BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

10 hours ago, JohnD said:

He joined Rovers as an apprentice, made his debut at 19

From memory, Garner made his debut early in the '78/'79 season whilst still aged 18. He was lined up to play some 18 months or so earlier towards the end of the '76/'77 season whilst aged only 17 but that didn't come off for some reason. I think the current system slows down young players' development between age 18 and 21. Previously on completion of an apprenticeship at 18 they were in the reserves or first team squad or shipped out. Nowadays we think of, for example, defender Sam Barnes -aged 21, as a youth player but he has been here for 5 years now with a very cautious and slow development prior to being anywhere near 1st team ready.

Edited by Colt Seavers
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Butty said:

12 goals last season in a poor team, the guy scores goals, if he went to a Cardiff or a Huddersfield I think he’d maybe do even better. I’m surprised a club hasn’t gone in for him, even at 28 years old. Very good player. 

Must admit that surprised me. It took him ages to get going as I recall. I knew that he scored a few when they replaced their manager but I still had him down as comfortably in single figures. 

10 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

From memory, Garner made his debut early in the '78/'79 season whilst still aged 18. He was lined up to play some 18 months or so earlier towards the end of the '76/'77 season whilst aged only 17 but that didn't come off for some reason. I think the current system slows down young players' development between age 18 and 21. Previously on completion of an apprenticeship at 18 they were in the reserves or first team squad or shipped out. Nowadays we think of, for example, defender Sam Barnes -aged 21, as a youth player but he has been here for 5 years now with a very cautious and slow development prior to being anywhere near 1st team ready.

Indeed, I bet a lot of our fans see Scott Wharton as a ‘youngster’, he’s about to turn 25!

Probably mirrors modern society in some way in our expectations of when people are full grown adults, when they now move out, move back in, get married, get a mortgage, have kids etc…

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

Previously on completion of an apprenticeship at 18 they were in the reserves or first team squad or shipped out.

I think scrapping the reserve teams is one issue. Now you just get kids playing kids rather than the best kids getting kicked about by some grumpy brick shit house who is deemed not good enough for the 1st team any more. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Butty said:

12 goals last season in a poor team, the guy scores goals, if he went to a Cardiff or a Huddersfield I think he’d maybe do even better. I’m surprised a club hasn’t gone in for him, even at 28 years old. Very good player. 

Gallagher would get better numbers if he was the main goalscoring outlet and put on penalties, Posh would want around 4M for him, hard pass at 28.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Indeed, I bet a lot of our fans see Scott Wharton as a ‘youngster’, he’s about to turn 25!

Probably mirrors modern society in some way in our expectations of when people are full grown adults, when they now move out, move back in, get married, get a mortgage, have kids etc…

Society has made it much harder to get on in life at a young age.

You can't buy a house at 20 anymore, not unless you're a footballer.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Butty said:

Gallagher would get better numbers if he was the main goalscoring outlet and put on penalties, Posh would want around 4M for him, hard pass at 28.

10 minutes ago, Finlay McKenna said:

If we're back in for Peterborough players I'd want Ricky-Jade Jones.

If we're after a striker we need to be targeting a young prospect to loan from one of the PL teams - that's where most of the best young attackers seem to end up.

Keinan Davis makes a fine example, there will be a bunch of these about.

Sam Greenwood could be a good'un, just signed a new contract with Leeds maybe they'd be willing to send him over to get some more regular minutes?

5 minutes ago, had.e.nuff said:

always thought he came as an apprentice

Yes, came as a 16 year old. Ojf1 was being humorous, remembering that Garner was married, a homeowner and 1st team player at age 18, combined with a healthy love of beer and ciggies

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Stop gerrymandering your stats..Dack never scored in the championshipuntil we boughthim.....SS has hardly played in the championship too...(not saying he's a bad buy, just I've always like JCH)

JCH has scored 70 goals in last 3 years, that's good enough for me and he whacked a couple in at the weekend.  Age 28, bang on and ready to step up....if we had have signed him instead of SS you'd have been quoting his 70 goals in 3 seasons....🤷‍♂️

I'm just saying you've called JCH a Championship Forward, but as a Championship Forward he's objectively no better than what we have in the building. And for the millions Posh would want, I don't see the value in it. 

I'm gerrymandering, I posted his Championship goal record because you openly stated his Championship level ability.

6 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Out of interest, have I missed JDT's comments on Szmodic?

There was an article when Morton arrived (lovely boy, talented, Klopp is no fool etc), but nothing on Sammie.

Wonder if they're just being pragmatic and waiting til Thursday's pre-match presser?

26 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I'm just saying you've called JCH a Championship Forward,

No I didn't....I just said that instead of SS I'd have bought JCH.  Why you giving me grief mate? 🤷‍♂️

Obviously neither of us know if he would be great in the championship but give me the choice of him or SS , I'd choose JCH, that's all...scores a lot of goals.

We have enough tricky ooompa loompahs,  need a big strong CF

Edited by Sparks Rover

57 minutes ago, Finlay McKenna said:

Don’t necessarily want him here and wouldn’t want to pay 4 million but I still rate him as a player 

"Wolves are right at the front of the queue to sign Ben Brereton Diaz after a report revealed they are ready to act after learning Blackburn Rovers’ asking price for the Chile international."

Seems like our boy could be on his way out, he'll be missed for sure - but if this is done within the next week then happy days.

Use the money to sign JPVH, Bowler and Birmancevic - would definitely put us in the mix.

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

No I didn't....I just said that instead of SS I'd have bought JCH.  Why you giving me grief mate? 🤷‍♂️

Obviously neither of us know if he would be great in the championship but give me the choice of him or SS , I'd choose JCH, that's all...scores a lot of goals.

We have enough tricky ooompa loompahs,  need a big strong CF

1917539240_Screenshot2022-08-03at10_44_26.thumb.png.c376c1c71cf02f5d78ffa5616d149174.png

I've just detailed that in the Championship his record is no better than Gallaghers. 5,500 minutes is enough playing time to analyse his data. 

I'm not trying to give grief at all! I'm just saying I don't rate JCH any more than what we have in the building.

Edited by JoeH

4 minutes ago, TheRevAshton said:

"Wolves are right at the front of the queue to sign Ben Brereton Diaz after a report revealed they are ready to act after learning Blackburn Rovers’ asking price for the Chile international."

Seems like our boy could be on his way out, he'll be missed for sure - but if this is done within the next week then happy days.

Use the money to sign JPVH, Bowler and Birmancevic - would definitely put us in the mix.

Be a shame to see him leave just as we are starting fresh under JDT but his sale this summer has been inevitable as he won't be signing a new deal.

As long as we replace him, then it will be fine but that's not a guarantee. 

Where have you read that btw?

7 minutes ago, TheRevAshton said:

If the past 11 years are anything to go by, that money won't be reinvested to that extreme.

I imagine his wages will be freed up in the budget, but any cash of which would probably be minimal, will probably be in next summers budget.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

If the past 11 years are anything to go by, that money won't be reinvested to that extreme.

I imagine his wages will be freed up in the budget, but any cash of which would probably be minimal, will probably be in next summers budget.

the money will likely be invested next year, there’s enough budget this year to serve us well as a result of the Armstrong sale.