BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

There are no guarantees that we will buy well in the Summer. There are no guarantees we won’t get a bad run of fixtures at the start of next season and then get some injuries to key players. We are set to lose this season’s player of the season (time now) in the Summer. Can we replace him? We have a dodgy defence that the manager doesn’t think needs upgrading. Wil his hand be forced - or will Rodwell sign? Let’s face it, our scouts don’t seem to have rail cards, let alone air miles.

We could easily be in a relegation battle next season - top 6 could be extremely difficult indeed with the next three ex-PL teams joining. No team gets the luxury of picking and choosing when they go on a promotion charge. You buy well, inject them with fitness, give them a game plan and hope for the best. When it starts to pay off, you capitalise, you build and you try to take the opportunity that fate presents you. Last season fate gave us the chance to win the league and we simply didn’t bother. The manager didn’t care enough. Same this season. Maybe he doesn’t want to build up any expectation or pressure to then fail. Aim low, just about get over the pre-season target line, and then relax.

Not good enough. IMHO.

Stuart, there is no guarantees in life. 

Give the new scouting system time to work. 

I don't think Dack will leave in the summer. Rodwell is playing and seem to happy being here. 

Lets judge next season when we see the signings we make the summer. I'm not sure Fulham and Huddersfield will be challenging. For me, Depends on who Fulham manager will be and their recruitment/sale of players. Huddersfield summer signings will be interesting. Who the other team will be? I don't know. 

Hasn't Mowbray already set targets for the next couple of seasons? challenging promotion?

Edited by chaddyrovers

13 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Played a big part in what success at Derby? 

Jim Smith took him to Derby as his number 2.  Together they got Derby into the PL where they consolidated.

By the way, Jim used to manage Rovers !!!

Edited by Mercer

4 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Jim Smith took him to Derby as his number 2.  Together they got Derby into the PL where they consolidated.

By the way, Jim used to manage Rovers !!!

Ah look there is no doubt McLaren was a serious coach. 

Mowbray is loyal with the backroom staff as he is with players. Maybe Johnson could be brought in around the first team. 

There is a video on YouTube of a wolves training session. It's top quality. I do wonder about Lowe as his cv is less than impressive. In fact I can't find anything out about him. 

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The defence will have to be competent to challenge for promotion.

Who do you drop from Lenihan and Mulgrew? 

I think pretty much everyone agrees Williams needs to go. Bell can be back up, so a new left back is needed. 

Nyambe, I'm on the fence. We need someone at least as good as him, preferably better. No more Bennett there. 

Hopefully Raya learnt a lot this season. I wouldn't be against proper competition for him though.

The defence needs major surgery no doubt about it. 

2 hours ago, martonrover said:

He did it early in his managerial career, (with WBA), but we've had other managers who could say the same, (*cough* Lambert and Coyle!)

I agree, now isn't the time to judge, but he has previous of results tapering downwards. Coventry being a very good example.

What really worries me is his apparent lack of concern with regards to our defending.

It's clearly a major problem, but he doesn't even reference it in media interviews.

Probably not all Tony's fault, but I do think we missed a trick by not strengthening further in January.

We had turned a corner and results / performances were on the up.

We needed a bit of quality and cover in certain areas.

We didn't get it, and since the deadline have suffered injuries & fatigue to key players, and subsequent poor results.

With little or no chance of a play off push, it's quite possible the current dip will continue for a sustained period.

Yeah I almost expect results to be poor for a while tbh and I agree with much of what you say especially regarding recruitment. As far as his results going on a downward trajectory, I think it's the same for any manager, I just think people are being a little hasty by questioning it now. In our case, a change of manager is a massive risk with our owners and I just don't think the current situation is dire enough to warrant the risk. A lot rests on his transfer business and developing of our prospects. Next season we could be without Dack, Reed and Graham might not be able to do the minutes he has done this season, that's a lot of goals and quality to replace. Add to the fact that the defence and keeper positions need looking at too, he has a big summer ahead. What frustrated me about last night is that it was a prime opportunity to start getting our younger players game time and preparing them for next season. If you can get the likes of Butterworth, Rothwell, Nyambe, Chapman and maybe even the likes of Magliore (is that how it's spelt?) in the first team and learning what's required of them now whilst the pressure is off it might save us some money in the summer. What we don't want to do is sign players who block the path of our younger players who don't turn out to be much better and end up with a massive wage bill too. I just hope Mowbray see's it the same way, he seems to say similar things in the press but then last night benches Rothwell for Conway, I want to see some bold decisions from him now and in the summer. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Neal said:

