BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Back then throw ins were normally taken from where the ball went out. It takes time to shuffle 10 yards up the touch line like they do today.

Which is exactly the point I first made. One of the main reasons for losing possession at throw ins, is allowing the opposition time to mark up, by stealing yards down the line instead of getting the ball back into play as quickly as you can. 

2 hours ago, Ulrich said:

Did I just read football players are So fit? They run 90 mins 2 times a week, that's not fit at all, as they struggle with it. Many other sports do much more than that, in fact I know recreational IE public people who are fitter than that.  Football fitness is all about recovery, which just means they are not fit enough for purpose. Players like CR7 put them all to shame as he follows a strict fitness and nutrition routine and he's still running around at almost 40.

And yes we should be looking to take every advantage we can and working on throw ins and other set pieces would create an advantage for us.

Total over simplification. They could cover 10km, or more, then you have the combatitive side of it, scrapping to try and win the ball, collisions, aerial duels, needing to be fit enough so as your concentration is there to make the right decisions. The Championship isn't Sunday league. I would be interested to see the people you you know who you claim are fitter play in a game up againt Lenihan, Travis or Rothwell , they would get their arses handed to them. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BigUts said:

Bit of an over simplification. I often run 30k a week, which is about twice what a professional footballer what get through over 2 games. I've also had the privilege of playing against a Southport FC 1st XI in a charity game, and although they were (and are) semi-pro I couldn't get anywhere near them. So much so their keeper played up front for giggles and he burnt past our 2 centre halves with ease.

Fitness isn't all about how far and for how long you can run, it's about what types of running you do. 90 minutes of shuttle running and short bursts would mean you have to be incredibly fit.

I agree and what is missing is that they cover more yards a day in training Monday to Thursday. Their fitness program is based on peaking once/twice a week. Most modern day footballers do follow similar routines to CR7. There’s not many Paul Mersons in the game today even at league 2.

3 hours ago, BigUts said:

Bit of an over simplification. I often run 30k a week, which is about twice what a professional footballer what get through over 2 games. I've also had the privilege of playing against a Southport FC 1st XI in a charity game, and although they were (and are) semi-pro I couldn't get anywhere near them. So much so their keeper played up front for giggles and he burnt past our 2 centre halves with ease.

Fitness isn't all about how far and for how long you can run, it's about what types of running you do. 90 minutes of shuttle running and short bursts would mean you have to be incredibly fit.

The specificity of fitness is something I more than understand and comparing steady state exercise such as running to variable state exercise, as you have said is not accurate.  Tennis is a nice comparable sport, it is more intense than football, contains many more high intensity actions and also strength activities such as changes of direction etc.  These guys and girls face a much more arduous schedule than football players and deal with higher loads too, in both matches, frequency of said events and spend considerably less time walking, the most common activity of any football player. Football fitness is a paradox and myth, they spend the season 'recovering' then take 2 months off and consequently fitness declines, then they spend 6-8 weeks getting back to where they were. So they never really get fitter, they just stay at the same level. I’ve played football at a goodish level and also know that people of lesser experience, like yourself in this charity match will always come off second best. This is not down to fitness, nor me belittling your efforts but experience and skill through playing means you will always be a step ahead of less experienced players. I played up front and once played against an ex wales international called Jason Reece. He was very unfit, his warm up included cigarettes, as did his half time activities, but not one of us got anywhere near him as he was always 2 steps ahead mentally.  Other sports and even some football players take their physical preparation extremely seriously, training loads in excess of matches, like tennis etc, football in general does not train in this periodised manner, hence they are always recovering and not truly uber fit as some would think. The statement I made about always being in recovery within sport is very logical and correct, it may not be what people want to hear but it is accurate.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Spartakfenni said:

I agree and what is missing is that they cover more yards a day in training Monday to Thursday. Their fitness program is based on peaking once/twice a week. Most modern day footballers do follow similar routines to CR7. There’s not many Paul Mersons in the game today even at league 2.

