BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

6 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

I'm not too sure wingback is his natural position tbh, in the times i've seen him, he goes looking for the ball

Are you sure you ain't talking about Styles?Brittain roams a bit but I wouldn't say too drastic.

Styles Is the one id really love

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Seen him a number of times and imo better all round player than Nyambe altho 1 v 1 Nyambe wins. 

If the deal happens the most pleasing aspect will be us paying a transfer fee as many on here thought it would be loans only.Would'nt you agree?

I was surprised to see 0 goals and 8 assists in 76 games for predominantly a wing back noted for his attacking ability. Not that stats are the be all and end all.

I also found the comments about his character last season to be concerning. Perhaps a fresh start will be key, but he seemed to get a lot of criticism for his role in the decline at Barnsley last season.

How often exactly do you think you have seen him, do you have ties to Barnsley? Is he competent defensively even if he isn't like Nyambe.

It would be a fairly modest fee so it would be very much only a small start if Tomasson is to be backed with a decent chunk of the inevitable Brereton money. We did sign Edun last season for presumably about half of any potential Brittain fee so I would expect more buys/money spent to be in any way satisfied. But as mentioned, he is a decent age (same as Nyambe) so it could if it happens and subsequently works out fill that role for a while. Ideally we could do with some competition there but I suspect that won't happen.

3 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Twitter tells a slightly similar story.

Very 50/50, albeit the 50% happy to let him go do seem to be ones claiming he downed tools last year and still looked disinterested (he still outperformed Nyambe in every aspect individually bar ground duels success % where Nyambe was 3% better than him).

I watch a lot of football and he's very direct, takes his man on a lot, and whips a lot of crosses in but does need to work on the end product. He's an upgrade on Nyambe for my money, but I never did rate Ryan as a modern fullback. He was a wide CB for most of his time here as he offered nothing going forwards and the modern day fullback needs to offer an outlet.

I'll stand to be corrected but this is a deal we shouldn't even think twice about doing.

I don't think those sorts of stats are particularly relevant to compare to be honest. Brittain was in a side that went down whereas Nyambe was at a team that finished 8th, the former will always make more clearances, interceptions and tackles per game. Both were in totally different teams so even % stats are not directly comparable, especially if they played different roles in different tactics, their duels etc would be in different places etc.

Building a back line with permanent players is where every competent manager/head coach lays his foundations.

Mowbray did everything arse about face.

Next season could see an entire back line of our own players which gives us something to build on for the future. 

• Like 5

Apparently we looked at him in January… might have failed Mowbray’s “Human Being Test” judging by some of those comments.

Definitely the position that needs addressing most urgently. Not getting carried away til it’s confirmed though.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

We had the lowest possession in the league.

That doesn't mean the opposition had it in advanced areas a lot.

Anyway it was 4th lowest, and Barnsley had 5th lowest, according to this: https://www.fotmob.com/leagues/48/stats/season/16391/teams/possession_percentage_team

23 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Brittain has played just 18 games in the Championship

20 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

That's not true Jim.

Quite right, Mellor. He's played 17 league games and 1 cup game.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Building a back line with permanent players is where every competent manager/head coach lays his foundations.

Mowbray did everything arse about face.

Next season could see an entire back line of our own players which gives us something to build on for the future. 

We repeatedly signed loans due to small transfer budgets, last season a perfect example despite the Armstrong sale.

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I was surprised to see 0 goals and 8 assists in 76 games for predominantly a wing back noted for his attacking ability. Not that stats are the be all and end all.

I also found the comments about his character last season to be concerning. Perhaps a fresh start will be key, but he seemed to get a lot of criticism for his role in the decline at Barnsley last season.

How often exactly do you think you have seen him, do you have ties to Barnsley? Is he competent defensively even if he isn't like Nyambe.

It would be a fairly modest fee so it would be very much only a small start if Tomasson is to be backed with a decent chunk of the inevitable Brereton money. We did sign Edun last season for presumably about half of any potential Brittain fee so I would expect more buys/money spent to be in any way satisfied. But as mentioned, he is a decent age (same as Nyambe) so it could if it happens and subsequently works out fill that role for a while. Ideally we could do with some competition there but I suspect that won't happen.

I don't think those sorts of stats are particularly relevant to compare to be honest. Brittain was in a side that went down whereas Nyambe was at a team that finished 8th, the former will always make more clearances, interceptions and tackles per game. Both were in totally different teams so even % stats are not directly comparable, especially if they played different roles in different tactics, their duels etc would be in different places etc.

Brother in law a Barnsley fan so yeah seen quite a bit of them , Iv been with him to 5 games live  over the last couple of seasons and make a point of watching them on the box. 

Yeah he is decent defensively but offensively he will be an upgrade on Nyambe.His assist record nothing spectacular but he gets involved and has had plenty of goal involvements.

Iv said already I liked Nyambe and was disappointed to lose him but if we are moving to a more possession type style that JDT has hinted at then Brittain would be more suitable than Nyambe.Technically he is decent,he can keep the ball moving and he is good taking players on.

If the fee is £1.5 million as suggested then I think it's an extremely good deal.

Also think more money will be spent 

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, bazza said:

Quite right, Mellor. He's played 17 league games and 1 cup game.

Also not true. He’s played 76 times in the championship.

6 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Brother in law a Barnsley fan so yeah seen quite a bit of them , Iv been with him to 5 games live  over the last couple of seasons and make a point of watching them on the box. 

Yeah he is decent defensively but offensively he will be an upgrade on Nyambe.His assist record nothing spectacular but he gets involved and has had plenty of goal involvements.

Iv said already I liked Nyambe and was disappointed to lose him but if we are moving to a more possession type style that JDT has hinted at then Brittain would be more suitable than Nyambe.Technically he is decent,he can keep the ball moving and he is good taking players on.

If the fee is £1.5 million as suggested then I think it's an extremely good deal.

Also think more money will be spent 

Let's hope so, and as soon as possible. We certainly need plenty of reinforcements.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We repeatedly signed loans due to small transfer budgets, last season a perfect example despite the Armstrong sale.

Whilst there is some truth in that lets also not rewrite history to suit defense of the former manager.

He spent 15 million on forwards in a relatively short space of time and not a bean on defenders as i recall.  I'm not having a long drawn out debate going over old ground but his lack of defensive buys led to hiw own famous quote 'defenders are coming'.

He'd been here several years at that point and signed a raft of the players. The biggest problem was he'd hampered himself and the team by extending contracts of his league one side.

These are just plain facts.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

A big worry is the consistent assertion that he down tools last season when the chips were down, numerous questions and comments making out that he isn't a good man to be next to stood in the trenches.

I get what you’re saying here but this could be taken as ramblings of a bitter fanbase because they got relegated and he’s leaving.

Brittain would be a top signing if we can get it done. Him and Styles the standout players whenever I’ve seen them play,, and Brittain the most impressive of the lot. From what I’ve seen, far and away a better player than Nyambe - Get it done,, plus Styles and Cb and we’re cooking!!

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, Paul Mani said:

Brittain would be aa top signing high we can get it done. Him and Styles the 

standout players whenever I’ve. See them platt land Brittain the most impressive of the lot. From what I’ve seen, Chari and gassy better than Nyambe - Get it done,, plus Sttyles and Cb Cand we’re cooking!!

Been on the happy juice Paul?