BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Came across as a really sound guy at the 'Evening with' event a real placid guy considering how aggressive he was on the pitch.

At the end of the day he got about 100 grand a week and a signing on fee to go to Russia, it's also no secret that our billionaire owners owed Barclays 10 million and weren't stumping up.

Also Kean was the manager for gods sake so i attatch no blame whatsoever to Chris bailing out. He'd have been shoved anyway sooner or later by Anderson and co.

• Like 9

On 13/12/2021 at 12:24, oldjamfan1 said:

I'm glad you're feeling a bit better after what you've been through mate. Take it easy. It sounds like you're an open enough book to not be afraid of speaking up about your mental health, which is half the battle.

You've got plenty of people on BRFCS on your side, take care.

Thanks fella, & the others who liked my post. Tbh I'm only just coming to terms with how important it is to speak openly about mental health struggles, but I'm getting there.

Let's just say it's a journey, to bring it back on topic!

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

Thanks fella, & the others who liked my post. Tbh I'm only just coming to terms with how important it is to speak openly about mental health struggles, but I'm getting there.

Let's just say it's a journey, to bring it back on topic!

It's something we all go through at one time or another. No shame in talking about it. 

I'm sure there will be no shortage of support on here. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

I'm sure they will all come out of the woodwork when we get beat next.

No doubt, I mean can you blame them? Mowbray using his Boro connections to sign Downing, Ayala and Pears…what was he thinking.

Please don’t ban me like last week, I’m sincerely asking, thoughts on Mowbray? Because a large part of fan base has backed him (especially fans that go games) and we was dismissed as idiots. So keen to hear, what’s your thoughts?

• Like 1

• Backroom
13 minutes ago, Wood26 said:

I do mean that, but I’m not. I want to know what those fans think now? Do they back him? Do you?

Do you think you're gonna find many fans that don't back a manager in 3rd position? 

Not likely is it, but I have a feeling that's not the aim. 

P.S. You had to scroll so far because no one had yet come to the thread to congratulate Mowbray on the great job he's currently doing (although many had in the match thread).

Oddly, your post reigniting the thread didn't do that either. 🤔

• Like 2

We spent all last season trying to learn "the possession game" and, after a good start, it led to one of the most boring and pointless(in both senses) seasons in our history with 2 wins in 17 at one point and relegation being a distinct possibility. Crowds dwindled and fans voted with their feet at season ticket renewal time, leading to the lowest crowds at Ewood since Jack took over.

All pointed out at the time by plenty but not you.

He deserved to be sacked at that point and I have no reservations about that.

He has turned it around this season, a significant factor being the abandonment of the possession game he wasted all this season on.

By way of illustration we won 4-0  and Birmingham had significantly more possession than we did!

I'm glad he's turned it around but he should have woken up much earlier, just like he should have played some of the young lads earlier than he did. But he had to justify keeping on the older has-beens he'd lavished contracts on.

So, yes I back him now, I want nothing to interrupt the run we are on.

But if we are promoted, I'll think again. His record at top level is poor.

"we was dismissed as idiots"---classic!

Edited by 47er
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Silas said:

Do you think you're gonna find many fans that don't back a manager in 3rd position? 

Not likely is it, but I have a feeling that's not the aim. 

P.S. You had to scroll so far because no one had yet come to the thread to congratulate Mowbray on the great job he's currently doing (although many had in the match thread).

Oddly, your post reigniting the thread didn't do that either. 🤔

No I don’t expect to find people not backing him now. Which is my point. We have backed the manager the whole way, he deserves a statue alone for the league 1 promotion. The Mowbray out crew who we had to argue with weekly have vanished, I’m just interested to hear what they think now? Are they still wanting him out? Or are they seeing the bigger picture? I shouldn’t have to ask, but they gone quiet, so I have.

6 minutes ago, 47er said:

We spent all last season trying to learn "the possession game" and, after a good start, it led to one of the most boring and pointless(in both senses) seasons in our history with 2 wins in 17 at one point and relegation being a distinct possibility. Crowds dwindled and fans voted with their feet at season ticket renewal time, leading to the lowest crowds at Ewood since Jack took over.

All pointed out at the time by plenty but not you.

He deserved to be sacked at that point and I have no reservations about that.

He has turned it around this season, a significant factor being the abandonment of the possession game he wasted all this season on.

