BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

He's earnt the right to see his contract out and you sit down at the end of the season and discuss matters. We're currently in real touching distance of the automatic promotion places, any other choice would be extremely unfair. As fans, we'll be sceptical, we'll see warning signs and God knows we'll all scream and shout on here. I've never been his biggest fan but I wouldn't even consider a change this season.

• Like 2

I have been a vocal advocate for change of manager however it is very clear that he has got to be given a huge credit for the turnaround especially after the Fulham game.

I think Rovers need 10 wins to assure a play off spot, after that its a lottery as long as don't finish in 3rd spot!

Anything above 30 points and we can dream of a runners up spot, of course we may see other clubs come from nowhere to make a challenge and we may also see other clubs buckle under pressure. 

Rovers just need a monster of a midfielder and a finisher up front.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ulrich said:

He's earnt the right to see his contract out and you sit down at the end of the season and discuss matters. We're currently in real touching distance of the automatic promotion places, any other choice would be extremely unfair. As fans, we'll be sceptical, we'll see warning signs and God knows we'll all scream and shout on here. I've never been his biggest fan but I wouldn't even consider a change this season.

Unless we go on one of those runs eh? The other and more frequent ones I mean.

2 minutes ago, 47er said:

Unless we go on one of those runs eh? The other and more frequent ones I mean.

And that's the chance we take, but we're 3rd for a change not within reach, as it normally is. If we nosedive, then he leaves without compo, if he keeps it? Who knows. Don't forget say we do go up we could be really cheeky and look elsewhere.

Some good points in that article but it's a bit of a propaganda piece for Waggot and TM i suspect a pal has arranged it.

The league position whilst being fantastic has seemed to cover up all the cracks of the last few years. We are doing great now and long may it continue and everyone deserves some credit. A little bit of perspective is needed though this is still the same regime that has presided over a lot of under achieving and odd decisions. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Devon Rover said:

Leaving aside for a moment some of my negative feelings about him over recent years; full credit to Mowbray for what he is doing this year. Having just seen his post match interview, and watched him during games, he is a completely different character to the one we've seen in the previous few years. Mojo in place and coming across as an ambassador for our club.

Similarly, what a brilliant, honest speaker Wilder is.

Imo Mowbray has always acted like a ambassador for the club. growth, journey, building a team the supporters can be proud off, all words directly from the Mowbray phrasebook that have been used to batter him with at times. Last season aside he has done a fantastic job at the club. 

This season we are witnessing a young hungry team that he has assembled busting a gut for him and the club. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, davulsukur said:

He's got a full season in league one to add to those wins mind you but still, an impressive stat.

And yet, he still can be the most infuriating manager at times.

Fairly meaningless stat, where is he on the all time list of longest serving managers?

I'd guesstimate in my 51 years of supporting the Club only Bob Saxton has been in the hot seat longer.

All that said, I hope Mowbray can add a further 12 wins to the tally before the end of the season.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Fairly meaningless stat, where is he on the all time list of longest serving managers?

I'd guesstimate in my 51 years of supporting the Club only Bob Saxton has been in the hot seat longer.

All that said, I hope Mowbray can add a further 12 wins to the tally before the end of the season.

Dalglish had 103 wins from 196 games. Mowbray has 104 wins from 249 games. Managers ahead of Mowbray for wins are :

Robert Middleton   238 wins from 605 games

Thomas Mitchell     127 wins from 263 games

Johnny Carey           124 wins from 266 games

Jack Marshall           122 wins from 329 games

Mowbray will not catch Middleton - who was manager for 18 years and won 2 league titles - but could become our second most winning manager. If we are promoted this season he will become the first manager in the club's history to win two promotions; Howard Kendall just missed on that.

12 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Dalglish had 103 wins from 196 games. Mowbray has 104 wins from 249 games. Managers ahead of Mowbray for wins are :

Robert Middleton   238 wins from 605 games

Thomas Mitchell     127 wins from 263 games

Johnny Carey           124 wins from 266 games

Jack Marshall           122 wins from 329 games

Mowbray will not catch Middleton - who was manager for 18 years and won 2 league titles - but could become our second most winning manager. If we are promoted this season he will become the first manager in the club's history to win two promotions; Howard Kendall just missed on that.

Thanks for those stats. Quite interesting. Didn't quite answer my query about where he is on the list of managers who have managed us for the most games though. Do I take it from that that by the end of the season he will have managed us for more games than anyone apart from Middleton and Marshall? Didn't Bob Crompton manage us over 2 separate and lengthy periods?

Let's not pretend he's better than Kendall either, Kendall was only here 2 seasons and didn't have any of the massive financial backing Mowbray has had.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Thanks for those stats. Quite interesting. Didn't quite answer my query about where he is on the list of managers who have managed us for the most games though. Do I take it from that that by the end of the season he will have managed us for more games than anyone apart from Middleton and Marshall? Didn't Bob Crompton manage us over 2 separate and lengthy periods?

