BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Can i ask:

Does our defensive record worry you at all? 

Does our continued throwing away points, often from winning positions worry you?

Does the fact that Mowbray is fiercely loyal to a number of players of limited ability worry you?

Does our inability to pick points up away from home worry you?

Does our total reliance on 2 players for goals worry you?

1. away from home yes. at Home no. 

2. we are inconsistent team at the minute but that why we mid table team and not a top 4 team

3. like who? because you have admitted you wont take Dack or Graham off even if they are playing poorly so isn't that the same criticism as you are accusing Mowbray off?

4. answered that in answer 2

5. Mowbray has build his team around those two but now we need more all round but this cannot be done over night and he can not have the same attitude as you have by not subbing players who aren't playing well even if it Graham or Dack. Plus the only way we will be less reliance on those 2 is by playing other players and given them a chance not just the odd few minutes here 

Hope this answers your questions

• Like 1

Every time you hear a manager go with the "if we play like this for the rest of the season we will win games" tripe you know he has no ideas left and there is no hope he can improve anything. 

The worrying thing is he has made no suggestions he is capable or even wants to make massive changes in the summer, which are needed.

• Like 4

Like I've said above he can't really because he's tied a lot down to good contracts so he's stuck with them as only the best ones could be sold, we don't want to be going down the pay off route again then rooting in the bin to replace them because there's no money for better replacements, I think that's what he means really when he comes out with that stuff.

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

2. we are inconsistent team at the minute but that why we mid table team and not a top 4 team

3. like who? because you have admitted you wont take Dack or Graham off even if they are playing poorly so isn't that the same criticism as you are accusing Mowbray off?

5. Mowbray has build his team around those two but now we need more all round but this cannot be done over night and he can not have the same attitude as you have by not subbing players who aren't playing well even if it Graham or Dack. Plus the only way we will be less reliance on those 2 is by playing other players and given them a chance not just the odd few minutes here 

It hasnt really. Its not blind loyalty continiously picking 2 players who have scored double figures. Especially when we have been so poor and toothless when they have missed games.

It is blind loyalty continiously playing Bell despite being incompetent. Constantly shoehorning Bennett in, too often finding a place for Smallwood and Conway.

Your attitude towards our inconsistency is seemingly as relaxed as Mowbray, possibly part of your refusal to ever criticise him. Our defensive record is shocking because he hs neglected it, and a minority of his money and signings have been on defensive reinforcements. We have the luxury of a 7m striker to make only 2 starts yet have to make do with a wide man at right back, a central midfielder at centre back, and of the 2 signings he paid nominal fees for to improve the defence, one has left and one is the worst player in the team. Judging by his comments in the media our defensive vulnerability doesnt seem to concern Mowbray.

Conceding late goals and throwing away leads isnt a case of oh well, we are inconsistent. It wont go away by itself. Is Mowbray capable of fixing it? We will see.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Between them him and Waggot have given most of them substancial pay rises on fresh contracts after promotion so they've tied up a lot of money there over the next few years. Justify is now the name of the game alongside signings like Bell, Brereton, Gladwin, Samuel etc, we/he could well be tied to things as they are for the next few years.

I can't help thinking that in a few cases a generous promotion bonus would have sufficed and held off on the contracts until summer.

Good post. It doesn't bear thinking about if what money we do have has already been spent on the players who were given extensions.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

sack Mowbray? :lol:

IMO, no way should he be sack at all. Yet again this messageboard has far too knee jerked reaction after games. I remember last season when some of you said he should be sack and replace by Paul Hurst. The same Paul Hurst who upset everyone he could at Ipswich. 

and yes some of you need to realise that a mid table finsh this season would equal a good season for us. Some of you above have far too big expectations for some reason this season. 

2 questions:

First, What do you class as midtable? I'd call it 10th to 12th.

Second, Our form since Preston reads W5 D2 L9. 17 points from 16 games. Does that not concern you? Bit more than a blip isn't it?

The manager of the month curse has well and truly struck again for our Tony.

The thing is, he should never have won it in the first place. Because the truth of the matter is Mowbray is

Hopeless. 

The continuing defensive frailties are beyond a joke., and he hasn't a clue how to solve the problem. 

Rovers won't get anywhere with him in charge, but apparently he's unsackable because he's honest, and he's a nice guy, and he's "steadied the ship", and the tea ladies all love him.

In that case, shove him upstairs as director of football or Coventry / Middlesbrough liaison officer, or something, and bring in a coach who knows and understand football. 

Writing this very teed off after a 450 mile round trip and another abject and gut wrenching defeat that should not have happened

• Like 1

ÏMowbray is not going anywhere. He is contracted until June 2022, his mate Waggott is his 'boss' in name at Ewood and Venkys like how he deflects attention away from them.

His stated aim is family security and putting his kid(s) through Uni, his plan will be to finance that via Rovers not the Dole queue.

Be prepared for years of mediocrity, there is no way he can build an auto PL promotion capable team at Ewood, playoffs possible even for an average team hitting form at season end.

