BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Southend

10 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Has the skills but would struggle against the pace of top flight defenders. 

It's not that simple man. You're telling me he wouldn't do well against teams in the bottom half? Not having it. You are giving  some teams and players too much credit and ours not enough. I think that's your MO though :)

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Tom said:

Feeney is out of contract - not sure why we’d sign him up if Cardiff don’t go up!

I'd park outside his house with a huge countdown timer to the minute his contract expires. Then hire a crowd to go mental in his street when it hits zero

My therapist doesnt think its a good idea, but hey ho :rover:

2 hours ago, MGPensioner said:

. I wondered what Hanley (tosser) thought when he was Sub for Scotland and Third Division Mulgrew was Captain.

If he knows anything about the game, then he's realise that he's a donkey whilst Charlie is a proper footballer 

16 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

If he knows anything about the game, then he's realise that he's a donkey whilst Charlie is a proper footballer 

I wouldn't say he was a donkey. He played some good games for us and earned a move to Newcastle. I'd have him back here in a heartbeat as back up to Charlie and darragh. 

Just now, FGS5635 said:

To be fair he would be a good partner for charlie.

Wonder what he could be bought for these days

I prefer Lenihans mobility. Hanley would be a great addition though as he is more physical and better in the air than the other 2. I would be happy with Hanley, Mulgrew, Lenihan and Downing as our CBs next season. Wharton hopefully makes a push too 

Actually playing 5 at the back with 3 CBs of 

Lenihan - Hanley- Mulgrew

Would be nicely balanced IMO 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I prefer Lenihans mobility. Hanley would be a great addition though as he is more physical and better in the air than the other 2. I would be happy with Hanley, Mulgrew, Lenihan and Downing as our CBs next season. Wharton hopefully makes a push too 

I agree, but charlie and Darra have proven quite injury prone. I think all 3 would get enough game time to be happy.

Gives us a bit more flexibiity and cover.

That said not seen Hanley play for a good while so its all hypothetical

• Backroom

Anyway on the game a few nerves kicking in now, the last two games felt tricky going into them, this one looks straightforward on paper but we messed up a few similar games earlier in the season.

At this point any win will feel like a huge step towards promotion.

Get at them early to avoid it becoming a nervy affair, what we can’t afford is one of those games where they get in front then time waste for the rest of it 

• Backroom
44 minutes ago, Tom said:

Feeney is out of contract - not sure why we’d sign him up if Cardiff don’t go up!

Similar to Graham he has a 12 month extension clause, which unfortunately I can actually see being activated if we go up. 

4 hours ago, MGPensioner said:

According to the Fan's Forum minutes, Waggott has a List A and a List B and is awaiting green light from India.

Sounds familiar somehow but anyway, agree with above posters, we will need 9 first teamers to compete in the Champ or we will be discussing relegation this time next season.

All eyes on the Rao Family to approve the funds.

Graham will be here, I think he will be fine for another season although Chaddy said his legs have gone (many times)..

Dack will be half the player against better quality opposition. No way he is good enough for the PL or quite simply he would be playing there. People forget we are in the THIRD division.

Be brilliant if we can sign Armstrong but I doubt we will afford him.

Chapman I think his career is probably finished now - so we may be able to sign him.

Mulgrew staying fit all season has shocked all of us. Be good if he can stay. I wondered what Hanley (tosser) thought when he was Sub for Scotland and Third Division Mulgrew was Captain.

I will be shocked (again) if Lenihan stays.

Antonnson will be gone. No loss there. If you can't excel in the third division, no good in the Champ. Served his purpose in the squad tbf.

Payne - depends if Huddersfield get relegated or stay up. I reckon they need 2 more wins but from where ?

Feeney - depends if Cardiff get promoted or not.... ?

Mowbray - depends if we get promoted or not. I reckon we need 6 more wins.

So you are feeling pretty upbeat about next season then.  Seriously though can we not talk about next season in Championship terms.  Bloody hell we.can tempt fate can't we and we wonder why we get an arrogant name tag.

Wasn't picking on you, just the general idea that we are able to discuss our wants for the next.level up.  I am taking nothing for granted.yet.  Glass half empty type, no, the have not even got to the bar yet type.

