BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

12 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I usually walked from the Boulevard unless it was pissing down or I was late. I remember waiting by that bus stop near Bill Eckersley’s old shop at the ground to get autographs. Fred Pickering, Keith Newton and Mike England jumped off once. Imagine that now, First Division footballers going to the game on public transport !

And 3 full internationals as well! What would they be worth at their peak now?

3 minutes ago, 47er said:

And 3 full internationals as well! What would they be worth at their peak now?

Well each of them went for a record fee between two British clubs in their respective positions. Fred was the most expensive player in any position. Only Jimmy Greaves and Denis Law had been sold for more and they came back from Italian clubs. Mike was the most expensive centre half and Keith was the most expensive full back.

So work that out. My guess, £100 million for Fred,  £75 million for Mike, £40 million for Keith.

22 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Well each of them went for a record fee between two British clubs in their respective positions. Fred was the most expensive player in any position. Only Jimmy Greaves and Denis Law had been sold for more and they came back from Italian clubs. Mike was the most expensive centre half and Keith was the most expensive full back.

So work that out. My guess, £100 million for Fred,  £75 million for Mike, £40 million for Keith.

Mike England was so much better than say Harry MacGuire and he went to United for £80M and that was 4 years ago so probably more than £75M? Agree with the other 2.

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Sigh! Remember it like yesterday. Chatting with strangers all the way home about the game ..

Still the best way to get to Ewood and back, none of the worries about parking, why can't that come back?

Privatisation.

There are several buses going to Ewood from various pubs at the top end of Darwen but these are run privately. The guys that organise these do a sterling job but one of my many gripes is that Rovers should at least be looking at and perhaps trialling such a service from the various town centres.

• Like 2

Eric Morcambe 1977 ITV World of Sport, iconic tune, iconic show.

On Boxing Day 1977 we beat burnley 3-2 at the morgue, its estimated over 10,000 Rovers fans attended that day. The away section was full by 2pm, Rovers fans were then directed to Bee Hole end and battles ensued. 

Edited by Gav
  • Like 4

On 23/12/2023 at 09:13, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

So the question is Tyrone, how much would Duggie and Ronnie be worth in todays market - in your opinion?

21 hours ago, Ianrally said:

It seems to be that the blame is always laid at the door of the keeper on most occasions. 
I met him on the Isle of Mull where he was a postman and I think ran a guest house. The poor lad finished up suffering with Altzheimers before he died 

On that occasion he had a game to forget. Dived over one my mum could have kept out then went to pieces.

4 hours ago, Gav said:

No explanation needed.

IMG_1832.thumb.png.4b7ded6ed84f839ddf480e2c65f51e5d.png

As a young lad, I absolutely loved having one of those league ladders each season. I would religiously update each league every week. However, Rovers always ended up top of the First Division, the Burnley card went straight in the fire before a ball was kicked. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Riversider28 said:

As a young lad, I absolutely loved having one of those league ladders each season. I would religiously update each league every week. However, Rovers always ended up top of the First Division, the Burnley card went straight in the fire before a ball was kicked. 

I used to be fasinated with the names of some of the Scottish teams.

• Like 2

On 30/12/2023 at 17:13, rigger said:

I used to be fasinated with the names of some of the Scottish teams.

Me too, especially when clubs like Stenhousemuir don’t exist as an actual location. Another interesting fact is that Queen of the South are the only football club in the UK to be mentioned in the bible. 

Edited by Ianrally
  • Like 3

“They’ll be dancing in the streets of Raith tonight”…

A famous faux pas by the BBC’s Sam Leitch after the Kirkcaldy team had knocked the mighty Celtic out of the Scottish Cup.

Another well known mistake is to assume that Partick Thistle actually play in Partick (Maryhill, not far away but far enough to matter to the locals).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I see Bobby Hoy who played a handful of games in the promotion run at the end of the 1974-75 season has died. He was a tricky winger that we signed from Huddersfield Town. He played a dozen games in the following season before leaving to join Halifax Town

Bobby, Bobby, Bobby, Hoy, Hoy, Hoy.

• Like 1

• J*B unpinned this topic

Mods - Can we permanently pin this to the top?
Some great clips and archive in here, posters have made a real effort on content.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 5