BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

He wont sign a new contract so we have essentially paid at least 10 million euros to loan him for a season in which many dont seem to have genuine ambitions of promotion.

I don't know whether he will sign a new contract or not, but neither should we have sold him on the cheap like you are suggesting you would have done. Rovers were right to reject those 10 million or less bids for him. 

19 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't know whether he will sign a new contract or not, but neither should we have sold him on the cheap like you are suggesting you would have done. Rovers were right to reject those 10 million or less bids for him. 

£10m is almost certainly better than one solitary extra season with Brereton.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

£10m is almost certainly better than one solitary extra season with Brereton.

Not for me, cos he is our best attacking player, goal scorer, international player and worth more to the team here than not. For me, Rovers were right for the stance and rejecting these low offers. 

Fulham's bid was with add on's so no guarantee of the full 10 million being pay, so we were right to rejected it. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gav said:

@glen9mullan Or @unleaded did you mention a striker we bid for in January 22? 

Gav, we were offered strikers in January but Mowbray said we don't need one. 

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19898505.tony-mowbray-explains-blackburn-rovers-didnt-sign-striker/

From the link Rovers were offered several chances to add a No.9 to their ranks in January but Tony Mowbray saw no reason to move away from the way of playing that has brought them so much success.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, islander200 said:

We signed Hirst after Hyam.A player JDT had spoken too weeks prior to him signing. 

Didn't Nyambe himself say he wanted a new challenge?

It's not exactly Broughtons fault that we didn't land our first choice targets either.Hardly his fault that Sheff United and Rangers offered more lucrative deals to Anel and Davies.Broughton has to work to the budget that is set by the owners .

People are saying Kudos to Broughton IF Wharton and Phillips sign new contracts.

You don't seriously believe that a nondescript forward like Hirst was a JDT signing and somebody he wanted all along, do you? He's a cheap stopgap signing who doesn't block the pathway for Vale.

In terms of Nyambe, we had posters on here, who some may see as 'ITK', happily claiming that an offer was withdrawn from Nyambe. This was also used as a point to big up GB. "Haha, we called his bluff, his agent's a clown, the best he could do was Wigan, haha". That was the gist of the comments.

Well, who's laughing now (not saying you were) when we're playing all sorts at RB out of desperation and getting outplayed in games? Add in the fact that JDT wanted Nyambe to stay. Suddenly, it doesn't look like such a "well in, Gregg" move.

Nyambe saying he wanted a new challenge might just be typical footballer speak and him putting a brave face on the situation, IMO.

On the last line, I can't give kudos to somebody based on a scenario that hasn't happened yet. That too, to a person who, IMO, has significantly downgraded the quality of our squad through poor signings (not deliberately, obviously) and whose philosophy will lower the standards even further and have us potentially set for a return to League One football soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Not for me, cos he is our best attacking player, goal scorer, international player and worth more to the team here than not. For me, Rovers were right for the stance and rejecting these low offers. 

Fulham's bid was with add on's so no guarantee of the full 10 million being pay, so we were right to rejected it. 

His value to us for one season isnt 10 million, ie if we loaned him for that amount for a season, there would justifiably be uproar.

2 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

On the last line, I can't give kudos to somebody based on a scenario that hasn't happened yet. That too, to a person who, IMO, has significantly downgraded the quality of our squad through poor signings (not deliberately, obviously) and whose philosophy will lower the standards even further and have us potentially set for a return to League One football soon.

That seems a remarkable assessment at this stage. Brittain looks good enough, Hyam hasn't done anything wrong and comes well-rated. Szmodics is a question mark for sure and a slightly odd signing. The others we don't own, but can buy 2 of the 3 later. Morton has looked average but is young. Mola we haven't seen yet and Hirst we've seen just over a half. So far I don't think it's the quality that has been poor but the quantity. But time will tell with all of them.

5 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

You don't seriously believe that a nondescript forward like Hirst was a JDT signing and somebody he wanted all along, do you? He's a cheap stopgap signing who doesn't block the pathway for Vale.

In terms of Nyambe, we had posters on here, who some may see as 'ITK', happily claiming that an offer was withdrawn from Nyambe. This was also used as a point to big up GB. "Haha, we called his bluff, his agent's a clown, the best he could do was Wigan, haha". That was the gist of the comments.

Well, who's laughing now (not saying you were) when we're playing all sorts at RB out of desperation and getting outplayed in games? Add in the fact that JDT wanted Nyambe to stay. Suddenly, it doesn't look like such a "well in, Gregg" move.

Nyambe saying he wanted a new challenge might just be typical footballer speak and him putting a brave face on the situation, IMO.

I very much doubt you have seen enough of Hirst to make such a statement.