By way of illustration we won 4-0  and Birmingham had significantly more possession than we did!

I'm glad he's turned it around but he should have woken up much earlier, just like he should have played some of the young lads earlier than he did. But he had to justify keeping on the older has-beens he'd lavished contracts on.

So, yes I back him now, I want nothing to interrupt the run we are on.

But if we are promoted, I'll think again. His record at top level is poor.

"we was dismissed as idiots"---classic!

I don't think we've had the majority of possession in any of the games we've won this year. 

I don't care one iota. Let the opposition have 99% possession just as long as we have 100% of the goals.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wood26 said:

No I don’t expect to find people not backing him now. Which is my point. We have backed the manager the whole way, he deserves a statue alone for the league 1 promotion. The Mowbray out crew who we had to argue with weekly have vanished, I’m just interested to hear what they think now? Are they still wanting him out? Or are they seeing the bigger picture? I shouldn’t have to ask, but they gone quiet, so I have.

I'm no fan. Mogadon and Maggot out.🤗

Venkys too

Edited by Sparks Rover

Just now, 47er said:

I've answered you above but I won't be bothering again. You are just on the wind-up.

Nobody "has gone quiet" we're all too busy lapping up unexpected success. And please don't put your adherence to Mowbray as evidence of superiority or wise judgement. You are just a dull happy clapper who unthinkingly accepts the status quo.

I’m not on a wind up. I agree with what you said above about that 17 game run, he should of gone. But he didn’t, and he’s built a really good teams with no money since he’s been here.

I have always wanted Mowbray to get the respect he deserves for saving us from league 1. I was ready to part ways with him after last season, but he’s bounced back and I fully support him.

The team we have deserves more fans and I hope the club can sort the prices and bring them in.

3 hours ago, Wood26 said:

I’d still be happy to see Mowbray out. Why. Because even in the lofty position of 3rd I still don’t think he’s capable of delivering more than mediocrity over the course a season. If we get play offs he’s clearly overachieved and will get all the plaudits coming his way and only then people can eat humble pie and admit they were wrong. I think you’re a little premature claiming the win.

The biggest criticism people have had of Mowbray is him not playing the same players, in the same formation, playing in same positions (preferably their correct positions) or even the same style of football. I’ve no idea why he’s dropped the tombola act but I am enjoying it. Also with some of the things he’s come out with there’s no denying he’s a prat whether he is successful or not.

However, it would be churlish not to give him credit now. In the same way when it all goes tits up like usual again he’ll deserve all the criticism coming his way. Maybe with the young lads unscarred by the usual death spirals and Mowbray not tinkering with personnel, tactics and style every bloody game it’ll be different but I won’t hold my breath.

• Like 2

Deserves a statute for coming second in the third division! ‘Kin ell! 😁

As a reminder this is a club with no statue of Lewis, Crompton, Briggs, Clayton, Douglas, Lee, Kendall, Faz, Garner, Dalglish, Parkes, Hendry, Shearer, Tugay, Friedel, Souness etc etc.

You almost had a few there that you were actually here to debate and not on the wind up… so close!

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 7

I know Mowbray is getting a lot of credit for the season since the Fulham debacle but it stretches back further than that in my view. The team have been good all season bar that blip and a few struggles when key men got injured. The same will happen again if we lose Lenihan/Nyambe/Travis for any period of time as we just dont have the squad depth to cover for their losses.

I would love to see Mowbray be given some cash in Jan to strengthen the depth around right back and striker in particular. Even if we just swapped Clarkson and Poveda for loans covering in those areas it would give us a chance of staying up and around the playoffs.

For whatever reason its just clicked this season, feels like the league 1 vibe again in the ground and you can see the players work rate and togetherness plays a massive part in it. In particular the three at the back that he has put in place makes it really difficult for the opposition to create chances we just snuffed Brum out completely yesterday it was like swatting an annoying midge out the way.

Edited by roverblue

7 hours ago, Wood26 said:

Genuine question, with out getting a ban for “batting”. Why did I have to scroll so far down for this thread.

Those fans that jumped on here after games (despite not going) demanding Mowbray out, what’s your views on him now?

Curious to hear?

Firstly there was a vast majority of fans who do go to the games who wanted him gone and with justification. The run of two wins in seventeen would have seen the manager sacked at any other club. This season we have seen points dropped and dire performances, poor tactics and as manager that is down to him. The last few weeks have been great and as the as manager he takes credit as he also gets the brickbats when we lose. To countenance that I believe he has stumbled across this system out of desperation following the Fulham debacle. As history has proved we could go into a losing streak under him at any time.

