BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

32 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

In defence of TM the Gally impact substitute thing has worked in the past. His stats are far better than when he comes on as a sub than when he starts (I think.) That said plan A was clearly working so a more like for like substitution would have made more sense. Fresh legs as oppose to a new plan seemed to be needed. 

Moved Diaz over to the left, Gally on the right.

I think we scored about 2 minutes later.

With reference to SG signing a new deal, coupled with the spirit, passion & togetherness shown in recent weeks, I think we can safely lay to rest the suggestion that TM is not someone who the players respect. He, as much as anyone, would have cause to complain about TM's square pegs/round holes approach, & his insistence on his (mis)use as a right winger, yet here he is signing a new deal despite his best attributes perhaps being sacrificed for the greater good of other players & the team as a whole. 

Money talks of course and contractual security is a 2 way street, but there's no way he would commit himself now if he thought badly of Mowbray. 

Let's hope DL, RN & JR can quickly come to see things through the same prism as SG does; or maybe the club will be see fit to offer further improved deals now given the current situation anyway? Either way, I don't think the reason they're not signing new deals is a reflection on the manager...

• Like 5

Mowbray has to take his share of credit for this season and the turnaround but there's also nothing saying a new manager wouldn't have this squad in a similar position.

This is a good lively hungry group of players i think they pretty much motivate themselves. Tony hasn't turned into Pep overnight but he's got things to click, hard work starts now though trying to keep up the pace and resist going back to tinkering way too much.

• Like 4

I can’t see him over tinkering now, he can see the prize.

For me, half the reason he tinkered so much in previous years was down to the fact there was no real pressure on him, no danger of the sack, he got to keep a big squad, we probably wouldn’t be in a relegation scrap and probably weren’t good enough for promotion either. So why not!

Now, we’ve ended up with a relatively small squad, and to be fair, recruited smartly on players that can actually fit a system he’s tried and failed with on numerous occasions previously. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Mowbray has to take his share of credit for this season and the turnaround but there's also nothing saying a new manager wouldn't have this squad in a similar position.

This is a good lively hungry group of players i think they pretty much motivate themselves. Tony hasn't turned into Pep overnight but he's got things to click, hard work starts now though trying to keep up the pace and resist going back to tinkering way too much.

Yeah who’s to say what any one else may or may not have done.

Personally I’d have sacked Mowbray after the league one defeat vs Oldham which represented 3 defeats in 10 or something. Mercifully we limped to automatic promotion but have had 3 more mediocre finishes since, would that have been wrong to sack him after Oldham, it’s simply impossible to say. Although in terms of every league finish under Mowbray so far I’d expect any average manager to have achieved the same.

At the start of this season whoever was in charge - automatic promotion unfathomably brilliant season, play offs great season, 7th-10th good season, 10th-15th average season, 16th-21st bad season, relegation terrible season. Personally I expected an average to bad season (because of Mowbray) with an outside chance of relegation. So if he’s able to do top 10 I’d say he’s overachieved in a season and it’ll be the first one he has. 

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Personally I’d have sacked Mowbray after the league one defeat vs Oldham which represented 3 defeats in 10 or something. Mercifully we limped to automatic promotion but have had 3 more mediocre finishes since, would that have been wrong to sack him after Oldham, it’s simply impossible to say. Although in terms of every league finish under Mowbray so far I’d expect any average manager to have achieved the same.

At the start of this season whoever was in charge - automatic promotion unfathomably brilliant season, play offs great season, 7th-10th good season, 10th-15th average season, 16th-21st bad season, relegation terrible season. Personally I expected an average to bad season (because of Mowbray) with an outside chance of relegation. So if he’s able to do top 10 I’d say he’s overachieved in a season and it’ll be the first one he has. 

Not the main point to your post but we didnt limp to promotion in League 1, we finished 9 points clear.

• Like 1

I was with TM until the 2nd half of last season, I felt he'd done well up to then, & was scuppered by injuries to key players the season before.

But I would've been happy to see him leave in summer, as Feb - April was a disaster, no doubt about it. 

But clearly he still had the players on his side, so whatever he was doing with them behind the scenes was working, whatever else it might have looked like to us as outsiders.

Imo he deserves all the credit that comes his way for galvanising this squad into what it has become, much against the odds; let's hope this ride can continue, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't. 

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, El Tombro said:

I think even the most reserved of supporters will have been in the same boat on that one. It was an oddity that he was still here, but I love nothing more than Rovers winning and eating our own words. And I'm still hungry.

If we get promotion, I will be more Humble than Uriah Heap.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, matt83 said:

The Oldham game was one of the worst away games I’ve ever experienced, October of that season - particularly bad memories of Bennett rounding the keeper and missing an open net and Byrne (for them) having an absolute cracker.

