BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

2 hours ago, M_B said:

I can't imagine anyone coming in with an acceptable bid for Brereton, I think he'll still be here in January. If he has a decent first half of the season, that's when Prem teams in the lower reaches will take the plunge.

I'd say we would probably then hold more of the aces, even though he'd be closer to the end of his contract, as teams in fear of relegation have to gamble. 

On signings, I'd hope for another 2 quality buys in the Styles mould. The Morton loan looks like a good move, if we can secure a player who's played 9 times for Liverpool, it has to be done. 

Don't think we'd be far off there, with maybe another couple of clever loans if Broughton can pull a couple of rabbits out of the hat. 

But there’s foreign interest. In January he can sign a contract with anyone on Spain and we get nothing. Has to be locked down or sold this summer. 

3 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Alioski, who is currently without a club,  was really good at Leeds being linked with Beskitas now on a free,

Wouldnt mind him here tbh, but could have a baring on their alleged interest in Styles

He’d surely get a lower PL club. Quality player.

No harm in asking, mind.

Thanks for the info glen. Certainly we can all agree based on the first signing and on the players we are tracking this could end up being a successful window. We may not get every target but the standard of player we are looking at is certainly the level a team building for a promotion challenge would expect. The less we hear from GB the better, he seems to like an airtight ship.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, eire3382 said:

Thanks for the info glen. Certainly we can all agree based on the first signing and on the players we are tracking this could end up being a successful window. We may not get every target but the standard of player we are looking at is certainly the level a team building for a promotion challenge would expect. The less we hear from GB the better, he seems to like an airtight ship.

Even a water tight ship would do.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jlee1984 said:

LT have changed reporters that many times that there’s no bond between themselves or the club. I like the way we operate now, Under the radar and get the job done without an auction or pants pulled down by agents.

It's a painful waiting game, but if they get it right it's more than worth it

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JHRover said:

I'm optimistic about the signing. I can't really comment on whether it is value for money as only time will tell, but I am relieved/satisfied that we have invested in a permanent signing rather than turning to loans. I won't get back onto the Nyambe discussion but it is a signing we have had to make because of our negligence on Nyambe so to answer your question yes I am pleased with the signing, yes I am pleased we have paid a fee and given him a 4 year deal, but it wouldn't have been needed had we sorted our shit out over the last few years.

For me, this is upgrade on Nyambe and I didn't think Nyambe was anymore than decent Championship full back. Others will disagree on this. 

I think Brittain deal a great deal for the club

5 hours ago, JHRover said:

But I wasn't talking about the Brittain signing, I was talking about further signings, which are urgently needed, and Tomasson's comments yesterday about there being money available. The point I was making was that most managers and staff under Venkys have said money is available, but actually spending it is where things don't always come together. For example you could have £30 million to spend, but if you are adhering to a strict wage bill suggestive of a bottom end Championship club you might as well not bother, as you won't be able to put it to much use.

We have competitive wage budget but teams with parachute payments can offered more than us. That's football sadly now. 

I hope we bring in a 2 or 3 more permanent signings with 1 or 2 loans in the next 5 weeks

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

We are basing it on gossip but whether any bids have been put in or not, presumably with a huge price tag on his head, I can say with almost certainty that a 23 year old Chilean international forward coming off the back of scoring over 20 goals in the Championship would have plenty of interest if he was a free agent, and he would be in a really good personal situation. It would be a totally different proposition to convincing a side to spend big money on him.

No we are basing on current events and what we know. 

I stand by my comment that I think he might sign a new contract here if he didn't get a move this summer, 

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Bournemouth's policy of spending loads in the Championship then refusing to spend at all when they get into the Premier League is not sensible, it's very strange.

I think Bournemouth decide to buy players they thought would be good enough to help them survival regelation. they might spend some money in the coming weeks. Still need a few players 

1 minute ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I think there’s a misunderstanding as to what Rich Sharpe does, which is not to print gossip a la Nixon who gets 95% of it wrong. He only prints news that has been confirmed, which will always be later than any gossip that preceded it, especially as the club clearly doesn’t like gossip getting out. Alf Thornton only broke transfer news because there was no internet, although maybe Ron Kennedy always scooped him first.

