BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Such a major decision goes against the idea that the introduction of Broughton has created a significant change in tying down assets effectively.

He arrived too late in the day to have any impact on that decision. If he had been here 12 months ago maybe a change of heart could have happened. You can’t blame Broughton for the previous failures of the club. It’s what happens now and in the future he will be judged on

20 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Such a major decision goes against the idea that the introduction of Broughton has created a significant change in tying down assets effectively.

It doesn't. The failure with BBD was not offering him a new contract after he first got selected by Chile. That's not on GB as he wasn't at the club then. BBD is now possibly out of our price range contract-wise. Again, that's not on GB. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Yet Brereton was kept at the cost of potentially a 8 figure fee.

We had 6 million bids for Brererton from Nice and Fulham you think we should have sold our only regular goalscorer for such a pitiful sum?

JDT didn't want Brererton sold.Wasnt that your complaint in January that the owners overruled the manager over a transfer of a player?

JDT wanted Nyambe to stay. Broughton himself said he was going to speak with Nyambe. Yet the offer on the table for Nyambe was withdrawn. By who?

JDT wanted experienced players to come in during the window just gone. Broughton failed to deliver on that front.

JDT wanted 2 or 3 signings post Hyam's arrival. Broughton got him Mola on loan.

Kudos to Broughton though. I don't know what for, but kudos to him.

• Like 1

Of course Brereton should have had a contract agreed earlier, but this summer we was dealt with a situation of either selling or keeping and losing any fee. Nice offered 10 million euros but I have little doubt that had our stance been less rigid (high asking price, meet it exactly or he stays) that we could have got more.

We have essentially paid a big fee in an opportunity cost to loan Brereton for a season, a season in which many have written off as a transitional one. Its bonkers.

The owners should never overrule the manager. Tomasson is never going to say that he wants Brereton out and he also regularly mentioned understanding if he did go. Whoever has had the final decision to keep/set a high asking price has made a stupid decision.

31 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

JDT wanted Nyambe to stay. Broughton himself said he was going to speak with Nyambe. Yet the offer on the table for Nyambe was withdrawn. By who?

JDT wanted experienced players to come in during the window just gone. Broughton failed to deliver on that front.

We signed Hirst after Hyam.A player JDT had spoken too weeks prior to him signing. 

Didn't Nyambe himself say he wanted a new challenge?

It's not exactly Broughtons fault that we didn't land our first choice targets either.Hardly his fault that Sheff United and Rangers offered more lucrative deals to Anel and Davies.Broughton has to work to the budget that is set by the owners .

People are saying Kudos to Broughton IF Wharton and Phillips sign new contracts.

Edited by islander200

18 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

That was my point, yes. Not like certain people to twist it in order to have their daily gripe though.

You implied that the "penny has dropped" with Broughton. Whilst new deals for Wharton and Phillips would be welcomed, ultimately the biggest decision this summer was the Brereton one and we have chosen not to cash in, similarly to last season with the 3 that left, all of whom combined werent as valuable as Brereton.

Until we stop allowing this to happen then I dont see how the penny has dropped. Last season we chose to cash in on Armstrong rather than letting him running his contract down as well as giving new deals to Travis, Kaminski and Gallagher so even prior to Broughton contractually it wasnt a total disaster.

19 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You implied that the "penny has dropped" with Broughton. Whilst new deals for Wharton and Phillips would be welcomed, ultimately the biggest decision this summer was the Brereton one and we have chosen not to cash in, similarly to last season with the 3 that left, all of whom combined werent as valuable as Brereton.

Until we stop allowing this to happen then I dont see how the penny has dropped. Last season we chose to cash in on Armstrong rather than letting him running his contract down as well as giving new deals to Travis, Kaminski and Gallagher so even prior to Broughton contractually it wasnt a total disaster.

Isn't that the point he was making though...if your assets are under long term contracts then situations like Brererton, Rothwell, Lenihen and Nyambe won't happen. 

Wharton and Phillips will have premier league admirers already so if they pen long term deals then Broughton does deserve some credit for that. 

Clubs knew Brerertons contract situation all summer and only bids reported came in the final 10 days of the window.

Last season we got the fee for Armstrong,this year clubs taking the piss with the bids and trying to force our hand.

You reckon we should be aiming to better last season's 8th place finish and that's with losing 4 regulars from last seasons team.You also acknowledge that the team isn't blessed with goalscorers but yet you think we should have sold our only source of consistent goals for below his value with a few days left in the window. 

Edited by islander200
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Isn't that the point he was making though...if your assets are under long term contracts then situations like Brererton, Rothwell, Lenihen and Nyambe won't happen. 

