BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

4 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Tbh slightly disappointing the Head of Recruitment has to wait until next month to arrive (which is vague...start of the month, end of the month?). We couldn't agree a compo package for a few weeks' wages? Would think the Welsh FA are in no rush with 'recruitment', meanwhile we are in the middle of a pivotal transfer window. It's already a bit late in the day to sort out our HoR, let alone it taking even longer. Then again, perhaps that's it - too late for him to have much impact so just let him start preparing for the next window. GB has Park's list, our database and whatever ideas of his own to go off.

And I'll be honest again, I'm not sure about his CV for the role. Sounds like he has basically spent his career with the Welsh FA, and recruitment for a national team is a very different animal to recruitment for a club side. Then again I had the same reservation about us being Mark Hughes' first club team managed, and that turned out ok. Just think we have a few too many of the new management team trying their hand at something for the first time. DoF has no experience of being one. Manager has a couple of jobs under his belt but hasn't managed in England. Now a Head of Recruitment that hasn't recruited for clubs before (far as I know) and is joining very late. You can certainly get away with some inexperience if you have the quality, but for all three to be new to this in one sense or another is a slight concern for me. Hopefully it proves a non-issue.

Might just be his notice period!

• Like 2

Odd comment from GB:

"We wish to thank Dave Adams and the Board of the Welsh FA for allowing Gus to join us so promptly.”

But he isn't joining us promptly? He's joining next month. It sounds like he is leaving at the end of his contract and therefore we have nothing to thank the Welsh FA for?

Edit - Or could be a notice period as 1864 says above. Although that still doesn't sound like we need to thank the Welsh FA for any particular promptness.

Edited by bluebruce

28 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Its getting that way, i see something in one paper, then our local press then put it in hours later.

Not since yesterday, i can confirm though Waggott was shocked i knew, having been told an hour before I met with him, so technically had it confirmed at both sides now

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Not since yesterday, i can confirm though Waggott was shocked i knew, having been told an hour before I met with him, so technically had it confirmed at both sides now

Confirmed about Bowler or Styles Glen?

seems to be a lot happening in the background atm, most of it positive!

17 minutes ago, Mercer said:

The bottom line, IMO, is that Brereton HAS to be sold ASAP.  The only way we are going to be able to make quality additions who can come in and make an impact from day 1.

We need to be punching hard from next Saturday.  Momentum and confidence is everything in Championship.

If no reasonable offers then we can't sell him just yet can we?

We need to hold tough and try get as much as we possibly can for him.

If he starts the season with us so be it, a team or teams will panic as deadline draws closer and are likely to pay more, especially if he begins the season in goalscoring form with us.

The club do need to be sounding out possible replacements etc tho 

What I will say for Gus is I read (some of) the article someone posted of an interview with him, and he sounded like he knows his stuff and has a football brain. Hopefully that means he adapts well to club recruitment.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rigger said:

Is Morton any better than Adam Wharton ? 

Only time will tell, but Wharton hasn't played at the San Siro for 90 mins in the CL. Or in fact played any senior games at all, despite being at Championship BRFC where it should be easier to get games than at Premiership and Champions League Liverpool. So for now I'd think Morton is further along in his development. He might be here for the holding role anyway, making his competition more Travis and Garrett than A. Wharton.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Odd comment from GB:

"We wish to thank Dave Adams and the Board of the Welsh FA for allowing Gus to join us so promptly.”

But he isn't joining us promptly? He's joining next month. It sounds like he is leaving at the end of his contract and therefore we have nothing to thank the Welsh FA for?

Edit - Or could be a notice period as 1864 says above. Although that still doesn't sound like we need to thank the Welsh FA for any particular promptness.

Or it could just be that, GB is being polite.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

What I will say for Gus is I read (some of) the article someone posted of an interview with him, and he sounded like he knows his stuff and has a football brain. Hopefully that means he well to club .

There's no Cat 1 academies in Wales. I assume he's been involved at all levels within the Welsh FA.

Hopefully a good appointment, it's starting to feel like there might be a hint of a semblance of a sniff of a possible plan.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Only time will tell, but Wharton hasn't played at the San Siro for 90 mins in the CL. Or in fact played any senior games at all, despite being at Championship BRFC where it should be easier to get games than at Premiership and Champions League Liverpool. So for now I'd think Morton is further along in his development. He might be here for the holding role anyway, making his competition more Travis and Garrett than A. Wharton.

In my eyes no matter where Morton plays he will be halting the advance of one of our players. If a player is signed permanantly then fair enough, but personally I would not sign youngster loanees, to fill rolls that we already have our own youngsters to fill.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Theaxe15 said:

Even though he’s working off his notice I’m sure Williams will at least be able to put some names of players forward. No doubt there’ll be communication going on

True, although his main pre-existing knowledge will be of players with eligibility for Wales. Which I think he said was 3 or 5 percent of the players in England. Hopefully he has identified some gems from amongst those, but any he has are likely in one of the Wales squads already. He will have seen other players during scouting too, but he won't have focused on those so much. But you're right, anyone he really rates he will probably tell us right away, and will have time for a bit of communication with the club's recruitment team, so it shouldn't have a huge impact him starting late.

4 minutes ago, rigger said:

In my eyes no matter where Morton plays he will be halting the advance of one of our players. If a player is signed permanantly then fair enough, but personally I would not sign youngster loanees, to fill rolls that we already have our own youngsters to fill.

Even if they are better?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rigger said:

Well we could have said the same about JPvH last season - he effectively blocked Carter. But he was dead good.

I guess it's about whether Morton is a JPvH/Harvey Elliott or a Clarkson.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

If it’s the 2 out of Bowler & Styles then I’d personally go for Styles…Surely we can’t afford both?? We have Markanday & Hedges on the right, although I don’t rate the latter…

I think Bowler prefers the right side as an inverter winger so there would certainly be room for both him and Styles in the team - especially if BBD leaves. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Even if they are better?

Yes. We need to develop Rovers players, not other teams youngsters. It would be different perhaps, if an experienced player was being loaned in, and we needed that experience.

• Like 3