BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Peterborough United (h) - 24/11/21

4 hours ago, BigBar said:

Decent ball but let's be honest Pickering done brilliant to bury it. Done agree with the goal involvement part, just padding him out now.

He's been better as I said but is it special mention for anything now? When he is bad he is awful and non existent, when he is good he is ok. 

He still has 3 assists this season and has generally been playing well.

He can pick a pass better than anyone in the squad and is well worth his place in the team.

1 hour ago, CheshireRover said:

According to Infogol:

AA had 189 shots which converted to 28 goals in the league. Interestingly his xG was only 27.74, which indicates an average of 0.14xG per shot.

BBD has so far had 54 shots, which has converted to 16 goals in the league. His xG is 12.49, or 0.23xG per shot.

To me this shows that he is getting shots off from much better positions than AA did, and then scoring them.

I think that much is obvious, he doesn’t take pot shots 4 or 5 times a game like AA did.

At his current trajectory, BBD could hit 38.73 goals this season, which would blow AA out of the water.

To be fair to Armstrong, he was playing in a team that finished 15th. Despite having a gem of a player like Harvey Elliot to support him, last season, the defensive set-up by management was woeful, with Brereton and Gallagher out wide, repeatedly failing to provide protection to the full-backs - as well as well as not providing much width either.

Whilst Brereton wasn't in his current form, a squad with Armstrong, Brereton, Elliot and Gallagher (who I believe to be a solid 10 goal a season striker at this level at least), should have been pushing for the play-offs. 

1 hour ago, CheshireRover said:

According to Infogol:

AA had 189 shots which converted to 28 goals in the league. Interestingly his xG was only 27.74, which indicates an average of 0.14xG per shot.

BBD has so far had 54 shots, which has converted to 16 goals in the league. His xG is 12.49, or 0.23xG per shot.

To me this shows that he is getting shots off from much better positions than AA did, and then scoring them.

I think that much is obvious, he doesn’t take pot shots 4 or 5 times a game like AA did.

At his current trajectory, BBD could hit 38.73 goals this season, which would blow AA out of the water.

To be fair to Armstrong, he was playing in a team that finished 15th. Despite having a gem of a player like Harvey Elliot to support him, last season, the defensive set-up by management was woeful, with Brereton and Gallagher out wide, repeatedly failing to provide protection to the full-backs - as well as well as not providing much width either.

Whilst Brereton wasn't in his current form, a squad with him, Armstrong and Elliot, should have been pushing for the play-offs. 

43 minutes ago, Devon Rover said:

Right then. I'm part way back to the West Country and wanted to share a couple of thoughts while I have a coffee in services. Firstly, and please don't crucify me for this but, despite being a Rovers fan since 1992, I have NEVER been to Ewood Park before yesterday. I know. Whilst I do feel embarrassed by this, I have my reasons, which relate to stuff you don't want to hear about my long term health condition and financial struggles, as well as the obvious distance from home. A very recent cancer diagnosis in my family - my uncle who used to take a young me on road trips to watch England - has meant I have decided to start taking opportunities where I can, and not waiting for the 'perfect time' in the future. I drove up on my own yesterday as it was quite an emotional thing for me to be doing and I wanted to soak every minute up.  Obviously the result was great, as was, I think, the overall performance. Hugely impressed by Rothwell, Wharton and Dolan, in particular, but not exclusively.

But the fact this was finally a big 'first' for me (I've been to lots of away matches down South), meant I spent a couple of hours wandering round the stadium before the game, and was just about the last to leave after full-time. This was purely because I wanted to remember every moment of something I had literally dreamed of for many years. And didn't really want it to end - appreciating I can't know when I'll next get to attend.