I am going to give him a max of 4 more transfer windows including friggin Januarys, with this summer being very important. He has players to replace and positions to fill but stymied already with his players contract extension madness. Like many I expect no progress, but for Mowbrays job to be safe.

I think we have been done up like a kipper but it's ok, he's a nice open and honest bloke.

And fucking Preston, from miles behind, are now above us. Amazing what a good January window can do!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

sack Mowbray? :lol:

IMO, no way should he be sack at all. Yet again this messageboard has far too knee jerked reaction after games. I remember last season when some of you said he should be sack and replace by Paul Hurst. The same Paul Hurst who upset everyone he could at Ipswich. 

and yes some of you need to realise that a mid table finsh this season would equal a good season for us. Some of you above have far too big expectations for some reason this season. 

Tony said we'd bounce through the division. Tony said the other day we were still in play off hunt. Tony spent £7m on a sub. Tony is raising expectations, not the fans. 

Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

No we're inconsistent because we can't defend. Which is the point R99 was making with his question. Which you didn't answer. 

Sticks in the craw a bit but PNE seem to be showing the way, decent fist of it last season before tailing off a bit. Some mid season recruitment on limited means this season to freshen things up seems to have done them good so far although whether they'll keep it up is another thing.

Ok we are a season or two behind them in those terms but they've not chucked about the money we have I don't think and i'll bet my last quid our wage bill dwarfs theirs.  Mowbray has created a really good base here now but on recent evidence he still hasn't eradicated the soft underbelly and defensive rubbish despite having a few opportunities.

• Like 2

A football club should be looking to constantly improve. As well as this squad has done, the momentum that got us through half a season at a higher level is now tapering off. No shame in that.

Therefore January was perfect for some fresh blood to get us through to May in good order with the phasing out of the limited players continuing now and in the summer. Shouldn’t have been a problem, considering there’s money in the pot, supposedly.

The signings of Brereton, Armstrong, Rothwell in the summer and now Chapman shows us that the club wants young English players, sell on potential and all that. But they need supporting with experienced heads as tomorrow often never comes with potential, and by the time you see results from young lads, the experienced heads have gone and the cycle starts again.

Some muddled thinking going on at the club.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Sticks in the craw a bit but PNE seem to be showing the way, decent fist of it last season before tailing off a bit. Some mid season recruitment on limited means this season to freshen things up seems to have done them good so far although whether they'll keep it up is another thing.

Ok we are a season or two behind them in those terms but they've not chucked about the money we have I don't think and i'll bet my last quid our wage bill dwarfs theirs.  Mowbray has created a really good base here now but on recent evidence he still hasn't eradicated the soft underbelly and defensive rubbish despite having a few opportunities.

Spot on in all aspects especially the bit about PNE adding a couple of bargains and freshening things up. I think Gally was in the centre of their midfield again last night. I suppose it goes to show you don't have to fill your team up with kickers and grafters, a bit of guile also goes a long way. Besides Dack we are very, very limited in that respect despite having spent a lot more money than the Nobbers.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

A football club should be looking to constantly improve. As well as this squad has done, the momentum that got us through half a season at a higher level is now tapering off. No shame in that.

Therefore January was perfect for some fresh blood to get us through to May in good order with the phasing out of the limited players continuing now and in the summer. Shouldn’t have been a problem, considering there’s money in the pot, supposedly.

The signings of Brereton, Armstrong, Rothwell in the summer and now Chapman shows us that the club wants young English players, sell on potential and all that. But they need supporting with experienced heads as tomorrow often never comes with potential, and by the time you see results from young lads, the experienced heads have gone and the cycle starts again.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17427579.rovers-summer-signings-will-focus-on-the-here-and-now/

"Occasionally I will buy for the future but you we have to improve the team from this point forward" - Mogga.

The emphasis is shifting according to Mowbray. It's all about the 1st team from now on. He said the same last summer though and then failed to land his targets. I'd imagine Venky's will be watching closely this summer if they give him a good budget like last summer - they won't want a repeat of spunking £10m for very little return. 

On that note I love the way in the article that the signing of BB is just dismissed by Sharpe as a long-term investment so doesn't count when discussing how much our team cost (£3m apparently).  Sharpe has gone full Pravda.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I think he is trying to blend it and we are going along the right lines if not actually on them at the min but the problem for me is his loyalty to his favs, some of them are the ones who need upgrading and to a decent manager with decent contacts it needn't cost the earth.  Problem is as said earlier he's tied them to the club now on good contracts for a few years so he has to try and rinse what he can out of them.

25 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Who we sign is obviously very important but its who we select that is worrying me more. That starting line-up had LOSS written all over it and I did not require any degree of hindsight to reach that conclusion.

That view was common on here before the game started and I repeat "if we can see it why can't TM?

If it was Kean we'd be asking questions.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

It hasnt really. Its not blind loyalty continiously picking 2 players who have scored double figures. Especially when we have been so poor and toothless when they have missed games.

It is blind loyalty continiously playing Bell despite being incompetent. Constantly shoehorning Bennett in, too often finding a place for Smallwood and Conway.

