BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Peterborough United (h) - 24/11/21

And even in Breretons case, we could still get a sizeable fee in the summer with a year left after that.

Also love the fact that Waggott can be blamed for not agreeing new contracts with players when he has publically said that he has offered them as much as we can, therefore the issue clearly is not being given enough in the first place.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Last night the atmosphere was non existent, such a small crowd and you can totally understand it, there is even evidence on here of people not rushing back from work or braving the cold etc when they can watch it from home instead. We were 4 nil up but there were simply not enough people to create a reasonable atmosphere, the decision to televise these games is killing atmospheres.

I don't get why everything has to be spun as a slight on the manager. There is plenty of things that can justifiably be aimed at the manager that he has done wrong, the development of both Wharton and Travis under him are undoubted successes.

Wharton kept being loaned out with many cynical as to whether he would ever make our first team, Mowbray was keen for him to fill out physically as he kept saying, and he said last summer that he had filled out and would now remain with our first team. There is nothing "grudgingly" about his selection, last season he was selected above Ayala at least once and in the last 2 games he could easily have been taken back out for him but he hasnt.

Travis played WITH Smallwood at Sheffield United, you can create hypothetical situations whereby Travis goes out on loan in January and never establishes himself here (everything in life is somewhat down to circumstance) but Travis kept his place not only in those 3 games but permanently going forward, seeing Smallwood (an ex Boro favourite of Mowbray) out in the cold as a result, purely because of Travis' performance.

Really don't understand your non stop defence of the manager. Travis had hardly played for months before making that solitary appearance at Sheff Utd in which Smallwood was sent off and rumours had been circulating in the local press about him going out on loan.

Similarly with Wharton, with the benefit of hindsight, events conspired in our favour. There was no way he was getting a look in without so many injuries. Indeed most  on here were of the view that he had no or little future at the Club without ever having seen him play and wanted him loaned out again or sold. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

BB is a different issue as he would command a sizeable fee, but why on earth would you sell any of Rothwell/Lenihan/Nyambe if sitting in 6th/7th in January? You would get bugger all for them with just four months left on their contracts and you could sabotage our own season and potentially cost the club hundreds of millions!

Exactly.

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

And even in Breretons case, we could still get a sizeable fee in the summer with a year left after that.

Also love the fact that Waggott can be blamed for not agreeing new contracts with players when he has publically said that he has offered them as much as we can, therefore the issue clearly is not being given enough in the first place.

The main problem was SW and TM not recognising and prioritising our main assets and not sorting the situation out at least 18 months ago.

Any efforts now are likely to be akin to shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted although there should be a fair bit more wiggle room now with the sale of Armstrong and the accounting exercise on the STC. The fact nothing has yet happened would again indicate the players won't sign for Waggot or Mowbray or both.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

BB is a different issue as he would command a sizeable fee, but why on earth would you sell any of Rothwell/Lenihan/Nyambe if sitting in 6th/7th in January? You would get bugger all for them with just four months left on their contracts and you could sabotage our own season and potentially cost the club hundreds of millions!

I wouldnt sell them either but if say Rothwell agreed with Rangers in January that he would sign on a free transfer when his contract is up do we think he would be giving 100% the last few months of his deal here or would we be listening to the manager telling us Lenihen, Nyambe and Rothwell have been left out due to their heads not being right?

Like you say we are likely to recieve peanuts if we do cash in on those 3 in January, but keeping them we aint guaranteed they will be busting a gut for us either

24 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Really don't understand your non stop defence of the manager. Travis had hardly played for months before making that solitary appearance at Sheff Utd in which Smallwood was sent off and rumours had been circulating in the local press about him going out on loan.

Similarly with Wharton, with the benefit of hindsight, events conspired in our favour. There was no way he was getting a look in without so many injuries. Indeed most  on here were of the view that he had no or little future at the Club without ever having seen him play and wanted him loaned out again or sold. 

I conversely think that such is your steadfast desire to pin everything on to the manager, that you are implying that even the things that he has done well have happened "grudgingly" or purely through luck and circumstance. You cannot acknowledge that Mowbray has done some things both well and on purpose. Both have been dealt with well by the manager and have progressed as important first team players as a result.

Both players also prove that Mowbray will stick with a young player over experienced alternatives if when they come into the team, they play well.

15 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

The main problem was SW and TM not recognising and prioritising our main assets and not sorting the situation out at least 18 months ago.

Any efforts now are likely to be akin to shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted although there should be a fair bit more wiggle room now with the sale of Armstrong and the accounting exercise on the STC. The fact nothing has yet happened would again indicate the players won't sign for Waggot or Mowbray or both.

