BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Dingles

23 minutes ago, USABlue said:

Yeah, your opinion on the Dingles and being at the bottom end surprised me.  You are not usually so far off.

Yes I was wrong on this case

17 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

Ahh but you will notice he said "so far". He's still expecting a collapse and a relegation.

I don't think you get relegation, but I do feel that the 5 weeks gap in the fixtures could be good for some clubs or bad for some. It's something we never faced in my lifetime. I am annoyed by the world cup being in November and it's another mess from FIFA! 

I can see the gap benefitting them as much as anyone. They're also a team who are adapting to a new style of play, and who might benefit from more time on the training pitch.

Then again, it might weirdly derail their momentum at this rate! 11 games unbeaten - the last thing they need is a break (although still a good amount of games between now and then for that to change). 

2 minutes ago, smiller14 said:

I can see the gap benefitting them as much as anyone. They're also a team who are adapting to a new style of play, and who might benefit from more time on the training pitch.

Then again, it might weirdly derail their momentum at this rate! 11 games unbeaten - the last thing they need is a break (although still a good amount of games between now and then for that to change). 

8 Games between now and then (including cup game) - including against you, Sheff Utd , Reading and Norwich, so that is 4 of the other 5 who make up the current top 6. A good chance come the break we are out of the top 6 and in desperate need of the time off to regroup.

3 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

8 Games between now and then (including cup game) - including against you, Sheff Utd , Reading and Norwich, so that is 4 of the other 5 who make up the current top 6. A good chance come the break we are out of the top 6 and in desperate need of the time off to regroup.

Very pessimistic..... also a good chance you are entrenched within the top 6 and in the top 2 (although I prefer your scenario 🤭)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smiller14 said:

Very pessimistic..... also a good chance you are entrenched within the top 6 and in the top 2 (although I prefer your scenario 🤭)

I found pessimism is the only defence in football because it really is the hope that kills you - but fair point, we could smash our way through the next 7 league games. As much as I'd love to let myself believe that I know we have really tough games coming. WBA went to toe to toe and really deserved to beat us, easily the better team on the night, so I take nothing for granted. 

8 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

I found pessimism is the only defence in football because it really is the hope that kills you - but fair point, we could smash our way through the next 7 league games. As much as I'd love to let myself believe that I know we have really tough games coming. WBA went to toe to toe and really deserved to beat us, easily the better team on the night, so I take nothing for granted. 

By all accounts, West Brom have statistically (yawn I know!) played quite well and been on top in lots of games. Seems they've been hampered by a combination of poor finishing and a keeper who can't keep them out at the other end. Although apparently performances dipped considerably towards the end of Bruce's reign as well.

It's a funny league, but I'd be surprised if you're not in the top 6 by the break. That break will have a lot of newish managers trying to implement their styles after the latest spate in sackings, so a lot of teams could be playing more in their manager's desired way come late December (which might be to their benefit or detriment). Given Burnley's decent form and huge style shift, it's hard not to put them down as a beneficiary of such a break (and we should be the same!). Will be a horrible break for whoever gets beat 🙃

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, smiller14 said:

By all accounts, West Brom have statistically (yawn I know!) played quite well and been on top in lots of games. Seems they've been hampered by a combination of poor finishing and a keeper who can't keep them out at the other end. Although apparently performances dipped considerably towards the end of Bruce's reign as well.

It's a funny league, but I'd be surprised if you're not in the top 6 by the break. That break will have a lot of newish managers trying to implement their styles after the latest spate in sackings, so a lot of teams could be playing more in their manager's desired way come late December (which might be to their benefit or detriment). Given Burnley's decent form and huge style shift, it's hard not to put them down as a beneficiary of such a break (and we should be the same!). Will be a horrible break for whoever gets beat 🙃

Or a frustrating draw 🤷‍♂️

On 16/10/2022 at 18:30, longsiders1882 said:

But we never expected to be run away leaders - most fans I know are more than a touch surprised we are top 6 at this point. 

As for Twine - hopefully we see him post World Cup as well as Churlinov and Westwood. Probably need to add a striker in January if we can unless this lad we’ve got on loan from Brentford gets fit and can  step up.

I'm not surprised. I predicted months ago somewhere on the messageboard (maybe this thread, can't remember) you'd be easy top 6.

It's not a strong division and the fact a misfiring team like Rovers are within reach of the top shows there's a lack of quality. Should be an interesting encounter at the Turf next month!!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, arbitro said:

It doesn't appear that they have the same Human Rights in Wales as we do. For Cardiff fans it's compulsory coach travel aka the bubble.

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/away-days-ticket-news-swansea-city-vs-cardiff-city-0

That was mentioned at the Fans Forum last Monday when we had Rovers' Police Liaison Officer along to talk about the plans for our games. The Swansea - Cardiff game is now the only game with the bubble operating. Lancs Police clearly wanted to avoid a bubble if at all possible and they also had an issue with having a bubble for our game and not for the Preston - Blackpool game.

47 minutes ago, only2garners said:

That was mentioned at the Fans Forum last Monday when we had Rovers' Police Liaison Officer along to talk about the plans for our games. The Swansea - Cardiff game is now the only game with the bubble operating. Lancs Police clearly wanted to avoid a bubble if at all possible and they also had an issue with having a bubble for our game and not for the Preston - Blackpool game.

I might be wrong but I don't believe that Preston v Blackpool has ever been a bubble match. I was highlighting a significant difference as we have heard human rights and civil liberties as a reason to not bubble our matches but South Wales Police are doing a bubble with strict criteria.

7 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I might be wrong but I don't believe that Preston v Blackpool has ever been a bubble match. I was highlighting a significant difference as we have heard human rights and civil liberties as a reason to not bubble our matches but South Wales Police are doing a bubble with strict criteria.

No I don't think it has, but then they haven't played each other for years and I imagine that game didn't happen in the years when we were having bubble games with Burnley. You're right that Lancs Police quoted ECHR as a reason why they should not do bubble games but I guess that is an interpretation by them than any type of central dictat.

I'd say the Welsh game has potential for more wide spread serious disorder than our derby these days.   Some serious loons attached to both those clubs who also happen to be based in far bigger cities in the arse end of Wales.

46 minutes ago, only2garners said:

No I don't think it has, but then they haven't played each other for years and I imagine that game didn't happen in the years when we were having bubble games with Burnley. You're right that Lancs Police quoted ECHR as a reason why they should not do bubble games but I guess that is an interpretation by them than any type of central dictat.

Didn't they play each other last season ?

Edited by rigger

Still very much of the opinion that Burnley is a game that suits us. We have every chance of beating them in a few weeks. Much more confident than the years where they had Dyche.

30 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

Well we are as poor tonight as we were good on Saturday. Fair play to Birmingham who adopted the high press and we couldn’t cope with it.

They’re no mugs this season. Like lots of teams in this league. They’re hard working and physical. The only easy games are the game you make easy. Not many clubs will go there and win.

We go there on Saturday, I’d take a 1-1 now.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

They’re no mugs this season. Like lots of teams in this league. They’re hard working and physical. The only easy games are the game you make easy. Not many clubs will go there and win.

We go there on Saturday, I’d take a 1-1 now.

I would go to St Andrew’s if I were you Tyrone - we’re at home.

• Like 3