Your attitude towards our inconsistency is seemingly as relaxed as Mowbray, possibly part of your refusal to ever criticise him. Our defensive record is shocking because he hs neglected it, and a minority of his money and signings have been on defensive reinforcements. We have the luxury of a 7m striker to make only 2 starts yet have to make do with a wide man at right back, a central midfielder at centre back, and of the 2 signings he paid nominal fees for to improve the defence, one has left and one is the worst player in the team. Judging by his comments in the media our defensive vulnerability doesnt seem to concern Mowbray.

Conceding late goals and throwing away leads isnt a case of oh well, we are inconsistent. It wont go away by itself. Is Mowbray capable of fixing it? We will see.

there is surprise cos it doesn't suit your argument but its true tho. You pick players on form. if Dack and Graham are playing poorly they should be took off. 

Bell has been alot better than Williams. 

Conway has barely started all season. 

Rodwell position keep being discuss but didn't Mowbray said when he signed him he would play centre back for us. 

9 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

2 questions:

First, What do you class as midtable? I'd call it 10th to 12th.

Second, Our form since Preston reads W5 D2 L9. 17 points from 16 games. Does that not concern you? Bit more than a blip isn't it?

9th to 16th

No cos I expected a blip. 

I predict 14th at the start of the season

22 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

there is surprise cos it doesn't suit your argument but its true tho. You pick players on form. if Dack and Graham are playing poorly they should be took off. 

The trouble is if you take them off who is coming off the bench to get us a goal? We saw last night how toothless our attack is without them, for me the manager made a huge error not bringing in a striker in January. 

3 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

The trouble is if you take them off who is coming off the bench to get us a goal? We saw last night how toothless our attack is without them, for me the manager made a huge error not bringing in a striker in January. 

toothless? really?

4 good chances in first half. more shots than Reading. 

Personally, I'm far from reaching the point where I would want a change of manager.  I think Mowbray has done a very good job thus far and has the ability to take us forward in the long term.  However, as with every manager, it will come down to recruitment and results.  Last summer the stated aim was maintaining Championship status and anything better being a bonus.  I believe we will finish well above the relegation places but some distance from the play-offs which, for me, is a decent season after promotion.

This summer we need to recruit players who will make us stronger and take us to a point where we can be serious challengers for the play-off positions.  It won't be easy as there are clubs with money to spend from parachute payments.  However, it can be done as other clubs have shown over the years.  This is going to be a big summer in terms of recruitment and we have to get it right.  On the plus side we have a number of youngsters who could fill the 'squad' positions so that the money can be targeted on players who are the 'finished article'.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Personally, I'm far from reaching the point where I would want a change of manager.  I think Mowbray has done a very good job thus far and has the ability to take us forward in the long term.  However, as with every manager, it will come down to recruitment and results.  Last summer the stated aim was maintaining Championship status and anything better being a bonus.  I believe we will finish well above the relegation places but some distance from the play-offs which, for me, is a decent season after promotion.

This summer we need to recruit players who will make us stronger and take us to a point where we can be serious challengers for the play-off positions.  It won't be easy as there are clubs with money to spend from parachute payments.  However, it can be done as other clubs have shown over the years.  This is going to be a big summer in terms of recruitment and we have to get it right.  On the plus side we have a number of youngsters who could fill the 'squad' positions so that the money can be targeted on players who are the 'finished article'.

I'm also not at the point where I would want a change of manager.

However,  I'm far from convinced that Mowbray has the ability to take us forward in the long term.

His CV shows initial success at one or two of his previous clubs, then a fade.

I would wager the high watermark of his Ewood reign will be the home win against Leeds, and subsequent sixth place in the table.

We've lost seven of the last eleven games, and clearly have huge defensive issues.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure Mowbray realises these issues exist or has the ability to address them.

Tony's done a decent job in getting us back to where we were under Bowyer.

I couldn't see Bowyer taking us any further, & I feel the same about Mowbray.

I agree with you regarding summer recruitment, and feel next season will be a struggle if we get it wrong, especially if one or two key players move on.

• Like 1

Quite the shopping list developing here for this multi-year slow build adding one or two a window we keep being told about.

Lets assume that Dack is sold in the summer, and Reed is out of reach for us (or possibly doesn't fancy hanging around being played out wide every week), and we can't strike a deal with Rodwell to stay on.

Then we'd need probably 2 CBs, a new LB, replacements for Reed and Dack, ideally an improvement on Smallwood, at least 1 quality CF to complement Graham (assuming Brereton improves and starts chipping in).

We've also got a lengthy list of players that need to move on. Gladwin will go, Conway will probably go, question marks around Samuel's capability at this level, Downing will be off, for me Williams can go if we can find a buyer.

A huge, huge amount of work. Even if we get lucky and keep Dack. To have any chance of keeping Reed he is likely to use up the majority of our budget, but will probably be beyond it. Either way we'll still need 4-5 others of decent quality to come in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

4 good chances in first half. more shots than Reading. 

Reckon we would be in with a good chance of the play offs if the football league gave points for woulda , shoulda and coulda, bonus points for a good presser would make us automatic promotion certainties

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 5