BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

7 minutes ago, Spartakfenni said:

Van Hecke is the same, his big mistake in the Fulham game really cost us, but thankfully he’s learned from his mistake. Probably the missed game time allowed the coaching staff to really work on him. He’ll go back a better player than he arrived. That’s the frustrating part, as Carter has looked good when he’s played, and proved last seasons loan at Brentford did him good. He now needs to go to a lower Championship team for that next step up. Someone from Swansea downwards in the league.

If we’re going to continue with the 3 centre half system we can’t afford to loan Carter out. He’s needed in case of injury or suspension.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If we’re going to continue with the 3 centre half system we can’t afford to loan Carter out. He’s needed in case of injury or suspension.

Carter ain't good enough to play in a 3.  In my opinion his technical ability isn't good enough and I don't think he has the pace.  I'd ship him out and look for a replacement if we want to be serious about promotion.  

12 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Carter ain't good enough to play in a 3.  In my opinion his technical ability isn't good enough and I don't think he has the pace.  I'd ship him out and look for a replacement if we want to be serious about promotion.  

thats harsh imo,whenever he`s played at the back this year,he`s looked fine,he`s a bit dodgy at right back but thats because he`s out of position,it`s magliore who needs shipping out not carter

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don't think this is a straightforward call, personally. At the moment he's clearly 5th in the pecking order, arguably 6th if Mowbray would play Johnson in the middle of a back three (we can argue whether he should do or not, but he's showed signs against Posh that he would favour that option).

He's just turned 22, and I think it's vital for the player to have a decent number of games under his belt before he enters his mid 20s. I accept it's a bit of a risk though - maybe if we get an extra right back in January & keep Nyambe, then that could provide extra defensive cover there too. 

1 hour ago, lraC said:

The biggest difference for me, was how we looked so vulnerable and not just at the back. I have always been a believer that we defend from the front and everyone has to be aware of their responsibility when we lose the ball. Last season, with the possession based game we were playing, we were just picked off on the counter, time after time and had gaping holes everywhere you looked.

The most pleasing aspect of this season run, since the Fulham game, is everyone suddenly seems to be aware of this and we are snapping at the heels of players to win the ball back.

No team flukes 5 clean sheets in a row, clearly this is now the mentality and despite the 7 in one game, conceding 9 in the last 8 speaks volumes. If Mowbray has drilled this into the squad fair play, as we haven't looked as solid as this, in over a decade.

The revamped midfield helps this imo as instead of having one or even to defensive mids sitting back or the likes of Holtby not getting stuck in. These lot have legs they harrie and close down all the time and get stuck in, bits of shithousery as well, this stuff hasn't been seen since Savage was here.

It ups the tempo of the whole team and encourages the forwards to close down as well, Fulham did it to us. To be a good team in this division it's what you have to do, every game not one in 5.  Thankfully it seems to be core to our style now and we actually have a style.

Long may it continue, if it changes he's got a screw loose because it suits this squad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spartakfenni said:

Van Hecke is the same, his big mistake in the Fulham game really cost us, but thankfully he’s learned from his mistake. Probably the missed game time allowed the coaching staff to really work on him. He’ll go back a better player than he arrived. That’s the frustrating part, as Carter has looked good when he’s played, and proved last seasons loan at Brentford did him good. He now needs to go to a lower Championship team for that next step up. Someone from Swansea downwards in the league.

BURTON, bloody predictive text!!

56 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

He's just turned 22, and I think it's vital for the player to have a decent number of games under his belt before he enters his mid 20s. 

Mowbray should be doing what's right for Blackburn Rovers really. With Ayala's winter injury record we should keep Carter just now. Doing what's best for the player rather than the club has been Mowbray's undoing in seasons gone by.

• Like 6

Just now, oldjamfan1 said:

Mowbray should be doing what's right for Blackburn Rovers really. With Ayala's winter injury record we should keep Carter just now. Doing what's best for the player rather than the club has been Mowbray's undoing in seasons gone by.

It's a gamble, to be sure. 

I suppose my view is that the club also taking a gamble by barely letting a promising 22 year old play for 12 months. Not saying Carter will be as good as Wharton, but we'd be much poorer if instead of spending his early 20s clocking up regular appearances, he instead was sat on our bench occasionally replacing Lenihan, Mulgrew or Tosin.

Not sure which option I think is most sensible, but I'd hate to see Carter go down the same path as Davenport, who doesn't really reach his potential because he doesn't spend enough time on the pitch (alongside injuries in Davenport's case too, obviously). 

18 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

It's a gamble, to be sure. 

I suppose my view is that the club also taking a gamble by barely letting a promising 22 year old play for 12 months. Not saying Carter will be as good as Wharton, but we'd be much poorer if instead of spending his early 20s clocking up regular appearances, he instead was sat on our bench occasionally replacing Lenihan, Mulgrew or Tosin.

Not sure which option I think is most sensible, but I'd hate to see Carter go down the same path as Davenport, who doesn't really reach his potential because he doesn't spend enough time on the pitch (alongside injuries in Davenport's case too, obviously). 

I take your point and I wonder if Wharton would have come on as he has if he’d have been spending most of his season on the bench. Having said that if we are to continue with three centre halves, and I think we should,  we need a couple of decent stand ins. Just having Ayala isn’t enough. One way or another centre halves are prone to injury or suspension.