Wharton and Phillips will have premier league admirers already so if they pen long term deals then Broughton does deserve some credit for that. 

Clubs knew Brerertons contract situation all summer and only bids reported came in the final 10 days of the window.

Last season we got the fee for Armstrong,this year clubs taking the piss with the bids and trying to force our hand.

You reckon we should be aiming to better last season's 8th place finish and that's with losing 4 regulars from last seasons team.You also acknowledge that the team isn't blessed with goalscorers but yet you think we should have sold our only source of consistent goals for below his value with a few days left in the window. 

Spot on

12 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Even if you assume that we couldnt have possibly got a bid of over 10 million euros, then even that makes sense to take and reinvest. Would you pay that amount to loan a goalscorer for a season? 

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Even if you assume that we couldnt have possibly got a bid of over 10 million euros, then even that makes sense to take and reinvest. Would you pay that amount to loan a goalscorer for a season? 

With the wages we pay we ain't bringing in a guaranteed goalscorer with a few days remaining in the window even if we were to use the whole 10 million euro on an individual replacement.

How long did it take Arma and Brererton before they developed into regular goalscorers?

I wouldn't have dealt for that price with such little time left in the window with the current situation the club finds itself in.

We already had to find replacements for the 4 other departures who were regulars last season 5 if you include Khadra.

Add to that a new manager with no experience in the Championship it would have been too much of a gamble to part with Brererton at such a late stage without even making a profit on what we paid for him in the first place.With some of the other fees paid out for other players this summer even with his contract situation £15 million would have been a fair price

Just now, islander200 said:

With the wages we pay we ain't bringing in a guaranteed goalscorer with a few days remaining in the window even if we were to use the whole 10 million euro on an individual replacement.

How long did it take Arma and Brererton before they developed into regular goalscorers?

I wouldn't have dealt for that price with such little time left in the window with the current situation the club finds itself in.

We already had to find replacements for the 4 other departures who were regulars last season 5 if you include Khadra.

Add to that a new manager with no experience in the Championship it would have been too much of a gamble to part with Brererton at such a late stage without even making a profit on what we paid for him in the first place.With some of the other fees paid out for other players this summer even with his contract situation £15 million would have been a fair price

Its irrelevant what random figure we deemed to be fair and its cutting off our nose to spite our face to hold that attitude. We have loaned Brereton for a minimum of £8.4m, most likely more. That cant be justified.

There should have been a target lined up ready to instantly get a deal done once he left, regardless of how late, although the Nice offer was weeks before the deadline. The other replacements for other players had already been sourced.

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Its irrelevant what random figure we deemed to be fair and its cutting off our nose to spite our face to hold that attitude. We have loaned Brereton for a minimum of £8.4m, most likely more. That cant be justified.

There should have been a target lined up ready to instantly get a deal done once he left, regardless of how late, although the Nice offer was weeks before the deadline. The other replacements for other players had already been sourced.

Is it your money?No saying the owners won't give money for a replacement next season.

Who did we sell to buy Brererton.

Like I said I wouldn't have sold that late in the window.I disagree with you.The end.

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The owners decided not to sell because the bidders didn't meet the asking price. That's all there is to it, and it has nothing to do with GB. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, islander200 said:

Wasnt that your complaint in January that the owners overruled the manager over a transfer of a player?

Whilst you’re discussing strikers and the month of January on the wider point.

Didn’t you tell me Mowbray never tried to sign a striker in January islander? 

Edited by Gav

5 minutes ago, Gav said:

Whilst you’re discussing strikers on the wider point.

Didn’t you tell me Mowbray never tried to sign a striker in January islander? 

No I said Mowbray said he didn't think a striker was needed after being offered premier league attacking players on loan.

Mowbrays words not mine.

6 minutes ago, islander200 said:

No I said Mowbray said he didn't think a striker was needed after being offered premier league attacking players on loan.

Mowbrays words not mine.

I wonder why he bid for one then? 

Just thought I’d make that point, as you were adamant he didn’t.

7 minutes ago, Gav said:

Who did he bid for Gav? 

Sure weren't you telling us all we couldn't bring in Maja because we didn't have the money and Bordeaux only wanted a permanent deal.

You were saying this even after he joined Stoke on a straight up loan deal with no obligation to buy him when the loan ended 

Edited by islander200

6 hours ago, Tugayisgod said:

Plenty of people critical of the previous regime in allowing (whether by design or not), players contracts to expire. Finally with GB it seems the penny has dropped and the new policy is to be proactive rather than reactive. Not before time but kudos to Broughton for this. 