Yeah I almost expect results to be poor for a while tbh and I agree with much of what you say especially regarding recruitment. As far as his results going on a downward trajectory, I think it's the same for any manager, I just think people are being a little hasty by questioning it now. In our case, a change of manager is a massive risk with our owners and I just don't think the current situation is dire enough to warrant the risk. A lot rests on his transfer business and developing of our prospects. Next season we could be without Dack, Reed and Graham might not be able to do the minutes he has done this season, that's a lot of goals and quality to replace. Add to the fact that the defence and keeper positions need looking at too, he has a big summer ahead. What frustrated me about last night is that it was a prime opportunity to start getting our younger players game time and preparing them for next season. If you can get the likes of Butterworth, Rothwell, Nyambe, Chapman and maybe even the likes of Magliore (is that how it's spelt?) in the first team and learning what's required of them now whilst the pressure is off it might save us some money in the summer. What we don't want to do is sign players who block the path of our younger players who don't turn out to be much better and end up with a massive wage bill too. I just hope Mowbray see's it the same way, he seems to say similar things in the press but then last night benches Rothwell for Conway, I want to see some bold decisions from him now and in the summer. 

Good post

38 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Stuart, there is no guarantees in life. 

Give the new scouting system time to work. 

I don't think Dack will leave in the summer. Rodwell is playing and seem to happy being here. 

Lets judge next season when we see the signings we make the summer. I'm not sure Fulham and Huddersfield will be challenging. For me, Depends on who Fulham manager will be and their recruitment/sale of players. Huddersfield summer signings will be interesting. Who the other team will be? I don't know. 

Hasn't Mowbray already set targets for the next couple of seasons? challenging promotion?

Disagree but I was actually referring to Reed.

Let’s just keep putting off judging anyone or anything indefinitely - worked with Bowyer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

We need a manager who is hungry and innovative.

Managers can get too comfortable and they do lose their edge, if they ever had one!

Think another issue is the quality of staff Mowbray has.  Have watched both Venus and Lowe closely on match day and feel underwhelmed - just can't see any spark.  Also saw Lowe several times with the Academy lads and again felt underwhelmed.  Have mentioned it before but think it's worth mentioning again - when United were at Ewood on one occasion, closely watched McClaren's pre match session with the United players, it was innovative and electric and you could see how fired up they were and how much of a buzz there was.

The trouble is that we are all prisoners of Venkys. We all know what we need but our experience with the confused ones is that's not what we are likely to get.

Its highly likely that TM will be here long after we've all given up on him.

33 minutes ago, Neal said:

Agree entirely &, just to repeat what I said in my previous post, I am absolutely not saying he should be sacked.

I just have a different perspective on what the future may hold to many others I read on social media, and see the forum as a safer environment in which to air my view.

47 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Who do you drop from Lenihan and Mulgrew? 

I think pretty much everyone agrees Williams needs to go. Bell can be back up, so a new left back is needed. 

Nyambe, I'm on the fence. We need someone at least as good as him, preferably better. No more Bennett there. 

Hopefully Raya learnt a lot this season. I wouldn't be against proper competition for him though.

The defence needs major surgery no doubt about it. 

Bell the first out the door for me. A perfect example of whats wrong with our defence. Cowardly, flimsy, allows wide men a free pass to get a cross in at will. I would drop Lenihan before Mulgrew, far too erratic, rash, over eager and really poor on the ball too. 

Agreed on no more Bennett at right back. Nyambe should be starting and only a desperate need to fit one of his favourites in somewhere is stopping that. Raya far too error prone, but dont see us getting anything other than back up there sadly.

I dont expect a defensive overhaul sadly with our manager seemingly seeing it as unimportant. Maybe a Bauer will come in as "competition." We need starters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, martonrover said:

Agree entirely &, just to repeat what I said in my previous post, I am absolutely not saying he should be sacked.

I just have a different perspective on what the future may hold to many others I read on social media, and see the forum as a safer environment in which to air my view.

I think a lot of folk have faith in him moving us forward based on what he's says in the press, I just hope we can hold him to his word. To be fair, he has mentioned that this isn't the side he's had with the most quality, I just hope that he rectifies that by getting rid of the players that aren't simply good enough to match his ambitions and replaces them with better quality... Or it will cost him his job. 

