BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Your expectations for the coming Season...

• Backroom

With the window shut and at best a freebie or two arriving in the next few weeks, I anticipate anywhere between 13th to 22nd. I think we will be in serious trouble if we pick up a few defensive injuries, but if we have good luck on the injury front we should probably be okay to finish mid-table again. We will be absolutely nowhere near the top six.

• Like 3

Just now, DE. said:

With the window shut and at best a freebie or two arriving in the next few weeks, I anticipate anywhere between 13th to 22nd. I think we will be in serious trouble if we pick up a few defensive injuries, but if we have good luck on the injury front we should probably be okay to finish mid-table again. We will be absolutely nowhere near the top six.

I think there's enough firepower and ability in the squad to potentially challenge the top 6.......but not with Mowbray in charge. 

With the current management team I think well be top half of the bottom half....i.e. 12-15th.

Edited by benhben

• Backroom
Just now, benhben said:

I think there's enough firepower and ability in the squad to potentially challenge the top 6.......but not with Mowbray in charge. 

With the current management team I think well be top half of the bottom half....i.e. 12-15th.

As it stands I think we're a couple of decent defenders away from being a side capable of genuinely pushing for the playoffs. IMV we'd need a manager with an exceptional ability to get the best out of limited players to get the current squad into the top six - we're talking an Allardyce or a Warnock, and as we know Venky's aren't interested in hiring proven, successful managers. They literally had Warnock ready to go and opted for Coyle instead. Total buffoons. 

• Like 2

I'd shake hands on survival right now. If Mowbray surprises me and manages to sort the defence out we might climb into mid-table. Likewise if the failings of last season continue or get worse we could easily drop. I think some forget just how  bad we were in February and March. Can't be like that again. 

• Like 4

Just now, JHRover said:

I'd shake hands on survival right now. If Mowbray surprises me and manages to sort the defence out we might climb into mid-table. Likewise if the failings of last season continue or get worse we could easily drop. I think some forget just how  bad we were in February and March. Can't be like that again. 

Equally I think many forget we got 60 points from 46 games, and to be relegated last year we would’ve needed to drop a third of them.

I personally think the playoffs are a push with our organisation in dire need of improvement, but I’m not sure how our summer business is going to push us back so far.

2 hours ago, DE. said:

Yup!! at least 9 or 10 teams on paper looking stronger than Rovers, and second season syndrome likely to be a significant factor.  On the flip side, there are, on the face of it, at least 3 teams worse than us, so 12th to 17th is realistic - barring disasters [ ie something like a leg break or cruciate for one of the starting back 4 ].

Fulham away will be a good litmus test - if they show up like the Rovers of last January and get a caning, then it could be an indicator of a long, tough season - if they're competitive and draw/lose by less than 2 then there's a glimmer of hope.  The fixtures don't look kind for a team trying to find its' feet, but there should be enough quality to get by, and there's now a bit more of a tougher thread running through the side to go with that quality.  Think we'll be ok, but not quite good enough or consistent enough to break the top half.

Expectations are constantly changing due to the way our club speaks. We're given mixed messages, we back track on things we say, one month it's this and a few months later it's that. The inconsistent message from the mouth of the club fuels all of the varied outlooks on here leaving us constantly wondering. 

So I don't really know what to expect but based on the squad and the state of play as of today, I think it'll be quite similar to last.

Mixed form, good and bad spells, the odd impressive win, the odd shocking loss in games where we're favourites. Finishing short of mid table. As ever there are factors that will make or break us. Genuinely think if the best defence is played and gels well (Nyambe Lenihan Tosin Cunningham) and we stay relatively injury free we could have a slight play off shout. But that's an idealistic viewpoint, it's just as likely the defence doesn't work and/or we get a few injuries - in that scenario say hello to shyte creek.

I just hope we find our best 11 soon and stick with it, only changing things if a player has a poor spell or is injured/suspended. Less of the 'I need to see him on the grass, he needs to learn how we play, he needs to this that and the other, as a striker he needs to learn the art of last ditch tackle'.. stop complicating the game of football, find your best 11 men for the positions that need filling for the formation you play ASAP and crack on with it. Not sure I see that happening with the way we fanny about, poor old Joe will probably continue to sit on the bench quietly hoping for a January move for the game time he deserves.

• Like 2

Really do not know what to expect. It really could go either way.

That said, noises from the club have always been about pushing for the playoffs for this season - so I would say that our expectations should match theirs. Do I think we have the squad to get there? Not really, think we will be somewhere in the middle again. 

I think the squad is capable of mid table if they play to their strengths and Mowbray picks the right teams.

However, I am very worried about the vibes emanating from the club. During that bad run starting in January we looked jaded and dejected on the pitch but managed to pick up at the end of the season I was hoping we would start this season refreshed and reinforced with defensive additions. It hasn't happened.

