BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Almost kept us up, almost won the league, almost got us above top 8, almost gave anyone in the top 6 a game over the last few seasons.......

Hopefully he won't be the almost man this time......🤞

Did get us promoted from league 1.

• Backroom
6 hours ago, roverandout said:

If we go up then he still needs relieving of his duties.  Otherwise he will take us straight back down 

Give over, if he takes us up with this squad then he absolutely deserves a crack at the big time.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Gav said:

I think I'll side with the likes of Guardiola and Klopp, both of whom have used such techniques with limited success I'll concede....

if Mowbray is following Klopp’s philosophy then why haven’t we got a fucking throw in coach. Yesterday’s performance for the throwins was an absolute disgrace.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spartakfenni said:

if Mowbray is following Klopp’s philosophy then why haven’t we got a fucking throw in coach. Yesterday’s performance for the throwins was an absolute disgrace.

It is not just the first team that are poor at throw ins. The U23s and 18s suffer from the same problem. To me it seems to stem from the fact that players seem obsessed with stealing a couple of yards up the line, instead of getting the ball back in play before the opposition is set up.

Lets just see how it goes. No need for talk about contracts yet unless that is for players who will have substantial value for the club to protect.

I'm amazed at how well we are doing and long may it continue. Particularly satisfying for me are the controlled 1-0 wins against tough sides in tough conditions like we have had the last 2 weeks. Of course a large part of that has to be credited to the manager. Irrespective of results he isn't leaving any time soon so lets just enjoy it whilst it lasts.

I am sure that at least 2 of the play-off teams this season are going to come from a group including ourselves and other names such as Millwall, Middlesbrough, QPR, Coventry, Luton and Forest. We simply have to be confident of finishing above those sort of sides given the way we have performed and points we have at this stage.

I'm not one for considering the play-offs as the Holy Grail and the answer to all our problems. If we were to get in there, which is a long way away, that doesn't mean that we are promoted and doesn't address the issues that we have in the summer with the squad. 

We will soon be arriving at Mowbray's annual point of collapse so the big test won't be Bournemouth next week but will be Barnsley, Huddersfield at home and Hull away. What an opportunity there.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rigger said:

It is not just the first team that are poor at throw ins. The U23s and 18s suffer from the same problem. To me it seems to stem from the fact that players seem obsessed with stealing a couple of yards up the line, instead of getting the ball back in play before the opposition is set up.

If you actually look at the stats across football it's shocking how many turn possession over from their own throws....its about 70+%...starts with the kids and the basics.

11 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

If you actually look at the stats across football it's shocking how many turn possession over from their own throws....its about 70+%...starts with the kids and the basics.

If you think about it the team defending the throw in has a man over. If they mark up properly they should make it almost impossible for the team taking the throw to retain possession.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

What point? Because we use personality related tests we should also have a throw in coach?  Bit of a leap 

The point is if we are adopting “modern” techniques then why haven’t we adopted Klopps throwin coach? Liverpool probably have the best conversation rate. Looks to me like inadequate research by Mowbray. He’s gone with the emperors new clothes.

5 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If you think about it the team defending the throw in has a man over. If they mark up properly they should make it almost impossible for the team taking the throw to retain possession.

It's simple really, you take the throw quickly before the opposition can mark-up. Most teams have a player whose job is to mark the thrower, so that negates the extra man.

11 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's not always possible to take it quickly enough though? So it's not really that simple 

I suggest you watch The Big Match revisted on Saturday mornings, You will see every team takes throw-ins very quickly and usually they keep possession. It really is that simple.

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's funny cos I've watched QPR v Stoke and now I'm watching Villa v Leicester and I don't see any particular throw in nous 

Exactly, that is what this discussion started as. The fact that teams at the moment don't know how to keep possession from throw-ins. Years ago it was not a problem.

Weird, throw-ins seem to be the topic on the PNE forums too. How they just take throw-ins purely to get throwi-ns further up the pitch, so their top scorer can launch them into the box - of which has returned just a single goal in the campaign so far. 

12 minutes ago, rigger said:

Exactly, that is what this discussion started as. The fact that teams at the moment don't know how to keep possession from throw-ins. Years ago it was not a problem.

But you said one one post ago every team takes them quickly and retains possession? 

Players are just so fit and alert and it's not always possibly to get it thrown in that quickly. It's usually a short one and back to the thrower. The only truly effective tactic I've ever seen with throw ins was Rory Delap at Stoke! 

24 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

But you said one one post ago every team takes them quickly and retains possession? 

Players are just so fit and alert and it's not always possibly to get it thrown in that quickly. It's usually a short one and back to the thrower. The only truly effective tactic I've ever seen with throw ins was Rory Delap at Stoke! 

The post that you are quoting, was were I said teams on the programme "Big Match Revisited" take their throw-ins quickly and usually retain possession. That is games from the 70's and 80's, not nowadays teams.

Did I just read football players are So fit? They run 90 mins 2 times a week, that's not fit at all, as they struggle with it. Many other sports do much more than that, in fact I know recreational IE public people who are fitter than that.  Football fitness is all about recovery, which just means they are not fit enough for purpose. Players like CR7 put them all to shame as he follows a strict fitness and nutrition routine and he's still running around at almost 40.

And yes we should be looking to take every advantage we can and working on throw ins and other set pieces would create an advantage for us.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rigger said:

The post that you are quoting, was were I said teams on the programme "Big Match Revisited" take their throw-ins quickly and usually retain possession. That is games from the 70's and 80's, not nowadays teams.

Back then throw ins were normally taken from where the ball went out. It takes time to shuffle 10 yards up the touch line like they do today.

2 hours ago, Ulrich said:

Did I just read football players are So fit? They run 90 mins 2 times a week, that's not fit at all, as they struggle with it. Many other sports do much more than that, in fact I know recreational IE public people who are fitter than that.  Football fitness is all about recovery, which just means they are not fit enough for purpose. Players like CR7 put them all to shame as he follows a strict fitness and nutrition routine and he's still running around at almost 40.

And yes we should be looking to take every advantage we can and working on throw ins and other set pieces would create an advantage for us.

Bit of an over simplification. I often run 30k a week, which is about twice what a professional footballer what get through over 2 games. I've also had the privilege of playing against a Southport FC 1st XI in a charity game, and although they were (and are) semi-pro I couldn't get anywhere near them. So much so their keeper played up front for giggles and he burnt past our 2 centre halves with ease.

Fitness isn't all about how far and for how long you can run, it's about what types of running you do. 90 minutes of shuttle running and short bursts would mean you have to be incredibly fit.

• Like 5