Let's not pretend he's better than Kendall either, Kendall was only here 2 seasons and didn't have any of the massive financial backing Mowbray has had.

First of all, apologies, you are absolutely right in that Bob Crompton is ahead of Mowbray with 116 wins from 255 games, albeit some of those wins will be in comparatively meaningless games in World War 2. Crompton died literally on the job, having a heart attack watching a win over Burnley in 1941.

The only other manager with more games than Mowbray is Bobby Saxton with  93 wins from 257 games.

My reference to Kendall was designed to emphasise his greatness as a manager; along with Dalglish,Middleton and Mitchell he is one of the four greatest managers in the history of the club - although I do recall you wanting Middleton fired for picking Bob Crompton at right back ahead of Ryan Nyambe..............

• Like 2

No.

Obviously if we go up then he will stay.

If we don't though, do we go on another "journey" with him or do we try start afresh considering that we have a load of out of contract players, and that we'll probably cash in on Diaz and Kaminski?

I'd probably lean to the latter.

9 minutes ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

Any thoughts on Mowbray signing a new deal?

Personal view is we should sign him up to a 2yr extension asap... I think there will be a lot of interest in him.

I have gone from being a huge detractor to a fan...

No chance for me. 

Whether he wants a new deal or not or whether the current situation is keeping him on his toes is debatable, but it seems to be working just fine as it is. Why risk rocking the boat. Plus why on earth would you want to keep him if we don't get promoted?

The only way it should even be a conversation is if we do go up. I could accept under those circumstances he'd earned a  crack at managing us in the PL but even then I think we could do a lot better.

This season has been much better (not difficult) but let's not forget what went before, plus if we don't go up we still face the prospect of Rothwell, Lenihan, and Nyambe walking for nothing in summer then Kaminsky and Travis next summer due to the failings of management.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

No chance for me. 

Whether he wants a new deal or not or whether the current situation is keeping him on his toes is debatable, but it seems to be working just fine as it is. Why risk rocking the boat. Plus why on earth would you want to keep him if we don't get promoted?

The only way it should even be a conversation is if we do go up. I could accept under those circumstances he'd earned a  crack at managing us in the PL but even then I think we could do a lot better.

This season has been much better (not difficult) but let's not forget what went before, plus if we don't go up we still face the prospect of Rothwell, Lenihan, and Nyambe walking for nothing in summer then Kaminsky and Travis next summer due to the failings of management.

Ok so we don't go up... he has had us punching way above our weight this season and we replace him with who precisely? 

He has a formation that is working, done pretty well in the transfer market, buy in from the team it seems and is developing the youngsters.. not sure what else you want from him? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

Any thoughts on Mowbray signing a new deal?

Personal view is we should sign him up to a 2yr extension asap... I think there will be a lot of interest in him.

I have gone from being a huge detractor to a fan...

I don't think you can ignore this season when looking at that question. Equally, it would be wrong to totally ignore the previous two (especially the run last year).

I think, assuming that there is no death spiral and we miss out on the play offs, a one year rolling deal is entirely fair. If we go up he deserves the financial security of knowing he'll get some pay off if we sack him during a tough prem season, seeing as he would have made us over a hundred million or whatever it is these days. If we finish in the play offs but don't go up, he deserves another go after massively overachieving this year.

I think that's fair, but also doesn't mean we'll go handing out a 3 or 4 year deal off the strength of one brilliant season. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I don't think you can ignore this season when looking at that question. Equally, it would be wrong to totally ignore the previous two (especially the run last year).

I think, assuming that there is no death spiral and we miss out on the play offs, a one year rolling deal is entirely fair. If we go up he deserves the financial security of knowing he'll get some pay off if we sack him during a tough prem season, seeing as he would have made us over a hundred million or whatever it is these days. If we finish in the play offs but don't go up, he deserves another go after massively overachieving this year.

I think that's fair, but also doesn't mean we'll go handing out a 3 or 4 year deal off the strength of one brilliant season. 

If we miss out on the playoffs with the position we are in now then surely he has to go?

No way should we even be contemplating finishing outside the top 6 at this point unless we have an injury crisis 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

Ok so we don't go up... he has had us punching way above our weight this season and we replace him with who precisely? 

He has a formation that is working, done pretty well in the transfer market, buy in from the team it seems and is developing the youngsters.. not sure what else you want from him? 

I would want him to stop talking bollocks to the media.

Rolling contract is best for everyone, except his pension advisors obviously.

The cut backs meaning a lot of old favs HAD to go and a little bit of pressure from fans this season and probably inside the club has seen him get his act together in fine style.

No need to change that but a new 3 yr contract and losing some good players would be back to tea and biscuits shoulder shrugging as if this season never happened.

• Like 1