Tbf to Nixon these days he’s fairly on the money with his exclusives. 

It’s his extremely vague and useless replies on Twitter that are frustrating. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I think there’s a misunderstanding as to what Rich Sharpe does, which is not to print gossip a la Nixon who gets 95% of it wrong. He only prints news that has been confirmed, which will always be later than any gossip that preceded it, especially as the club clearly doesn’t like gossip getting out. Alf Thornton only broke transfer news because there was no internet, although maybe Ron Kennedy always scooped him first.

No misunderstanding, what you describe is what he's always done. The difference this year is he seems to be engaging in speculation, especially on Twitter.

But as Sharpe himself said, Mowbray used to confirm/deny stuff for him, JDT doesn't. 

Edited by Sweaty Gussets

3 minutes ago, renrag said:

I know for a fact that Alf Thornton was often given information, so that he could prepare a story in advance. The club knew they could do that, because he would not break their confidence until he was given the nod

Social media has changed the world.

Likes of Jack Tipping (cartoonist supreme) and Peter White were always good for a bit of 'discrete' info if you had their confidence. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Finlay McKenna said:

I see far too many people criticising Rich, he's the most generally reliable source for Rovers and always acts within the best interests of the club, rather than seeking to gain attention and clicks with gossip.

I'd rather not know about a signing and it happen than find out and see the deal fall through as a result.

At the end of the day he's a local sports journalist covering Blackburn Rovers, not an investigative journalist seeking to expose the Russian government. It serves nobody's best interests for him to start putting club secrets into the public eye.

By the way, if some people aren’t aware, he is also a Rovers fan as he confirmed to me recently

Edited by Tugayisgod
  • Like 8

45 minutes ago, Finlay McKenna said:

I see far too many people criticising Rich, he's the most generally reliable source for Rovers and always acts within the best interests of the club, rather than seeking to gain attention and clicks with gossip.

I'd rather not know about a signing and it happen than find out and see the deal fall through as a result.

At the end of the day he's a local sports journalist covering Blackburn Rovers, not an investigative journalist seeking to expose the Russian government. It serves nobody's best interests for him to start putting club secrets into the public eye.

Not sure I buy the generally reliable source bit. I’m just as reliable as him cos I too wait until Rovers or Nixon tweet something.

23 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Not sure I buy the generally reliable source bit. I’m just as reliable as him cos I too wait until Rovers or Nixon tweet something.

I think you're mistaking reliability as being fast rather than trusted and accurate, Rich is the only source that is right 99.9% of the time.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Finlay McKenna said:

I think you're mistaking reliability as being fast rather than trusted and accurate, Rich is the only source that is right 99.9% of the time.

You can't be wrong if you report something after the fact?

18 minutes ago, Finlay McKenna said:

It's 100% as the news is already out there when he writes about it.Nobody at the club is giving him anything.

On this Style story, do you really believe that the club if we are in for him would say to Rich " yes we have bid Rich, £2.5 million but don't tell anyone just yet"

Like iv said seems a sound fella but id challenge you to show me one exclusive, that hadn't been somewhere else beforehand?Even in January his understanding we had an interest in Markanday on loan few hours later confirmed by the club it's a permanent deal.

The likes of Nixon and other nationals have contacts that are external agents,someone at the selling club.

Brittain Rich was nowhere near and Morton again it was already reported it was a done deal before he gave him a mention 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, islander200 said:

It's 100% as the news is already out there when he writes about it.Nobody at the club is giving him anything.

On this Style story, do you really believe that the club if we are in for him would say to Rich " yes we have bid Rich, £2.5 million but don't tell anyone just yet"

Like iv said seems a sound fella but id challenge you to show me one exclusive, that hadn't been somewhere else beforehand?Even in January his understanding we had an interest in Markanday on loan few hours later confirmed by the club it's a permanent deal.

The likes of Nixon and other nationals have contacts that are external agents,someone at the selling club.

Brittain Rich was nowhere near and Morton again it was already reported it was a done deal before he gave him a mention 

Have you considered he knows stuff before he puts things out, he just puts it out when he can do?