You do surprise me. If they all wanted to leave solely because of those 2, which in itself would be bizarre, then no negotiations would have taken place in the first place surely, it would be a case of will you sign for us, they would say no, end of negotiations.

And in your scenario, they wouldn't have signed 18 months ago anyway! 

If these players could have been signed up long term a year or 18 months ago, we still should be able to offer that same wage now, but it seems that Venkys are not keen to invest at the moment.

• Like 3

• Backroom
4 hours ago, Gav said:

Great I say.

You can park closer to the ground, no queue for the pie stand, no queue for shandy and you get away quicker.

Oh yes and the football isn't bad either.

Onwards and upwards.

Bloody softy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Any sales in January would be cutting off our nose to spite our face and put paid to any outside chance of sneaking into the play offs. The squad is paper thin as it is and we really need net additions not losses.

I think we're at the stage where if we can still be where we are now relative to everyone else in January we would be in such an unexpectedly good position we would have to consider rolling the dice by not selling anyone in an attempt to make the play offs this season.

If anyone did go, Lenihan is the one that would probably affect us the least if Wharton and Ayala could stay fit. I think we could also just about cope with the loss of Rothwell. The loss of Brereton would leave us absolutely bereft in attack however and we'll never get another RB at this level as good as Nyambe imo.

Says it all that Waggott has had one job to do in recent months in getting said players signed up and has so far been unable to secure a single one of them. Well worth £300k p.a.

You had me until you said we can’t place Nyambe for a few 100 grand. Because we can.

My feeling is that we absolutely will not get into the playoffs with Mowbray and so I’m not cutting my nose off to spite my face. If I was in charge, I’d be working out right now if these deals were getting signed and if they weren’t then I’d be offering them out to anyone who’d take them. No way can we let players walk out of here who’ve had contracts sat on the table in front of them for months, leave for free and January is last chance saloon. Rothwell is the only one we’d struggle to replace imo.

Our success following any such sales are dependent of course on replacing them but with the signings of Pickering and Edun I’m fairly relaxed that we could replace DL and RN.

BBD is a different prospect. BUT he’s basically played 15 good games in 3yrs. So IF someone wants to pay £25m for him in January then I’d snap their hands off too!!

I’m hoping they all sign new contracts and no one bid for BBD. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Devon Rover said:

Right then. I'm part way back to the West Country and wanted to share a couple of thoughts while I have a coffee in services. Firstly, and please don't crucify me for this but, despite being a Rovers fan since 1992, I have NEVER been to Ewood Park before yesterday. I know. Whilst I do feel embarrassed by this, I have my reasons, which relate to stuff you don't want to hear about my long term health condition and financial struggles, as well as the obvious distance from home. A very recent cancer diagnosis in my family - my uncle who used to take a young me on road trips to watch England - has meant I have decided to start taking opportunities where I can, and not waiting for the 'perfect time' in the future. I drove up on my own yesterday as it was quite an emotional thing for me to be doing and I wanted to soak every minute up.  Obviously the result was great, as was, I think, the overall performance. Hugely impressed by Rothwell, Wharton and Dolan, in particular, but not exclusively.

But the fact this was finally a big 'first' for me (I've been to lots of away matches down South), meant I spent a couple of hours wandering round the stadium before the game, and was just about the last to leave after full-time. This was purely because I wanted to remember every moment of something I had literally dreamed of for many years. And didn't really want it to end - appreciating I can't know when I'll next get to attend.

Anyway, despite the low numbers in the crowd, I realised I had found a "happy place" in Ewood Park, and before the game not just after. I made new friends amongst the season ticket holders sat around me (one couple supplied me with chocolates for the match and for my journey home!) I witnessed one of the greatest talents I have ever seen (the chap in front of me, who surprisingly revealed from his coat pocket at half-time a clearly home-prepared hot pie!) I also realised how beautiful the blue and white halves are under floodlights, just like the moon rising in the clear sky behind the Riverside and the silhouetted trees, just a glance away from a "Rovers 4-0" scoreboard. I took my time visiting Jack Walker's statue and fountain and I chatted with stewards and the shop staff. As I stood in the JWU at the end of the game, I looked around at the then totally empty stands and I realised just how lucky I was that my friend Doug Smith had moved from Blackburn to my street in Taunton in the early 90s and 'recruited' me, with his stories of Rovers legends. And how lucky we all still are that we had Jack. What I saw is still what he built. My love and protectiveness of the club is now only greater. I hope that next time I come it might be possible to meet other Forum members. It might just be that I will be less of a pathetic 'fan-boy' about the whole thing. But I suspect, and hope, not entirely.

