BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

There are plenty on here who don't even consider David Dunn (or any post-95 player other than Tugay) to be in the legend category, so putting Mowbray in that group is clearly a bit silly.Β 

Β 

That said, for his faults, he's never been remotely as bad as some have made out. There are obviously better managers out there, but I look around at the other clubs in the league and think how many of their managers are obvious upgrades on Mowbray? Perhaps a handful at most in my view, arguably fewer. Ironically there would've been a few more a month or so ago, but this seems like the season where the managers with the most impressive Championship CVs all want to blot their copy book at the same time.Β 

Β 

I think this mainly goes to show that there is no guarantee for success at this level, and so much of it is about getting the right man at the right time. I thought at the back end of last season that Mowbray's time was up, but I'm pleasantly surprised to see how he's building up some more credit in the bank this time out. Still very premature to discuss him staying on after this year, but if he were to leave with us finishing just outside the play offs, I think eventually both Mowbray & his time here would be remembered pretty fondly.Β 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, DE. said:

I'd mostly remember Mowbray's tenure as one of frustration and missed opportunities after the League 1 promotion. Very similar to how I remember Bowyer's time at the club.

I kinda feel that way about our relegation season, we had chances under TM to stay up.Β  Promotion was nice but I expected to win the league, but the big moments I will remember are 2 in 17 and 0-7.

• Like 5

• Backroom
24 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

I kinda feel that way about our relegation season, we had chances under TM to stay up.Β  Promotion was nice but I expected to win the league, but the big moments I will remember are 2 in 17 and 0-7.

In the relegation season a lot of damage had been done by the time Mowbray arrived, and honestly we were a bit unlucky to be relegated with 51 points. I've never held that against Mowbray. Automatic promotion from League 1 was fine by me. Would have been nice to win it and settling for 2nd showed something about Mowbray's personality imo, but there have been some big clubs stuck down there for a while now so I'm just happy we escaped at the first time of asking.

Since then it's just been... average. I've never had a sense we're building to something identifiable on the pitch or within the squad. This season has been a pleasant surprise but doesn't feel like it was part of some kind of masterplan. More like a combination of Mowbray being restricted by the squad available to him and the league arguably being the weakest in terms of quality than it has been for a number of years. I know it gets said every season but when you look at the teams between 4th and 18th this season it really does feel like everybody is at the same low bar of quality. It feels like any team that gets lucky on the injury front and gets some momentum behind them has a shot of top six this year.

• Like 7

Mowbray's place in Rovers' history is assured with his promotion campaign of 2017/18.

Bob Crompton, Johnny Carey, Gordon Lee, Howard Kendall, Kenny Dalglish, Graeme Souness and Tony Mowbray the only Rovers managers to oversee promotion campaigns.

Lee, Kendall and Mowbray from Tier 3 to Tier 2

Crompton, Carey, Dalglish and Souness from Tier 2 to Tier 1

Being born in 1987 and a season ticket holder since 1992/93 I obviously don't remember the era of Bobby Saxton and Don Mackay. Data shows similar records with all three Saxton, Mackay and Mowbray, all around the 40% win rate, with around 200+ games managed over several seasons, primarily in the second tier.

Saxton 36% Win Rate

Mackay 39% Win Rate

Mowbray 41% Win Rate (36% at Tier 2 level)

For those who are old enough to remember the 1980s, how fair a comparison is

Mowbray v Saxton

and

Mowbray v Mackay

From numerous sources (friends, relatives etc) who remember the era, knew Rovers we a club without the preverbial pot to tinkle in, so Mowbray has maybe had more favourable circumstances? Although this season with the numerous outgoings and reliance on youth/loans maybe turned the tide?

Β 

Edited by rog of the rovers
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, rog of the rovers said:

Mowbray's place in Rovers' history is assured with his promotion campaign of 2017/18.a

Saxton 36% Win Rate

Mackay 39% Win Rate

Mowbray v Saxton

and

Mowbray v Mackay

Β 

Β 

Both Saxton and Mackay had seasons where they over achieved. Cannot say that about Mowbray to date. The next six months may determine that.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rog of the rovers said:

Mowbray's place in Rovers' history is assured with his promotion campaign of 2017/18.

Bob Crompton, Johnny Carey, Gordon Lee, Howard Kendall, Kenny Dalglish, Graeme Souness and Tony Mowbray the only Rovers managers to oversee promotion campaigns.

Being born in 1987 and a season ticket holder since 1992/93 I obviously don't remember the era of Bobby Saxton and Don Mackay. Data shows similar records with all three Saxton, Mackay and Mowbray, all around the 40% win rate, with around 200+ games managed over several seasons, primarily in the second tier.

Saxton 36% Win Rate

Mackay 39% Win Rate

Mowbray v Saxton

and

Mowbray v Mackay

From numerous sources (friends, relatives etc) who remember the era, knew Rovers we a club without the preverbial pot to tinkle in, so Mowbray has maybe had more favourable circumstances? Although this season with the numerous outgoings and reliance on youth/loans maybe turned the tide?

