BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Dingles

19 minutes ago, Displaced Rover said:

They do unfortunately seem like one of the best sides the Championship has had for a few years - still that's what happens when you spend essentially more than the rest of the league combined on transfer fees (let's not get into the bollocks that is "but what about net spend!!!").

Having two teams worth of players helps as well. They all need paying. It’s all about money.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

2 hours ago, Displaced Rover said:

They do unfortunately seem like one of the best sides the Championship has had for a few years - still that's what happens when you spend essentially more than the rest of the league combined on transfer fees (let's not get into the bollocks that is "but what about net spend!!!").

I saw some figures the other day on what various teams had spent historically in a single season, many spent more than us for finishing in the lower reaches. Money is an important part of the mix but so is management, coaching and recruitment. 

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Having two teams worth of players helps as well. They all need paying. It’s all about money.

See above. Lest we forget Watford and Norwich came down, same terms as us, kept most of their squads together and, so far at least, have had disappointing seasons. WBA borrowed 20 million to maintain their expenditure level, again pretty average season.

For the record, to me at least, you have to break 100 points to be one of the Championships best ever. I still doubt we will reach that. 

Still, we are no Fulham eh 😉

28 minutes ago, philipl said:

Strong rumours in South London Palace are about to pot Viera and appoint Kompany.

Seems very unlikely to me but there you go.

3 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

No chance. They're not a bigger club and they're in danger of passing each other in the leagues.

The London pull opens up the player pool though.

IKompany is clearly someone who is very ambitious and will have a clear career plan. I would imagine Palace would look like a good next step - I just think (hope?) it’s a season and a bit too early for Kompany.

11 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

IKompany is clearly someone who is very ambitious and will have a clear career plan. I would imagine Palace would look like a good next step - I just think (hope?) it’s a season and a bit too early for Kompany.

I suspect that he'll stay with Burnley until at least the end of next season to prove that he can manage at the top level. If he left having just taken us up, people may well say what some have said on these august pages, it was the money, we had loan players, poor quality Championship this year etc ..

If he keeps us up comfortably, then would he really go to a Palace, Brentford, Wolves " type " of Club ? I could see the appeal of a Tottenham or Newcastle, but I suspect he may wait for the City post to become vacant .... when I suspect if his stock is still high, he'll be a shoe-in !!

23 hours ago, superniko said:

At least it’s looking like it’ll all be done and dusted before they play us. 

I hope so because I can couldn't face them winning the Championship at Ewood. I remember the terrible scenes when Man City either won the league or secured promotion at Ewood. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ianrally said:

I hope so because I can couldn't face them winning the Championship at Ewood. I remember the terrible scenes when Man City either won the league or secured promotion at Ewood. 

I too hope it's all confirmed by then, it would take a " Devon Loch " type collapse in form from us, and a tremendous run of form from two other Clubs for it not to be the case though ...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, longsiders1882 said:

I agree with the first part of your second paragraph, @longsiders1882 .

However, I can't see him going to Palace; I'm sure I read before he got the Turf Moor job that Mrs. K's a north-west girl (Manchistoh?) and she wanted the family to come back to this part of the world.

And if, at some time in the future, he wanted to manage Belgium, I'm sure he could live in this part of the world and do that. Didn't Martinez?

• Like 1

Palace are at Arsenal on Sunday who will be stinging about that Europa exit last night. Some freak results at the bottom on Saturday could make the bottom of the PL table look horrible for the board at Selhurst.

By the way, I am not expecting Burnley to beat Manchester City but won't be surprised if Guardiola over thinks the game and give the dingles a chance. Fully expect it to be a narrow margin and City to know they have been in a game.

The dingles keeper is likely to be the weak point.

18 hours ago, Displaced Rover said:

Yeah I have to agree with that. I saw on the Reading's fan forum that they have a thread called 'record watch' and basically they are quaking at their boots that Burnley may take their record points total for the championship. Not an exact quote but they have been saying that Rovers are their only hope of stopping it. Not all heroes  wear capes I guess.

Edited by Cuppliance
Edit - iPhone auto correct for quaking
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Cuppliance said:

Yeah I have to agree with that. I saw on the Reading's fan forum that they have a thread called 'record watch' and basically they are quaking at their boots that Burnley may take their record points total for the championship. Not an exact quote but they have been saying that Rovers are their only hope of stopping it. Not all heroes  wear capes I guess.

To beat their record we have to win 8 of our last nine, including an Easter double header against Sheff United and Boro as well as the derby against you. It’s just too big an ask. I’d settle for 100 (which I also think we will fall short of, need 6 from 9) and become only the sixth team to get 100 plus. I don’t think that Reading season gets the credit it deserves. 106 points is phenomenal.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

What else is there to talk about regarding Burnley other than the football ? 

That there is an actual law banning the reverse cowgirl position due to the fact you should never turn your back on family 

• Like 6