BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

Always makes me laugh how irate football fans get these days whenever the ‘soccer’ word gets used like it’s some modern phenomenon worming its way in from those pesky Yanks.

But as the above shows it was often used interchangeably with ‘football’ in days gone by.

19 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Always makes me laugh how irate football fans get these days whenever the ‘soccer’ word gets used like it’s some modern phenomenon worming its way in from those pesky Yanks.

But as the above shows it was often used interchangeably with ‘football’ in days gone by.

Started as a ‘posh boys’ thing…

Linguistically creative students at the University of Oxford in the 1880s distinguished between the sports of “rugger” (rugby football) and “assoccer” (association football). The latter term was further shortened to “soccer” (sometimes spelled “socker”), and the name quickly spread beyond the campus. However, “soccer” never became much more than a nickname in Great Britain

20 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I hated Ceefax and yearned for the return of the Teleprinter. How times change.

I remember being stood outside “ Radio Rentals “ watching the scores come in on the old teleprinter on a TV in the shop window after my youth club team had played -  “ FA Cup Rnd 5  Oxford Utd 3 Blackburn Rovers 1.

I said to my mate “ That can’t be right, they must have mixed the scores up ! “

Oxford had only just come into the football league and we were up at the top of division 1. The one year I really fancied us to win the FA Cup.

Nearly as shocking as opening the first paper on my paper round to see -

“ Blackburn Rovers 1 - Workington Town 5 “.  Whaaaat ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, rigger said:

I used to get them buses regularly. Always tried to nick the ticket rolls, to throw on when we scored.

I usually walked from the Boulevard unless it was pissing down or I was late. I remember waiting by that bus stop near Bill Eckersley’s old shop at the ground to get autographs. Fred Pickering, Keith Newton and Mike England jumped off once. Imagine that now, First Division footballers going to the game on public transport !

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Gav said:

Ewood Park next stop.

IMG_1760.thumb.png.f73b42840ddae4cb322267e660f37da2.png

It was a similar picture in Darren Gav. The old red Darren Corporation buses would be queued out Woolies at the Circus and ferry supporters to Ewood. After the match the buses would be parked at the bottom of Cravens Brow for the return journey. There would always be someone with a transistor radio so we could listen to James Alexander Gordon reading the results at 5 o'clock.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

It was a similar picture in Darren Gav. The old red Darren Corporation buses would be queued out Woolies at the Circus and ferry supporters to Ewood. After the match the buses would be parked at the bottom of Cravens Brow for the return journey. There would always be someone with a transistor radio so we could listen to James Alexander Gordon reading the results at 5 o'clock.

Sigh! Remember it like yesterday. Chatting with strangers all the way home about the game ..

Still the best way to get to Ewood and back, none of the worries about parking, why can't that come back?

• Like 1