference, with 6 to play. One more slip up from them and another win for us on a corresponding day should more or less see us home.

Everytime I see Antonsson on the left, for some reason I reminisce about Pedersen.  Antonsson doesn't stack up in comparison and it makes me think of how good a job MGP did for all those years, all in the Premier League.  He often just appeared steady and consistent but popped up with real cutting edge moments. A lot took him for granted and many even shouted abuse at him. The Blackburn faithful can be ungrateful and don't always realise what they have until It's gone.

• Backroom

Despite being very limited on a technical level, Antonsson has a good engine, works hard and has decent positional discipline. I can see why Mowbray would pick him, but when he's not scoring goals his limitations become more obvious.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/04/03/do-blackburn-rovers-fans-turn-on-leeds-united-loanee-marcus-anto/

Just saw this article... a bit harsh to say the fans have "turned on him", but I think it's fair to say not many of us would want him back if we got promoted.

15 minutes ago, DE. said:

Despite being very limited on a technical level, Antonsson has a good engine, works hard and has decent positional discipline. I can see why Mowbray would pick him, but when he's not scoring goals his limitations become more obvious.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/04/03/do-blackburn-rovers-fans-turn-on-leeds-united-loanee-marcus-anto/

Just saw this article... a bit harsh to say the fans have "turned on him", but I think it's fair to say not many of us would want him back if we got promoted.

Harsh indeed, suspect you could pick 6 or 7 tweets digging out most players on any given weekend, hardly representative.

Agree with you though, that if we get promoted I'd see him as a squad player at best if we want to be competitive. Hardworker and good finisher (even if he's not showed it for a while) but can be anonymous even when we're dominating teams. Won't have that luxury in the Championship. 

18 minutes ago, DE. said:

I think it would be fairer to say the fans have never taken to him. I think the issue could be that he's effectively being asked to play as a 'left winger', he's not one but probably the best we've available.

It's a dilemma we've got and one we discussed on the way home from MK on Monday: If you look through our team, how many are currently playing in positions that are not their natural position?

I understand short term versatility but?..........

One could say it's worked thus far!

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

Harsh indeed, suspect you could pick 6 or 7 tweets digging out most players on any given weekend, hardly representative.

Agree with you though, that if we get promoted I'd see him as a squad player at best if we want to be competitive. Hardworker and good finisher (even if he's not showed it for a while) but can be anonymous even when we're dominating teams. Won't have that luxury in the Championship. 

Hasn't scored for twelve games. If you're being played purely on account of your goal scoring ability you've got to do better than that. It's not like the chances haven't been there.

10 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Hasn't scored for twelve games. If you're being played purely on account of your goal scoring ability you've got to do better than that. It's not like the chances haven't been there.

Agree, falls nowhere near the Rhodes bracket of taking that one chance that wins you the game. 

That said, he was also on a great run earlier in the season when most others were taking their time to get going, so there's a perfectly decent player in there. Just not quite well rounded enough for us to want to sign him imo, which to be fair seems like everyone else's view too. 

13 hours ago, GreenRover said:

74 goals scored this season. Only six goals away from Mowbray's target of 80 goals and seven games to get them. He was fairly spot on about the goals in fairness to him

So 6 one nil wins will do me.

Archived