BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

5 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Stating the obvious but we really must make some major headway with a GK in the next week. Chucking in a new keeper with a back 4 (we don’t even have one of those!) they don’t know, will be a recipe for disaster.

Yeah, it's really worrying. People will say give it time/nobody is making signings etc BUT we don't have that, we should be acting quicker than everyone else. We're in a bigger mess than everyone else. 

Watched Harry Souttar play for Fleetwood, had half an eye on him as I remembered the name being mentioned a while ago, I wasn't too impressed, in fact I'd say he was poor and even given his age didn't show much promise.

Would be much happier with Kipre as I remember him playing quite well against us and when I've seen a few limited highlights, so although I don't believe we have been linked with him I hope we at least inquire.

Just now, Blueandwhitemike said:

Watched Harry Souttar play for Fleetwood, had half an eye on him as I remembered the name being mentioned a while ago, I wasn't too impressed, in fact I'd say he was poor and even given his age didn't show much promise.

Would be much happier with Kipre as I remember him playing quite well against us and when I've seen a few limited highlights, so although I don't believe we have been linked with him I hope we at least inquire.

Kipre is insane and being looked at by premier League clubs.

Charlie Goode could be off to QPR.

Mark Warburton can spot a player, and he seems to think Goode is good enough. Hehe.

Right now I'll take absolutely anyone walking through the doors, or at least some sort of acknowledgement from Tony that we are on with it. If he plans on playing Wharton there then tell us because right now I'm thinking we are about to walk into pre-season with no senior goalkeeper or centre half, and a ragtag bunch to play full backs or wingers.

We will not get promoted with Amari'i Bell and Elliott Bennett taking turns to play full back. Even if Bell has been improving. 

1 minute ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Charlie Goode could be off to QPR.

Mark Warburton can spot a player, and he seems to think Goode is good enough. Hehe.

Right now I'll take absolutely anyone walking through the doors, or at least some sort of acknowledgement from Tony that we are on with it. If he plans on playing Wharton there then tell us because right now I'm thinking we are about to walk into pre-season with no senior goalkeeper or centre half, and a ragtag bunch to play full backs or wingers.

We will not get promoted with Amari'i Bell and Elliott Bennett taking turns to play full back. Even if Bell has been improving. 

No matter what, we can't start the season with our left back options as Bell, Bennett and JRC.

Agree with @Gavlar Somerset Rover! really need to get this keeper situation sorted ASAP, the longer it drags on, the more concerning it gets.

• Backroom

Hope we get a permanent keeper in before going for Philip Seymour Hoffman otherwise Benny Ben Benson may finally get a game at some point!

Shooting drills in pre season will be easy at least 

Few comments about Cedric Kipre.. based off of my viewing of Wigan (which is fairly often, I've from the area and I speak to plenty of Wigan fans), he really isn't of the calibre to go to the Premier League, it's a lot of hype for me because he's a big lad who can win a header. He doesn't have the ball playing ability to play in a possession based side in my opinion, or the pace to play in a high line like Rovers do. Wigan defend deep in two blocks of a 4 and a 5, he isn't very often exposed like Tosin and Darragh are with our defensive line usually sat closer to the half way line than our own box.

18 minutes ago, Ruaney said:

Yeah, it's really worrying. People will say give it time/nobody is making signings etc BUT we don't have that, we should be acting quicker than everyone else. We're in a bigger mess than everyone else. 

The difference is that pretty much every other club has done some business of a positive nature. They have either appointed new management teams, signed at least one player or have issued new deals to senior players.

Off the pitch most clubs have done basics like securing revenue streams by selling tickets and memberships or releasing new kits.

None of them have allowed a situation to develop whereby they have no goalkeeper and are facing a race against time to find one of a good enough standard before the season starts.

It makes an absolute mockery of Mowbray's proclamations of building a squad and developing something here. It just hasn't happened. It also makes a complete mockery of Waggott's regular pleading poverty woe be us spiel.

