BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

1 hour ago, Ulrich said:

What other Premier league manager has a league one wage stipulation in their contract? Why on earth would that have been put in there? Forward planning.

I've not seen other Premier League managers contracts - but I wouldn't be surprised to see similar things in them.

It's pretty common for players to have clauses built into their contracts that reduce their wages if the club is relegated - and presumably their bonus offerings change as well. I can't see why it wouldn't be in place for a manager.

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Kean's bonuses were specifically for hitting a target.

He was to receive a £200k bonus for finishing in the top 12 in the Premier League.

If Rovers were relegated - his salary was significantly reduced, but then there a bonus of £500k for getting promoted to the Premier League.

If Rovers were relegated to League One, his salary dropped even further and there was no bonus for promotion back to the Championship.

His contract certainly didn't reward failure - it mitigated the risk of high salary and bonuses being paid if were relegated.

There was a bonus written into it for not far off his premier league salary taking his earnings to 3 mill per year. Nixon even did a piece saying Keans potential  earnings were 10 million over his Rovers contract.

No wonder they wouldn't sack the pig.

Edited by tomphil

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

I've not seen other Premier League managers contracts - but I wouldn't be surprised to see similar things in them.

It's pretty common for players to have clauses built into their contracts that reduce their wages if the club is relegated - and presumably their bonus offerings change as well. I can't see why it wouldn't be in place for a manager.

To the championship yes, but league one? Does that not imply they would be willing to tolerate 2 relegations under Kean.

3 hours ago, JacknOry said:

I really dont get this line - that is was a Balaji signing. Which, btw, you are claiming that to be fact when their is zero evidence. Another example of somebody saying some random rumour and it then becoming fact. Did Balaji previously know about Brereton and really wanted him?

That summer, we were linked to Assombalonga, Patrick Bamford, and that QPR attacking mid, for starters. TM had the money buring a hole in his pocket. Wages as he claimed stopped most of those, Deadline day he spunks 7 mil on BB on a loan to perm. I dont think this was Balaji wanting a particular player, more like we had a bit of a warchest in the FFP cycle and TM was desperate to spend it. 

Of course, he decided to spend it on one player instead of addressing other key areas by spreading it around a bit.

I should have been more clear, Balaji wanted a young marquee signing that would increase in value. Brereton was identified by the club that meet that criteria. He would not have trousered the cash for a three average players. Don’t forget that he was an English youth international when we signed him and he was playing for a top championship club.

2 minutes ago, Spartakfenni said:

I should have been more clear, Balaji wanted a young marquee signing that would increase in value. Brereton was identified by the club that meet that criteria. He would not have trousered the cash for a three average players. Don’t forget that he was an English youth international when we signed him and he was playing for a top championship club.

Again, where is the evidence of this?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spartakfenni said:

Why did we bid for all the player i mentioned previously? Bamford, not English or young, the QPR lad, not young, Assomballonga, not youing. Was well publisied. We ended up with this guy. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Again, where is the evidence of this?

2 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Why did we bid for all the player i mentioned previously? Bamford, not English or young, the QPR lad, not young, Assomballonga, not youing. Was well publisied. We ended up with this guy. 

Because they didn’t fit Balaji’s profile. He wouldn’t pay up.

3 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

Why does the article state cruciate ligament injury, when it is an ankle ligament and fracture issue? Some really thorough journalism there.

Evidence of good journalism

13 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

I give up, there is nothing to suggest this was a balaji signing. Yet those other signings were linked to us. You 12 or what?

No I’m not, maybe you are dude

If Balaji, or any of them really cared, they would make a push in so many directions at the club. You're telling me that their remit is to sign youngh Enlgish players? So Ayala, Mulgrew, Bennett, Graham, Holtby, Johnson, that fits in right?

10 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

If Balaji, or any of them really cared, they would make a push in so many directions at the club. You're telling me that their remit is to sign youngh Enlgish players? So Ayala, Mulgrew, Bennett, Graham, Holtby, Johnson, that fits in right?