Anyway, despite the low numbers in the crowd, I realised I had found a "happy place" in Ewood Park, and before the game not just after. I made new friends amongst the season ticket holders sat around me (one couple supplied me with chocolates for the match and for my journey home!) I witnessed one of the greatest talents I have ever seen (the chap in front of me, who surprisingly revealed from his coat pocket at half-time a clearly home-prepared hot pie!) I also realised how beautiful the blue and white halves are under floodlights, just like the moon rising in the clear sky behind the Riverside and the silhouetted trees, just a glance away from a "Rovers 4-0" scoreboard. I took my time visiting Jack Walker's statue and fountain and I chatted with stewards and the shop staff. As I stood in the JWU at the end of the game, I looked around at the then totally empty stands and I realised just how lucky I was that my friend Doug Smith had moved from Blackburn to my street in Taunton in the early 90s and 'recruited' me, with his stories of Rovers legends. And how lucky we all still are that we had Jack. What I saw is still what he built. My love and protectiveness of the club is now only greater. I hope that next time I come it might be possible to meet other Forum members. It might just be that I will be less of a pathetic 'fan-boy' about the whole thing. But I suspect, and hope, not entirely.

And apologies for this spam message. Just wanted to share a view as someone with a particular perspective on what was, on paper, just a cold Wednesday night v Peterborough. But really wasn't. Now, back to the M6/M5...!

Beautifully written. This is what being a football fan is all about. I am so glad you chose this game and not the previous midweek home game. It was meant to be.

I hope you are able to make further trips to Ewood. Cheers 🍻💙🤍 

• Like 3

Brilliant win against lets be honest an appalling Peterborough side who are a perfect case of a typical promoted team desperate to "stick to its principles" despite all logic and that is a decision that will see them back in League 1 next year. We were hungry to pick up on their regular mistakes and clinical and professional after that.

Mowbray deserves plenty of credit for how we have started the season, exceeding expectations with a thin squad off the back of a summer where he had to rely on filling the numbers up with kids on loan. Our shift in style has been necessary and has shown that the manager is perhaps less stubborn than I initially thought.

Pickering is so much steadier than Edun, Nyambe possibly doesn't suit wing back but he was of course untested but very steady, and Lenihan and Wharton were good making the central 3 seem so much more balanced. Kaminski did well to keep a clean sheet with an important save after a sloppy start to the second half and Ayala clearly does not like working in the cold.

Rothwell was the pick of the midfielders and ran the game, and Buckley was good too with a very good cross for the first goal, Travis was quiet and is in my opinion somewhat shackled by having those 2 more attacking midfielders next to him but he can cope in there. Dolan was full of energy as always and Brereton got 2 more goals, mentions in this chat of comparisons to Armstrong are perhaps premature, the acid test is more or less than 28 goals, if he gets near as you would like to think he will, that is 2 successive seasons in which Mowbray signings have or are racking up outstanding goal tallies.

I thought Butterworth was desperate to impress but he appeared a little too selfish for my liking in a last half hour that was a non entity otherwise.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Brilliant win against lets be honest an appalling Peterborough side who are a perfect case of a typical promoted team desperate to "stick to its principles" despite all logic and that is a decision that will see them back in League 1 next year. We were hungry to pick up on their regular mistakes and clinical and professional after that.

Mowbray deserves plenty of credit for how we have started the season, exceeding expectations with a thin squad off the back of a summer where he had to rely on filling the numbers up with kids on loan. Our shift in style has been necessary and has shown that the manager is perhaps less stubborn than I initially thought.

Pickering is so much steadier than Edun, Nyambe possibly doesn't suit wing back but he was of course untested but very steady, and Lenihan and Wharton were good making the central 3 seem so much more balanced. Kaminski did well to keep a clean sheet with an important save after a sloppy start to the second half and Ayala clearly does not like working in the cold.

Rothwell was the pick of the midfielders and ran the game, and Buckley was good too with a very good cross for the first goal, Travis was quiet and is in my opinion somewhat shackled by having those 2 more attacking midfielders next to him but he can cope in there. Dolan was full of energy as always and Brereton got 2 more goals, mentions in this chat of comparisons to Armstrong are perhaps premature, the acid test is more or less than 28 goals, if he gets near as you would like to think he will, that is 2 successive seasons in which Mowbray signings have or are racking up outstanding goal tallies.

I thought Butterworth was desperate to impress but he appeared a little too selfish for my liking in a last half hour that was a non entity otherwise.

Totally agree with the first part in bold 

Second bit, not so much. I think you can make the judgement now, based off what we have seen. He is a much better all round player and more selfless than Armstrong. A team player. 