It seems the entire club is in lockdown waiting for something to happen. 

We are going to be in serious trouble if we haven't sorted this within the next fortnight.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well clubs will probably be excluded from the rules. All players will be tested on return. Plenty have been overseas on holiday in recent weeks 

Sadly not the case Chaddy. I remember hearing a few weeks ago about Valladolid's defender Mohamed Salisu "on his way to England" to sign for Southampton. It'd all gone quiet until yesterday when they announced the signing and mentioned he'd passed a medical after being required to follow UK quarantine rules for however many days it was. You'd have to imagine now that most players signed are going to be UK based.

Edited by Traviscon

Just now, Traviscon said:

Sadly not the case Chaddy. I remember hearing a few weeks ago about Valladolid's defender Mohamed Salisu "on his way to England" to sign for Southampton. It'd all gone quiet until yesterday when they announced the signing and mentioned he'd passed a medical after being required to follow UK quarantine rules for however many days it was. You'd have to imagine now that most players signed are going to be UK based.

Or sign from other countries like Germany or Austria which arent affected.

Maybe the keeper we wanted cant sign yet due to the quarantine rules. Who knows

25 minutes ago, JHRover said:

None of them have allowed a situation to develop whereby they have no goalkeeper and are facing a race against time to find one of a good enough standard before the season starts.

This is wrong as Us, Rotherham, Huddersfield, Swansea all need keepers in. 

27 minutes ago, JHRover said:

It seems the entire club is in lockdown waiting for something to happen. 

If you drive past Ewood Park in recent times the club is lock up and only a few cars on the main Rovers car park. So minimum staff in. 

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

If you drive past Ewood Park in recent times the club is lock up and only a few cars on the main Rovers car park. So minimum staff in. 

They're all working from home, don't think everyone is furloughed, and obviously most of the important staff are based at Brockhall.

5 minutes ago, JoeH said:

They're all working from home, don't think everyone is furloughed, and obviously most of the important staff are based at Brockhall.

That's fine but Mowbray and recruitment team need to get 3 in before in the couple of weeks..busy times ahead..

Is Mowbray even at Brockhall working this week or working from home when he based down here?

Edited by chaddyrovers

47 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Few comments about Cedric Kipre.. based off of my viewing of Wigan (which is fairly often, I've from the area and I speak to plenty of Wigan fans), he really isn't of the calibre to go to the Premier League, it's a lot of hype for me because he's a big lad who can win a header. He doesn't have the ball playing ability to play in a possession based side in my opinion, or the pace to play in a high line like Rovers do. Wigan defend deep in two blocks of a 4 and a 5, he isn't very often exposed like Tosin and Darragh are with our defensive line usually sat closer to the half way line than our own box.

I really hope that Mowbray isnt prioritising the ability to play the ball out over the ability to keep the ball out of our net.

• Like 3

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I really hope that Mowbray isnt prioritising the ability to play the ball out over the ability to keep the ball out of our net.

It doesn't work like that, it isn't as black and white/this or that as you're portraying it with that post.

Ball playing defender doesn't mean he can't "Keep the ball out", it means his main abilities are with the ball, vs Darragh Lenihan without it, it doesn't ever have to mean necessarily that they can't defend, just that they have ball playing skills in their locker.

Edited by JoeH

Just now, JoeH said:

It doesn't work like that, it isn't as black and white/this or that as you're portraying it with that post.

Ball playing defender doesn't mean he can't "Keep the ball out", it means his main abilities are with the ball, vs Darragh Lenihan without it, it doesn't ever have to mean necessarily that they can't defend, just that they have ball playing skills in their locker.

On a very limited budget when we also have numerous other positions to sign, I struggle to believe that we can get a good player who can do both well. 

Adarabioyo is unattainable and even with him in the defence we still conceded 63 goals and he could do both. Although he wasnt as defensively capable as Lenihan in my opinion.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ruaney said:

Do they all need TWO keepers?

