BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Totaly unfair to imply that the underlying issue is Mowbray's motivation stemming from his contractual situation. There is an obsession with his touchline demeanour, he is restrained in general and obviously he is going to appear more snappy and downbeat when results arent going as well.

This idea that a long deal leads him to just look after his mates etc rather than prioritising results is nonsensical.

• Like 2

I've been Mowbray out for at least 18 months prior to this season but I do think he's earnt a new deal. 

He's got a formation that works, a squad that's grafting and his record in the transfer market has proven to be pretty decent of late. If we don't go up this season I want to see continuity of a similar formation and the attitude of this current group remain. I think he has a cock up in him, as seen vs Hull but he has blown away the majority of my main criticisms this season and I couldn't have imagined we'd be in 2nd late January. New deal for me please 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Totaly unfair to imply that the underlying issue is Mowbray's motivation stemming from his contractual situation. There is an obsession with his touchline demeanour, he is restrained in general and obviously he is going to appear more snappy and downbeat when results arent going as well.

This idea that a long deal leads him to just look after his mates etc rather than prioritising results is nonsensical.

Alright then give him a 4 year deal and see what happens.

4 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I don't think you can ignore this season when looking at that question. Equally, it would be wrong to totally ignore the previous two (especially the run last year).

I think, assuming that there is no death spiral and we miss out on the play offs, a one year rolling deal is entirely fair. If we go up he deserves the financial security of knowing he'll get some pay off if we sack him during a tough prem season, seeing as he would have made us over a hundred million or whatever it is these days. If we finish in the play offs but don't go up, he deserves another go after massively overachieving this year.

I think that's fair, but also doesn't mean we'll go handing out a 3 or 4 year deal off the strength of one brilliant season. 

My thoughts exactly. He’s earned another crack at it, he built the squad, created the system, and he has definitely overachieved with these players. I wanted him out last season but it would be unreasonable and foolish to discount the excellent progress this time out. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I wouldnt give him a 4 year deal because that would be crazy but that doesnt mean needing to question his morals and his motivation.

I question his morals when he gives a 4 year contract to one of his mates kids when we had only just signed 2 other keepers and didnt need another one.

48 minutes ago, Darrenbot said:

I question his morals when he gives a 4 year contract to one of his mates kids when we had only just signed 2 other keepers and didnt need another one.

One of those keepers was a kid from a European backwater who clearly isnt nearly ready for our first team. We did need another keeper, clearly familiarity (as it does regularly in football) helped Pears and he has undoubtedly been crap but he had played 20 odd games at Championship level so its not for example a Myles Anderson situation.

2 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

West Brom manager sacked - who I personally rate extremely highly.

Will Mowbray stick or twist?

Big assumption that they would firstly go for him (compensation cost, has managed there previously so water under the bridge) and that he would go.

Lets hope not. Even the biggest doubter of Mowbray surely would not embrace the loss of our manager where we currently are.

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Big assumption that they would firstly go for him (compensation cost, has managed there previously so water under the bridge) and that he would go.

Lets hope not. Even the biggest doubter of Mowbray surely would not embrace the loss of our manager where we currently are.

Compensation with 6 months left on his contract - it would be miniscule.

The offer of a 3 year deal from West Brom vs expiring at the end of the season would surely be a massive pull? 

Edited by RoversClitheroe
  • Like 1

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

Compensation with 6 months left on his contract - it would be miniscule.

The offer of a 3 year deal from West Brom vs expiring at the end of the season would surely be a massive pull? 

Again, big if that they would go for someone that they have had in the past.

Regarding the length of contract, maybe it would lead to an extension here?

Lets hope they go elsewhere and leave us ticking along as we are.

1 minute ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Really think at the end we say goodbye to Mowbray, but that's just my opinion.

Not sure, ideally it doesnt need deciding now. Go up, what a bloody job done, new deal natural. Narrowly missing out, say in the play offs, still the progression is massive, surely in the best bet to continue? Fall out off the play offs entirely, we start again and let him go. Think thats fair.

Either way, lets hope he isnt taken mid season.

9 minutes ago, ElTwis said:

Has he been linked to West Brom? Must have missed that? Can't see venkys letting him go unless they are royally peed off with him after the Rothwell saga

There was an article the other day that Mowbray is top of the list.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.givemesport.com/1830430-next-west-brom-manager-58-yo-emerges-as-top-choice-to-replace-valerien-ismael%3famp

Edited by RoversClitheroe

Just now, roversfan99 said:

When is he signing a new deal here then?

90% just about leaves scope for it to go either way.

Nothing certain as we know from Rothwell!

Given where this has come from, stuck £50 on.  TBH, tempted to go bigger.

If WBA take an interest it is a tough one for old Tony.

Looking at it financially they will undoubtedly offer him more cash, a longer deal and a better budget to work with than cutback Venkys. Looking at it on paper he would have parachute money to bolster them if they didn't go up to have a crack at it next season.

He might not even get an offer beyond this season from us or might have been told he isn't unless he gets us promoted.

There's the emotional side having worked there before and seems to be popular still there with the fans.

Flip side is that WBA are something of a basket case that have churned through all sorts of managers over the last 4-5 years and have a strange owner. If they don't go up quickly they will have to make substantial cutbacks and as shown with Bilic and Ismael and even Darren Moore before them they won't show patience or hang about if results don't come - Mowbray could well be fired and back on the scrapheap. I don't think he is a manager that handles pressure too well and performs better with lower expectations and demands as we have this season. He'd be straight into the spotlight there.

From our point of view he often talks about the long term and loyalty and values so there would be more than a touch of hypocrisy of he dropped us in this position mid season to move to a rival. Could I blame him? Probably not because I think most sane people would want to avoid working with the likes of Waggott and Pasha but it wouldn't exactly stack up with his talk of loyalty.

Then there's the travel. We often hear about how tough he has life commuting away from his family on Teesside to Blackburn. If that is a struggle not sure how he would cope with going to the Midlands, especially after his comments when working at Coventry.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

As mentioned, Alex Neil has been waiting to be announced here for months and months.

Lets hope this isnt one of your twice a day as a stopped clock!

Would think Alex Neill is sat in his Longridge home rubbing his hands!