BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

The Tony Parkes (non) Riverside just sums up the malaise of this past 13 years.

Would’ve been an easy win, minimal costs, be a great PR occasion for the club and most importantly would have meant the world to Tony’s family - yet it is just kicked into the long grass and forgotten about.

A zombie club.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

top night,rolled my ankle going bananas after the bentley goal,could hardly get up livesey branch road,got a few days off work as well as i could barely walk😁,the perfect match and result

I will never ever tire of seeing that setup from super Rio for that goal.

I love how he tries to blame the keeper.

• Like 1

This is just some musings.
I was thinking about rubber dinghy men (actually occasioned by something on 606 phone-in.) Remember those days when we were relegated 98/99? And I got to thinking of the ins and outs, whys and wherefores.

A thread here from 2020
https://www.brfcs.com/forums/topic/34492-9899-relegation/

and a good piece on Hodgson here
https://90sfootballparty.wordpress.com/2016/08/02/home-too-soon-hodgson-at-blackburn/

The latter did make me think about JDT and training methods. Hodgson was a real eye opener for English players and his first season here was electric. But then it all went pear shaped. Gallagher talking about double sessions making them knackered was interesting.

But then, like a multinational, institution, family saga or soap opera, many factors were at play. Difficult personalities, failed signings (Davies/Peacock) in terms of performance, mistakes by the owner (Jack), injuries and so on all leading to catastrophe. And that was even when we had money!

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Here’s a trivia question for you. Without using Google etc, how many Rovers managers won European Cup/ Champions League winners medals as players and who are they?

Kidd

Dalglish

Souness

Berg

Tomasson

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Kidd

Dalglish

Souness

Berg

Tomasson

Like me you’re old enough to remember Kidd at Wembley - my kids didn’t get him but got Lambert, who was perhaps a less obvious one. Berg didn’t actually play in the final but still got a winners medal and it’s quite surprising really that Hughes and Ince aren’t on the list - my younger lad thought they might have been. Plenty of league titles between them but not the big cup.

39 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

+ Lambert??

Full house mate, well done.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Like me you’re old enough to remember Kidd at Wembley - my kids didn’t get him but got Lambert, who was perhaps a less obvious one. Berg didn’t actually play in the final but still got a winners medal and it’s quite surprising really that Hughes and Ince aren’t on the list - my younger lad thought they might have been. Plenty of league titles between them but not the big cup.

I knew Kidd but I don’t think I’d have remembered if he hadn’t been on @arbitro’s list.

• Like 1

On 12/02/2024 at 06:31, oldjamfan1 said:

I'm sure that Kean told someone along the way that if it wasn't for injuries he'd have won one too. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I'm sure that Kean told someone along the way that if it wasn't for injuries he'd have won one too. 

Ah we've all told the same story mate ha ha.

My brother-in-law actually used to coach Kean at Celtic youth level. He says he wasn't particularly good. No surprise there then eh?

• Like 1