BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Scottish Football

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

LOL the quality is diabolical in the SPL. 3-3 in an absolute clusterfuck of a game. 

The sad thing about it is, almost every player on show today would walk into our current side, if we could afford them…..

• Backroom
17 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

But we know we're watching shite. 

Boy do we!

If you're alluding to the OF teams thinking they could waltz into the Prem and compete then I agree. Would take them the best part of a decade to do imo. 

• Like 1

Most Old Firm fans know they are miles off competing in the Premier League.

Being the saddo that I am I like have a read of their forums after their latest chastening defeat in Europe and they are always lamenting how far away they are.

Edited by Mattyblue

• Backroom
10 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Most Old Firm fans know they are miles off competing in the Premier League.

Being the saddo that I am I like have a read of their forums after their latest chastening defeat in Europe and they are always lamenting how far away they are.

Fair enough. I seem to get the ones who think they would be competing for top 4 within a few years. Must be the company I keep.

With Prem money,  and their set up and support, they would get there. But it would take a hell of a long time. 

It’s always an interesting ‘what if?

They are certainly huge clubs who are obviously bigger than most of the PL, however it is getting harder to compete at the top end from a low starting point as Newcastle are finding even with an oil state’s billions behind them.

• Moderation Lead

If Rangers and Celtic got the TV money that PL teams got, they’d be a lot more competitive, obviously. 
They’ve both got absolutely gigantic fan bases, so they’d 100% compete with the same TV riches.

• Like 1

I’ll be at Dens Park on Wednesday to hopefully see the Dee silence the Orange hordes. Always worth taking in a game when visiting Scotland. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, K-Hod said:

If Rangers and Celtic got the TV money that PL teams got, they’d be a lot more competitive, obviously. 
They’ve both got absolutely gigantic fan bases, so they’d 100% compete with the same TV riches.

Two Mickey Mouse teams in a Mickey Mouse league with massive followings of Mickey Mouse plastic fans.

No amount of money will allow them to buy their way out of the cold hard truth of this.

• Moderation Lead
7 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Two Mickey Mouse teams in a Mickey Mouse league with massive followings of Mickey Mouse plastic fans.

No amount of money will allow them to buy their way out of the cold hard truth of this.

Never had you down as such a Disney man….

• Like 1

On 07/04/2024 at 22:23, Upside Down said:

I try to get up to Celtic Park once a month. The Celtic Supporters Club that I’m a member of runs a bus up to all home games, some away games if tickets are forthcoming, otherwise it’s a minibus or cars. Week in, week out.

The bus leaves Coventry at around 6am and gets back to the Midlands after games at midnight. There are lads on from Peterborough, the south coast, Wales, Coventry & Birmingham, with a few more being added on the way up.

The coach park at the stadium is full of coaches from all over Scotland and the UK. There are also numerous coaches parked up outside pubs. In addition, fans arrive from Ireland by ferry and plane. Week in, week out.

I can assure you, these are not plastic fans. They are die hards. As much as I dislike those from the other side of the city, their support and the lengths they go to, to follow their team, falls into the same category. 

Celtic is a club founded on charity and the need to help those less fortunate than others. To this day, the supporters continue to raise thousands of pounds each year for those in the east end of Glasgow, the wider Glasgow area, Scotland and further afield. I’m not talking about the club making donations here (although it does), I’m talking money raised by supporters alone. Over the years, it will have run into hundreds of thousands, if not more.

I can’t be arsed going into the details of the Tv deals (or lack of in Scotland) which reduces the Scottish Premiership to ‘Mickey Mouse’ levels, when compared to England. It’s not worth it.

May be do a bit of research before coming out with utter bullsh*t. You haven’t got a clue.

• Like 5

Of course some of these die hards (specifically the Scottish based ones) could try supporting their local teams and maybe Scottish football wouldn’t be so skewed…

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

I never get the 'TV money' argument.

If Scottish clubs had the same TV revenue as English clubs, the top players are still not choosing either Rangers or Celtic over the likes of City, United, Liverpool - or even the London clubs.

