BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

• Backroom
1 hour ago, RoversClitheroe said:

How do I put someone on ignore who's trying to wind people up?

I'm highlighting your post here but it goes out as a general point - if you genuinely believe somebody is on the wind up then the best thing to do is both ignore and report it. Genuine WUMs are posting for attention - by receiving replies their craving for attention is satisfied. The best thing anyone can do in that situation is to completely ignore the post, no matter how provocative it is, and report it so that we can deal with it. There's little point spending time writing a long rebuttal to troll posts as we will inevitably have to remove the responses too, meaning the poster has essentially wasted their time responding. 

Sometimes there are posts that straddle the line and are difficult to conclusively say are wind up posts or not, so we may leave them up, however in these instances I'd still advise ignoring if you wouldn't be able to respond without throwing in a personal attack on said poster. I've seen far too many very solid debate posts ruined by a line or two of personal attack which not only weakens the argument the person is making, but also means it'll probably end up hidden anyway.

• Like 3

Mowbray should have been sacked in the 17 game run at the back end of last season. It was horrible to watch. But he didn’t and he has managed to turn things around.

Ill eat the humble pie and say I’d have sacked him but I have been proven wrong. No biggy. I’m not a CEO. I still believe TM would have gone at any other club. Yet here we are now, 3rd in the league and with a squad that is brilliant to watch. That might not be happening if we had sacked Mowbray because the alternative could have been a bad choice. 

Mowbray still has the job to do of convincing the players to sign up. If he can’t sell it to them on the back of this form then there’s problems. 

Edited by Dreams of 1995
  • Like 7

11 hours ago, Wood26 said:

No I don’t expect to find people not backing him now. Which is my point. We have backed the manager the whole way, he deserves a statue alone for the league 1 promotion. The Mowbray out crew who we had to argue with weekly have vanished, I’m just interested to hear what they think now? Are they still wanting him out? Or are they seeing the bigger picture? I shouldn’t have to ask, but they gone quiet, so I have.

From what I hear, they are waiting to see if the inevitable fall happens in 2022. Not many people believe that with TM’s previous death spirals along with covid, the threadbare squad and the contract situation it can possibly continue but there’s a quiet optimism.

• Backroom
10 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Mowbray should have been sacked in the 17 game run at the back end of last season. It was horrible to watch. But he didn’t and he has managed to turn things around.

Ill eat the humble pie and say I’d have sacked him but I have been proven wrong. No biggy. I’m not a CEO. I still believe TM would have gone at any other club. Yet here we are now, 3rd in the league and with a squad that is brilliant to watch. That might not be happening if we had sacked Mowbray because the alternative could have been a bad choice. 

Mowbray still has the job to do of convincing the players to sign up. If he can’t sell it to them on the back of this form then there’s problems. 

A fair post, although I'd still say 'proven wrong' is debateable as we simply don't know what would have happened if Mowbray had been given the boot. Based on Venky's tenure you'd initially assume things would get worse, however they are the same owners who appointed Mowbray and financed the current squad in the first place, so, who's to say we wouldn't have gotten somebody in who would have delivered the same or better results than Mowbray? It seems unlikely but it can't be ruled out. 

A lot also depends on where we are by the end of the season. It's nice to be 3rd in mid-December, far above where any of us realistically expected to be, but if by the end of the season we're back in mid-table - particularly if we have a sell off in January which ruins our momentum - then ultimately not much will have changed. We could then have a very difficult summer in terms of players leaving, and in the seasons following we could see the real legacy of the fabled journey. 

As it stands the humble pie is in the oven, but I won't be eating it until we have a better idea of where we stand at the end of the season.

Edited by DE.
  • Like 3

Might be controversial, but I don't think the team was playing that badly last season either. There was a sense of inevitability about every game last season where if something could go wrong it would. The number of long-term injuries we got to key players throughout the season was enough to kill squad morale, but we also had a crazy number of poor referee decisions go against us and we got punished almost immediately for every individual mistake.

