BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

37 minutes ago, bazza said:

That's 400 more than the Oxford game in League 1.

Ha! Some special circumstances there. You have to remember that attendances plunged at Ewood after that Cup Final disaster. We were building them up again  with that 1963 team.

33 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

The huge gates folk always remember from the 50s and 60s were for FA Cup ties, a national phenomenon in that era.

Our top flight league gates were largely similar to what we had in the 90s/2000s

Yeah, you’re right Matty. The only thing I would add is that in the fifties rovers were mainly a second division club.

attendances from 1889. No idea how accurate they are.

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/blar.htm

Edited by den
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, 47er said:

Ha! Some special circumstances there. You have to remember that attendances plunged at Ewood after that Cup Final disaster. We were building them up again  with that 1963 team.

Then came the shock FA Cup defeat away to Oxford United, captained by one Ron Atkinson IIRC. And it was a shock - scarcely believeable at the time. A sign of the decline to come unfortunately 

18 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

What was the very first game you went to?

Rovers v Man City-- 1952 I think. I have no recollection of the game at all as I was 2 years old and sitting on my Dad's shoulders!

He told me Trautman was in goal for City, we had 3 penalties and missed 2! But really, on the day I was probably busy teething or wondering where my Teddy was!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 47er said:

Rovers v Man City-- 1952 I think. I have no recollection of the game at all as I was 2 years old and sitting on my Dad's shoulders!

He told me Trautman was in goal for City, we had 3 penalties and missed 2! But really, on the day I was probably busy teething or wondering where my Teddy was!

Great stuff!

My first game was Rovers vs Liverpool in the PL winning season.

I’d just moved up north to go to college - a decision which was based solely on football 😁

36 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Then came the shock FA Cup defeat away to Oxford United, captained by one Ron Atkinson IIRC. And it was a shock - scarcely believeable at the time. A sign of the decline to come unfortunately 

That’s when the rot set in for sure. We really could have won it that season, as it was West Ham and second division Preston played it out. Next thing you know we’d sold Fred Pickering, wasted the money trying to replace him, and it was slowly downhill after that.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Great stuff!

My first game was Rovers vs Liverpool in the PL winning season.

I’d just moved up north to go to college - a decision which was based solely on football 😁

I got the date wrong---1949!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 47er said:

3 penalties in game back them ! That was something. You had to be caught taking the lace out or cutting somebody in half to get a penalty then.

1 hour ago, wilsdenrover said:

What was the very first game you went to?

can`t remember tbh,dad used to take me and my sisters all over lancashire on a saturday afternoon following chorley,when i got a bit older it was just me,him ,his mates and rovers,first rovers game i can recall is coventry at home in the cup circa 1980,andy crawford banged in the winner,to my horror we would`nt let me go to the next round against villa,citing the big crowd and possible trouble,i think it was just an excuse so he could so on a session before the match🙂

• Like 1

My first game was Rovers v Sheff Utd at Ewood. It was a beautiful autumn Saturday afternoon and Ewood looked great. Unfortunately we lost 1-2 and it wasn’t a great game but I was hooked.

Sept 30th 1961. Rovers 1 - Sheff Utd 2. Scorer- Ian Lawther

Att. 16,677

Rovers Team

Else.

Bray, Newton.

Clayton, Woods, McGrath.

Crowe, England, Lawther, Douglas, Haverty.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

First game I remember (my dad had taken me on before then) was 1st game of the season Rovers 1 Sheff Utd 5.   1951?

First team I remember was:-  Patterson; Suart, Eckersley; Campbell. Holt, Bell; Graham, Crossan, Harris, Todd, Wharton.

• Like 1