BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

51 minutes ago, broadsword said:

Tony Parkes on a power trip? Struggling to see that one

I remember TP, himself, telling a story about Le Brat.

Coming off training one day, Tony was going to catch one of the balls, when a player knocked it away from him towards Le Brat, who headed it further away from Tony.

Tony made some dry remark about it being the first time Le Brat had headed a ball all season, whereupon Le Brat felt shown up and became aggressive, squaring up to Tony, (muttering "Hold me back!").

OK, the bit in brackets I made up, but Tony did say other players pulled Le Brat back.

As you can see, I am not at all one sided. FOLS...

Edited by Leonard Venkhater
  • Like 5

16 hours ago, broadsword said:

Anyway the point is, in Roy's first season, if we'd had a second half of the season like the first half, we may well have won the title. And a lot of that in the first half was due to superior fitness. Ferguson admitted we'd given mean united a "doing " in one game. 

I think when things unravelled , Roy panicked and tried to spend his way out of trouble. I think we had a shocking injury list at one stage. 

Keith had a shocker in our relegation season, but played much better under souey. Brian was a decent man, but unfortunately bought players like harkness . 

Sounds was the right man at the right time. He bought much better. I seem to remember that friedel we got on a free. 

18 hours ago, 47er said:

C'mn---which is it?

17 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

All his signings were shit apart from Stephane Henchoz. That takes some doing. I reckon if the criterion of a Rovers manager was “who wasted the most money “ Hodgson would win hands down. Even Kiddo got a couple right.

The way we played under him was amazing but we did have a lot of injuries and a lot of players with huge egos that didn't blend well with Roy's way of doing things. He was 10 years ahead of everyone else at the time he came here.

It was also a time when the price of a player doubled as soon as they found out we were interested. Henchoz was absolute gold though.

When I say he was the best I mean that from the perspective of the way we played on the pitch. I think in the first season we didn't drop out of the top six all year.

We didn’t leave the top 6, but the wheels came off big time back end of the season, we thought we had a sniff at the title going in to the new year and then lost 9 times February onwards.

That bad form carried on into 98/99 and the rest is history.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, DE. said:

I read Le Saux's book recently, from the chapter on his departure:

Obviously the above is all from Le Saux's perspective, but gives an insight as to why he ended up with a chip on his shoulder in regards to the club.

Thanks for this - a lot of detail there that I'd completely forgotten. I think taking everything together you'd probably say i) the club was in a state post-Kenny and the title win where plenty of players wanted out for football reasons, Le Saux included, and ii) he still had a fairly legitimate gripe with the club over a serious injury which could have been handled more professionally. Probably still an overreaction from him in my view, but an injury like that must've been very difficult to deal with. You'd like to think it would be chalk and cheese with how we've handled Dack's injuries. 

Interesting that Robert Coar rubbed the players up the wrong way. I was at an event a couple of years ago where David May was the surprise guest, who when asked about his contract situation when leaving Rovers said something along the lines of "Who told you that? Robert Coar? The F*****g W****r" to the whole room. 

I remember Sutton saying recently that the players at Blackburn were lining up to punch Le Saux, but Batty go there first, he had a massive chip on his shoulder apparently.

He was a quality player for us though, I remember (I think I remember) him making his debut the same day as Kevin Gallagher at home against Liverpool? didn't we hammer Liverpool that day 4-1 or 4-0?

Memory not what it used to be 😁 

26 minutes ago, broadsword said:

And I still like Roy. I mean, I can't understand why he would put Harry kane on corners, and getting Darren peacock was baffling. But no one is perfect I guess. And if take him all day long over Mowbray. 

https://www.planetfootball.com/in-depth/fun-cocky-real-character-roy-hodgson-nothing-like-think/

A lot of his signings were baffling. 

41 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

A lot of his signings were baffling. 

Peacock was often in Utopia, usually staggering out at 3am.

I remember on one occasion he was absolutely smashed, then he was playing the day after! 

Terrible discipline.

33 minutes ago, booth said:

Peacock was often in Utopia, usually staggering out at 3am.

I remember on one occasion he was absolutely smashed, then he was playing the day after! 

Terrible discipline.

Explains a lot, mind you I don't think he would've played any better had he been sober. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, broadsword said:

Explains a lot, mind you I don't think he would've played any better had he been sober. 

we signed Peacock on a free and he was still a worst signing than poor Kevin Davies! 

I thought Billy Mckinly was immense for us under Roy as an anchor man for about 6 months (before getting badly injured i 🤔 ) allwoing Sherwood and Bohinen to play higher up 

Peacock and Daily 🤮🤮🤮🤮

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 2

• Backroom

Roy's forte has generally been smaller, underdog teams throughout his career. He did well at Inter but they were very much in a rebuilding phase at the time with few real stars or big egos. None of Roy's jobs with bigger teams (us at the time, Liverpool, England) ended well. He was a very good manager for a certain type of country/club. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, broadsword said:

Out of all the managers we've had in the past, if I could swap one for Mowbray, I'd take souness all day long. Or kendall

Souness was great for a while until he was absolutely awful. I opened a bottle of champagne when Newcastle came in for him.We were going down without a whimper at that point.

Which leads me to---of all the mangers we've ever had I'd choose Mark Hughes.

Didn't have much to spend but boy did he know what to do with it. Loved his time with us.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, 47er said:

Didn't have much to spend but boy did he know what to do with it. Loved his time with us.

I remember coming home one afternoon and checking the Ceefax football page. 'Blackburn sign Bellamy for £5m' was the main headline. Wow, the excitement upon seeing that! Hughes could definitely pull out some crackers. I remember when he signed Mokoena and Nelsen and thinking "who are they". Then I saw them play. It was the same with Zurab and Samba. Solid finds.

He apparently wanted to bring Zabaleta, Kompany and Lassana Diarra to Rovers in 2008 but the board wouldn't give him the funds for it. Another "what might have been" moment for us possibly. (Zidane was at our training ground 😢).

Souey's first three seasons were excellent, he also got us Brad and Tugay, but I agree that Hughes was able to use the budget better. I would have Hughes back in an instant if given the choice.

• Like 2