BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

• Backroom

MOTM awards aren't given out at HT.

That player might score two own goals and get sent off in 2nd half. (Highly likely if it's Shane Duffy).

When the final whistle goes, if Tony's season performance has been excellent I'll give him the deserved praise and take back/swallow my previous criticism.

I really hope he has me eating words come May. 

So far, so good. Let's hope it continues. 

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Silas said:

That player might score two own goals and get sent off in 2nd half. (Highly likely if it's Shane Duffy).

When the final whistle goes, if Tony's season performance has been excellent I'll give him the deserved praise and take back/swallow my previous criticism.

Totally agree and our final position has to at least a playoff one or the second half of the season would be a disappointment.

The first half has been excellent and has exceeded all my expectations, but it's only HT.

** Despite what ever others have said any promotion from the Second Division is not and never will be comparable to winning the top league title.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 2

On 23/12/2021 at 01:29, lraC said:

Simon, although to be honest, his late mother made me use Andrew as his middle name, as he was going to have Garner, had I got my own way.

I did,  my wife picked the first name which she always wanted for a lad  as he was  our first , but Garner is his middle name -  managed  to get a signed photo with him and my lads   when we had the  first large meeting  at St Georges Hall during the protests.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Out of interest, is anyone still in the ‘Mowbray Out’ camp! Surely not? I’ve conceded defeat! 

Yes, I,m another feel its been more luck  and forced arm -however possible  reserved credit for whats happened since the Foolem debacle but as with many still in the back of the   mind re the spirals and previous history.

Could be I'm fogged with the fact I didn't want him as manager in the first place but end of the season will be for when plaudits are given.

• Like 1

I’m definitely still in the Mowbray out camp. I just don’t believe he’s capable of delivering any more than mid table mediocrity over the course of a season. With this season he’s most definitely earned the right to see his contract out but if or when we tumble back to our 10th-14th zone of terror. I’d be moving him on.

I’ll be thrilled to be eating humble pie if he does any better but I just don’t think it’ll happen. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I can’t disagree with any of this but we have to be careful we don’t end up slagging him for losing and then claiming he’s lucky because he’s winning…

My thought is that in spite of all the frustrations of the last few years with Mowbray he has given more academy / youth players their debuts than any other Rovers manager in our history (fact) and therefore deserves full credit for this team.

If we’re honest then none of us wanted to start the season with this squad, includingTM. Had we been offered 10th or 11th then we’d have snapped their hand off! Many in here were predicting relegation.

The key, as you say is to keep the fire under this group, lit. But for me he doesn’t need to take us up to have done enough to prove himself. IF the manager takes us up with THIS team on THIS budget then the achievement will be in Leicester winning the PL, Bournemouth fairytale, Rovers winning the PL fairytale league! Mowbray and our best players will be highly sought after!

So, whilst I agree the jury is out, the scales are certainly tipping! 

Would be an excellent season and achievement if we went up, but on par with Leicester winning the Premier League? Behave!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, rigger said:

At the beginning of the season, just as unlikely.

Absolutely not. Leicester were the favourites for relegation in a league with big teams like United, City, Liverpool, Chelsea etc.

I have always maintained that for us to get even into the top 6, it would take overachievement, but not an unfathomable or unrealistic one. Barnsley made the play offs last season, it is a poor league with usually 2 or 3 teams likely to make the top 6 and then its a bit of an open floor. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, desrover said:

I think that the odds for Leicester to win the Premier League back then were around 5000-1.   

What were Rovers odds this year?

I don't know what the Rovers odds to get promoted where, but you could get 1000-1 on our main striker getting 20 goals this season.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Out of interest, is anyone still in the ‘Mowbray Out’ camp! Surely not? I’ve conceded defeat! 

A foot in each at the moment. 

Can't deny the season has is going superbly and to be in with a shot of going joint top (even temporarily) is incredible.

But a winless streak being around the corner is always in the back of my mind.

Perhaps harsh but I can only judge him based on the end of season position.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Silas said:

Hopefully there will be humble pie all around. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CAPT KAYOS said:

I did,  my wife picked the first name which she always wanted for a lad  as he was  our first , but Garner is his middle name -  managed  to get a signed photo with him and my lads   when we had the  first large meeting  at St Georges Hall during the protests.

Your Mrs must be a touch more understanding than mine was. Brilliant though and I take my hat off to you.

Edited by lraC

• Backroom

I would have removed him at the end of last season, I would have also removed him a handful of games into league one.

He’s absolutely proved me wrong, if this goes sour it’s been brilliant to have the belief and hope back.

The owners need to back him now if he wants to spend in January, if he wants a new contract he’s got it on merit.

• Like 5

Will this Mowbray Win spiral never end!!!!🤪

still can't really stand the bloke personally and I don't think/feel our club is his number 1 priority, we are where we are though and getting out of this league would be fantastic, we're also once again playing the true rovers way and not fannying about too much

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom said:

I would have removed him at the end of last season, I would have also removed him a handful of games into league one.

He’s absolutely proved me wrong, if this goes sour it’s been brilliant to have the belief and hope back.

The owners need to back him now if he wants to spend in January, if he wants a new contract he’s got it on merit.

I'd prefer them to stick to the bonus route then talk a new contract in May.

Otherwise the ;journey' could find itself being reset again. Keep a bit of pressure on him its doing him good never in his history here has he resisted tinkering until now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

I'd prefer them to stick to the bonus route then talk a new contract in May.

Otherwise the ;journey' could find itself being reset again. Keep a bit of pressure on him its doing him good never in his history here has he resisted tinkering until now.

Yeah, bringing Gallagher on instead of Dolan was worryingly old Tony.

• Like 3

In defence of TM the Gally impact substitute thing has worked in the past. His stats are far better than when he comes on as a sub than when he starts (I think.) That said plan A was clearly working so a more like for like substitution would have made more sense. Fresh legs as oppose to a new plan seemed to be needed.