BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

I think potentially Phillips will be better than Carter but when JDT had more of a choice he chose Barnes ahead of him and if Carter had been fit he would have been also.

He is not long 17 and is still growing into his body.His talent will see him through in the short term but you cant be relying on a lad of his age to do it at centre half in the championship over the course of a season.

Let's see but once we sign a couple then Phillips first team action will be minimal imo and wouldn't be shocked to see him loaned out if he isn't sold to Spurs

If you can't rely him to do it in the Championship because his 'body' can't cope, then the same applies to every league. So playing in the Championship or being loaned will be the same end result on his body. Just like Rooney at 17, maybe AP's body can cope with playing, for example, 15-20 league games. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I think potentially Phillips will be better than Carter but when JDT had more of a choice he chose Barnes ahead of him and if Carter had been fit he would have been also.

He is not long 17 and is still growing into his body.His talent will see him through in the short term but you cant be relying on a lad of his age to do it at centre half in the championship over the course of a season.

Let's see but once we sign a couple then Phillips first team action will be minimal imo and wouldn't be shocked to see him loaned out if he isn't sold to Spurs

He isn't displacing Ayala or Wharton, he will be fighting it out with Carter for the bench, each of them will be getting double figures appearances this season injuries withstanding that's even with another being brought in

6 minutes ago, Spankus Munky said:

He isn't displacing Ayala or Wharton, he will be fighting it out with Carter for the bench, each of them will be getting double figures appearances this season injuries withstanding that's even with another being brought in

Get 2 new defenders in send Carter on loan. Phillips 5th choice . Will still get 10 plus games this season

13 minutes ago, Spankus Munky said:

2 centre halves we want and centre back isn't really a position you rotate.Lets see but I don't believe he will play a big role this season 

Edited by islander200

22 minutes ago, JHRover said:

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/blackburn-rovers-phillips-contract-latest-21594468

This was the Lancs Live 'exclusive' on Phillips in September 2021. I'll treat this with extreme caution.

That didn't present itself as an exclusive. The LT also reported that a deal with Phillips was agreed for when he turned 17. What nobody has been able to categorically clear up since is whether Phillips was able to officially sign it so it legally came into force once he turned 17. What I've seen on here and elsewhere paints the picture to me that he and his team verbally agreed it, but it couldn't be signed into force, then when the time came they decided it wasn't enough and renegotiated.

24 minutes ago, neophox said:

He wont get game time there. We could sell him in a year or two for mega bucks if we dont reach the premier league. Think JDT has played a big role here. With Mowbray he would had been gone.

We will probably struggle for 'mega' bucks if we wait two years. At that point he will only have a year left on his deal, as 17 year olds can only sign 3 year deals. Unless we can persuade him to sign another next year of course.

19 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

If you can't rely him to do it in the Championship because his 'body' can't cope, then the same applies to every league. So playing in the Championship or being loaned will be the same end result on his body. Just like Rooney at 17, maybe AP's body can cope with playing, for example, 15-20 league games. 

JDT plan was never for Phillips to play a major role this season.

I don't mind Phillips learning and making mistakes at another club whilst on loan but if we are serious about going for promotion then I don't want him having to start many matches for us this season 

1 minute ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

I'm just hoping JDT has told AP 'the shirt is yours to lose'.

That's how it should be, regardless of age. 

And hopefully that has convinced him to sign the contract. 

It feels like JDT could be the difference here

If the article is correct, of course

Could also just be that I have completely fallen for the man 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Entitled to your opinion of course - but I think disgusting is OTT.

The only thing that the lad can do in this situation to pay us back for what we have done for him is reject Spurs' offer and back himself to get another one further down the line. I don't care how talented you are, how much self belief you have, that is a big gamble when you've made a couple of professional appearances and you're an injury away from disaster. 

I used the word ‘disgusting’ because as someone who loves club, I feel this would be a betrayal- am I right in thinking he is a fan too? I am rarely annoyed but this story has vexed me so perhaps this explains the hyperbole in my language!

if what lanc live is correct then he has done what I think anyone in his position should do, sign a deal, negotiate playing time and then by the time you get to 21 you will be in an ideal position to get a big club to sign you and more importantly play you. I also think with Ayala and Wharton plus another two centre halfs, he is 5th choice but will still play 10-15 games this season.

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

JDT plan was never for Phillips to play a major role this season.

I don't mind Phillips learning and making mistakes at another club whilst on loan but if we are serious about going for promotion then I don't want him having to start many matches for us this season 

Yes but Phil Jones wasn't in Allardyce plans until he was needed as a last resort likewise de Ligt wasn't in Ajax plans until he was needed then he didn't leave the first team picture. They took the chance handed to them putting a marker down and they did it a higher level than we are currently

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, neophox said:

He wont get game time there. We could sell him in a year or two for mega bucks if we dont reach the premier league. Think JDT has played a big role here. With Mowbray he would had been gone.

IF, and it's a big if, he stays, then have to agree with this. I simply cannot imagine Mowbray convincing someone to stay.

The change in tone and optimism that is coming from people in leadership roles has to be felt throughout the team. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Spankus Munky said:

Yes but Phil Jones wasn't in Allardyce plans until he was needed as a last resort likewise de Ligt wasn't in Ajax plans until he was needed then he didn't leave the first team picture. They took the chance handed to them putting a marker down and they did it a higher level than we are currently

He had a decent league debut on Sunday but it was well marshalled by Ayala and he picked up Grant for the majority.

