BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

He has been crap but I feel that the questions over how much he cares are unfair. Today, every time anything around him broke down, you could hear moans around me suggesting that he wasn't trying.

Tomasson's tactics don't get the best out of him, he is a player suited to being more central and further up the pitch than he plays. He is quite quick, quite powerful and offers a threat in behind. He can also finish. He has never been the best player technically or the most elegant.

When has BBD played central for Rovers and perform?

His goals come from the left side of the pitch. 

He is the one dropping deeper and not running in behind defences any more

• Like 1

Not being able to read the game is his downfall. Getting himself offside, giving the ball away, not passing the ball to a player, losing the ball, unable to head a ball and his link up play have all gone to pot.

Its a sad sight to see from the stands and it is evidently clear he has things on his mind like his pending move!

• Like 2

He's playing like he has a knock or doesn't want to get a knock, simple as.

Must be so easy to defend against, he has that one move cutting in onto his right, watch a few games in the week and you've got him sussed. He's stopped using his strength to take people on and even just win a foul. 

The one thing he did to get himself into form after his shaky start was work his fucking bollocks off, harry, run at people, get stuck in, take that out and he's half the player. I still have nightmares about that shot against Hull that went out for a throw in.

He's performing a role in the team at best, getting back, covering etc but not getting forward enough, as he knows he won't be able to track back. He's currently only getting the ball on the wing with his back to goal on the half way line.

Edited by Groundhog

11 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

He has been crap but I feel that the questions over how much he cares are unfair. Today, every time anything around him broke down, you could hear moans around me suggesting that he wasn't trying.

Tomasson's tactics don't get the best out of him, he is a player suited to being more central and further up the pitch than he plays. He is quite quick, quite powerful and offers a threat in behind. He can also finish. He has never been the best player technically or the most elegant.

Whilst agree with some of that he is playing in the same positions Mowbray played him and he always has, ask him and he'll tell you that's his position.

It's also where he has scored most of his goals from.

He should have been hooked last night but seeing as he was having such a mare on the left the sensible thing would have been to move him more central after having to lose Gallagher.

Is he though definitely trying not to get injured or pull anything and that means he is a liability.

Edited by tomphil

10 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

When has BBD played central for Rovers and perform?

His goals come from the left side of the pitch. 

He is the one dropping deeper and not running in behind defences any more

But in his main season, he played predominantly essentially in a front 2 (Buckley floating in between) right up the pitch, or on occasions, as left of a three, as he played the season prior when he improved.

Playing as a left winger in a 4231 is not the same, it requires a lot more running back and a lot less scope for playing on the shoulder. That is a huge reason IMO why he hasn't offered the same threat this season, the tactics don't suit him as much.

That's why I think we need to have a re-think, the status quo isn't working. In the absence of any competent strikers, a situation worsened by Gallagher being injured who himself is not very good most of the time. The alternatives now are Dolan who showed how poor he is at offering an out ball last night, and Leonard who has played about 40 minutes of senior football. Having Brereton right up top would offer us at least some physicality, and also the option to go in behind. Plus he is our main shot at getting goals. He hasn't played up front very often for us but when he has been effective, it has been in formations which naturally lend themselves to him being far closer to the opposition goal and also narrower than he is in the 4231.

His best game from the last 4 and the only time he offered a goal threat was against Huddersfield because again, the 433 let him be further forward. He was having chances and getting involved.

Even if he stays on the left, which makes me worry about who we put down the middle, I would prefer at least to be in a 433 where he can be closer to the opposition goal.

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Whilst agree with some of that he is playing in the same positions Mowbray played him and he always has, ask him and he'll tell you that's his position.

It's also where he has scored most of his goals from.

He should have been hooked last night but seeing as he was having such a mare on the left the sensible thing would have been to move him more central after having to lose Gallagher.

Is he though definitely trying not to get injured or pull anything and that means he is a liability.

There may be a subconscious part of him that fears injury and I get that, it is a terrible indictment on the club (well the owners) that we have got into this situation in the first place. But I feel that every time he mis controls the ball or whatever, things he did even when he was at the top of his game, it is put down to his head being elsewhere which I don't think is entirely accurate. We have to make do now and I just think moving him as I mentioned above is the best way to get him closer to goal. As you said, yesterday why not have him down the middle?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

But in his main season, he played predominantly essentially in a front 2 (Buckley floating in between) right up the pitch, or on occasions, as left of a three, as he played the season prior when he improved.