Β 

I would say sacko is closer to Mowbray in style than the Don. Mainly in the sense of staying too loyal to certain players for too long. But Bobby could only dream of the resources that Mowbray has had at his disposal.Β 

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 6

this is just absurd now.Β 

Β 

he is not and never will be a "rovers legend"Β 

To be a true legend its not just about results and league placings! You have to have a huge affinity with and unanimous respect of the entire fanbase and club and a huge passion to see us all succeed together.Β 

Β 

Mowbray barely cares about the club and fans(aside from those few that constantly blow smoke up his Behind) it's just another job to him.Β 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, DE. said:

In the relegation season a lot of damage had been done by the time Mowbray arrived, and honestly we were a bit unlucky to be relegated with 51 points. I've never held that against Mowbray. Automatic promotion from League 1 was fine by me. Would have been nice to win it and settling for 2nd showed something about Mowbray's personality imo, but there have been some big clubs stuck down there for a while now so I'm just happy we escaped at the first time of asking.

Since then it's just been... average. I've never had a sense we're building to something identifiable on the pitch or within the squad. This season has been a pleasant surprise but doesn't feel like it was part of some kind of masterplan. More like a combination of Mowbray being restricted by the squad available to him and the league arguably being the weakest in terms of quality than it has been for a number of years. I know it gets said every season but when you look at the teams between 4th and 18th this season it really does feel like everybody is at the same low bar of quality. It feels like any team that gets lucky on the injury front and gets some momentum behind them has a shot of top six this year.

It does indeed get said every season that this is/was the best chance because the quality of the league is so low, and yet 22 other managers will also fail to get promoted, which presumably also makes their failures more damning.

Also interesting to see the latest BRFCS reverse ferret happening elsewhere, where Mowbray, far from being in complete control of the club with no oversight whatsoever as we had been led to believe, turns out to have no power whatsoever as he was forced to get rid of his favourites and had no other choice but to play younger players!
Β 

Under Saxton and over 5 seasons (81/2-85/6) in the Second Division we finished 10th, 11th, 6th, 5th, and 19th.

In 4 of those seasons no transfer fees were paid or received. A profit of 74kΒ  was made in season 84/5

Under Mackay and over 5 seasons (86/7-90/91) in the Second Division we finished 12th, 5th, 5th, 5th and 19th.

During this period we won the FMC and fecked up at Palace.

Don was more active in the transfer market and and the Walker money arrived in Don's final season but with the benefit of hindsight was not spent very well.

Over the 5 seasons net transfer fees were -23k, -7k, +135K, +945k* and -2.24** million. (* Hendry, **Agnew, Livingstone, Dobson, Richardson, Mimms).

Frankly Bobby S, who is a hero of mine, did a great job with empty pockets and Don M. was superb for most of his stay.

Note how both were potted after a poor(ish) season.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 5

Well if β€˜legendary’ status is based on how bulletproof a manager is in the stands, then he has to be up there.

I can only think of Kenny (and maybe Hughes) in my time at Ewood that has had as much consistent, steadfast backing. Indeed, you literally cannot say a world against him with much of our fanbase… even after 7-0 home defeats.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

• Backroom
32 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

It does indeed get said every season that this is/was the best chance because the quality of the league is so low, and yet 22 other managers will also fail to get promoted, which presumably also makes their failures more damning.

To be fair just because it's said every season doesn't mean it wasn't true each of those years. I'd say there's a really good argument for it this year though.Β 

As for being a damning indictment of the other managers, as always it's dependent on a variety of factors including budget, injuries, etc. For some probably yes, for others probably not. Although I'd judge that more in terms of a top six finish than promotion. Top two spots are being increasingly monopolised by the parachute clubs and the playoffs is a lottery.Β 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rog of the rovers said:

Saxton 36% Win Rate

Mackay 39% Win Rate

Mowbray v Saxton

and

Mowbray v Mackay

Β 

The club behind the scenes wasn't quite the post apocalyptic wasteland that it is today.

I think a lot of the Tony Mowbray bashing is people who are taking out other frustrations they have with the club on the manager.Β 

17 hours ago, rog of the rovers said:

Saxton 36% Win Rate

Mackay 39% Win Rate

Mowbray v Saxton

and

Mowbray v Mackay

Β 

See, this is the nub of the issue.Β 

Mowbray isn't in the same stratosphere as certain managers we have had pre Jack like Furphy, Lee and Kendall.

The most accurate comparisons are probably Saxton v Mowbray and Mackay v Mowbray.

Mackay's funding was pretty limited apart from the period after Jack took over. And whilst I wasn't a particular fan of Saxton there's no doubt he had to oversee a period when we genuinely didn't have a pot to piss in, I recall a story doing the rounds in the mid 80's that consideration was being given to flogging the table in the Boardroom to raise a few quid.

Without looking at their respective performances in detail I'd say off the top of my head Mowbray has delivered worse results than the penniless Saxton on a champagne budget and way way worse performance than Mackay who with relatively less backing delivered several back to back play off finishes.

At the end of the day Mowbray is an extremely poor manager who has carved a lucrative career in coaching out of the back of a decent playing career. He's had barely any success anywhere he's been apart from West Brom and a heavily funded promotion campaignΒ  here and it has been more common for his managerial stints to end in disaster and the sack within a relatively short space of time.

Has also been exceptionally fortunate here to survive three very disappointing seasons,Β  a near record 17 game losing run and a Club record home defeat despite substantial backing.

In summary a poor man's Saxton and a very poor man's Mackay. All that said we obviously all hope that a miracle occurs and we somehow scrape up via the playoffs this season with a hungry, talented but threadbare young squad.

• Like 2