BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

1 minute ago, S8 & Blue said:

I must have missed the memo but I’m sure a few weeks ago JDT and GB were stressing patience, talking about a transition into a new “project”, and talking about 2 or 3 transfer windows…

Honestly I was expecting a mid table finish and a lot of young players coming through and improving 🤷‍♂️

Everyone seemed on board before we lost a couple of games.

It's the usual spiel from every manager, but this idea of a slow build is extremely flawed both because of the high player turnover at the majority of Championship clubs fuelled by loan signings, and the fact that Venkys do not in any way act like owners willing to allow a build, with inconsistent reinvestment amounts and interference.

We may well not finish in the top 6, but we certainly shouldn't be almost writing off a whole season in a bang average league in favour of focusing on player development. There has also been plenty of talk of wanting to be in the Premier League, there's no reason to push those ambitions down the line.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Agreed. The 2 league defeats showed up our lack of strength and bite in midfield. We were comprehensively outbattled. Desperately need another "enforcer" type who can play a bit. The money we wasted on Szmodics could have been spent on one. 

I miss Emerton and Savage. You never knew when they might do something rash, it was like added suspense. When Emerton was coming up behind someone with possession I literally heard the Jaws theme.

For sure need some metal in the middle.

• Like 4

Once Hyam signs I would be happy to go with the C/B we have I really don’t see the need for another , if we are only making 3 signings I would say left back and for me I think we are a central midfielder light  , an experienced player who can come on in the last 10-15mins of a tight game and see it out , IF BBD goes then it goes without saying we will probably need 2 forward players signed 

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Except Broughton didn't have the option of keeping any of Rothwell, Lenihan or Nyambe.

Exactly - DL on £10k more at Boro, JR on 50 bags and Nyambe is so good, he sat on a 4yr contract offer too long, GB & JDT withdrew it and he ended up on a one year deal and less money in Wigans ressie’s - tragic.

All held out for the dollar. So far, none are pulling up any trees. We’ll move on, like we always do 👍🏼

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Paul Mani said:

Exactly - DL on £10k more at Boro, JR on 50 bags and Nyambe is so good, he sat on a 4yr contract offer too long, GB & JDT withdrew it and he ended up on a one year deal and less money in Wigans ressie’s - tragic.

All held out for the dollar. So far, none are pulling up any trees. We’ll move on, like we always do 👍🏼

Is this street talk from those road men chaps?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It's the usual spiel from every manager, but this idea of a slow build is extremely flawed both because of the high player turnover at the majority of Championship clubs fuelled by loan signings, and the fact that Venkys do not in any way act like owners willing to allow a build, with inconsistent reinvestment amounts and interference.

We may well not finish in the top 6, but we certainly shouldn't be almost writing off a whole season in a bang average league in favour of focusing on player development. There has also been plenty of talk of wanting to be in the Premier League, there's no reason to push those ambitions down the line.

Certainly not writing it off, as the eternal optimist I’m slyly thinking we might surprise even ourselves…

But I won’t be worried if we are a bit hit and miss for a while, the squad/contract/internal operations situation has been a bit of a shitstate for JDT & GB to come into.

Before we even start thinking about coaching us and shaping us into a better team.

I want to see positive steps, I think JDT has that” je ne sais quoi” already, our youth are as good as any journeymen and who knows how the new signings will pan out…

Expectations low this season, hope I’m proved wrong.

28 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

I must have missed the memo but I’m sure a few weeks ago JDT and GB were stressing patience, talking about a transition into a new “project”, and talking about 2 or 3 transfer windows…

Honestly I was expecting a mid table finish and a lot of young players coming through and improving 🤷‍♂️

Actually I'd say everyone (well, most) seemed on board with the need for it to take time until we won the first 3. Then delusions of promotion this season returned.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Swanson said:

Fredrik Bjørkan's loan move to Norwich still hasn't happend yet, Gregg should be on the phone.

He reminds me so much of Stig Inge Bjornebye …. Would love him on loan with an option to buy …. Come on GB move one of Eden or Pickering to make some space …. 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Also talked about our squad being a lot stronger by the end of the window.

3 minutes ago, unleaded said:

He reminds me so much of Stig Inge Bjornebye …. Would love him on loan with an option to buy …. Come on GB move one of Eden or Pickering to make some space …. 

Absoloutely this.  A savvy operator gets one of those 2 off the books and better full back in.  Need to be way more ruthless with players that aren't up to it. 

29 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I agree but they did buy in to Mowbray’s 5 year journey shite. At any other professional club he wouldn’t have lasted as long as he did but they infuriatingly kept him on. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mercer said:

Would be a good move for Brereton.

A mid table La Liga team and pressure would be 'manageable'.  If he's got what it takes to play in La Liga, and shows it, the bigger teams would soon come calling. 

Mercer, I agree with you and I think alot will come down to where they want to raise their new born children(due in the next 7 months) and what his missus wants whether they want to stay UK based or live in Spain or France. 

9 hours ago, smiller14 said:

Not plugged 'any' of the gaps might be a tad unfair,  but we are undeniably weaker. Szmodics and Khadra are totally different players, and Morton might have replaced Johnson but what about Rothwell?

At centre back we lost Lenihan/Van Hecke and have only replaced them with the returning Carter. Comfortably weaker there.

