BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

6 hours ago, Wood26 said:

Of course he is.

Look at us before him. He almost kept us up, convinced Venkys to keep the likes of Graham and Mulgrew, got us promoted from league 1.

That promotion in its self is legend status, look at the clubs that can’t get out of that league. If we didn’t do it that first season, I don’t think we would be out of it now.

I agree with Sparks, what has he done so for? Winning promotion from a 3rd rate league with the largest budget in that league, AND only finishing 2nd! Gordon, and Howard did it when we didn’t have a pot to piss in. Now that’s what I call legends.

• Like 2

Mowbray and the players deserved huge credit for our league postion and results this season. We are performing in most games. Fulham game annoyed me and a lack of apology from anyone at the club was wrong. But since then they are improving and getting better. 

I think Mowbray need a smaller squad then his mind doesn't over think situations and can't make 4 or 5 changes each game. 

Plus the team spirit I think we have can take us to playoffs. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Wood26 said:

Of course he is.

Look at us before him. He almost kept us up, convinced Venkys to keep the likes of Graham and Mulgrew, got us promoted from league 1.

That promotion in its self is legend status, look at the clubs that can’t get out of that league. If we didn’t do it that first season, I don’t think we would be out of it now.

We had impetus from that League 1 promotion but he dissipated it. Those next 2 seasons were diabolical.

And if you don't agree---look at the attendances, fans have voted with their feet.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

The wisdom of the club in keeping Mowbray as manager is becoming more evident by the day with the players responding to the environment that he has created within the club. Opting for the faded has beens like Warnock, McCarthy, Hughton, Hughes would have been a big mistake.

Mowbray should stay for the rest of the season and we should review his performance and whether he should get a new contract after the season has ended. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

The wisdom of the club in keeping Mowbray as manager is becoming more evident by the day with the players responding to the environment that he has created within the club. Opting for the faded has beens like Warnock, McCarthy, Hughton, Hughes would have been a big mistake.

3 things here, it looks to me like hes been told to pull his finger out, not before time. A little bit of pressure does no harm now and again.

Hes had his favourites and stalwarts ejected in order to slash the budget. His methods have been notorious in trying to keep his seniors and pals happy. That has been taken out of his hands and he's able to be more of a managerial figure to the young players.

I agree he uses his experience to create a good enviroment by integrating good characters. He did it in the league one season. A rebuild has been long overdue and a new pecking order is now naturally creating itself. One not dictated by who's on the biggest contract or closest to the manager etc.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Wood26 said:

The way I see Mowbray, he’s a club legend for getting us out of league one and making the team and fans on the same page after a few years of distain.

Brilliant 😂

I actually agree with some of your posts Wood26, but that comment is stretching it by miles, you hooked a few though, congratulations. 

What I would say is he'll be remembered fondly in our house for the promotion season from league 1. Just like Kendal and Gordon Lee, who also achieved promotion from league 1. We haven't had many promotions in my time supporting the club, I'll never take them for granted, great night:

images (1).jpg

download (6).jpg

download (5).jpg

Edited by Gav

2 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Unless the miracle of promotion happens at the end of the season, Mowbray will likely - and should - be gone.

He'd then be viewed as being in the same group as those which you mention. A faded has-been.

• Like 2

Warnock 7 promotions 2 more recently to the top fight than Mowbray. Hughton 2 promotions to the prem more recently than Mowbray. McCarthy 2 promotions to the prem 1 more recently than Mowbray. Hughes 10-15 years managing in the top flight and international pedigree.

If they’re faded has beens I’ve no idea what Mowbray is and indeed was after nearly a decade of managerial failures before his pleasantly surprising albeit average stint at rovers. 

2 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

TM is doing an excellent job under challenging circumstances.  The team spirit is amazing.  Well done Tony and long may it continue 💪 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bad Boy said:

TM is doing an excellent job under challenging circumstances.  The team spirit is amazing.  Well done Tony and long may it continue 💪 

Absolutely, long may it continue,

Let's be honest though, Mowbray is lucky to still be employed after wasting at least 2 seasons, and there's always the likelihood that he'll revert to type at some point.

However, it would be churlish not to praise him at the current time. 4th place is way beyond what most of us thought he was capable of.

The best thing to do is enjoy the ride while it lasts.

• Like 7

56 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Warnock 7 promotions 2 more recently to the top fight than Mowbray. Hughton 2 promotions to the prem more recently than Mowbray. McCarthy 2 promotions to the prem 1 more recently than Mowbray. Hughes 10-15 years managing in the top flight and international pedigree.

If they’re faded has beens I’ve no idea what Mowbray is and indeed was after nearly a decade of managerial failures before his pleasantly surprising albeit average stint at rovers. 

It’s in the past that’s why they are has beens. Just like Mowbray. We need a young dynamic manager. Move Mowbray upstairs and let Johnson have the gig.

8 hours ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Absolutely, long may it continue,

Let's be honest though, Mowbray is lucky to still be employed after wasting at least 2 seasons, and there's always the likelihood that he'll revert to type at some point.

However, it would be churlish not to praise him at the current time. 4th place is way beyond what most of us thought he was capable of.

The best thing to do is enjoy the ride while it lasts.

Wasting 2 seasons is a myth that some churn out. Normally the very people who have backed themselves into such an anti Mowbray corner they can no longer give him credit for anything, be it good transfer business or and excellent start to this season. This is how I see it and I know and have spoke to many others who agree. (not on this board) 

Season 1 (half season). A team that coyle had all but relegated. Chalked up points with an awful squad and took it to the last day only to go down on GD. Gallant effort but not his fault. 

Season 2 - automatic promotion. Job done. 

Season 3 - very good first season back. Never in danger of going down or not good enough to challenge to go up. Mid table. Happy enough 

Season 4. Overhaul of the squad begins, mulgrew etc out, again. Mid table but slightly better points total (progress none the less) 

Season 5. Big squad assembled. Expectations rose to play offs bare minimum. Decent start but hit a horrific death spiral. The infamous 2 in 17 was simply not good enough and he should have walked / left at the end of the season. 

Season 6. Major cuts to the playing squad due to ffp and the covid pandemic hitting income. All fans still pee'd off his still here. Maybe he had enough credit in the bank with the owners to give it one last go. 

Great start to the season. Flirting with the playoffs and looking stronger game by game (TBC) 

Edited by Roverinbelfast
Typos
  • Like 7