If he is just a stop gap to not block Vales pathway , then why did we try to buy him permanently at first?And now have an option to make it permanent at the end of the loan.

Hirsts signing will be driven by Data and I see similarities with Brererton, an attacker who was extremely highly rated in his youth but has taken time to get to grips with men's football.A level below I know but he is off the back of an excellent season at Pompey and Leicester clearly think he is worth a bit of money.

For me Hyam looks every bit as good as Lenihen and although I was a fan of Nyambe and wanted him to stay I do prefer Brittain and I would have said that even if asked last season when Brittain was still a Barnsley player. Szmodic looks an odd signing but not many in the game have a 100% record of not making mistakes in the transfer market.

I think you are being harsh on Broughton.You say his philosophy but as stated by both him and JDT they are working to the "owners vision".

At the end of the day cash is king and Broughton can not be blamed for our first choice targets going elsewhere when other clubs offer money that we can't match.

I'm not saying Broughton will definitely be a success but I honestly don't think a proper judgement can be made after this window. He came late into the job, working with existing data and recruitment staff from the Mowbray era.He has appointed a new head of recruitment and a new European head scout is on the agenda.

From day one you have had it in for him.You even tried pin Luton's relegations on him as one of the reasons you think he is substandard.

True, I did say giving him kudos IF Wharton and Phillips sign long term.

Again not saying he will be the answer, not saying he won't be shit but I do think statements like you are making  with such certainty after such a short period of time is a bit ridiculous.

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Gav, we were offered strikers in January but Mowbray said we don't need one. 

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19898505.tony-mowbray-explains-blackburn-rovers-didnt-sign-striker/

From the link Rovers were offered several chances to add a No.9 to their ranks in January but Tony Mowbray saw no reason to move away from the way of playing that has brought them so much success.

Nice one Chaddy saved me a job.Gav talking nonsense 

Edited by islander200

I often see comparisons being made between ourselves and Middlesbrough on here and why we don't spend like they do.

Middlesbrough is a working class area also.They are averaging gates of 26k this season ,11 or 12 thousand more than ourselves.Their cheapest adult season ticket is £560 and their highest is £700+.A match day ticket to watch them v Rotherham is £32.

Don't get me wrong I think our pricing is wrong and more should be done to get fans into the ground but it shows what we are competing with and why the like of Boro can pay more wages than us.

People will probably point me toward Preston ,Wigan and Bolton and how those clubs manage to get fans in the ground but all due respect they are not as active as us in the transfer market and don't run wage bills as big as ours, even after we cut ours drastically 

12 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

There’s more chance of you signing a contract with Rovers than Brererton signing on again.

13 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

Of course he is, Chaddy. Especially now. Would you rather have Travis, Buckley or Carter at right back over Nyambe? I certainly wouldn't.

Nyambe wouldn't have stayed as backup player firstly, we signed Brittain who will be very good signing here, and I have said I would keep James Brown instead of loaning him out. 

13 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

His value to us for one season isnt 10 million, ie if we loaned him for that amount for a season, there would justifiably be uproar.

We aren't going to agree on this are we? You would have taken a lower offer whilst I wouldn't have done, and I think we were right to reject all offers cos they were way below our valuation of the player, and I have mention to 4 different factors why I believe he is worth more than what teams were offering. Also, Teams like Everton, Leeds and Fulham knew what the price was so Offer so low offer would be reject was clear all summer. 

7 hours ago, islander200 said:

Nice one Chaddy saved me a job.Gav talking nonsense 

No problem at all, 👍

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There’s more chance of you signing a contract with Rovers than Brereton signing on again.

Well Tyrone, we will have to see in the coming weeks and months. I know that Rovers will try to get him to sign new contract in the coming months, but like I have said I think he will pre contract with a Spanish Club in January

5 hours ago, islander200 said:

I often see comparisons being made between ourselves and Middlesbrough on here and why we don't spend like they do.

Middlesbrough is a working class area also.They are averaging gates of 26k this season ,11 or 12 thousand more than ourselves.Their cheapest adult season ticket is £560 and their highest is £700+.A match day ticket to watch them v Rotherham is £32.

Don't get me wrong I think our pricing is wrong and more should be done to get fans into the ground but it shows what we are competing with and why the like of Boro can pay more wages than us.

People will probably point me toward Preston ,Wigan and Bolton and how those clubs manage to get fans in the ground but all due respect they are not as active as us in the transfer market and don't run wage bills as big as ours, even after we cut ours drastically 

The main thing we do that hinders our financial ability to compete is the decision to stubbornly decline offers for players who we then allow to run their contracts down. The key is profiting on players continuously, we have never done that under Venkys.

