BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

5 mill (apparently) deal for a player who's had one good season at Portsmouth is a poor deal for us IMO. Considering he was in last year of his contract, looks like we've been bullied. Should be talking a few mill, tops. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, alexanders said:

At the moment his wage is ZERO, NADA, NIX 

He has just had his Chelsea contract paid up so had 3 years of wages into his account in one go. 

If he wants to rebuild his career, dropping out of the limelight into the Championship does make sense. If Big Sam was here I would say we would have signed him, now we will be a fair bit down the list.

It would be amusing if it did happen for the response on thekitguy.

1 minute ago, TruRover said:

We will only be paying 5m if he shows he is worth it in the championship. If he’s not, we don’t pay it.

I don’t know why this is so hard to understand. 

The issue is if he is bang average and we do pay it I suppose. Although you’d like to think that wouldn’t happen

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Literally, if he scores 20 goals for us we sign him for £5m and then has a sellable value of £20m

The thing I can't get my head around is why would Leicester put a clause like that in to limit the upside for them? I suppose it must be we have refused to take him on loan unless a buy clause is in there, and we are the best prospective club from Leicester's perspective for some reason. I guess we could be we are offering to pay a higher % of his wages if the clause is in there or something?

Contracts are getting more and more complex... Big winners must be the lawyers.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

And how do we afford that?

More likely is we put him in the shop window, he does alright and then another Championship club comes in with the money more quickly than we do.

From next season budget JHRover. Have you read posts from @philiand @glen9mullanregarding our wage structure and transfer budget with around 10 million for the season

Its a loan deal with option to buy which means that we have first option to buy for a fixed price. It's fairly simple deal. 

Does well here we sign him, if we don't we haven't wasted 5 million on him

30 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Sounds like we are doing exactly what you say we aren't doing - gambling this season on a player we aren't sure about and seeing how it goes.

So if he's a dud we've jeopardised our season, we aren't sure about him but if he comes in and does well we might then decide to offer paying a fee for. Then if we do get to that point he will have to fit into our wage structure and transfer budget (unlikely even as a Leicester reserve).

I suppose I'm just disappointed, that after all the talk of projects, multi-year builds and the optimism I had when Broughton and JDT came in of doing things differently and actually building something transfers like this are exactly like we have done previously under Bowyer and Mowbray - filling the squad out with temporary hopeful solutions and then go again next summer. It isn't building anything because even if he's a worldbeater we get to next summer with no Brereton and this loan ending and need at least 2 additions up top on top of everything else still with limited resources.

Every signing is a gamble and we don't know if he will perform here. 

JDT and GB are doing things very different signings 3 permanent signings for cash which you said we wouldn't do this season. Blimey we sign 1 loan player and possible another which is very different from Mowbray's approach. all 3 permanent signed have played in the championship before. Older than we tend to go for when Mowbray was here,  

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Well done. You've really made the messageboard a better place.

There's absolutely no chance that he will, but I really hope that Barkley signs so that you look like even more of a prat.

It's also why the fake ITK stuff is even more annoying. You can claim it was to 'out' people, but if it had happened before you decided to 'come clean' then you would have probably basked in the limelight.

You’re making the mistake of thinking that everyone that posts on here is dealing with a full deck. Some obviously aren’t.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Neal said:

5 mill (apparently) deal for a player who's had one good season at Portsmouth is a poor deal for us IMO. Considering he was in last year of his contract, looks like we've been bullied. Should be talking a few mill, tops. 

How so?We only pay the £5 Million(,if that is the fee) if he is a success next season and we choose to do so.

The club put a cash offer in that Leicester turned down .Surely the club are being clever here by trying him out before committing to such a fee

• Like 1

Just now, islander200 said:

How so?We only pay the £5 Million(,if that is the fee) if he is a success next season and we choose to do so.

The club put a cash offer in that Leicester turned down .Surely the club are being clever here by trying him out before committing to such a fee

If only a few other transfers had have been done under a similar arrangement. One or two of our recent signings would have been back at their original clubs.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

And if he scores 20 goals in the Championship?

"if" he does that well then he's worth what Armstrong and Brereton are/were valued at and we've done well

But the key word is "if".

15 minutes ago, TruRover said:

We will only be paying 5m if he shows he is worth it in the championship. If he’s not, we don’t pay it.

I don’t know why this is so hard to understand. 

Like Gallagher you mean?l

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If only a few other transfers had have been done under a similar arrangement. One or two of our recent signings would have been back at their original clubs.

Wonder if this also puts impetus on the player to perform better as he would want to secure the move.

1 minute ago, 47er said:

"if" he does that well then he's worth what Armstrong and Brereton are/were valued at and we've done well

But that’s the nature of the market at the moment for the Championship. How many teams have signed an out and out goalscorer permanently? There won’t be many.

It’s always a risk. At least we’re trying before we’re buying. If it doesn’t work, we don’t pay. Better than having someone on the books that we’ve massively paid over the odds for and can’t hit a a barn door.

15 minutes ago, 47er said:

Well no it won't be like Gallagher.We couldn't go back on that deal.

If Hirst doesn't perform then we are under no obligation to keep him.We send him back.

It's only if We are happy the deal becomes permanent