BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Why do we concede so many last minute goals?

Today there is no doubt about why it was fitness. Norwich got better as the game went on and it's no surprise that they score so many late goals as their levels never dropped. Us on the other hand we were done with 20-25 minutes left, we had nothing left and were just hoping that we could hang on for the point.

It reminded me of an FA cup game when a professional side play against a team of part timers, the part timers compete for 3 quarters of the game but in the final quarter fitness kicks in and the professional side take control.

• Like 1

On 22/12/2018 at 17:28, Ewood Ace said:

Today there is no doubt about why it was fitness. Norwich got better as the game went on and it's no surprise that they score so many late goals as their levels never dropped. Us on the other hand we were done with 20-25 minutes left, we had nothing left and were just hoping that we could hang on for the point.

This lack of fitness theory has been a thing for years.

We were defending really really deep for the last 20minutes against Leeds.

Were we knackered or was it just terrible tactics?

Edited by Husky

19 minutes ago, perthblue02 said:

Courtesy of @Northern_Rover -on twitter, times of goals conceded this season

DvW-LsSX0AAHsn0.jpg

https://twitter.com/Northern_Rover/status/1077976800607813639

Wouldn’t surprise me if that graph was similar for every team in the bottom half of every division - maybe more.

Goals tend to be scored in the second half of games as injuries and red cards happen and the game becomes naturally stretched.

5 hours ago, philipl said:

To concede 50% of all goals in the last 20 minutes points to serious character and fitness flaws in the squad.

It's pretty clear to me what the issue is. Mulgrew aside we have no composure at the back and Mulgrew isn't a natural centre half. He is our best defender. 

Raya- great shot stopper. Nervous at times and prone to panicking. Kicking atrocious, invites pressure and adds to the nerves. 

Nyambe- good physical attributes. Very young, can't be relied on to be the "cool head" at the back 

Lenihan--poor distribution and frankly not a good enough defender. Very nervous at times. Tenacious, but wreckless . Now seems to have removed some of the tenacity, which has made him a worse defender 

Bell- OK going forward. Major question marks defensively, particularly under the high ball. 

Williams- Not good enough to be starting. Better centre half than left back. Probably as he has to keep things simpler. His distribution can be awful at times, many times in the same game in fact. 

Downing-a bit slow but I think he should be starting with Mulgrew. He is a natural, no nonsense centre half. Mowbray starts Lenihan because he is more athletic, which he is, but I think that is to the detriment of the team. 

We have too many nervous defenders with poor distribution. Mowbray should have tried in someway to sort this during the summer. 

I will be honest , deep down I knew from watching us last season our defence was dog shit, Mulgrew aside, but I hoped Lenihan would come on this year and step up. He hasn't. Maybe Mowbray hoped for the same. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Lenihan--poor distribution and frankly not a good enough defender. Very nervous at times. Tenacious, but wreckless . Now seems to have removed some of the tenacity, which has made him a worse defender 

I do wonder if giving away those penalties at the start of the season has had an effect on his tenacity. 

• Like 1

We invite pressure, keep the ball up top. We then panic and boot it to anyone, it’s honestly amateur stuff.

speaking to a mate from a different club who said to me that he heard our fitness was crap and so teams ramp it up against us last quarter because they know we have fitness issues and a soft underbelly. Concerning 

Talking about one trick pony Arma - at one point in the second half he skinned their defender and could have carried on sprinting with the ball and angled in towards their area. He would have been 1 on 1. He got past his man and just eased up, dallied on the ball and gave it away. Scandalous. He may not be a winger but I’m beginning to think he’s just shite.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Talking about one trick pony Arma - at one point in the second half he skinned their defender and could have carried on sprinting with the ball and angled in towards their area. He would have been 1 on 1. He got past his man and just eased up, dallied on the ball and gave it away. Scandalous. He may not be a winger but I’m beginning to think he’s just shite.

To be fair there's a reason he cost less than £2m. In today's market that is peanuts, especially for a player who was at a PL club.