This season it's not been like that at all. We've managed to retain a healthy, stable squad - Poveda aside, we haven't had any significant injuries in the squad. Against Birmingham yesterday, even though we were really comfortable there were some worrying moments like Rothwell's misplaced pass and the shot that hit the crossbar. Last season, 100% one of those would have resulted in a goal, but this season has been completely different. 

That said, the team has definitely stepped it up a level. Almost every player has improved in quality and confidence. The team have matured significantly and things have started to gel. It's just a pleasure watching them week in, week out. 

I don't think Mowbray is much of a tactician, but he seems like a great man manager and he's kept the team happy and motivated. That makes a massive difference in this league and I still think he can get us promoted. However, I'm not convinced that he can keep us in the PL if we get there. A team needs more than just good vibes in the PL and ultimately you either need top quality players or a more pragmatic manager to survive long term. 

5 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

In his comments after yesterday’s game he was still bigging up the likes of Evans and Holtby etc and saying what a massive loss they were. That tells me he hasn’t learnt much.

That's why i fear a revert to type at some point, probably after a defeat or wobble the inevitable rotating and sitting back will start again. We've seen it before but we've never had a side as spectacular as this so if he drastically changes things again and we fall away there'll be hell to pay on here.

There was the talk that him and Venus had opposite views about how to play fueled by the Graham interview. Then at times last season he's slumped on the bench whilst Venus was on the touchline. That hasn't been the case this season so far so there might be something in that.

Imo this team is self motivating being all young lads with points to prove. So the dynamic has changed a bit just from that and we are seeing the benefits of fit young hungry players over more experienced but set in their ways journeymen.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Wood26 said:

No I don’t expect to find people not backing him now. Which is my point. We have backed the manager the whole way, he deserves a statue alone for the league 1 promotion. The Mowbray out crew who we had to argue with weekly have vanished, I’m just interested to hear what they think now? Are they still wanting him out? Or are they seeing the bigger picture? I shouldn’t have to ask, but they gone quiet, so I have.

A statue? 

Jeezus. Statues should be for club legends. Dalgeish, Hughes, Souness all deserve one 100x more than TM and i probably wouldnt want any of them getting one. 

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

A statue? 

Jeezus. Statues should be for club legends. Dalgeish, Hughes, Souness all deserve one 100x more than TM and i probably wouldnt want any of them getting one. 

He'll be up there if he can get Rovers up to the PL amidst all the turmoil, not sure about a statue though.

I'd be happy for Dalglish to have a statue though. That man brought so much joy to my formative years, and amongst thousands of people at the homecoming as he was dashing by he decided to turn round and shake my hand, so he gets my vote.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Miker said:

Might be controversial, but I don't think the team was playing that badly last season either. There was a sense of inevitability about every game last season where if something could go wrong it would. The number of long-term injuries we got to key players throughout the season was enough to kill squad morale, but we also had a crazy number of poor referee decisions go against us and we got punished almost immediately for every individual mistake.

This season it's not been like that at all. We've managed to retain a healthy, stable squad - Poveda aside, we haven't had any significant injuries in the squad. Against Birmingham yesterday, even though we were really comfortable there were some worrying moments like Rothwell's misplaced pass and the shot that hit the crossbar. Last season, 100% one of those would have resulted in a goal, but this season has been completely different. 

That said, the team has definitely stepped it up a level. Almost every player has improved in quality and confidence. The team have matured significantly and things have started to gel. It's just a pleasure watching them week in, week out. 

I don't think Mowbray is much of a tactician, but he seems like a great man manager and he's kept the team happy and motivated. That makes a massive difference in this league and I still think he can get us promoted. However, I'm not convinced that he can keep us in the PL if we get there. A team needs more than just good vibes in the PL and ultimately you either need top quality players or a more pragmatic manager to survive long term. 

Never! We were awful from December-ish, before the full rot in terms of results had even set in.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, booth said:

He'll be up there if he can get Rovers up to the PL amidst all the turmoil, not sure about a statue though.