The real conundrum is his contract situation. In my view up until recently there was no chance of him getting a new deal but if this run carries on who knows what will happen.

For the record I do think you are baiting as I read an element of smugness in your posts.

• Like 1

No one can deny the incredible league position (for now) but the squad he’s built over 5 long years is still pretty ordinary considering he is allowed to operate a wage bill of 200% of turnover. The fact we’re 3rd can also be considered a feather in his cap given the squad but if lose Brereton, Leninhan, nyambe in January with the better loan players likely to return at the end of the season. The start of the summer could be a piss poor looking squad indeed. 

Hardly a glowing endorsement after 5 years especially if/when fall away to our usual 10th-15th. Ironically the squad is mostly bolstered from the academy Mowbray wanted shut off in favour of his much ballyhooed Brentford model. Although much like his insistence last season possession football was the only way to play he’s also gone quiet over the merits of not having an academy. 

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead

Re the baiting- it’s really sad that so much of it happens on here and bizarrely, it seems to be a priority for some over enjoyment of a win. On both sides of the debate on here, people are so entrenched in their views that they’re losing sight of what brought us here in the first place.

(A shared love of BRFC). I’m not ashamed to admit it borders on obsession, certainly with how often I find myself on here!

Examples of baiting for the curious- (after a defeat)- ‘where are all the happy clappers now?’. 
After a win- ‘where are all the Mowbray out crew now?’.

Or criticising people for staying away with added insults, it’s lower than the standard of discussion we expect to see on here.

If you keep getting 48 hour bans for baiting, then your bans will just keep getting longer, before, frankly we’ll have had enough of you not learning your lesson and you’ll just get a permanent ban. That is the absolute last resort and myself and the rest of the mods hate doing that, but we only do so after giving members plenty of chances to stop.

By the way, we are good at spotting patterns- I.E members logging on when the mods are asleep and running wild for a bit, but don’t worry, we eventually wake up and deal with things retrospectively!
This post doesn’t require any response, only compliance please.

Any issues, as ever, feel free to send myself or any of the other mods a DM and we will be happy to discuss any concerns you may have.

Thanks for reading and enjoy the festive period.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

Re the baiting- it’s really sad that so much of it happens on here and bizarrely, it seems to be a priority for some over enjoyment of a win. On both sides of the debate on here, people are so entrenched in their views that they’re losing sight of what brought us here in the first place.

(A shared love of BRFC). I’m not ashamed to admit it borders on obsession, certainly with how often I find myself on here!

Examples of baiting for the curious- (after a defeat)- ‘where are all the happy clappers now?’. 
After a win- ‘where are all the Mowbray out crew now?’.

Or criticising people for staying away with added insults, it’s lower than the standard of discussion we expect to see on here.

If you keep getting 48 hour bans for baiting, then your bans will just keep getting longer, before, frankly we’ll have had enough of you not learning your lesson and you’ll just get a permanent ban. That is the absolute last resort and myself and the rest of the mods hate doing that, but we only do so after giving members plenty of chances to stop.

By the way, we are good at spotting patterns- I.E members logging on when the mods are asleep and running wild for a bit, but don’t worry, we eventually wake up and deal with things retrospectively!
This post doesn’t require any response, only compliance please.

Any issues, as ever, feel free to send myself or any of the other mods a DM and we will be happy to discuss any concerns you may have.

Thanks for reading and enjoy the festive period.

How do I put someone on ignore who's trying to wind people up?

9 hours ago, Wood26 said:

Look its dead simple. When we were doing badly, atrociously even, people called for his head on a plate. And, let's face it, this wasn't over a short period of time that he was dreadful.

Now we are doing well those same people have no reason to call for his immediate sacking have they?

What's hard to follow there?

I suspect that what you are really saying "why won't they all come on here and admit they got it wrong?" Then you can crow. some more.

But they're not wrong, they criticised what they saw with their own eyes over a long period. For example last season, after a bright start was a disaster.

They'd be wrong to call for his sacking now wouldn't they? But nobody is!!

That's why they are quiet!  When I say they I include me. I'm happy to enthuse about the success we are having. After all I've waited long enough!!

• Like 9