Playing as a left winger in a 4231 is not the same, it requires a lot more running back and a lot less scope for playing on the shoulder. That is a huge reason IMO why he hasn't offered the same threat this season, the tactics don't suit him as much.

That's why I think we need to have a re-think, the status quo isn't working. In the absence of any competent strikers, a situation worsened by Gallagher being injured who himself is not very good most of the time. The alternatives now are Dolan who showed how poor he is at offering an out ball last night, and Leonard who has played about 40 minutes of senior football. Having Brereton right up top would offer us at least some physicality, and also the option to go in behind. Plus he is our main shot at getting goals. He hasn't played up front very often for us but when he has been effective, it has been in formations which naturally lend themselves to him being far closer to the opposition goal and also narrower than he is in the 4231.

His best game from the last 4 and the only time he offered a goal threat was against Huddersfield because again, the 433 let him be further forward. He was having chances and getting involved.

Even if he stays on the left, which makes me worry about who we put down the middle, I would prefer at least to be in a 433 where he can be closer to the opposition goal.

There may be a subconscious part of him that fears injury and I get that, it is a terrible indictment on the club (well the owners) that we have got into this situation in the first place. But I feel that every time he mis controls the ball or whatever, things he did even when he was at the top of his game, it is put down to his head being elsewhere which I don't think is entirely accurate. We have to make do now and I just think moving him as I mentioned above is the best way to get him closer to goal. As you said, yesterday why not have him down the middle?

I think he’s going to have to play there wether he likes it or not in the absence  of Gallagher.

I think his level of performance is just a case of him not wanting to get injured. Next season he could quite possibly be playing in Europe or at the very least the nou camp or bernabeu. Whether it’s subconsciously or actively he won’t want to jeopardise that.

His story has been nothing less than a fanciful scrip from Roy of the Rovers. An English guy playing in the 2nd division for a small town team. Rovers massively overpaid for him and his form was on the range of shambolic to occasionally average. Some internet geeks discover he’s half Chilean. For some reason Chile cap him and he surprisingly does well scoring on debut and ultimately becomes a cult hero in Chile with streets named after him doing adverts all for 4 goals in 20 ish games. When he comes back to rovers from his Chile stint you could count on one hand the amount of times he’s looked a professional in blue and white halves but bangs in 20 goals in 19 games ish all before Xmas. After Xmas until present day his form pretty much goes back to what it was before his Chile debut. Nevertheless he gets a pre contract at Villarreal. It sounds too far fetched.

He’s always come across as a nice guy I hope he succeeds but for what it’s worth I personally think he’s a very average player who had a purple patch for 6 months of his career. I’d be astonished if he does well in la liga. 

Edited by matt83
  • Like 8

16 hours ago, Ghost7 said:

Who is even offering him a contract right now? Villarreal must be reassessing... unless they're short on cash for proper signings. Would Rovers even offer him the same big wages? He's been crap for a long time.

If they have an exit option, they would be very wise to take it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rigger said:

Another take on Diaz seemingly being undroppable. Perhaps JDT wants him to play so that clubs make him an offer in the summer, and we get him off the wage bill.

Makes no sense. We wouldn't be obligated to offer him a new deal even if he wasnt off to Spain.

(Although I imagine someone who had scored 30 odd goals in 2 seasons would be someone we would retain if at all possible.)

17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Makes no sense. We wouldn't be obligated to offer him a new deal even if he wasnt off to Spain.

(Although I imagine someone who had scored 30 odd goals in 2 seasons would be someone we would retain if at all possible.)

I'll tell you what makes no sense, and that is keep picking Diaz. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He’s been offered two deals and turned them down 

The lad's suffering, I couldn't help feeling sorry for him last night. 

Maybe it's time to shout his name on Saturday and give him some backing,I'm sure there's nothing he'd like more than to fire Rovers into the play offs. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

BBD is dropping deep of his own will on Wednesday night. He didn't once run in behind. His defensive work ain't great either. 

