BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Like I said, Mowbray took over a problematic job but his results showed an obvious and stark improvement on the failing manager who was sacked prior, in that case Coyle. Lambert was unable to improve upon the failing Hughes and Hurst, showing win/point records that were as bad if not worse than the managers he left behind. It was obviously not an easy job at Ipswich or at Stoke but the fact that he came in, there was no new manager bounce, his record was as bad if not worse than the managers he replaced (2 wins at each club) and you start to realise that a bad manager rather than bad situations are the main factor. His only skill is cleverly absolving himself of any blame but after so many failed jobs it starts to show. The only reason you seem to have taken such a shine to him is that youve met him a couple of times and he seemed a nice bloke. Which he may well be but a shite manager at the same time.

As a side note. I see that your return has coincided with using the laughter button as a way of attempting to deride posts you dont agree with without any actual debate.

Lambert has 1 more win than Hurst but same points. 

Has anyone done any better since Lambert despite spending millions after Millions? 

Ive asked for disagree and agree button. 

25 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

They have plenty of players proven in League 1 and some youngsters but their game time has been restricted following Lambert thinking only of his own job security and signing a lorry load of loans and players on short term contracts. So hes clearly going all out to survive and failing miserably!

Have you look into why he has signed players like Quaner, Judge, Bree and Collins? His quotes were in the local paper before the Rovers game. 

Ipswich had 3 youngsters in starting 11 and 2 more on the bench. Starting players were Kenlock, Downes and Bishop. 

Do you really think Harrison, Jackson, Nsiala and Nolan will stay after barely featuring under Lambert so far? 

also Hurst has only 2 of his signings in the current starting 11

• Backroom
1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Do you really think Harrison, Jackson, Nsiala and Nolan will stay after barely featuring under Lambert so far? 

I don't think they'll have much choice. They aren't going to tear up their contracts and no Championship club is going to come near any of those players after this season. L1 teams meanwhile probably couldn't come close to matching whatever wages those four have been put on after making the step up. 

In theory those four players should be a cornerstone of Ipswich's L1 team next year. Obviously not good enough for the Championship but they've all proven themselves good enough at L1 level and are likely going to be at the club no matter what. 

1 hour ago, DE. said:

In fairness their transfer strategy under Hurst was mainly bringing in the best of League 1 & 2, so in theory they should be somewhat well equipped to deal with League 1. As we saw when we went down, it doesn't take massive amounts of investment to make a team competitive in that league, so even if Evans only earmarks £2-3m for the transfer budget it should still give Ipswich a very competitive team for that division. Us and Wigan ran away with it last season on the back of pretty moderate investment.

That said we did also keep our best players in Raya, Nyambe, Mulgrew, Lenihan, Graham, Bennett, etc, all of whom were realistically better than League 1 standard. Ipswich don't have anywhere near the same resources in terms of quality players. The way they're bombing out of the Championship this year is proof that they're well below the required standard and in urgent need of sensible permanent transfers. We only just slipped out of the Championship in comparison. 

I agree 2-3 million should be enough for a big club to bounce back but it needs combining with the right management, Sunderland have just shelled out 4 million on 1 guy I think.

Bolton played a blinder in getting Parkinson who'd gone close with Bradford so knew that league inside out and TM played a blinder in getting probably the best player in that div in Dack plus the club held it's nerve with some high earners.  Not sure all that will apply to Ipswich all depends on who's steering it imo and of course if Evans will find a few quid or go damage limitation.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Lambert has 1 more win than Hurst but same points. 

Has anyone done any better since Lambert despite spending millions after Millions? 

Ive asked for disagree and agree button. 

Have you look into why he has signed players like Quaner, Judge, Bree and Collins? His quotes were in the local paper before the Rovers game. 

Ipswich had 3 youngsters in starting 11 and 2 more on the bench. Starting players were Kenlock, Downes and Bishop. 

also Hurst has only 2 of his signings in the current starting 11

Hurst got 9 points from 15 and Lambert has exactly the same. Plus throw in cup embarassment at Accrington Stanley.

You can dress it up how you want but in black and white hes not remotely improved at all upon the results of Hurst who was sacked for the same set of results. Lambert is lucky not to be under serious risk himself. With the same group of players (plus now some of his own players) he hasnt improved at all.

Harrison and Jackson are not Championship players but scored a fair few in Leagues 1 and 2, and Will Keane is just as bad if not worse, so what benefit is there to loan him in and play him instead? Nsiala and especially Nolan were 2 star performers in League 1 last year, and Edwards was excellent at Peterborough, surely they should be played with an eye on next season? He signed Callum Elder on loan who showed how bad he was at Ewood, but he has in the main blocked the progress of Kenlock in the team. Pointless signing.

As @DE. correctly points out, hes saying one thing and doing another, and playing Judge wide is senseless. 

Part of your argument defending Lambert is that he is or needs to plan for next season. With a lorry load of short term deals he is clearly not doing that. Your own personal high opinion of Paul Lambert the person is clouding your judgement as to how bad he is as a manager.

• Like 1

• Backroom

It's interesting because whilst Lambert is saying he'll be there for the long term, even if Ipswich go down, his transfer business suggests a desperation to stay up this season and a short term approach which would normally see a manager given the boot if and when it doesn't work out. His words don't match his actions and for that reason it wouldn't surprise me if he walks at the end of the season, probably citing lack of funds or support from the owner. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DE. said:

I don't think they'll have much choice. They aren't going to tear up their contracts and no Championship club is going to come near any of those players after this season. L1 teams meanwhile probably couldn't come close to matching whatever wages those four have been put on after making the step up. 

In theory those four players should be a cornerstone of Ipswich's L1 team next year. Obviously not good enough for the Championship but they've all proven themselves good enough at L1 level and are likely going to be at the club no matter what. 