I probably would’ve taken a new manager at that point, however I was concerned about the overhaul of the squad, and giving the manager at least a few months (this was in October) to gel them together.

After this, we didn’t lose a game till February and comfortably finished the season in the automatic spots.

Each to their own, but to me, the idea that this is “limping to automatic promotion” is about as ridiculous as it gets. It’s a contradiction, an oxymoron. 

In hindsight to suggest anyone else would’ve achieved it? Again, completely goes in the face of reality. Go watch Sheffield Wednesday with their big budget in league one, watch “Sunderland till I die”… there are so many examples of this being far more difficult than we made it look.

As for this season - whilst I agree on your scale, I’d say the culmination of his “journey” has brought a better opportunity for anyone who picks up the reigns next.

Compared to the Blackburn Rovers TM inherited, this version is complete overhaul.

How many managers survive a record 7-0 home defeat? There have been so many occasions during his tenure when Tony should have been sacked but here he is with a young team in excellent form and pushing for promotion. It could all go wrong of course and another famous death spiral would see us drop out of the top 6 but it would appear Tony has a job at Ewood for as long as he wants it

2 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

How many managers survive a record 7-0 home defeat? There have been so many occasions during his tenure when Tony should have been sacked but here he is with a young team in excellent form and pushing for promotion. It could all go wrong of course and another famous death spiral would see us drop out of the top 6 but it would appear Tony has a job at Ewood for as long as he wants it

If he fails to get us promote now he needs sacking 

46 minutes ago, JBiz said:

The Oldham game was one of the worst away games I’ve ever experienced, October of that season - particularly bad memories of Bennett rounding the keeper and missing an open net and Byrne (for them) having an absolute cracker.

I probably would’ve taken a new manager at that point, however I was concerned about the overhaul of the squad, and giving the manager at least a few months (this was in October) to gel them together.

After this, we didn’t lose a game till February and comfortably finished the season in the automatic spots.

Each to their own, but to me, the idea that this is “limping to automatic promotion” is about as ridiculous as it gets. It’s a contradiction, an oxymoron. 

In hindsight to suggest anyone else would’ve achieved it? Again, completely goes in the face of reality. Go watch Sheffield Wednesday with their big budget in league one, watch “Sunderland till I die”… there are so many examples of this being far more difficult than we made it look.

As for this season - whilst I agree on your scale, I’d say the culmination of his “journey” has brought a better opportunity for anyone who picks up the reigns next.

Compared to the Blackburn Rovers TM inherited, this version is complete overhaul.

After 39 games we were level on points with the mighty Shrewsbury. Whilst it might not have been a limp per se it certainly felt as though it was a struggle. At that point they more or less pressed the panic button and it was plain sailing in the last few games.

Theres some teams like sheff wed/ Sunderland with big budgets who are failing but their failures aren’t our success in the same way wolves going straight through the divisions aren’t our failure. But getting that rovers squad promoted from league one was the bare minimum and considering the other teams there finishing 2nd was below par. 

But does that matter?

We had a fantastic bunch of players in 2001 and still didn’t get close to winning the league, and in 1992, the mighty Dalglish nearly had us missing out on the play offs entirely…but so what, it’s about the end result - promotion!

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, matt83 said:

After 39 games we were level on points with the mighty Shrewsbury. Whilst it might not have been a limp per se it certainly felt as though it was a struggle. At that point they more or less pressed the panic button and it was plain sailing in the last few games.

Theres some teams like sheff wed/ Sunderland with big budgets who are failing but their failures aren’t our success in the same way wolves going straight through the divisions aren’t our failure. But getting that rovers squad promoted from league one was the bare minimum and considering the other teams there finishing 2nd was below par. 

This reminds me of a discussion I had with a famous BRFCSer who’s seemingly given up… Referring to the Charlton game as TM “giving away a trophy”…

Whilst I disagree, it’s a fair comment - perhaps I see it as a bigger achievement because of “what could’ve happened” if this club had stayed at that level for another 3 seasons….!

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

But does that matter?

We had a fantastic bunch of players in 2001 and still didn’t get close to winning the league, and in 1992, the mighty Dalglish nearly had us missing out on the play offs entirely…but so what, it’s about the end result - promotion!

Spot on.

And worth reminding the poster who thinks we limped to promotion that it was actually a season with a record number of points and league wins.

Spending as little time as we did down there is far more important than whether or not we won the league.

Many a team have been sucked into the third division never to be seen again. Thankfully we do not find ourselves amongst that category.

Now let's get the fuck out of this division.