On him being physicality up front? I don't think he would at all cos he would drift out left anyway. I wouldn't play as striker. 

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

BBD is dropping deep of his own will on Wednesday night. He didn't once run in behind. His defensive work ain't great either. 

On him being physicality up front? I don't think he would at all cos he would drift out left anyway. I wouldn't play as striker. 

It isn't, he might come back and try but he hasn't got a defensive bone in his body. Problem is, playing in a 4231 puts more defensive onus on the wide men compared to

4 options. The first is to drop him entirely, but considering the lack of goals amongst the other options and the lack of quality, that concerns me. The second is to keep playing him where he is in a 4231 where he isnt suited.

IMO that leaves 2 options. Leave him from the left but change formation maybe to a 433 where we looked far better against Huddersfield and that also coincided with Brereton getting chances and being far more involved. The alternative to that would be to put him up front in the absence of any proven quality elsewhere.

I refuse to accept that a part of the reason why he hasn't been as successful this season is not down to the tactics not suiting him as much as they did last year. There may well be other factors, notably having agreed to leave and also maybe teams figuring him out, but the tactics don't suit him as much.

To drop him means that our goals have to then come from Szmodics, Dolan, Thomas and Hedges especially with Gallagher seemingly out and Dack unfit and none of them are natural goalscorers.

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It isn't, he might come back and try but he hasn't got a defensive bone in his body. Problem is, playing in a 4231 puts more defensive onus on the wide men compared to

4 options. The first is to drop him entirely, but considering the lack of goals amongst the other options and the lack of quality, that concerns me. The second is to keep playing him where he is in a 4231 where he isnt suited.

IMO that leaves 2 options. Leave him from the left but change formation maybe to a 433 where we looked far better against Huddersfield and that also coincided with Brereton getting chances and being far more involved. The alternative to that would be to put him up front in the absence of any proven quality elsewhere.

I refuse to accept that a part of the reason why he hasn't been as successful this season is not down to the tactics not suiting him as much as they did last year. There may well be other factors, notably having agreed to leave and also maybe teams figuring him out, but the tactics don't suit him as much.

To drop him means that our goals have to then come from Szmodics, Dolan, Thomas and Hedges especially with Gallagher seemingly out and Dack unfit and none of them are natural goalscorers.

I would drop him for PNE game. His overall performances haven't been good enough. He is dropping deeper himself nothing to do with tactics. His decision maker recently has been very poor. Like Hull game when twice he should have played Pickering in. Then Pickering could have shot on goal or cross. His confidence has gone aswell. 

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would drop him for PNE game. His overall performances haven't been good enough. He is dropping deeper himself nothing to do with tactics. His decision maker recently has been very poor. Like Hull game when twice he should have played Pickering in. Then Pickering could have shot on goal or cross. His confidence has gone aswell. 

How do you know it has nothing to do with tactics and that he is coming back himself and defying the tactics of the manager?

He has been playing crap, so have all of our attacking players. As a team we have scored 3 goals in 5 games. Dolan, Szmodics and Thomas have also failed to score in those games. I don't think for most of the season that we have offered much attacking threat, and I think that is for two reasons. The attacking players at our disposal are not great, aided by lack of investment/scope for sales and reinvestment by the owners. But still, these players were here last season and our goals per game has dropped from 1.28 to 1.1. Tomasson's tactics are very cautious and we rarely create many chances. That isn't to say it is necessarily wrong as it could get us in the play offs but it is something we have struggled with all season.

Brereton becomes an easy scapegoat because firstly he has been the one to score the goals in the last 2 years plus also agreeing a move at the end of the season means that people can question his commitment. But I think considering how unthreatening the rest of our attackers are, aside from Dack. The key to any hopes of staying in the top 6 may depend on Brereton scoring 2/3/4 in these 4 games. You wouldn't fancy any of the others to do it. I think a key to that is playing him closer to the goal. 

• Like 1

He’s become an ‘easy scapegoat’ because he is quite obviously phoning it in.

We’ve known for months that he’s off, but the fans haven’t particularly had an issue with it as he was still putting a shift in… that hasn’t been the case in recent weeks.

• Like 4