BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17420511.tony-mowbray-believes-work-in-progress-rovers-will-improve/

All fair enough until you get to his comments on the goals we've been conceding:-

"I don’t see a major problem. The only statistics that matter at the end of a season are how many points you get and where you finish.  If it was a problem that really needed addressing, and we needed to be more defensive, we would have done that, but I don’t think that’s the case"

Smacks of complacency. It's not that we need to 'defensive', it's that they need to be coached to defend better...or replaced. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17420511.tony-mowbray-believes-work-in-progress-rovers-will-improve/

All fair enough until you get to his comments on the goals we've been conceding:-

"I don’t see a major problem. The only statistics that matter at the end of a season are how many points you get and where you finish.  If it was a problem that really needed addressing, and we needed to be more defensive, we would have done that, but I don’t think that’s the case"

Smacks of complacency. It's not that we need to 'defensive', it's that they need to be coached to defend better...or replaced. 

A quite incredible comment. Indeed the only stat that matters that the end of the season is where you finish but when you concede so many goals that is going to limit how high you can finish, its no coincidence that the last 3 seasons the two sides that have conceded the least amount of goals have gone up automatically. A very complacent comment which only strengthens my opinion that a mid table/top half finish is as good as we will ever get under Mowbray.

• Like 1

I don't think we have a problem defensively.

I don't need to replace Downing.

And .... he actually rates Bell & Williams as good defenders at this level.

I'm beginning to get very worried about this guys soundbites he needs his bumps feeling if he genuinely believes all that !

• Like 1

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 12:34, blueboy3333 said:

Conceded on 86 mins. Good job it doesn't matter.

It looked an awful team pre match and so it proved to be, the team was an insult to the travelling fans. He showed Reading far too much respect they are down the bottom for a reason. His favourites like Conway, Bennett, Smallwood aren't up to standard and his handling of some of our younger players particularly Rothwell and Nyambe has been poor.

His negligence in the transfer market cost us dearly tonight as it showed how little strength in depth we have, January showed his lack of ambition. I said it first of all after the Leeds game and I still believe it that he has taken the club as far as he can and I think it is time for a change.

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead

Pre kick off it looked like he was throwing the game and so it proved. 

But we don’t need reinforcements in January and we don’t have a problem in defence or with conceding late goals, or going to pieces after conceding one.

No problems here lads, move on....

• Like 5

• Backroom

I'm not at the stage for calling to the manager to go just yet, but there are some serious and very concerning problems in terms of our defending. It's no overreaction to say it's bad enough to put us in serious jeopardy if the team goes through a lean spell in front of goal. Needing to score 3 goals to win matches is never sustainable and will ultimately end badly. We got away with it in L1 because the opposition were very poor, but if we don't take action in the summer to correct this issue then I fear we are looking at a relegation battle next season. Tony Mowbray has shown absolutely nothing as of yet to suggest he can put this right. The ball is very much in his court to sort this out before it's too late.

• Like 2

Thought we played well first half albeit against a poor confidence less team but just the final balls, non existent crosses - something that badly needs addressing - and of course wasteful finishing. As always we cannot string two good halves together the Hull match has proved to be straight out of the GB era one big effort every 5 or 6 games.

If Armstrong wants to make a decent striker at this level he needs to be gobbling up those basic ball in front of him chances it's bread and butter stuff that.

Bells a crock of shit who hasn't improved one iota in his time here always seems caught in two minds whether he should be a wing back or left back and as a result he's usually in no mans land wrong side of his man.

Controversial opinion but I'd sack Mowbray tomorrow and bring in the former Fulham boss if possible.

This isn't due to any dislike but the fact we've been poor defensively for years and he's never even tried to address the problem. Even Pep sorted his defence out when he realised it wasn't good enough so style of football has nothing to do with the issue.

Thanks for the effort and job so far and the gem signings like Dack and Armstrong but time to move on.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

If anybody has even any remote thoughts that Mowbray should go, don't hold your breath; he's a LONG way off ever getting the can. I don't think even relegation would see him go.

No, I don't either, yet he is close to wrecking all the positivity built last season.  Unless we finish strongly or see some kids come flying through from the under 23s.  ST sales will plunge again.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

No, I don't either, yet he is close to wrecking all the positivity built last season.  Unless we finish strongly or see some kids come flying through from the under 23s.  ST sales will plunge again.

And you can guarantee Waggott and Mowbray will be in the media moaning about attendances (again).

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Move him upstairs, get Johnno in as first team coach. Venus and Lowe can go and paint the stadium.

I don't think there's any point in moving Mowbray upstairs - in my opinion, he is found wanting strategically and would offer next to nothing in terms of moving the club forward.

To me, it really feels like Mowbray is reaching tipping point.  M'boro at home followed by Brum away may well mean 5 defeats on the bounce.

I think there's every chance we could finish 18th which is roughly where I thought we'd finish before the start of the season. If that's what happens I guess we'll have to suck it up as we won't have gone down but it's not a state of affairs anyone should be happy with.

More importantly for me I expected the restructuring of the squad to have started by now but TM has shown no interest whatsoever in that, he only seems interested in signing players to sit on the bench and play cameo bit part roles.

As I said at the time when Waggott was appointed it's not a good idea to have TM virtually choosing his boss, it's a complete conflict of interest.

I have no idea what is going to happen now but I fear that it could all go calamitously wrong very quickly.

• Like 5

sack Mowbray? :lol:

IMO, no way should he be sack at all. Yet again this messageboard has far too knee jerked reaction after games. I remember last season when some of you said he should be sack and replace by Paul Hurst. The same Paul Hurst who upset everyone he could at Ipswich. 

and yes some of you need to realise that a mid table finsh this season would equal a good season for us. Some of you above have far too big expectations for some reason this season. 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I think there's every chance we could finish 18th which is roughly where I thought we'd finish before the start of the season. If that's what happens I guess we'll have to suck it up as we won't have gone down but it's not a state of affairs anyone should be happy with.

More importantly for me I expected the restructuring of the squad to have started by now but TM has shown no interest whatsoever in that, he only seems interested in signing players to sit on the bench and play cameo bit part roles.

As I said at the time when Waggott was appointed it's not a good idea to have TM virtually choosing his boss, it's a complete conflict of interest.

I have no idea what is going to happen now but I fear that it could all go calamitously wrong very quickly.

Between them him and Waggot have given most of them substancial pay rises on fresh contracts after promotion so they've tied up a lot of money there over the next few years. Justify is now the name of the game alongside signings like Bell, Brereton, Gladwin, Samuel etc, we/he could well be tied to things as they are for the next few years.

I can't help thinking that in a few cases a generous promotion bonus would have sufficed and held off on the contracts until summer.

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

sack Mowbray? :lol:

IMO, no way should he be sack at all. Yet again this messageboard has far too knee jerked reaction after games. I remember last season when some of you said he should be sack and replace by Paul Hurst. The same Paul Hurst who upset everyone he could at Ipswich. 

and yes some of you need to realise that a mid table this season would equal a good season for us. Some of you above have far too big expectations for some reason this season. 

Can i ask:

Does our defensive record worry you at all?

Does our continued throwing away points, often from winning positions worry you?

Does the fact that Mowbray is fiercely loyal to a number of players of limited ability worry you?

Does our inability to pick points up away from home worry you?

Does our total reliance on 2 players for goals worry you?

• Like 4