BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Dingles

24 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

They’re no mugs this season. Like lots of teams in this league. They’re hard working and physical. The only easy games are the game you make easy. Not many clubs will go there and win.

We go there on Saturday, I’d take a 1-1 now.

Yep they were big and physical - bit well drilled, executed their game plan well, deserved their point. We’ve got Sunderland away Saturday, they looked decent against you so a point away would be a good result - but we kind of need the three to stay in touch.

Just now, longsiders1882 said:

Yep they were big and physical - bit well drilled, executed their game plan well, deserved their point. We’ve got Sunderland away Saturday, they looked decent against you so a point away would be a good result - but we kind of need the three to stay in touch.

There are no easy beats this time. 

After some of the stick Burnley fans were handing out last night I can't help but gloat, not because we're above them but how confident they were about beating Brum at home.

"We'll be above them tomorrow." "Just keeping it warm for us for 24 hours."

Football has a way of biting you in the arse doesn't it. Probably our turn at the weekend but I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Teehee!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Still very much of the opinion that Burnley is a game that suits us. We have every chance of beating them in a few weeks. Much more confident than the years where they had Dyche.

It depends on which team turns up. Sounds the same for Burnley.

Shit one match, brilliant the next. Sometimes Rovers are a different team each half!

7 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

They’re no mugs this season. Like lots of teams in this league. They’re hard working and physical. The only easy games are the game you make easy. Not many clubs will go there and win.

We go there on Saturday, I’d take a 1-1 now.

They're coming to us - we're not going there. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JoeH said:

Still very much of the opinion that Burnley is a game that suits us. We have every chance of beating them in a few weeks. Much more confident than the years where they had Dyche.

I agree that their style suits us, all things being equal. Equally I worry about our ability to respond to conceding the first goal against a team like that. I wouldn't say I'm more confident than our last fixtures against them (cup game aside) purely because I think the gap between the squads is arguably quite a lot bigger now, but the clash of styles is definitely intriguing. 

54 minutes ago, smiller14 said:

Dingledome tickets secured! Hope people aren't too precious about sitting in the allocated seat, as will be meeting mates buying in phase 2/3.

Simple for me, in a full away end sit in allocated seats to avoid absolute carnage. In half empty away end sit where you want.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I agree that their style suits us, all things being equal. Equally I worry about our ability to respond to conceding the first goal against a team like that. I wouldn't say I'm more confident than our last fixtures against them (cup game aside) purely because I think the gap between the squads is arguably quite a lot bigger now, but the clash of styles is definitely intriguing. 

Nothing I've seen in your games suggests the gap between squads is greater tIMO - and I thought JDT wanted to play a similar style to Kompany, possesion based etc? So far this season the teams who have been most effective against us have gone for a high press, really disrupted our passing and building from the back, not letting us get a rhythm. After this it's been those with more a low block, 5 at the back etc and challenged us to open them up. Our game comes at the end of a gruelling schedule so it might come down to which side has the freshest players though, least injuries, suspensions etc  We both do have a week to prepare though. I think any result is eminiently possible.

37 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

We are infinitely stronger than the last time we played them just after we got relegated. That would have been a great time to batter us, we’d a bloody awful team out that night and they had a good side on the night. As it was we only lost 2-0 in a reasonably close game. It should really have been a banging for us.

The clash of styles will be interesting. We always seem to do better when we let the opposition have all the ball and hit them on the break with more direct play. When we have all the ball we don’t know what to do with it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

Nothing I've seen in your games suggests the gap between squads is greater tIMO - and I thought JDT wanted to play a similar style to Kompany, possesion based etc? So far this season the teams who have been most effective against us have gone for a high press, really disrupted our passing and building from the back, not letting us get a rhythm. After this it's been those with more a low block, 5 at the back etc and challenged us to open them up. Our game comes at the end of a gruelling schedule so it might come down to which side has the freshest players though, least injuries, suspensions etc  We both do have a week to prepare though. I think any result is eminiently possible.

Mixed signals on that front. We're consistently playing out from the back in every game, and one or two of our worst performances (Wigan away especially) involved us having a lot of the ball and doing nothing with it.

That said, he has talked about avoiding the Dutch disease of having the ball for its own sake, and lots of the players have spoken about how he is encouraging them to take as few touches as possible before getting the ball forward. Some evidence of the message getting through on that score. We've also been happy to let some teams have more of the ball and set traps for them. The 3-0 win away at Swansea was probably the best example of that. We press reasonably high - but not as much as some teams. Basically at Turf Moor, there isn't a cat in hell's chance that we'll try and go toe-to-toe with a possession game. We'll not just be long ball either, but we'll look for Brereton to exploit space on the break.

