BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

11 minutes ago, broadsword said:

Just a bit of fun and I don't know the answer to this.

But who was Blackburn rovers' first foreign signing?

Think it was some Danish fella in the seventies but I forget him name 

Ben Arentoft? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, broadsword said:

Yeah that's who I was thinking of, was he the first?

But then foreign could also include players from the Republic of Ireland?

Furthest one back I can find is this chap (not spent ages looking though!)

https://www.lfchistory.net/players/player/profile/805/

Edited by wilsdenrover

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Just proving balls whipped in from out wide near the bye line are hard to defend against. Plus you only need to get half a yard on the full back to get a cross in.

David Bentley was another who only needed half a yard. The amount of times wide players in general get into crossing positions today, only to then turn back and play it backwards, is incredible and also frustrating to watch.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

It’ll be because some ‘analyst’ will have a stat that says ‘54% of crosses end up in lost possession, whereas 99% of five yard backwards passes keep it recycled’

Fun the modern game, ain’t it.

It will be along those very lines.

The likes of Duffer, Pires, Ginola, Gillespie etc would be lost if they were playing today. 

39 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

It will be along those very lines.

The likes of Duffer, Pires, Ginola, Gillespie etc would be lost if they were playing today. 

One of the best I ever saw was Ricky Holden at Oldham and City. I swear I could run faster but all he needed was a little jink to buy him half a yard and he’d whip in a great cross. A left footer playing on the left wing. No way would Mowbray and most modern coaches play him there. 
Talking Rovers players, Mike Harrison could put over a bullet of a cross without breaking his stride whilst running at top speed. Not something you see much these days.
The speed of the cross is important as well, whipped in,  it cuts down defenders reaction time.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

14 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

One of the best I ever saw was Ricky Holden at Oldham and City. I swear I could run faster but all he needed was a little jink to buy him half a yard and he’d whip in a great cross. A left footer playing on the left wing. No way would Mowbray and most modern coaches play him there. 
Talking Rovers players, Mike Harrison could put over a bullet of a cross without breaking his stride whilst running at top speed. Not something you see much these days.
The speed of the cross is important as well, whipped in,  it cuts down defenders reaction time.

Also if you do get on the end of it, you don't have to generate power, it is already there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Mike Harrison, what a player.

22 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

The bottom picture I can count Ten Factory Chimney's alone in that section of Blackburn's Industrial Skyline.The Red painted Gates of the Fox and Hounds Pub were still there in the early 2000's.Before the Blue and Whites Club was built and Tiverton Drive Estate off Heys lane was just a Farmers Field.

Wonderful snapshots in time...I wonder what his Dad was doing right at the top of the Darwen End Floodlight!

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

The bottom picture alone I can count Ten Factory Chimney's alone in that section of Blackburn's Industrial Skyline.The Red painted Gates of the Fox and Hounds Pub were still there in the early 2000's.Before the Blue and Whites Club was built and Tiverton Drive Estate off Heys lane was just a Farmers Field.

Wonderful snapshots in time...I wonder what his Dad was doing right at the top of the Darwen End Floodlight!

It was a cup match, and they had shut the Blackburn end ?

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Similar John Robertson at Forest. What a player he was.

• Like 1