BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

No I didn’t but Bobby Moore said he hated playing against him. It was the same story any time Bolton played West Ham after he left Rovers.

I did! Great day especially as my flatmate was a West Ham fan! Some nasty stuff in the crowd that day, Hammers fans not exactly saints.

7 hours ago, den said:

Did anyone else go down to West Ham for the cup game that finished 3-3? This guy scored all three goals that day.

Yep---me again!

19 minutes ago, 47er said:

I did! Great day especially as my flatmate was a West Ham fan! Some nasty stuff in the crowd that day, Hammers fans not exactly saints.

Yep---me again!

For a season, after we sold Fred Pickering and gave John a go in the No 9 shirt John and Andy McEvoy were brilliant as a pair.

Season 1964-65.

Johnny - 40 league games out of 42 = 25 goals ( 2 hat tricks ) + 2 in the cups.

Andy - 40 league games out of 42 = 29 goals ( 2 hat tricks ) + 3 in the cups.

What those two would be worth today ?

I just looked at John’s record against West Ham

1961-62 H 3 goals, A 1 goal

1962-63 H 0 goals A 0 goals

1963-64 H +A not selected, Fred was No 9.

1964-65 H 3 goals A 1 goal

1965-66 H 0 goals A 0 goals - FA Cup H 1 goal A 3 goals

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Did anyone else go down to West Ham for the cup game that finished 3-3? This guy scored all three goals that day.

Yes, I was there. Went down on the coach. We picked up a bunch of Burnley fans and dropped them off at WHL, as they were playing Spurs. Returned for them after the match. 
Great game. Remember Douglas got injured and limped around on the wing as there were no subs allowed back then. 

I did! Great day especially as my flatmate was a West Ham fan! Some nasty stuff in the crowd that day,Hammers fans not exactly saints.

I remember bottles flying behind the goal as rival fans clashed. Police jumped in and formed a big circle and separated the two groups. 

22 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

I woz there, but not in the queue because my dad already had tickets. 42,000 on Ewood, it was dangerous 

i`ve been in crowds of 20000+ in the old ewood and in the blackburn end  you felt like a sardine in a tin,i would never imagine at crowd of 42000,they must have shoehorned you in😀even with the large terrace on the riverside

Sky showing the full game of last game of the 1994/95 season at Anfield.   Remember it like it was yesterday.   Forgot how different football was back then. Much more fast paced, frantic and scrappy.  Was like watching a pinball machine.

It seems like yesterday but it really is a long time ago now.  Nearly 30 years! Bloody hell.

• Like 3

On 15/11/2023 at 09:10, mick said:

I remember bottles flying behind the goal as rival fans clashed. Police jumped in and formed a big circle and separated the two groups. 

I remember a pole with barbed wire wrapped round it being thrown at us. Went over my head ( so to speak).

On 16/11/2023 at 05:57, simongarnerisgod said:

i`ve been in crowds of 20000+ in the old ewood and in the blackburn end  you felt like a sardine in a tin,i would never imagine at crowd of 42000,they must have shoehorned you in😀even with the large terrace on the riverside

Well how would you fancy 52000 at the old ground? Twice in 4 days!

But for some reason the City game was more scary. Big sway on the Riverside!

9 hours ago, Nuttall is lost said:

Sky showing the full game of last game of the 1994/95 season at Anfield.   Remember it like it was yesterday.   Forgot how different football was back then. Much more fast paced, frantic and scrappy.  Was like watching a pinball machine.

It seems like yesterday but it really is a long time ago now.  Nearly 30 years! Bloody hell.

I think the word is - “ exciting “.

• Like 4

Hi guys, I've tried to get a cigarette card collection together of rovers players of yesteryear. Thought it would be nice to have on the wall, I wouldn't have seen any of these play, but it's just something nice that is pre venkys.

What do you reckon, any good? There's only some players you can get, done that I wanted don't even exist at all. I really wanted Billy garbutt, he's revered in Italy because he managed there. But no doing sadly.

20231123_111408.JPG

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, broadsword said:

Hi guys, I've tried to get a cigarette card collection together of rovers players of yesteryear. Thought it would be nice to have on the wall, I wouldn't have seen any of these play, but it's just something nice that is pre venkys.

What do you reckon, any good? There's only some players you can get, done that I wanted don't even exist at all. I really wanted Billy garbutt, he's revered in Italy because he managed there. But no doing sadly.

20231123_111408.JPG

That's awesome.

• Like 1

On 14/11/2023 at 20:32, jim mk2 said:

I woz there, but not in the queue because my dad already had tickets. 42,000 on Ewood, it was dangerous 

Yes my Dad took my Mum to that she said she was scared

She boycotted for over a decade

Her next game afterwards was the Div 3 end of season clash night clash in 79/80 May v Sheff Wednesday we lost 1 nil I think, just before we took 8k away to Bury

Great corrective that to when folk say ‘’well we had shit crowds in the 80s in this league, just how it is here without Jack”.

Pretty much everybody had shit gates then, just like pretty much everybody’s gates are at a decades high now… with a very notable exception.

Football crowds in this country are booming at all levels, from the PL through to non league, alas the mismanagement of this football club means we have somehow missed out entirely.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Great corrective that to when folk say ‘’well we had shit crowds in the 80s in this league, just how it is here without Jack”.

Pretty much everybody had shit gates then, just like pretty much everybody’s gates are at a decades high now… with a very notable exception.

Football crowds in this country are booming at all levels, from the PL through to non league, alas the mismanagement of this football club means we have somehow missed out entirely.

getting your head kicked in or being hit by a flying coin possibly had something to do with it😉,it was`nt socially acceptable to be a football fan in the 80`s,personally i thought it was great,providing you avoided the trouble,the football was better,the atmosphere was better and the game was`nt stopped every five minutes by the ref booking someone

• Like 1