Apart from Ayala, Holtby and Johnson these where signed before Mowbray stabilised the club. Mulgrew and Bennett stayed too long and you can’t blame Balaji for that, it was Mowbray. The others where brought in at no transfer cost (excluding agent fees) to add experience. As for making a ‘push’ they are hamstrung by FFP. Do we want a Reading, Nottingham Forest situation?

56 minutes ago, Spartakfenni said:

Apart from Ayala, Holtby and Johnson these where signed before Mowbray stabilised the club. Mulgrew and Bennett stayed too long and you can’t blame Balaji for that, it was Mowbray. The others where brought in at no transfer cost (excluding agent fees) to add experience. As for making a ‘push’ they are hamstrung by FFP. Do we want a Reading, Nottingham Forest situation?

Apart from? That’s 3 out of 6 of those names that don’t fit Balaji’s alleged master plan. Balaji hasn’t got a scooby what goes on.

I accept Mowbray may have had to spin him that line to get the go ahead on BB.

Edited by Hasta

Did big Barry pick Gallagher as well ?  How did they get the cash for that one was it yet another investment signing ?

Or in fact were they both actually just done by Mowbray and the agent / recruitment gang because they were getable and fit the young English remit ?

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Kean's bonuses were specifically for hitting a target.

He was to receive a £200k bonus for finishing in the top 12 in the Premier League.

If Rovers were relegated - his salary was significantly reduced, but then there a bonus of £500k for getting promoted to the Premier League.

If Rovers were relegated to League One, his salary dropped even further and there was no bonus for promotion back to the Championship.

His contract certainly didn't reward failure - it mitigated the risk of high salary and bonuses being paid if were relegated.

Hmmm, his salary was to be reduced but it was to back up to a million plus a £500k bonus for promotion a couple of seasons later wasn't it?

First season £1m salary.

Second season £1m.

Championship £600k.

So get relegated and live off £600k but get promoted a couple of seasons later and get effectively an £900k bonus!

£900k!

To me that rewards failure because it was him who relegated the club in the first place. A particularly dodgy individual would look at that contract and think, on a personal level I can't fail. Some incentive.

We are talking about a guy who had never managed before who was made a millionaire for relegating the club and having a contract loaded with bonuses.

Edited by booth
Got covid, can't count.
  • Like 1

• Moderation Lead
2 hours ago, Spartakfenni said:

Evidence of good journalism

No I’m not, maybe you are dude

Are you really asking for evidence, dismissing it when given, then offering none of your own?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Well, we would be "an average Championship Club" if we didn't have multi billionaire owners and Mowbray would have had to contend with "limited resources" had said owners not put in c £20m p.a. in during his tenure.

Our total income including the owners input is well above average but we are performing like a relative minnow due to having a substandard manager and coaching staff.

Etc etc etc

1 hour ago, booth said:

Hmmm, his salary was to be reduced but it was to back up to a million plus a £500k bonus for promotion a couple of seasons later wasn't it?

First season £1m salary.

Second season £1m.

Championship £600k.

So get relegated and live off £600k but get promoted a couple of seasons later and get effectively an £900k bonus!

£900k!

To me that rewards failure because it was him who relegated the club in the first place. A particularly dodgy individual would look at that contract and think, on a personal level I can't fail. Some incentive.

We are talking about a guy who had never managed before who was made a millionaire for relegating the club and having a contract loaded with bonuses.

His agent was drawing up the contract and allegedly practically running the club at the time

3 hours ago, JacknOry said:

You're telling me that their remit is to sign youngh Enlgish players? So Ayala, Mulgrew, Bennett, Graham, Holtby, Johnson, that fits in right?

If you look at the players bought for a fee, which is where you’re more likely to see any sell on value, Spartakfenni was saying the remit was young English type players to develop and sell on:

Dack, Cairney, Duffy, Gallagher, Brereton, Dolan (Free), Rothwell, Armstrong off the top of my head.

Those players seem to fit the bill perfectly and align with what Fenni was saying. 

Edited by Gav