BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Would he have played much here though? 

Feel like a lot of the excitement comes from him being a local lad. When in fact he did very little and seemed to drift further and further from the team.

we don't know do we. 

• Backroom

Mahoney showed flashes of potential, and I think Mowbray would have brought him on in the same way he has Nyambe and Raya. I don't think Mahoney would have been worse than Samuel on the wing, for example. Or Antonsson for that matter. I'm not going to fault the lad for having the ambition to go to a Premier League club with a young, positive manager that plays decent football. It obviously doesn't seem to have worked out for him yet, but it's early days. If Mahoney was available on loan next season I wouldn't be averse to having him here if Mowbray felt he would add something to the team.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DE. said:

Mahoney showed flashes of potential, and I think Mowbray would have brought him on in the same way he has Nyambe and Raya. I don't think Mahoney would have been worse than Samuel on the wing, for example. Or Antonsson for that matter. I'm not going to fault the lad for having the ambition to go to a Premier League club with a young, positive manager that plays decent football. It obviously doesn't seem to have worked out for him yet, but it's early days. If Mahoney was available on loan next season I wouldn't be averse to having him here if Mowbray felt he would add something to the team.

To be fair, Samuel has rarely played wide, and Antonsson had a real purple patch in front of goal that Mahoney showed no evidence of being able to match. 

If we was to sign him back especially on loan, id feel it was done purely on sentiment. He showed very little really in terms of end product and struggled to make the squad at the end when we improved.

• Like 1

• Backroom
8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

To be fair, Samuel has rarely played wide, and Antonsson had a real purple patch in front of goal that Mahoney showed no evidence of being able to match. 

If we was to sign him back especially on loan, id feel it was done purely on sentiment. He showed very little really in terms of end product and struggled to make the squad at the end when we improved.

I'd trust Mowbray's judgement on it. As long as we don't bring Lowe back I'm good.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Mahoney would have played as he is a winger and we ended up playing strikers on the wing for most games. Terrible decision to leave 

He's said many times he likes forwards on the wing so your assertion is incorrect. 'Wide-forwards' was the term he used, like Samuel and Armstrong this season and Gally last.

8 hours ago, DE. said:

For the record, this was our squad for the first game of the 2016-17 season:

Steele

Lowe 
Duffy
Ward
Henley

Feeney
Lenihan
Akpan
Bennett
Marshall

Graham

Subs:

Raya
Greer
Byrne
Stokes
Hendrie
Guthrie
Conway

Excluding players who are still at the club, is there literally a single player on that list that anybody on here (excluding Jim picking Lowe) would want to bring back? You could make an argument for Duffy but after his "accidental" own goals against Cardiff I never want to see him in our shirt again. Marshall maybe the only other, but he has issues with mentality which make him a risky regular first team choice.

Essentially I think we're already in a much better place now than we were at the beginning of the 16/17 season, despite being a division lower. We need improvements, but give me this team any day of the week over what we had in 16/17. 

Wow! What a poor squad, it wouldn't have got out of this league.

56 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

He's said many times he likes forwards on the wing so your assertion is incorrect. 'Wide-forwards' was the term he used, like Samuel and Armstrong this season and Gally last.

I would call them wingers. Would you like to see strikers played there again next season so? 

• Backroom

This is very refreshing to hear, if the players out of contract want to stay and they aren’t in Mowbrays first team plans it sounds like they’ll have to accept a fair chunk less

https://audioboom.com/posts/6831172-hopeful-and-confident-rovers-boss-tony-mowbray-on-the-futures-of-his-out-of-contract-players

10 hours ago, DE. said:

For the record, this was our squad for the first game of the 2016-17 season:

Steele

Lowe 
Duffy
Ward
Henley

Feeney
Lenihan
Akpan
Bennett
Marshall

Graham

Subs:

Raya
Greer
Byrne
Stokes
Hendrie
Guthrie
Conway

Excluding players who are still at the club, is there literally a single player on that list that anybody on here (excluding Jim picking Lowe) would want to bring back? You could make an argument for Duffy but after his "accidental" own goals against Cardiff I never want to see him in our shirt again. Marshall maybe the only other, but he has issues with mentality which make him a risky regular first team choice.

Essentially I think we're already in a much better place now than we were at the beginning of the 16/17 season, despite being a division lower. We need improvements, but give me this team any day of the week over what we had in 16/17. 

Amazing that team came so close to avoiding relegation. And let's not forget our star recruit-----Owen Coyle.

9 hours ago, Tom said:

This is very refreshing to hear, if the players out of contract want to stay and they aren’t in Mowbrays first team plans it sounds like they’ll have to accept a fair chunk less

https://audioboom.com/posts/6831172-hopeful-and-confident-rovers-boss-tony-mowbray-on-the-futures-of-his-out-of-contract-players

Interesting to hear him mention Connor Mahoney's tribunal is still to come up... probably won't amount to much, but perhaps nice to hear that's money coming in going forward rather than money already spent.

Conway's the only out of contract player who should be considered for a new deal but only if he's up for fairly low wages and a backup winger role. He may be at a point in his career where he can accept that and seems like a good locker room presence. He's not standing in the way of any youngsters as we're pretty light on the wings, but may depend on Mowbray's summer transfer plans. Wouldn't be a huge loss if he departs in the end.

Hope we're able to ship off Gladwin, Whittingham, and maybe Caddis to free up some wages, but may be easier said than done.

Edited by RoverCanada

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, RoverCanada said:

Interesting to hear him mention Connor Mahoney's tribunal is still to come up... probably won't amount to much, but perhaps nice to hear that's money coming in going forward rather than money already spent.

Conway's the only out of contract player who should be considered for a new deal but only if he's up for fairly low wages and a backup winger role. He may be at a point in his career where he can accept that and seems like a good locker room presence. He's not standing in the way of any youngsters as we're pretty light on the wings, but may depend on Mowbray's summer transfer plans. Wouldn't be a huge loss if he departs in the end.

Hope we're able to ship off Gladwin, Whittingham, and maybe Caddis to free up some wages, but may be easier said than done.

Surely you’d offer Graham a contract ahead of Conway?

25 minutes ago, Tom said:

Surely you’d offer Graham a contract ahead of Conway?

Graham's got an option for next year, so I'm assuming they'll pick that up if they can't figure out a contract extension. And I'd be hesitant to give him more than one more year anyway given fitness concerns.

(but, yes, definitely keep Graham around for next year!)

• Like 1