I'd be happy for Dalglish to have a statue though. That man brought so much joy to my formative years, and amongst thousands of people at the homecoming as he was dashing by he decided to turn round and shake my hand, so he gets my vote.

Yeah he would top the list.

6 hours ago, Tugay-is-God said:

Never! We were awful from December-ish, before the full rot in terms of results had even set in.

I think we were shambolic defensively when Braithwaite came into the back four and agree we were absolutely dreadful during that period. We started picking up steam again after that though with Dack returning and scoring 2 in 2 before being injured again. We deteriorated again after that injury and didn't recover until it was too late. I remember thinking that 1-0 loss at Brentford was the end of our season. Their only goal was from a non-penalty and then we weren't given a penalty of our own late on when Raya fouled Dack in the box. 

A lot of the games post-Braithwaite we were the better team but lost points due to stupid penalties or back passes given away. 

• Like 2

Steve Kean once got some 'monumental' results at Rovers. I remember him using that word to describe us getting 'back to back clean sheets'.

Then I wondered when the last time Rovers won 5 games on the bounce without conceding a goal. As far as I can see, it was in 1980!!! Excellent work from the current team.

Screenshot 2021-12-20 084559.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Miker said:

I think we were shambolic defensively when Braithwaite came into the back four and agree we were absolutely dreadful during that period. We started picking up steam again after that though with Dack returning and scoring 2 in 2 before being injured again. We deteriorated again after that injury and didn't recover until it was too late. I remember thinking that 1-0 loss at Brentford was the end of our season. Their only goal was from a non-penalty and then we weren't given a penalty of our own late on when Raya fouled Dack in the box. 

A lot of the games post-Braithwaite we were the better team but lost points due to stupid penalties or back passes given away. 

I know we were going through something of an injury crisis, but Branthwaite was the perfect example of the sort of Prem loan that you don't want. I.e. a player who has all the attributes for a good career but needs a spell of making mistakes so his parent club can feel the benefit.

A player who'll probably have a good career, but a few of the performances he put in for us were up there for some of the worst for a centre half in our recent history. Agree with @tomphil though that our possession game was partially responsible too. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, booth said:

Second half of the season we were truly abysmal.

The biggest difference for me, was how we looked so vulnerable and not just at the back. I have always been a believer that we defend from the front and everyone has to be aware of their responsibility when we lose the ball. Last season, with the possession based game we were playing, we were just picked off on the counter, time after time and had gaping holes everywhere you looked.

The most pleasing aspect of this season run, since the Fulham game, is everyone suddenly seems to be aware of this and we are snapping at the heels of players to win the ball back.

No team flukes 5 clean sheets in a row, clearly this is now the mentality and despite the 7 in one game, conceding 9 in the last 8 speaks volumes. If Mowbray has drilled this into the squad fair play, as we haven't looked as solid as this, in over a decade.

• Like 2

I know some may still be on the fence with TM due to past season's implosions or what have you, but really can't argue with the way he has this team playing right now. Absolute joy to watch as a fan, and I can't wait to see us again which is good to say as tbh in last couple season's I dreaded to see us play lol.

Edited by Officer Barbrady
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I know we were going through something of an injury crisis, but Branthwaite was the perfect example of the sort of Prem loan that you don't want. I.e. a player who has all the attributes for a good career but needs a spell of making mistakes so his parent club can feel the benefit.

A player who'll probably have a good career, but a few of the performances he put in for us were up there for some of the worst for a centre half in our recent history. Agree with @tomphil though that our possession game was partially responsible too. 

Van Hecke is the same, his big mistake in the Fulham game really cost us, but thankfully he’s learned from his mistake. Probably the missed game time allowed the coaching staff to really work on him. He’ll go back a better player than he arrived. That’s the frustrating part, as Carter has looked good when he’s played, and proved last seasons loan at Brentford did him good. He now needs to go to a lower Championship team for that next step up. Someone from Swansea downwards in the league.

• Like 1