Agree about Butterworth. I get he was trying to impress, but he could have done that with his all round play and an assist or 2 , instead of stupid and self indulgent pot shots -we saw enough of them last season from Armstrong 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

1 hour ago, Devon Rover said:

Right then. I'm part way back to the West Country and wanted to share a couple of thoughts while I have a coffee in services. Firstly, and please don't crucify me for this but, despite being a Rovers fan since 1992, I have NEVER been to Ewood Park before yesterday. I know. Whilst I do feel embarrassed by this, I have my reasons, which relate to stuff you don't want to hear about my long term health condition and financial struggles, as well as the obvious distance from home. A very recent cancer diagnosis in my family - my uncle who used to take a young me on road trips to watch England - has meant I have decided to start taking opportunities where I can, and not waiting for the 'perfect time' in the future. I drove up on my own yesterday as it was quite an emotional thing for me to be doing and I wanted to soak every minute up.  Obviously the result was great, as was, I think, the overall performance. Hugely impressed by Rothwell, Wharton and Dolan, in particular, but not exclusively.

But the fact this was finally a big 'first' for me (I've been to lots of away matches down South), meant I spent a couple of hours wandering round the stadium before the game, and was just about the last to leave after full-time. This was purely because I wanted to remember every moment of something I had literally dreamed of for many years. And didn't really want it to end - appreciating I can't know when I'll next get to attend.

Anyway, despite the low numbers in the crowd, I realised I had found a "happy place" in Ewood Park, and before the game not just after. I made new friends amongst the season ticket holders sat around me (one couple supplied me with chocolates for the match and for my journey home!) I witnessed one of the greatest talents I have ever seen (the chap in front of me, who surprisingly revealed from his coat pocket at half-time a clearly home-prepared hot pie!) I also realised how beautiful the blue and white halves are under floodlights, just like the moon rising in the clear sky behind the Riverside and the silhouetted trees, just a glance away from a "Rovers 4-0" scoreboard. I took my time visiting Jack Walker's statue and fountain and I chatted with stewards and the shop staff. As I stood in the JWU at the end of the game, I looked around at the then totally empty stands and I realised just how lucky I was that my friend Doug Smith had moved from Blackburn to my street in Taunton in the early 90s and 'recruited' me, with his stories of Rovers legends. And how lucky we all still are that we had Jack. What I saw is still what he built. My love and protectiveness of the club is now only greater. I hope that next time I come it might be possible to meet other Forum members. It might just be that I will be less of a pathetic 'fan-boy' about the whole thing. But I suspect, and hope, not entirely.

And apologies for this spam message. Just wanted to share a view as someone with a particular perspective on what was, on paper, just a cold Wednesday night v Peterborough. But really wasn't. Now, back to the M6/M5...!

I've been on this website for a while now and i think this is easily one of the best posts i've read on here,everybody should read it and understand you should to never take what you have for granted,for me living so close to the ground less than 10 miles away makes me appreciate the things some people living a long way away go through just to see the team at Ewood..Happy that the visit was what you wanted and more.

• Like 5

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

if he gets near as you would like to think he will, that is 2 successive seasons in which Mowbray signings have or are racking up outstanding goal tallies.

But if we fail to get into the playoffs in both seasons that will also tell a story. Having a regular goalscorer is a key component to success, but as we saw with Bowyer it's only one part of a larger puzzle.

Just want to echo what @Bad Boy, @oldjamfan1 & @Darrenbot have posted. That post nearly moved me to tears, it actually gave me goosebumps.

Superb post my friend & very eloquently written. Hope you can make it back again soon (& bring the same kind of good luck charm!). 👋

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I get ya, but it's great for me 

Last night the atmosphere was non existent, such a small crowd and you can totally understand it, there is even evidence on here of people not rushing back from work or braving the cold etc when they can watch it from home instead. We were 4 nil up but there were simply not enough people to create a reasonable atmosphere, the decision to televise these games is killing atmospheres.