I think you're completely right about the unpredictability element though. Either side could easily win by a couple of goals and it wouldn't shock me in the slightest. Our schedule isn't quite as bad as some given that we've already played an game extra. Personally I'd play the full second string in the cup away at West Ham. That leaves just one more midweek game for us before the derby, so hopefully not too bad. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We are infinitely stronger than the last time we played them just after we got relegated. That would have been a great time to batter us, we’d a bloody awful team out that night and they had a good side on the night. As it was we only lost 2-0 in a reasonably close game. It should really have been a banging for us.

The clash of styles will be interesting. We always seem to do better when we let the opposition have all the ball and hit them on the break with more direct play. When we have all the ball we don’t know what to do with it. 

Miles stronger than then - I was thinking more about the league games when we were both in the Championship. I'm not sure if Burnley are necessarily that much stronger than they were then (maybe they are in some aspects but lack the solidity they had). But we had some good individuals throughout the Bowyer years, so arguably we've gone backwards.

Then again I don't think we had anyone as good as Brereton, and least Hyam and Kaminski get into Bowyer/Lambert's teams, so maybe I'm overdoing the difference.

1 hour ago, Songman said:

Simple for me, in a full away end sit in allocated seats to avoid absolute carnage. In half empty away end sit where you want.

Usually the same - I might just try and squeeze in with my brother - will only be me so not too many in the 'wrong' seat. Not too fussed as long as I'm there! 

1 hour ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Miles stronger than then - I was thinking more about the league games when we were both in the Championship. I'm not sure if Burnley are necessarily that much stronger than they were then (maybe they are in some aspects but lack the solidity they had). But we had some good individuals throughout the Bowyer years, so arguably we've gone backwards.

Then again I don't think we had anyone as good as Brereton, and least Hyam and Kaminski get into Bowyer/Lambert's teams, so maybe I'm overdoing the difference.

I usually look at it like this - how many Burnley players would get in our team ? At the moment I can’t do that because I’ve hardly seen any of them play. However if Kaminski, Brittain, Ayala if fit, Hyam, Brererton  and maybe Hedges on this season’s form can’t get in their team they must have some good players.

Like most games midfield will be critical, can our teenage midfield group rise to the occasion ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's so dependent on Brereton though. We really will miss him if/when he goes.

1 hour ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Mixed signals on that front. We're consistently playing out from the back in every game, and one or two of our worst performances (Wigan away especially) involved us having a lot of the ball and doing nothing with it.

That said, he has talked about avoiding the Dutch disease of having the ball for its own sake, and lots of the players have spoken about how he is encouraging them to take as few touches as possible before getting the ball forward. Some evidence of the message getting through on that score. We've also been happy to let some teams have more of the ball and set traps for them. The 3-0 win away at Swansea was probably the best example of that. We press reasonably high - but not as much as some teams. Basically at Turf Moor, there isn't a cat in hell's chance that we'll try and go toe-to-toe with a possession game. We'll not just be long ball either, but we'll look for Brereton to exploit space on the break.

I think you're completely right about the unpredictability element though. Either side could easily win by a couple of goals and it wouldn't shock me in the slightest. Our schedule isn't quite as bad as some given that we've already played an game extra. Personally I'd play the full second string in the cup away at West Ham. That leaves just one more midweek game for us before the derby, so hopefully not too bad. 

Including the game against you and the cup game we have 7 games in 3 weeks from Saturday, 3 of them mid week kick offs.  It's quite a schedule and will test our squad to the limit.

15 minutes ago, smiller14 said:

That 2015/2016 season was a weird one - we actually played well in both derby games, despite the season itself being largely miserable. Tom Lawrence hasn't yet been forgiven for nearly clearing the Darwen End with that sitter. 

Or the referee for blowing to give Rovers a penalty with the last kick of the away game only to shit himself and blow for full time instead.

3 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

Including the game against you and the cup game we have 7 games in 3 weeks from Saturday, 3 of them mid week kick offs.  It's quite a schedule and will test our squad to the limit.

True. The last one of those is against Crawley in the cup though. It wouldn't surprise me if you make wholesale changes for that one and get the full week of prep in for the game against us. I just hope we do the same!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

That’s the thing about this division, it’s a real slog with two games a week coming regularly. It’s a marathon.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I usually look at it like this - how many Burnley players would get in our team ? At the moment I can’t do that because I’ve hardly seen any of them play. However if Kaminski, Brittain, Ayala if fit, Hyam, Brererton  and maybe Hedges on this season’s form can’t get in their team they must have some good players.

Like most games midfield will be critical, can our teenage midfield group rise to the occasion ?

It's the local midfield lads I'm pinning my hopes on. I'm hoping the Wharton's, Buckley and Travis and all those other  young lads who have grown up around the club, let the others know in no uncertain terms what is at stake. 

• Like 2