BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

1 hour ago, TheRoversReturn said:

Twas the same at Rovers with a much better manager in the somewhat more rotund shape of Sam Allardyce... 

A significant number of the fanbase never took to him and never would. 

To be fair he was caught red handed a number of times doing dodgy shit. And his teams never played the most flamboyant style of football. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheRoversReturn said:

So obviously a planted story to try and get the Venky's to get the mutli-year contract offered while his stock is high. Really is quite the turnaround from last season when he seemed as desperate as anyone for the chop and his contract paying off. Lazarus would have been impressed by his return from the depths!

To be fair, hard to call being in 4th at this stage of the season anything other than a very good return.

It's where we finish that is the main thing and i feel too many are grasping this good run to wave the TM banner again. A little bit of looking back over the past 3 seasons tells the real story.  So on the back of that i'd be leaving an offer till later in the season but i would be telling him where he stands in private.

A good finish and keep the squad together and we'll talk about an extension, fall away badly, actively try and sell players we don't want to leave, sign duds and we will be looking for change in summer.

At least he knows where he stands and he might even tell them where to go but at least everyone is prepared. It's down to him then, absolutely nobody in their right mind cannot say he hasn't had a fair crack of the whip here.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Whether Mowbray has suddenly become a tactical genius or he's stumbled into some luck - at this moment I really don't care and long may it continue.

Credit where credit is due. This run is amazing!

We were shocking defensively at the start of the season. 4 clean sheets on the bounce to match 4 wins shows the turn around in the team. Mostly without ayala too.

I've stuck the boot in when he's deserved criticism and it's only fair that he gets praise when things go well. 

And since the Fulham debacle things have been going very well. Long may it continue.

• Like 5

It would be churlish not to give credit where it’s due now. In the same way when it all goes tits up with the traditional New Years Mowbray death spiral, hitting the usual levels of mediocrity, he’ll deserve criticism.

Hopefully with the young lads unscarred by the usual meltdowns and Mowbray not tinkering with style, personnel and tactics every game it’ll be different but I won’t hold my breath. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

We were shocking defensively at the start of the season. 4 clean sheets on the bounce to match 4 wins shows the turn around in the team. Mostly without ayala too.

I've stuck the boot in when he's deserved criticism and it's only fair that he gets praise when things go well. 

And since the Fulham debacle things have been going very well. Long may it continue.

The clean sheets are what makes me more confident in the team than anything. It's one thing to score goals but if you start every game 1 - 0 down before kickoff then you're going to be struggling. 

It seems like after the Fulham game words were said and they have tightened up at the back.

Hopefully now we can be two up after the first half and not completely blow it.

• Like 3

One of the main “fortunate” scenarios we’ve had so far (touch wood) is we’ve managed to keep the defence relatively fit, or at least when one has been out, another has returned. 

The recruitment of Pickering and Van Hecke has also stepped this up. 

This will be key to sustaining those clean sheets, and I’m also quite impressed that Pears has stepped up too. Would prefer Kaminski back in ASAP though.

TM’s problem was trying to play the system he’s utilising now, but without the personnel.

Now we have four very handy centre halves for the three spots, with two solid and athletic wing backs (though Nyambe’s injuries are always an issue).

It’s a truism, but build that solid platform  and go from there, especially as never have much issue in scoring goals.

16 minutes ago, JBiz said:

One of the main “fortunate” scenarios we’ve had so far (touch wood) is we’ve managed to keep the defence relatively fit, or at least when one has been out, another has returned. 

The recruitment of Pickering and Van Hecke has also stepped this up. 

This will be key to sustaining those clean sheets, and I’m also quite impressed that Pears has stepped up too. Would prefer Kaminski back in ASAP though.

But the worry now is (again) that Nyambe has "felt his hamstring" and the only alternative usually is playing someone out of position to cover for him.

Right back simply MUST be strengthened in January, its going to need to be anyway by the looks of the contract situation.

Right sided Harry Pickering, make yourself known!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ossydave said:

But the worry now is (again) that Nyambe has "felt his hamstring" and the only alternative usually is playing someone out of position to cover for him.

Right back simply MUST be strengthened in January, its going to need to be anyway by the looks of the contract situation.

I’m afraid Nyambe has got a “ friend for life “ with that hamstring. How long has he been having trouble with it ? I agree we need to find a stand in right back because we’re bound to need one.

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Ossydave said:

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I’m afraid Nyambe has got a “ friend for life “ with that hamstring. How long has he been having trouble with it ? I agree we need to find a stand in right back because we’re bound to need one.

1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I reckon JRC could be decent in that RWB role but the problem is he’d even make Vince Grella look half fit.

This is definitely our biggest issue at the moment. Both our RB and potentially our best backup RB are very injury prone. Travis can play there but we don't really want to be taking him out of midfield. If there's one area of the squad that desperately needs looking at it's that position.

1 hour ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Samba said Blackburn was his home lol. Well, I won't ever forget how desperate he was to leave...Just saying...

We meet him in Quattro the day he signed, he was with his agent. He was a real gent, and my dad’s favourite. He could never get the hang of his name! You can’t believe how many odd looks we got when he shouted for “Sambo” 😂