9 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I've been banging the drum about Wharton since we saw him last season but what a player he looks. Thank goodness a severe injury crisis forced Mowbray's hand into grudgingly giving him a chance last season and that he now looks like he could be a mainstay of the side for years to come as opposed to being the new Jack O Connell. Echoes of Smallwood getting himself sent off at Sheff Utd. when we looked poised to send Travis out on loan.

I don't get why everything has to be spun as a slight on the manager. There is plenty of things that can justifiably be aimed at the manager that he has done wrong, the development of both Wharton and Travis under him are undoubted successes.

Wharton kept being loaned out with many cynical as to whether he would ever make our first team, Mowbray was keen for him to fill out physically as he kept saying, and he said last summer that he had filled out and would now remain with our first team. There is nothing "grudgingly" about his selection, last season he was selected above Ayala at least once and in the last 2 games he could easily have been taken back out for him but he hasnt.

Travis played WITH Smallwood at Sheffield United, you can create hypothetical situations whereby Travis goes out on loan in January and never establishes himself here (everything in life is somewhat down to circumstance) but Travis kept his place not only in those 3 games but permanently going forward, seeing Smallwood (an ex Boro favourite of Mowbray) out in the cold as a result, purely because of Travis' performance.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Totally agree with the first part in bold 

Second bit, not so much. I think you can make the judgement now, based off what we have seen. He is a much better all round player and more selfless than Armstrong. A team player. 

Agree about Butterworth. I get he was trying to impress, but he could have done that with his all round play and an assist or 2 , instead of stupid and self indulgent pot shots -we saw enough of them last season from Armstrong 

Brereton has had numerous games this season in which his only real contribution has been getting on the scoresheet. I don't think that there is a disparity between their all round games as you are suggesting, he often mis-times his runs, his clumsiness is still fairly regularly apparent, and I don't think that he is this all round team player constantly helping others, he has only 1 assist in half a season compared to 5 assists by Armstrong last season. Their worth comes from the goals that they score.

I know that you never seemed to particularly warm to Armstrong but he had a phenomenal personal season last season getting one of the highest goal tallies in Championship (since its rebrand) and if Brereton gets the same or a similar goal tally, then he will have had a similarly brilliant season.

I think that part of the general esteem that he is held in compared to Armstrong comes from the back story, the first 2 years, the Chile call up and also how he seems as a person, a bit aloof.

As I stood in the JWU at the end of the game, I looked around at the then totally empty stands and I realised just how lucky I was that my friend Doug Smith had moved from Blackburn to my street in Taunton in the early 90s and 'recruited' me, with his stories of Rovers legends. And how lucky we all still are that we had Jack. What I saw is still what he built. My love and protectiveness of the club is now only greater. I hope that next time I come it might be possible to meet other Forum members. It might just be that I will be less of a pathetic 'fan-boy' about the whole thing. But I suspect, and hope, not entirely.

Fantastic post DR. I grew up near there (Chard - don't judge me!) and still visit Taunton often for the cricket and to see friends (am based just outside of Bristol). Hopefully we can catch up for a game at some point, even if on TV.

I recently welcomed Rovers' newest fan to the world which is why I haven't been on here much. She is proving to be some good luck charm - she missed the Fulham hiding by 3 hours and hasn't had to suffer the pain of a Rovers loss in her lifetime yet!! Long may it continue with results and performances like last night.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 7

27 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Brereton has had numerous games this season in which his only real contribution has been getting on the scoresheet. I don't think that there is a disparity between their all round games as you are suggesting, he often mis-times his runs, his clumsiness is still fairly regularly apparent, and I don't think that he is this all round team player constantly helping others, he has only 1 assist in half a season compared to 5 assists by Armstrong last season. Their worth comes from the goals that they score.

I know that you never seemed to particularly warm to Armstrong but he had a phenomenal personal season last season getting one of the highest goal tallies in Championship (since its rebrand) and if Brereton gets the same or a similar goal tally, then he will have had a similarly brilliant season.

I think that part of the general esteem that he is held in compared to Armstrong comes from the back story, the first 2 years, the Chile call up and also how he seems as a person, a bit aloof.

Armstrong was like that pretty much every game. You go straight to focus on assists, but you don't need to , we can see with our eyes Brereton works harder for the team, closing down and harrying than Armstrong did.