And apologies for this spam message. Just wanted to share a view as someone with a particular perspective on what was, on paper, just a cold Wednesday night v Peterborough. But really wasn't. Now, back to the M6/M5...!

Im sure the content is great - just not reading it. 

One word paragraphs!

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

You had me until you said we can’t place Nyambe for a few 100 grand. Because we can.

My feeling is that we absolutely will not get into the playoffs with Mowbray and so I’m not cutting my nose off to spite my face. If I was in charge, I’d be working out right now if these deals were getting signed and if they weren’t then I’d be offering them out to anyone who’d take them. No way can we let players walk out of here who’ve had contracts sat on the table in front of them for months, leave for free and January is last chance saloon. Rothwell is the only one we’d struggle to replace imo.

Our success following any such sales are dependent of course on replacing them but with the signings of Pickering and Edun I’m fairly relaxed that we could replace DL and RN.

BBD is a different prospect. BUT he’s basically played 15 good games in 3yrs. So IF someone wants to pay £25m for him in January then I’d snap their hands off too!!

I’m hoping they all sign new contracts and no one bid for BBD. 

Agree with your last sentence.

Not sure about the rest of your post. Of course we can "replace" anyone. The question is, can we replace them with the same sort of quality? The only one of the 4 I think we possibly could is Lenihan. The other 3 I think to do so you're talking millions in each instance and as RN, JR, and DL are into the last few months of their contracts I don't see anyone offering more than relative buttons for them at this stage.

The other thing you have to bear in mind is if they've got deals lined up as a free agent in summer, we can't force them to leave. I might be wrong but I don't see any significant overall benefit from them leaving in Jan at all.

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

How can Waggott be blamed for any of these players not signing new improve contracts? 

surely thats the player's choice not to sign them

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

My feeling is that we absolutely will not get into the playoffs with Mowbray  

That tends to be my view as well hence why I said in my original post IF we're still where we are now relative to other Clubs in Jan. If we do our usual under Mowbray and hit a death spiral and are seven or eight points outside the play offs by mid Jan then I think the situation is completely different and I'd probably agree with you.

But if everyone is still bunched up in Jan and we're still within touching distance of third you're giving up the chance of a crack at the play offs for what, £1m a player in the cases of RN DL and JR?

How much do you think they'd fetch with 6 months left on their contracts?

6 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Grella was constantly injured and never got going properly. Ayala has had a great start to this season 

The initial point was about games played and you stated Grella managed about 5 total. I pointed out you were wrong and they are at present quite similar, if dragging up and adding in perceived performance makes you feel better, then fine, we all need to massage our egos from time to time when we are proven wrong.

7 hours ago, islander200 said:

He still has 3 assists this season and has generally been playing well.

He can pick a pass better than anyone in the squad and is well worth his place in the team.

3 assists not exactly outstanding for a midfielder in a free flowing team that has scored lots of goals, would you agree with that?

Again,disagree he's well worth his place, that spot for me should be competed for every week and I would like to see him perform alot better consistently.

8 minutes ago, BigBar said:

3 assists not exactly outstanding for a midfielder in a free flowing team that has scored lots of goals, would you agree with that?

Again,disagree he's well worth his place, that spot for me should be competed for every week and I would like to see him perform alot better consistently.

Buckley is joint 2nd with with Dolan and Gallagher with 3 assists with only Rothwell doing better with 6.

We will just have to agree to disagree but imo Buckley has a big future will only get better with more game time like Brererton

45 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Buckley is joint 2nd with with Dolan and Gallagher with 3 assists with only Rothwell doing better with 6.

We will just have to agree to disagree but imo Buckley has a big future will only get better with more game time like Brererton

I imagine he has played more than all of them? Would that be accurate? 

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

He has played rb, right wing back, as part of a 3 in midfield,behind the striker and false 9 so yes you may be correct he has played a lot but not always as an attacking midfielder

Buckley has a lot to learn but in its purest sense, is the best footballer at the club.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, islander200 said:

He has played rb, right wing back, as part of a 3 in midfield,behind the striker and false 9 so yes you may be correct he has played a lot but not always as an attacking midfielder

So more game time than the others you mentioned in comparison and zero goals for Buckley. Gally has 5 goals and Dolan 3 along with the assists you mentioned. You are being very bias and selective but let's agree to disagree as you said.

On 25/11/2021 at 07:34, BigBar said:

Decent ball but let's be honest Pickering done brilliant to bury it. Done agree with the goal involvement part, just padding him out now.

He's been better as I said but is it special mention for anything now? When he is bad he is awful and non existent, when he is good he is ok. 

You say decent ball but let's be fair he looks twice to see where Pickering is and picks out a pinpoint cross/pass to where he will be arriving its a fantastic assist.