That's not true, if they did they'd all still be running round like school kids ala CR7. Most training sessions within football are low intensity overall and if you know and understand periodisation then that is very wrong, in fact it is the polar opposite of how it should be.
Check out his info on here:

https://manofmany.com/lifestyle/fitness/cristiano-ronaldos-football-diet-workout-plan

He trains 3-4 times a day and also does his club training. He eats religiously and basically eats the same foods everyday. How many football players look like he does, he is ripped, trains above match level and treats his body like a temple. If all our players did this, then we'd be top 2 easy and playing teams off the park, but none of them do look like him, do they.

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Total over simplification. They could cover 10km, or more, then you have the combatitive side of it, scrapping to try and win the ball, collisions, aerial duels, needing to be fit enough so as your concentration is there to make the right decisions. The Championship isn't Sunday league. I would be interested to see the people you you know who you claim are fitter play in a game up againt Lenihan, Travis or Rothwell , they would get their arses handed to them. 

I do not need to to name people, but you carry on baiting Bigdog 👍 I guess you didn't like my post from the other day 😂😂😂 CR7 is a true professional, most players are not, fact and if you don't like it, do some reading etc and find out for yourself 📖📖 some personal growth is good for the soul 🙏

Just look at Buckley, he has needed better physicality for years, years WTF with a serious training schedule that should be sorted in months, but it isn't and still isn't. Give it some logical thought before you reply, fitness does not take that long to improve, not does strength......

44 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

The specificity of fitness is something I more than understand and comparing steady state exercise such as running to variable state exercise, as you have said is not accurate.  Tennis is a nice comparable sport, it is more intense than football, contains many more high intensity actions and also strength activities such as changes of direction etc.  These guys and girls face a much more arduous schedule than football players and deal with higher loads too, in both matches, frequency of said events and spend considerably less time walking, the most common activity of any football player. Football fitness is a paradox and myth, they spend the season 'recovering' then take 2 months off and consequently fitness declines, then they spend 6-8 weeks getting back to where they were. So they never really get fitter, they just stay at the same level. I’ve played football at a goodish level and also know that people of lesser experience, like yourself in this charity match will always come off second best. This is not down to fitness, nor me belittling your efforts but experience and skill through playing means you will always be a step ahead of less experienced players. I played up front and once played against an ex wales international called Jason Reece. He was very unfit, his warm up included cigarettes, as did his half time activities, but not one of us got anywhere near him as he was always 2 steps ahead mentally.  Other sports and even some football players take their physical preparation extremely seriously, training loads in excess of matches, like tennis etc, football in general does not train in this periodised manner, hence they are always recovering and not truly uber fit as some would think. The statement I made about always being in recovery within sport is very logical and correct, it may not be what people want to hear but it is accurate.

They may take 6-8 weeks off but they go with a fitness plan and dietary plan. These are then tested when they return from their summer break.

In modern day management won't Mowbray succeed all of the fitness responsibility to a dedicated fitness coach? 

Totally random (yet somehow still interesting) stat alert.

This is the time of year that we usually do well.

You don't want to face us between 1st November and Boxing Day under Tony Mowbray.

Blackburn Rovers record (November to Boxing Day from 2017 - present)

P45 W24 D12 L9 F75 A54 Pts84 GD+21

Automatic Promotion form for us!!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

In modern day management won't Mowbray succeed all of the fitness responsibility to a dedicated fitness coach? 

You don't want to face us between 1st November and Boxing Day under Tony Mowbray.

Then they fall off a cliff over Xmas and New Year. How many Christmas’s have they ruined lately .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spartakfenni said:

They may take 6-8 weeks off but they go with a fitness plan and dietary plan. These are then tested when they return from their summer break.