Clumsiness still regularly apparent? Oh come off it 😂 Aloof? What? I would say he comes across as the opposite of aloof. Armstrong was aloof. 

Brereton looks a far more rounded and selfless player whether he scores 28 or not

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Armstrong was like that pretty much every game. You go straight to focus on assists, but you don't need to , we can see with our eyes Brereton works harder for the team, closing down and harrying than Armstrong did.

Clumsiness still regularly apparent? Oh come off it 😂 Aloof? What? I would say he comes across as the opposite of aloof. Armstrong was aloof. 

Brereton looks a far more rounded and selfless player whether he scores 28 or not

Like I said, I dont think that there is as much in it as you make out in regards to their general all round game, as I said, many games this season have seen Brereton score and do basically nothing else, in the last 2 games hes done very little aside from score but when you score goals at the rate that he is doing then hes very much going above and beyond to earn his money because there is a reason that goalscorers are worth the most money, its the hardest thing to score a goal and Brereton is banging them in. Its down to personal opinion anyway, I know you was never Armstrongs biggest fan which is fair enough so happy to agree to disagree on the difference between their all round game.

Yes, Brereton is a clumsy, awkward, ungainly player, quite unconventinal is perhaps the best way of describing his style. When things arent going for him especially in his first 2 years it makes it all look worse. He very much uses his style to his advantage now, he isnt graceful or elegant but he takes some stopping when he starts running at defenders.

By aloof I meant the way that his character is portrayed off the pitch, he seems to thrive as a bit of a class clown from the snippets we see, and ssems like a genuinely likeable guy. You throw in 2 years where he looked lost, and a total turnaround in fortunes throwing in the unique Chile fairytale too and its impossible not to be made up for him.

27 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Fantastic post DR. I grew up near there (Chard - don't judge me!) and still visit Taunton often for the cricket and to see friends (am based just outside of Bristol). Hopefully we can catch up for a game at some point, even if on TV.

Bournemouth in two weeks surely lads?

To be honest if BBD only touches the ball 10-15 times during a game and bags a couple of goals that is all that really matters as long as the defence hold up!

But what we see at the moment is an all round game player, runs to the death, has speed. His touch is far better and he can take on players added to the fact he knows where the back of the net is! Long may it continue and good luck to those supporters who lumped money on him pre season, enjoy spending that cash😃

The thing I want to see now is for Gally to take stock and improve on his own game, his touch and his goal scoring record. Imagine what it might be like if he can get rid of the niggly injuries and begin to bang a few more goals in alongside the threat of BBD, TD and Khadra. Now that could be mouthwatering if it comes off.

5 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

As things stand I think we’re a striker and now a winger short following Poveda’s injury. But that wish list will likely increase to cover any further sales or serious injuries.

FWIW I can see two of RN, DL, JR & BBD being sold this January. Dependant on which combination will decide our budget.

I also like the 343. JRC (rwb) and Dack (false 9 where Buckley started last night) are perfect for it. Buckley could then drop deeper next to Trav if Rothwell went?

Any sales in January would be cutting off our nose to spite our face and put paid to any outside chance of sneaking into the play offs. The squad is paper thin as it is and we really need net additions not losses.

I think we're at the stage where if we can still be where we are now relative to everyone else in January we would be in such an unexpectedly good position we would have to consider rolling the dice by not selling anyone in an attempt to make the play offs this season.

If anyone did go, Lenihan is the one that would probably affect us the least if Wharton and Ayala could stay fit. I think we could also just about cope with the loss of Rothwell. The loss of Brereton would leave us absolutely bereft in attack however and we'll never get another RB at this level as good as Nyambe imo.

Says it all that Waggott has had one job to do in recent months in getting said players signed up and has so far been unable to secure a single one of them. Well worth £300k p.a.

• Like 2

BB is a different issue as he would command a sizeable fee, but why on earth would you sell any of Rothwell/Lenihan/Nyambe if sitting in 6th/7th in January? You would get bugger all for them with just four months left on their contracts and you could sabotage our own season and potentially cost the club hundreds of millions!

• Like 3