• Like 1

Found this on twitter. Thought I would share it. 

? "I love footballers who are humble, work hard, love the game, focus on what their job is and let everyone else talk about them. Just good human beings are the best footballers for me." ?️ @Rovers boss Tony Mowbray on the type of player he loves to manage...

https://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/mowbray-on-management/158476?aff=1197317997&dcmp=SL_TWITTER_TONYMOWBRAY1302

Edited by chaddyrovers

That's great but it would also be great if he liked a few 'good' players especially when there is a quid or two to spend. Sadly the good ones aren't always the nicest ones and some of the best ones might be a bit nasty.  The art is not having too many at once and having big enough balls to manage them.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Bell the first out the door for me.

Maybe a Bauer will come in as "competition." We need starters.

William should be sold this summer. I would keep Bell. He has performed much better than Williams. 

I expect Bauer to come in. Free transfer. squad player

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 11:53, JHRover said:

Quite the shopping list developing here for this multi-year slow build adding one or two a window we keep being told about.

Lets assume that Dack is sold in the summer, and Reed is out of reach for us (or possibly doesn't fancy hanging around being played out wide every week), and we can't strike a deal with Rodwell to stay on.

Then we'd need probably 2 CBs, a new LB, replacements for Reed and Dack, ideally an improvement on Smallwood, at least 1 quality CF to complement Graham (assuming Brereton improves and starts chipping in).

We've also got a lengthy list of players that need to move on. Gladwin will go, Conway will probably go, question marks around Samuel's capability at this level, Downing will be off, for me Williams can go if we can find a buyer.

A huge, huge amount of work. Even if we get lucky and keep Dack. To have any chance of keeping Reed he is likely to use up the majority of our budget, but will probably be beyond it. Either way we'll still need 4-5 others of decent quality to come in.

I don't see Dack leaving in the summer but if he did I think Mowbray would switch to playing 4-4-2 or 4-3-3. He mention something about going 4-4-2 last Saturday in the LT. 

unsure on Reed and I think Rodwell will re sign here 

for me in the summer we need:-

1 keeper to challenge Raya

1 right back

1 left back

1 centre back which I think would be Bauer on a free

1 centre midfielder. We will have Travis, Evans, Davenport, Smallwood. I would like Reed permanent

1 wide player

1 striker to compete with Brereton, Armstrong(who will play wide and up front roles depending on formation) and Graham

47 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

William should be sold this summer. I would keep Bell. He has performed much better than Williams. 

I expect Bauer to come in. Free transfer. squad player

I don't see Dack leaving in the summer but if he did I think Mowbray would switch to playing 4-4-2 or 4-3-3. He mention something about going 4-4-2 last Saturday in the LT. 

unsure on Reed and I think Rodwell will re sign here 

for me in the summer we need:-

1 keeper to challenge Raya

1 right back

1 left back

1 centre back which I think would be Bauer on a free

1 centre midfielder. We will have Travis, Evans, Davenport, Smallwood. I would like Reed permanent

1 wide player

1 striker to compete with Brereton, Armstrong(who will play wide and up front roles depending on formation) and Graham

Why do you want to rectify our terrible and neglected defensive record by bringing in someone you deem as a squad player?! Beggars belief.

• Like 1

Huge Summer Coming up in my opinion that could shape the next 4-5 years for the club. In my opinion plenty to ship out and plenty to bring in.

For me the Outgoings would be. Smallwood, Bell, Bennett, Williams, Samuel, Conway and Gladwin. All League 1 players at best. I'd also loan out one of Brereton or Nuttall to League 1 for a season.

Incomings that I think we need are:

A big dominant experienced leader to go straight into the team at centre back is an absolute must.

Also a must is some proper competition for Graham upfront.

A left Back that can defend.

A right back to provide adequate cover for Nyambe.

Harrison Reed as a central midfielder. If that's not doable then another central midfielder with some forward vision.

And finally one or maybe even two wingers, who can cross a ball.

Edited by Ewood Ace

27 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

To be fair he says he expects him to come in not that he wants him to.

Exactly what I said

28 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Why do you want to rectify our terrible and neglected defensive record by bringing in someone you deem as a squad player?! Beggars belief.

Maybe read what I wrote instead of jumping the gun.