If they had any sense they'd spend those 6-8 weeks actually training like mad so they start preseason fitter than before. But they don't. I was dead lucky to do a degree at Loughborough so I've seen the data from numerous clubs, crossfit athletes put them to shame and they could all benefit from taking CR7s approach. I'm going to leave it there but at least my comments are based on factual data and comments from people who have worked in the Premier league. Are they fit yes, could they be fitter, definitely and their games would be much better and careers far longer if they did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rog of the rovers said:

Then shite till about March.

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead

Hi Everyone, a lot of baiting and a lot of goading going on lately and it needs to cease. Whether people have been having too many mulled wines, mince pies or advent calendar chocolates too soon, doesn’t matter, just simmer down a bit, please? It’s possible to disagree with each other without being rude. 👍.

• Like 1

On 05/12/2021 at 21:37, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If you think about it the team defending the throw in has a man over. If they mark up properly they should make it almost impossible for the team taking the throw to retain possession.

Which means you should always aim to throw it in quick.

Been a while since I saw the word periodisation. 

I remember when Roy Hodgson was manager here. We started the season like a house on fire. It was put down to his regime of training twice a day. We then, in the new year, tailed off badly, and picked up injuries. It was put down to his regime of training twice a day. That was just in one season, maybe we didn't have the work capacity to handle the work, and should've scaled down to one session for the rest of the season, and then go again over the summer. 

I seem to remember Roy saying that he tried to change too much too soon at rovers. Maybe too fixed in his ways from the continent. 

In a way it's very surprising that footballers fitness could be sub-par, given the amount of money in football. In Germany they talk about teams having power, I asked a German mate what they meant, and he said to roll over the opposition like a tank. That's what fitness does for you. 

During lockdown they did a five k competition, and one of their lads did 15 minutes something, not too shabby. 

4 hours ago, broadsword said:

Been a while since I saw the word periodisation. 

I remember when Roy Hodgson was manager here. We started the season like a house on fire. It was put down to his regime of training twice a day. We then, in the new year, tailed off badly, and picked up injuries. It was put down to his regime of training twice a day. That was just in one season, maybe we didn't have the work capacity to handle the work, and should've scaled down to one session for the rest of the season, and then go again over the summer. 

I seem to remember Roy saying that he tried to change too much too soon at rovers. Maybe too fixed in his ways from the continent. 

In a way it's very surprising that footballers fitness could be sub-par, given the amount of money in football. In Germany they talk about teams having power, I asked a German mate what they meant, and he said to roll over the opposition like a tank. That's what fitness does for you. 

During lockdown they did a five k competition, and one of their lads did 15 minutes something, not too shabby. 

I still think that Roy was the best manager we've ever had down at Ewood. He was way ahead of his time and the football we played that season was the most exciting I've ever seen from a Rovers team. 

I think his undoing was trying to completely change the way everything was done all in one go and it upset a lot of the big ego players in the squad. This was still mostly the team that won the league a couple of years before.

He also made some shit signings which didn't help.

I have always had a huge amount of respect for Roy Hodgson and the way he was treated by the press whilst England manager showed what a load of low life bottom feeding scum the media are.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Upside Down said:

I still think that Roy was the best manager we've ever had down at Ewood. He was way ahead of his time and the football we played that season was the most exciting I've ever seen from a Rovers team. 

I think his undoing was trying to completely change the way everything was done all in one go and it upset a lot of the big ego players in the squad. This was still mostly the team that won the league a couple of years before.

He also made some shit signings which didn't help.

I have always had a huge amount of respect for Roy Hodgson and the way he was treated by the press whilst England manager showed what a load of low life bottom feeding scum the media are.

All his signings were shit apart from Stephane Henchoz. That takes some doing. I reckon if the criterion of a Rovers manager was “who wasted the most money “ Hodgson would win hands down. Even Kiddo got a couple right.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

All his signings were shit apart from Stephane Henchoz. That takes some doing. I reckon if the criterion of a Rovers manager was “who wasted the most money “ Hodgson would win hands down. Even Kiddo got a couple right.

Which ones did Kidd get right? I can’t remember