Id argue both Jones and De Ligt bodies had grown out more than Phillips when they both made there debuts.

Suppose we will see but in my opinion and that's all it is JDT will want a bit more experience and strength back there.

Still see VDB and another coming in 

3 minutes ago, islander200 said:

He had a decent league debut on Sunday but it was well marshalled by Ayala and he picked up Grant for the majority.

Id argue both Jones and De Ligt bodies had grown out more than Phillips when they both made there debuts.

Suppose we will see but in my opinion and that's all it is JDT will want a bit more experience and strength back there.

Still see VDB and another coming in 

You might be right and i'd agree JDT would want more experience if Phillips were to be 3rd choice. As 4th/5th choice getting mainly Cup starts and 15-20 mins off the bench every few weeks I think he would be delighted.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Stinks of clickbait. In my opinion it’s no coincidence that ‘exclusive’ happens mere hours after Spurs fans’ interest in Phillips was piqued

Or the Spurs “leak” could have been an attempt to unsettle him again. We’ll only know who’s right when the ink dries 😁

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, imy9 said:

I used the word ‘disgusting’ because as someone who loves club, I feel this would be a betrayal- am I right in thinking he is a fan too? I am rarely annoyed but this story has vexed me so perhaps this explains the hyperbole in my language!

if what lanc live is correct then he has done what I think anyone in his position should do, sign a deal, negotiate playing time and then by the time you get to 21 you will be in an ideal position to get a big club to sign you and more importantly play you. I also think with Ayala and Wharton plus another two centre halfs, he is 5th choice but will still play 10-15 games this season.

I don't think he is a Rovers fan to be honest, although I could be wrong. 

Don't get me wrong, I would also be gutted if he were to go for peanuts, and I posted a couple of days ago that I think he should do (for his own sake) something similar to what Bellingham did at Birmingham.

All I'm saying is that whilst he does owe us to an extent for the work we've put in behind the scenes, it's potentially a big gamble in the face of a (potentially) huge financial offer from a club that competes for Champions League places. If we were to sell him now then we would likely get a couple of million or him, which is obviously a snip compared to his value, but is a fair return on the investment that we've put in to develop him. 

I think he could leave with a fairly clean conscience in those circumstances - even if the system itself is rigged. Hopefully it'll all be academic anyway because he'll sign the new deal and we can start building the statue!

28 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

I'm just hoping JDT has told AP 'the shirt is yours to lose'.

That's how it should be, regardless of age. 

And hopefully that has convinced him to sign the contract. 

The club couldn't ethically say that to a 17 year old defender with a injury-troubled season behind, especially considering the role is probably the most physical on the pitch. He is being offered a back-up role and chance to play plenty of games, which is more than enough. If he decides to cash in and try to fast-track his elevation to the Premier League, then that's up to him and understandable for financial reasons. Likely he'd be loaned to the Championship/abroad for a year or so, if he did make the move.

Edited by riverholmes

18 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Stinks of clickbait. In my opinion it’s no coincidence that ‘exclusive’ happens mere hours after Spurs fans’ interest in Phillips was piqued.

I get the pessimistic view and I am reluctant to fully believe it as they aren’t reliable. However, they tend to just reword the current story that’s going around so the fact they’ve gone completely the opposite to what everyone else is reporting means they’ve been told something. Whether that’s accurate remains to be seen. It’s quite a big shift though from the national media reporting he’s signing for spurs. Essentially risking any reputation as a credible reporter isn’t he.

27 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

That didn't present itself as an exclusive. The LT also reported that a deal with Phillips was agreed for when he turned 17. What nobody has been able to categorically clear up since is whether Phillips was able to officially sign it so it legally came into force once he turned 17. What I've seen on here and elsewhere paints the picture to me that he and his team verbally agreed it, but it couldn't be signed into force, then when the time came they decided it wasn't enough and renegotiated.

Is it an exclusive? Club have maintained throughout they want him to sign deal, also Batty too, but  understand his stock has risen due to England call up. They have maintained they are negotiating and hope he will sign a deal.

The article says he is close to signing deal but may still leave. Talk about click bait, 

If Spurs bid, like any other player, lad will want to take it.

Best we can hope for is he signs deal before we accept bid, so we can get a better fee

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Eddie said:

IF, and it's a big if, he stays, then have to agree with this. I simply cannot imagine Mowbray convincing someone to stay.

The change in tone and optimism that is coming from people in leadership roles has to be felt throughout the team. 

Mowbray probably told him he’d use him as a false 9

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I don't think he is a Rovers fan to be honest, although I could be wrong. 

Don't get me wrong, I would also be gutted if he were to go for peanuts, and I posted a couple of days ago that I think he should do (for his own sake) something similar to what Bellingham did at Birmingham.

All I'm saying is that whilst he does owe us to an extent for the work we've put in behind the scenes, it's potentially a big gamble in the face of a (potentially) huge financial offer from a club that competes for Champions League places. If we were to sell him now then we would likely get a couple of million or him, which is obviously a snip compared to his value, but is a fair return on the investment that we've put in to develop him. 

I think he could leave with a fairly clean conscience in those circumstances - even if the system itself is rigged. Hopefully it'll all be academic anyway because he'll sign the new deal and we can start building the statue!

From Manchester and not a Rovers fan. Rovers picked him up early teens, was told Crystal Palace were the main other team in for him at the time but obviously Rovers made more sense for a lad still at school in Manchester 

• Like 1