I don't agree that Khadra was awful. He was frustrating and a bit raw, but 'awful' just sounds like sour grapes. I could wager you weren't describing him that way last season when he was putting on the blue and white!

In reality, we should really have been trying to kick on, but we've applied a few plasters here and there whilst leaving JDT with a squad lacking in depth. Of course we have a bit of time to change that, but if BBD goes and we don't replace him we are looking very weak.

I would say that Buckley has replace Rothwell in the playing role with Dack replace Buckley in the playing role cos we didn't really have Dack back last season. Look better this season even if not 100% yet

5 hours ago, Tom said:

I’d take Caulker if we had managed to get Van Hecke on a permanent but hope it’s not an alternative 

Van Hecke ain't coming here on a permanent contract Tom. This is why we moved on Hyam now which looks like happening now. 

5 hours ago, Neal said:

Hyam and Caulker means no JPVH or SVDB. Seems as we're on the D list now. 

Who says we are on D list? We will have 5 or 6 names on lists for each position. 

JPVH isn't coming back and SVDB deal is taking far too long for Liverpool to confirm and we can't wait anymore. Time we move on and we have finally bringing in 2 defenders

3 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Let's say we bring in Hyam and Caulker.  Are we stronger than last year?

surely the judge to this is when they have sign and playing for us. Judge their performances on the pitch not on paper or internet. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Actually I'd say everyone (well, most) seemed on board with the need for it to take time until we won the first 3. Then delusions of promotion this season returned.

It doesn't "need" to take time. It may well take time and indeed no one is saying that if it doesn't happen instantly that we should panic and do something drastic. But the league is average, player turnover means that every team changes considerably each summer and the idea of writing a season off as a development one 5 games in is nonsensical.

Loaning Morton and potentially signing Caulker doesn't fit into a slow build either.

5 minutes ago, matt83 said:

I agree but they did buy in to Mowbray’s 5 year journey shite. At any other professional club he wouldn’t have lasted as long as he did but they infuriatingly kept him on. 

I don't think they bought into it necessarily, otherwise they wouldn't have withheld all spending last summer or tried to interfere to block sales and prevent reinvestment. They have never been good at making footballing decisions based on merit.

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Who says we are on D list? We will have 5 or 6 names on lists for each position. 

JPVH isn't coming back and SVDB deal is taking far too long for Liverpool to confirm and we can't wait anymore. Time we move on and we have finally bringing in 2 defenders

surely the judge to this is when they have sign and playing for us. Judge their performances on the pitch not on paper or internet. 

So why have you come onto a forum to pass comment on them yourself!

Hyam and Caulker are almost certainly not the first choices if strong rumour is to believe. Ahmedhodiz, Ben Davies and Van Den Berg (not convinced Van Hecke was ever a live target this summer) were all tried for unsuccessfully. Not necessarily a slight on the ability of anyone who does sign, but we tried and failed for others first. End of.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

They're low down the list because they're obviously not first choice. We know who those players are. So at best, they're 3rd or 4th choices, which makes them C or D listers. 

The question is, now you've scouted them on YouTube do they pass the "quality" test you were demanding? 

Edited by jim mk2

3 hours ago, unleaded said:

More then happy with Hyman … GB has done well there ….looking like a done deal

Will add much needed Experience & brings the physical side to the table … Coventry fans rate him very highly which is always a great sign ….

47B3D182-371A-4E89-98D7-B1D97E1817FD.jpeg

4AEDAC13-3744-47D3-ADF8-6ACB5E81A5E6.jpeg

Great to see you are endorsing this signing and seems to have the stats to back this up. 

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

6 signings in total, yeah? Plus another 1 or 2 if BBD goes and promotion of the likes of Phillips, Carter, Adam Wharton, Garrett and Vale into the first team set up?

Numbers seem right to me…🤷🏽‍♂️

I agree. Its look like at least 4 permanent signings maybe 5 with either 1 or 2 loans signings which is the right balance and we aren't over reliant on loans like under Mowbray time here. 

on the numbers debate a number of those players have been replace in the squad by our young players like Vale, Phillips, Adam Wharton and Garrett. 

1 hour ago, S8 & Blue said:

What we need is a European scout scout

We are currently advertising for that role after Mowbray got rid of it last summer. 

1 hour ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Anyone idea of who the third player is?? I presume we must of been in talks for a while if JDT is saying he expects 3 players…

Is a forward isn't it? I think its be striker and it will be permanent signing for 2 to 3 million. (just my opinion)

33 minutes ago, Swanson said:

Fredrik Bjørkan's loan move to Norwich still hasn't happend yet, Gregg should be on the phone.

What type of full back is he? who does he play for currently? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

What type of full back is he? who does he play for currently? 

An attacking one, think he has around 6 goals and 14 assists in 100 games for Bodø/Glimt.

He is currently third choice at Hertha Berlin and is available on loan, 24 years old.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mercer, I agree with you and I think alot will come down to where they want to raise their new born children(due in the next 7 months) and what his missus wants whether they want to stay UK based or live in Spain or France. 

I would say that Buckley has replace Rothwell in the playing role with Dack replace Buckley in the playing role cos we didn't really have Dack back last season. Look better this season even if not 100% yet

Van Hecke ain't coming here on a permanent contract Tom. This is why we moved on Hyam now which looks like happening now. 

Replaced

🤯

• Like 1