The manager seems tetchy and even angry. He's said a few things that indicates he is hearing the criticism from fans. He has not fulfilled his previous promises and he knows that has not gone down well. I get the feeling that all is not well in the player's camp - Mulgrew's departure, Bennett's twitter comments - none of this helps.

Waggott has been coming out with some weird statements about how we plan to improve performances ( without changing personnel ). 

A bad run at the start of the season will have a big impact, given the slightly depressed atmosphere at the moment, and I can see a relegation struggle and a fan backlash. We don't have players with enough bottle to really dig in for a season long scrap.

So, if we have a bad start I think the wheels will come off. If we are mid table after 10 games or so I think we will stay there for most of the season. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JHRover said:

Agreed  Have said all summer I'd take survival now.

Even more so after this window but it might take a change of manager mid season to secure that imo.

• Like 2

On paper we have enough to be mid-table but a lot will depend on the players actually delivering on the pitch.  I think we'll have a better idea of what the season will be like after the first ten games when the team have played a few games together. 

I think Johnson and Downing will definitely improve us and hopefully Travis will continue to kick-on and dominate in midfield.  Much will depend on Gallagher scoring,  Dack getting his act together and Graham staying fit.  One way or another I think it will be an interesting season and I must admit I'm quite looking forward to it. 

Saturday was a poor start and Fulham, Middlesbrough, Cardiff, Hull and WBA are all tough games to face before the end of the month.  Up to the players to show they are good enough to play at this level and cut out the mistakes that were far too frequent last season.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Strange one from Mowbray. Our approach to games seems to be so cautious and limiting yet he wants fans to start believing that top 6 and promotion is possible.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/17914908.rovers-boss-wants-holtby-signing-raise-expectation-levels/

Yet as soon as fans criticise that we won’t get into the play-offs playing like we do, with the odd team selections, or even while Mowbray is in charge, they are slapped down by other fans for being unrealistic.

Can only assume he is speaking to the owners. Maybe they have give him that target this time out. I would after backing him with money.

• Like 2

This is not to belittle Swansea, QPR or Preston but our points difference today against the clubs being tipped on here at the start of the season are:

Leeds -4

Bristol City -1

Forest -1

West Brom 0 (they have a game in hand)

Cardiff +1

Fulham +1

Boro +4

Brentford +5

Derby +5

Stoke +11

Huddersfield +12 (they play WBA today)

Edited by philipl

Just now, philipl said:

This is not to belittle Swansea, QPR or Preston but our points difference today against the clubs being tipped on here at the start of the season are:

Leeds -4

Bristol City -1

Forest -1

West Brom 0 (they have a game in hand)

Cardiff +1

Fulham +1

Boro +4

Brentford +5

Derby +5

Stoke +11

Huddersfield +12 (they play WBA today)

Still early though, just remember Villa last season at this stage were well behind us points wise. 

1 hour ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Still early though, just remember Villa last season at this stage were well behind us points wise. 

Simply posting an observation, not a forecast. 

Next three are looking tougher than expected- Luton will be giving it everything to avoid getting sucked into a relegation vortex while both Forest and QPR are going very nicely indeed.

I think top 6 is possible this season, and it should be our aim. If we don’t improve on 15th place then TM should face some questions about his management, we have spent money improving the squad and there are no excuses for any lack of progression. I think that if we could get our forwards firing then we’ll have a great season. The Brereton signing is looking more and more like a shambles but hopefully he comes back from injury and gets his chance to show what he’s all about. I have to admit it’s not looking likely. We look really strong in midfield now with amazing depth and good quality, and with a proper left back we are much stronger defensively. I’ll admit I was wrong to think we’d miss Mulgrew, early signs are that we are much better as a defensive unit without him. 

We keep improving every season so even without achieving promotion I’d keep TM in charge, he deserves to stay and continue his excellent work. Judge him at the end of the season, not after a bad run!

@JacknOry I highlighted some bold statements, hope you approve. You can’t seem to find any occasions where I make statements or critical judgements so feel free to pick me up on these ones after the event. Even if I am a generally positive and optimistic person, I’m not afraid to make predictions or criticise and I am ready to hold my hands up when I get it wrong.

47 minutes ago, philipl said:

Simply posting an observation, not a forecast. 

Next three are looking tougher than expected- Luton will be giving it everything to avoid getting sucked into a relegation vortex while both Forest and QPR are going very nicely indeed.

Just saying....pretty pointless stats in the middle of September

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If we looked more settled up front with a consistent goalscorer leading the line like Danny Graham was recently so to speak I'd fancy us for the play offs. As it is expecting the goals to come from everywhere else is a bit of a gamble.

Actually think if we had a proper forward I would fancy us for top two.