I dont see any of the being there playing in squad. Might be at the club. 

57 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Hurst got 9 points from 15 and Lambert has exactly the same. Plus throw in cup embarassment at Accrington Stanley.

You can dress it up how you want but in black and white hes not remotely improved at all upon the results of Hurst who was sacked for the same set of results. Lambert is lucky not to be under serious risk himself. With the same group of players (plus now some of his own players) he hasnt improved at all.

Harrison and Jackson are not Championship players but scored a fair few in Leagues 1 and 2, and Will Keane is just as bad if not worse, so what benefit is there to loan him in and play him instead? Nsiala and especially Nolan were 2 star performers in League 1 last year, and Edwards was excellent at Peterborough, surely they should be played with an eye on next season? He signed Callum Elder on loan who showed how bad he was at Ewood, but he has in the main blocked the progress of Kenlock in the team. Pointless signing.

As @DE. correctly points out, hes saying one thing and doing another, and playing Judge wide is senseless. 

Part of your argument defending Lambert is that he is or needs to plan for next season. With a lorry load of short term deals he is clearly not doing that. Your own personal high opinion of Paul Lambert the person is clouding your judgement as to how bad he is as a manager.

Maybe he signed Keane of him being there next season. Same with Judge. But want to make they are right mindset and almost like try before you buy idea. 

Is Jackson or Harrison the type of strikers he normally plays with? He like a target man type striker like Graham, Holt, Martin, Bentake. 

On Elder wasnt he signed cos they thought Knudzen would go. Hasnt Knudzen block Kenlock path most of the season? 

6 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

The similarities being touted between Mowbray and Bowyer are a bit silly.

Mowbray appears to know what he wants to do with the club, how he wants to operate it and, from the outside, it feels like he has a plan and control. I never felt anything like that from Bowyer, although in his defence, we were still a mess in the upper management structure at that time. Then again, Mowbray deserves a lot of credit for seemingly having a hand in sorting that whopping issue out. He seems to be a strong character, and that's what a manager is largely about - to direct the club with conviction.

There is also once key difference between the two - at least on the pitch; Mowbray is getting above what I expected from this squad in this league. Bowyer, for the most part, didn't. I just think this "stability" tag is stupid to be honest, because it is clear that there is a proper plan, and not some rudderless bumbling along going nowhere in particular.

Mowbray isn't flawless - we've seen that plenty of times, not least on Saturday - but he is doing a far better job with the tools at his disposal than Bowyer ever did with his, and it's clear that it is going to take a bit of time to build a promotion-challenging side - but we're getting there.

To go from League One straight to knocking on the door of the promotion spots is not a bad innings for this season. Stability is the last thing I'd describe this season as. We've been making a "right good go" at it.

Consolidation is what this season has always been about. Mowbray has done a sterling job in that regard. 

He has done a sterling job but he has failed to strengthen the defence and he has not got a ready replacement for the inevitable times when Graham isn't able to play.

We have conceded 46 goals and have a -minus goal difference. Only Ipswich (bottom) and Rotherham (4th from bottom) have conceded more.

I can't believe that people can dismiss this when we've committed to £7M for a striker who, to put it mildly, is not ready for the first team.

So, great job BUT........

9 hours ago, 47er said:

He has done a sterling job but he has failed to strengthen the defence and he has not got a ready replacement for the inevitable times when Graham isn't able to play.

We have conceded 46 goals and have a -minus goal difference. Only Ipswich (bottom) and Rotherham (4th from bottom) have conceded more.

I can't believe that people can dismiss this when we've committed to £7M for a striker who, to put it mildly, is not ready for the first team.

So, great job BUT........

Point 1 might well be connected to point 3 perhaps when it came to the last window.... ?

We've obviously progressed under him but he talks a lot about improving our style of play and being more of a threat from open play yet all the players we have capable of playing like this get overlooked for Journeymen. 

Hopefully it's him slowly fazing the older ones out rather than being reluctant to play the youngsters. Showed best with Travis, only played cos Smallwood was sent off. Would've been sent on loan if he hadn't.

A lot of things have gone on in Zurich involving Rovers, Venkys and er....others !

Lets hope it was a planned constructive meeting and not Barry and his mates slipping under big sis radar again if indeed it was anything to do with Rovers at all.

• Like 2

Just now, tomphil said:

A lot of things have gone on in Zurich involving Rovers, Venkys and er....others !

Lets hope it was a planned constructive meeting and not Barry and his mates slipping under big sis radar again if indeed it was anything to do with Rovers at all.

I thought that was the place a lot of the SEM/Kentaro business was done also?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Mowbray doesn't trust some players he signs - fuming.

Rothwell wasted in this team, how Conway goes in ahead of him on Saturday is mad to me - first thing that happened was Conway give the free kick for the inevitable goal.

I get what you are saying but Conway was man of the match the other week and looked excellent. 

9 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

We were 5th for some time at the end of August and beginning of September. I'm also sure that we were 3rd at one point. 

Not really relevant, if we're going down that road we were top of the table on alphabetical order at half time on the opening day of the season as well!

Point taken about it looking likely to be a secure finishing position in the League. For me though it's been two fairly disappointing transfer windows and we seem to have a fairly odd attitude towards incomings in that they're only here to help the existing players and fill out the squad or sit on the bench. If there's no change to that attitude then to me we start again in the summer in much the same position as when we were promoted and with no real progress having been made.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pedro said:

I get what you are saying but Conway was man of the match the other week and looked excellent. 

We wouldn't make a judgement on the basis of one game surely? Overall, he hasn't done enough this season to deserve his contract extension.Too much loyalty to the squad that won us promotion.

We have players who are great in training and players who are good value in the changing rooms.

How about we pay due attention to the pitch?