7 hours ago, Officer Barbrady said:

I know some may still be on the fence with TM due to past season's implosions or what have you, but really can't argue with the way he has this team playing right now. Absolute joy to watch as a fan, and I can't wait to see us again which is good to say as tbh in last couple season's I dreaded to see us play lol.

There is still plenty of time for an implosion yet.

On 19/12/2021 at 23:30, DE. said:

Sometimes there are posts that straddle the line and are difficult to conclusively say are wind up posts or not, so we may leave them up, however in these instances I'd still advise ignoring if you wouldn't be able to respond without throwing in a personal attack on said poster. I've seen far too many very solid debate posts ruined by a line or two of personal attack which not only weakens the argument the person is making, but also means it'll probably end up hidden anyway.

It occurs to me than in the example of the type of post you mention, it would be best to simply delete the line or two that offends you and leave the post with the good bits intact?

What do you think?

Every season since we got promoted in 2018 we have had spells where we have been great to watch and had good results that have got us wondering about the play-offs promotion. 

This has always been the biggest frustration with Mowbray. Because he clearly has enough in his managerial locker to assemble a decent squad, achieve a minimum i.e. keep us clear of relegation issues and keep a happy camp at Brockhall and conduct himself well with the press etc. whilst walking the tightrope of dealing with the loons in India.

But there has always been that issue with him that the good runs quickly come to a catastrophic end and we embark on similar bad spells of 6-7 games which has always ensured we ended up nowhere near the mix in May.

The one last season after Xmas was especially dire and it was abundantly clear in his media comments that even he was fed up and going through the motions.

Go right back to his days at West Brom he has always been a popular bloke and had something about him management wise but then factor in his jobs and seasonal finishes since then and it is clear he has missed that extra bit that the promotion experts like Bruce, Warnock, Hughton have been able to replicate across multiple clubs.

This season feels different for a few reasons. Obviously one of those is the height of the position we are in which is much better than any other time. But beyond that is the way we are playing - the goals being scored, the defensive performances.

No season ends in December so lets hope and pray this can be maintained over the next 23 games and see where it takes us. I still worry he will start to tinker if a few games go against us or if a few injuries strike.

I think/hope one of the reasons we are doing well is that Mowbray has thrown a bit of caution to the wind and stopped with all this 'project' talk that dominated previous seasons. He also hasn't got that group of senior pros in the dressing room to keep on side in his selections and substitutions. It is quite obvious there is no medium-long term plan here with owners who don't communicate, a manager and squad out of contract in 6 months and seemingly still no idea on what (if anything) he can do in 10 days when the window opens. Seems he might have just gone for it knowing it might be his last chance.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 1

• Backroom
2 hours ago, 47er said:

It occurs to me than in the example of the type of post you mention, it would be best to simply delete the line or two that offends you and leave the post with the good bits intact?

What do you think?

Unfortunately that would be open to abuse and changing what people are actually saying.

We prefer to trust people to put their big boy brains on and leave the ludicrous rubbish out.

Easier to hide posts than edit posts. Just make sure your (the royal 'you') post doesn't get hidden by being an adult and, as you say, delete the offensive lines yourself and leave your good bits intact.

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 2

Interesting read in the LT this morning with regard to Mowbrays second half season record. The Rovers bit I knew about but it also takes in his record at previous clubs. Despite the fact he appears to have stumbled on a system that works, I'd still not argue if there was a managerial change right now. Providing it wasn't the cheap option obviously(sadly that appears to be the options our club deal in) 

We've always said Mowbray is a guy who never seems to learn and is too stuborn with his over cooking/rotating methods.

There are signs this season he finally has but those second half season stats follow him around and cannot all be coincidence or bad luck.

Lets us pray he keeps fanning the flames under this team and doesn't revert to the over cautious stuff that seems more natural to him. This side will fall off its bike occasionally as other teams now get prepared for us but hes got to let it regroup and get back on it when it does.

So do the fans.

19 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I take your point and I wonder if Wharton would have come on as he has if he’d have been spending most of his season on the bench. Having said that if we are to continue with three centre halves, and I think we should,  we need a couple of decent stand ins. Just having Ayala isn’t enough. One way or another centre halves are prone to injury or suspension.

Carter, Pratt, Phillips. Would be decent stand-ins. The problem might come if we had to use more than one at once.

Edited by rigger

• Backroom
15 hours ago, 47er said:

What do you think?

As Mike mentioned in his reply, editing other users posts is something we are strictly against. It's important from a legal and (imo anyway) moral standpoint not to do that. The only time we would edit a post would be to change a thread title - eg. the match day threads, to add date, location, etc. The content of the post itself will never be changed by us.

I think your advice is solid as far as general posting goes though. Look over your post after you've written it and, if it contains insults, ask yourself if it's really necessary to make your point? 

• Like 3

• Backroom
11 minutes ago, DE. said:

As Mike mentioned in his reply, editing other users posts is something we are strictly against. It's important from a legal and (imo anyway) moral standpoint not to do that. The only time we would edit a post would be to change a thread title - eg. the match day threads, to add date, location, etc. The content of the post itself will never be changed by us.

I think your advice is solid as far as general posting goes though. Look over your post after you've written it and, if it contains insults, ask yourself if it's really necessary to make your point? 

And if insults ARE necessary to make your point, it's not worth making.

• Like 3