Bit deluded to think otherwise.

6 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Of course some of these die hards (specifically the Scottish based ones) could try supporting their local teams and maybe Scottish football wouldn’t be so skewed…

That is an amazingly stupid viewpoint.

Maybe I will be told to support Bangkok United.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

That is an amazingly stupid viewpoint.

Maybe I will be told to support Bangkok United.

He's talking about people who support Celtic but have absolutely zero connection to Glasgow yet are Celtic 'fans'. Like all the Staffordshire red scum fans.

Not people who come from Glasgow and moving elsewhere but still supporting their home club.

• Like 2

Bit of an overreaction from ARA there. 😅 Of course that wasn’t aimed at exiled fans that obviously keep connected/keep supporting their motherland team.

It was aimed at the towns of Scotland that empty with folk off to Glasgow every weekend as their home town clubs’ grounds (in decent sized towns) rattle around with one man and his dog in them).

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Bit of an overreaction from ARA there. 😅 Of course that wasn’t aimed at exiled fans that obviously keep connected/keep supporting their motherland team.

It was aimed at the towns of Scotland that empty with folk off to Glasgow every weekend as their home town clubs’ grounds (in decent sized towns) rattle around with one man and his dog in them).

This. 
I used to work in Motherwell and there is a mass exodus of old firm fans leaving the town in droves whenever Celtic or Rangers are playing. I’m sure places like Paisley, Greenock etc are the same. 
If even a fraction of them went to Fir Park (or St Mirren Park or Cappielow) instead it would make such a difference to those town teams. Rovers have the same problem with United and Liverpool and have had for 50 years.

But it seems worse/more obvious in Scotland.

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 4

Glory hunters are obviously an issue here too, but the core support for local clubs is still strong.

A decent sized town in England with a league club will be well supported - the same sized town in Scotland generally won’t be as they can’t get a look in over the Old Firm, with obvious detriment to the game up there.

• Like 1

Support for Celtic and Rangers isn’t based on Geography in Scotland, but about identifying with a club that represents your religious and sectarian views. It’s the same in N.Ireland. The vast majority of Catholics in Scotland support Celtic for this reason, every unionist and Catholic hater supports Rangers, but not all non Catholics do. As long as both clubs exist, this tribalism will continue, and in Britain’s divided society it is getting worse. Away fans are not now allowed to attend Old Firm games, a sad indictment on the way things are going.

5 minutes ago, Giant said:

Support for Celtic and Rangers isn’t based on Geography in Scotland, but about identifying with a club that represents your religious and sectarian views. It’s the same in N.Ireland. The vast majority of Catholics in Scotland support Celtic for this reason, every unionist and Catholic hater supports Rangers, but not all non Catholics do. As long as both clubs exist, this tribalism will continue, and in Britain’s divided society it is getting worse. Away fans are not now allowed to attend Old Firm games, a sad indictment on the way things are going.

While this is true there are also a significant number of what we would call ‘glory hunters’.

I would also wager that most Celtic fans have never seen the inside of a chapel, likewise the other lot and a church.

• Like 1

Some really strange results over the weekend, non more so than the mighty Ross Country beating Rangers for the first time in the clubs history, handing the title to Celtic.......

56 minutes ago, Gav said:

Some really strange results over the weekend, non more so than the mighty Ross Country beating Rangers for the first time in the clubs history, handing the title to Celtic.......

As welcome as that result was, it really only gives Celtic a slight advantage.

It’s still in both clubs’ hands. Celtic win their remaining 5 league games, they are champions. Rangers win their remaining six games, they are champions.

Celtic, however, may have the luxury of being able to draw the derby at Celtic Park, dependent upon how the results have gone. Hardly handing the title to Celtic.

If Rangers cock up against Dundee though…

I’m always reluctant to post regarding Glasgow Derby rivalry, (what used to be known as the Old Firm). Before long, discussions have gone off in various tangents and it all gets rather silly. My post yesterday evening was simply a reaction to the ludicrous ‘plastic’ and ‘Mickey Mouse’ comments which I wanted to address.

• Like 1