It looks like Powell is telling us how he is going to play tomorrow. As usual the first goal is important and for us it should make Southend come out a bit. Hopefully Mowbray will have seen this and planned accordingly.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/16141697.southend-boss-wants-to-make-ewood-park-crowd-edgy-in-rovers-visit/?ref=mr&lp=6

5 minutes ago, arbitro said:

It looks like Powell is telling us how he is going to play tomorrow. As usual the first goal is important and for us it should make Southend come out a bit. Hopefully Mowbray will have seen this and planned accordingly.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/16141697.southend-boss-wants-to-make-ewood-park-crowd-edgy-in-rovers-visit/?ref=mr&lp=6

I didn't get much on the way they will play from that. 

In reality they will be pegged back early and how straight forward our day will be depends on us taking our early chances. All the time being careful not to concede from a  set piece. If they come and try and play us at our own game, they will be going kamikaze. I hope they do that, but they won't. 

We owe then one from earlier in the season. That Kightly guy in particular 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I didn't get much on the way they will play from that. 

In reality they will be pegged back early and how straight forward our day will be depends on us taking our early chances. All the time being careful not to concede from a  set piece. If they come and try and play us at our own game, they will be going kamikaze. I hope they do that, but they won't. 

We owe then one from earlier in the season. That Kightly guy in particular 

'Frustrate them, make them edgy, make the crowd edgy' are clues that suggest that they will defend, waste time and generally try and kill the game at every opportunity.

10 minutes ago, arbitro said:

'Frustrate them, make them edgy, make the crowd edgy' are clues that suggest that they will defend, waste time and generally try and kill the game at every opportunity.

Get an early goal and hopefully we'll see them fold like a pack of cards as they did at Plymouth very recently.

Reading the interview in the LET from Southend manager Powell I cant see any reason not to pick an attacking line up. Cant see them looking to attack too much. Press high up with fullbacks who overlap.  I am assuming Lenihan wont make the game. Might actually be a game for Whittingham later on if theyre defending deep. 

Raya

Bennett Downing Mulgrew Bell

Smallwood Evans Dack

Payne

Armstrong Graham

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Well, no surprises there. I reckon we will be too good. Armstrong 1, Dack 1 and Graham 1

3-0 Rovers 

Actually edit, I reckon Antonnsson is due 1. So rather than being greedy and saying 4-0, he will score instead of one of the lads above. I can't pick which one though :) 

Although I would snap your hand off for 1-0 anyone to score, right now 

43 minutes ago, benhben said:

Reading the interview in the LET from Southend manager Powell I cant see any reason not to pick an attacking line up. Cant see them looking to attack too much. Press high up with fullbacks who overlap.  I am assuming Lenihan wont make the game. Might actually be a game for Whittingham later on if theyre defending deep. 

Raya

Bennett Downing Mulgrew Bell

Smallwood Evans Dack

Payne

Armstrong Graham

Play a completely new formation in this game? 

It's so crazy it might work!!!! 

Seriously? 

Afternoon Rovers. 

Glad to see you's battling at the top of the division. As I mentioned before, I was a Rovers fan as a youngster, so mean it when I say, I hope you's get back to where you belong. 

That said, I hope we do the business tomorrow :) 

Anyone who fancies a flutter, get on Jacky Payne to score either at anytime, or the winner. We've got an unbelievable record of former players scoring against us, and if Payne plays, he's bound to notch one. A cracking little player. 

We've been rejuvenated under Chrissy Powell, and barring the Plymouth game a few weeks ago, we've been quite good (which makes a change). Wigan, scunny & Rotherham have found that out lately.

Must admit, I'm worried about Armstrong. The guy is a machine, with bags of pace, so he'll test our centre backs. 

I could see a score-draw tomorrow, OR maybe you's to nick the game late. 

Good luck

Southend certainly have a good manager there now and i'd say they might be dark horses to be in the mix next season depending on how their summer business pans out.

Tough game tomorrow this the team needs to be front foot from the off again and the crowd needs to be on it and raise itself and the team if things are proving tricky rather than the other way around which is usually and bizarrely the case at Ewood.  I don't think Powell made those comments off the top of his head people in the game know our home crowd is notoriously quiet and nervous at times when it needn't be.

Get behind the lads ffs :lol:

COYB

Archived