It's Venkys. One regime. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Who did he bid for Gav? 

Sure weren't you telling us all we couldn't bring in Maja because we didn't have the money and Bordeaux only wanted a permanent deal.

You were saying this even after he joined Stoke on a straight up loan deal with no obligation to buy him when the loan ended 

You do understand that player deals are unique to each club negotiating.

Bordeaux wanted money from us for Maja, but as the clock ticked down let Maja go to Stoke for nothing, to remove the wage overhead?

Khedra came here last season for no loan fee only wages, Sheff Utd have paid a loan fee to secure his services this season.

11 minutes ago, Gav said:

You do understand that player deals are unique to each club negotiating.

Bordeaux wanted money from us for Maja, but as the clock ticked down let Maja go to Stoke for nothing, to remove the wage overhead?

Khedra came here last season for no loan fee only wages, Sheff Utd have paid a loan fee to secure his services this season.

Where have you got this that Mowbray said he bid for a striker in January? You still not said .Can you point me toward the link or interview where Mowbray said he bid for a striker in January?

You don't know any of that regarding Maja.You don't know that we even made a move for Maja in January.

You take Sharpe's words as gospel and his words at the time were "My understanding Is Bordeaux will only entertain a permanent deal for Maja"

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Of course Brereton should have had a contract agreed earlier, but this summer we was dealt with a situation of either selling or keeping and losing any fee. Nice offered 10 million euros but I have little doubt that had our stance been less rigid (high asking price, meet it exactly or he stays) that we could have got more.

We have essentially paid a big fee in an opportunity cost to loan Brereton for a season, a season in which many have written off as a transitional one. Its bonkers.

The owners should never overrule the manager. Tomasson is never going to say that he wants Brereton out and he also regularly mentioned understanding if he did go. Whoever has had the final decision to keep/set a high asking price has made a stupid decision.

Rovers offered BBD a contract about 18 months ago, but he hasn't sign it yet. Rovers will start talks with him and his agent agin over another contract extension. He might stay or he might want to leave next summer for a move to Sevilla or Valencia. 

The Nice and Sevilla offers of 8.4 million pounds for BBD were rightly rejected as our valuation was much higher than that and I'm pleased we didn't sell him cheap or just to bring some money cos his goals and his important to this club is worth more than that. 

Fulham came in with 10 million pounds which was 6 million up front, with 4 mil in add on's on Wednesday Night when we played Blackpool. Again, that offer was rejected which I agree with. 

You have mention this point several times now about us getting more money than we were offered but No club bid more so where were these offers then? Which clubs were offering us more? 

3 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

By GB and JDT after he didn't want to stay here. Is he really a big miss cos for me he isn't. 

We did bring in experience players like Brittain, Hyam and Szmodics. 

We signed Hirst and Mola after Hyam signing

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I'm sure Rovers did have targets in mind but when Fulham and Leeds came bidding on the last day it was far too late for business to get done. 

44 minutes ago, Gav said:

Who did Mowbray bid for then? cos I believe Rovers were offer a couple of strikers on loan from PL clubs but Mowbray said we didn't need one? Then we all know what happened then, Mowbray's regular post-Christmas losing streak and continuous tactical tinkering 

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rovers offered BBD a contract about 18 months ago, but he hasn't sign it yet. Rovers will start talks with him and his agent agin over another contract extension. He might stay or he might want to leave next summer for a move to Sevilla or Valencia. 

The Nice and Sevilla offers of 8.4 million pounds for BBD were rightly rejected as our valuation was much higher than that and I'm pleased we didn't sell him cheap or just to bring some money cos his goals and his important to this club is worth more than that. 

Fulham came in with 10 million pounds which was 6 million up front, with 4 mil in add on's on Wednesday Night when we played Blackpool. Again, that offer was rejected which I agree with. 

You have mention this point several times now about us getting more money than we were offered but No club bid more so where were these offers then? Which clubs were offering us more? 

By GB and JDT after he didn't want to stay here. Is he really a big miss cos for me he isn't. 

We did bring in experience players like Brittain, Hyam and Szmodics. 

We signed Hirst and Mola after Hyam signing

I'm sure Rovers did have targets in mind but when Fulham and Leeds came bidding on the last day it was far too late for business to get done. 

Who did Mowbray bid for then? cos I believe Rovers were offer a couple of strikers on loan from PL clubs but Mowbray said we didn't need one? Then we all know what happened then, Mowbray's regular post-Christmas losing streak and continuous tactical tinkering 

He wont sign a new contract so we have essentially paid at least 10 million euros to loan him for a season in which many dont seem to have genuine ambitions of promotion.