Very good point made. 

We deffo need 2 keepers in

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

On a very limited budget when we also have numerous other positions to sign, I struggle to believe that we can get a good player who can do both well. 

Adarabioyo is unattainable and even with him in the defence we still conceded 63 goals and he could do both. Although he wasnt as defensively capable as Lenihan in my opinion.

You DONT KNOW the budget is very limited. So why keep repeating it?

I gave you 2 examples of ball playing centre back we could get in who are good player. Rob Dickie and Matt Clarke. I'm sure there is loads of foriegn options like Chumi from Barcelona B for example. 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I struggle to believe that we can get a good player who can do both well. 

As do I, but I don't think the answer is to say, let's just sign another  no-nonsense centre-half and bollocks to the system we're trying to build. If Mowbray wants to play around with the ball from the back, whether I agree with that philosophy or not, the  we have to be signing players that suit that model, otherwise we're building a bike for a swimming race.

Just now, JoeH said:

As do I, but I don't think the answer is to say, let's just sign another  no-nonsense centre-half and bollocks to the system we're trying to build. If Mowbray wants to play around with the ball from the back, whether I agree with that philosophy or not, the  we have to be signing players that suit that model, otherwise we're building a bike for a swimming race.

That has been my main points in discussions with Roversfan99.

If Mowbray wants to play that style and formation then he needs to sign players who fit that structure, style and formation. No point signing players who dont fit that way. 

I listened to your suggestions Joe on Rovers chat for potential signings in wide forward positions. You made some good suggestions and points. ????

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Very good point made. 

I gave you 2 examples of ball playing centre back we could get in who are good player. Rob Dickie and Matt Clarke. I'm sure there is loads of foriegn options like Chumi from Barcelona B for example. 

Have you ever seen this Chumi play? 

My point is that we must prioritise getting that goals against column down over playing it out from the back. If that means we have to become slightly more pragmatic and compromise on any principles to play out from the back, then so be it. As ever, you are just trying to second guess Mowbray to ensure that he appears to be right.

I am worried that Mowbray will again not adequately fix the goals against column. If he fails to again, then I suspect it may be his last season as Rovers manager, and for the likes of Dack and Armstrong too. 

Just now, JoeH said:

I never said necessarily sign a "no-nonsense" centre back, just that the main priority needs to be to stop conceding so many goals. If Kipre could slot in next to Lenihan for a cut price fee and help us get the goals against column down, as Bauer would have done, then he is perfect.

As we have discussed, it is hardly as if the rest of our team is suited to playing that way anyway. Lenihan is very limited on the ball, and Travis and Evans are decent on the ball without being capable of regularly dictating games, but are much better getting in peoples faces and using their energy.

A more important attribute might be recovery pace. That way, we can press higher up.

If we can sign someone like Adarabioyo, then perfect but I dont think that is possible personally on our budget.

Of course, the fact that Mowbray wants to doesnt mean that we should put our opinions directly in line. After all, he also felt it was the correct idea to sign Brereton and Gallagher for 12m.

I personally think we are best when we are getting in teams faces, pressing high, using our energy and when possible, countering. I dont think its realistic to expect us to dominate games every week. I am not going to start recommending prioritising the ability to play out from the back and having wide strikers just because Mowbray has tried to do that.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

That has been my main points in discussions with Roversfan99.

If Mowbray wants to play that style and formation then he needs to sign players who fit that structure, style and formation. No point signing players who dont fit that way. 

I listened to your suggestions Joe on Rovers chat for potential signings in wide forward positions. You made some good suggestions and points. ????

Wide forwards dont work either. Gallagher and Brereton lumbering down the sides? No thanks. Again, just because Mowbray chooses to play them, doesnt mean we have to endorse and agree with it.

Have your own opinions.

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Very good point made. 

From what I have heard, we need to prepare for players leaving and no new signings until the January/February window.