On the transfers from the summer, gaps at centre back and right back were obvious and seem to have been filled well. I think we were crying out for experience in midfield and Morton has not impressed so far, I would question whether he was fit for purpose in terms of what we needed there. Szmodics again I agree, questions there, the biggest fee, was it spent wisely?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The main thing we do that hinders our financial ability to compete is the decision to stubbornly decline offers for players who we then allow to run their contracts down. The key is profiting on players continuously, we have never done that under Venkys.

But would you not agree that selling players on the cheap shouldn't be accept either? We got AA money of around 10 money to cover their losses last season I would have thought so off. 

27 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

On the transfers from the summer, gaps at centre back and right back were obvious and seem to have been filled well. I think we were crying out for experience in midfield and Morton has not impressed so far, I would question whether he was fit for purpose in terms of what we needed there. Szmodics again I agree, questions there, the biggest fee, was it spent wisely?

Did Morton not impress against Blackpool a couple of weeks ago? or did he not a good game at Bradford away? 

We have to judge Szmodics over the season surely? 

37 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

In general I agree with you that we should start selling players and reinvesting the money.Iv said that many times on here. 

I just disagree with Brererton this summer due to the poor offers and the lateness of them.Plus Dack aside who is back after 2 years injured we have no other goalscorers in the squad . 

Even if a target was identified no guarantee they would come in and take over the goal scoring mantle.Take the goals Brererton provides away and a relegation battle would have been on this season.

No player should be allowed to go into their final year, if no contract signed at the very latest with 18 month on their deal then we should be looking to move them on and use the money for replacement. 

At the moment though the contract situation looks like it's being dealt with ,Travis Kaminski , Buckley and Gallagher on longish enough deals.With A Wharton set to follow.

Morton was alright against Blackpool but has looked a little lost in the other matches and I did agree with you in the summer that we needed another midfielder with more experience after he was signed 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

Hirst was our first choice striker all summer and from comments from JDT and Hirst this deal has been pipeline for a number of weeks. This is loan to buy which is sensible and logically move by us. If he performs, we sign him. This signing shouldn't block Jack Vale pathway has they are our main 2 strikers at the minute

14 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

Aren't Hyam and Brittain upgrades on Lenihan(given his form at Boro currently) and Nyambe(who left us for cheap 1 year deal at Wigan)? is Morton downgrade on Johnson or Davenport? not for me. Too early to judge Hirst or Mola yet. I want to see more of Szmodics before passing comment on the overall signing 

8 hours ago, islander200 said:

I think you are being harsh on Broughton. You say his philosophy but as stated by both him and JDT they are working to the "owners vision".

At the end of the day cash is king and Broughton can not be blamed for our first choice targets going elsewhere when other clubs offer money that we can't match.

I'm not saying Broughton will definitely be a success but I honestly don't think a proper judgement can be made after this window. He came late into the job, working with existing data and recruitment staff from the Mowbray era.He has appointed a new head of recruitment and a new European head scout is on the agenda.

From day one you have had it in for him.You even tried pin Luton's relegations on him as one of the reasons you think he is substandard.

Agree with all this and I can't believe how he is being towards Gregg Broughton who for me has a very positive impact on the club since his appointment. Seems to be making good appointments to the staff of the football side of the club

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

But would you not agree that selling players on the cheap shouldn't be accept either? We got AA money of around 10 money to cover their losses last season I would have thought so off. 

Did Morton not impress against Blackpool a couple of weeks ago? or did he not a good game at Bradford away? 

We have to judge Szmodics over the season surely? 

But its impossible to define cheap. Ultimately this summer we were left with a big decision but its irrelevant what we think he might be worth in normal circumstances, we either could take perhaps a slightly reduced fee which is still a big chunk of money or just let him go for free.

We judge everyone over the season, but we are discussing now. Equally, Hyam and Brittain might make loads of mistakes and prove not to be the sensible additions that we think. My comments on Szmodics are based around the fee (half of our budget) his position in terms of whether we needed to spend so much there and also on his poor track record at this level.

3 minutes ago, islander200 said:

In general I agree with you that we should start selling players and reinvesting the money.Iv said that many times on here. 

I just disagree with Brererton this summer due to the poor offers and the lateness of them.Plus Dack aside who is back after 2 years injured we have no other goalscorers in the squad . 

Even if a target was identified no guarantee they would come in and take over the goal scoring mantle.Take the goals Brererton provides away and a relegation battle would have been on this season.

No player should be allowed to go into their final year, if no contract signed at the very latest with 18 month on their deal then we should be looking to move them on and use the money for replacement. 

At the moment though the contract situation looks like it's being dealt with ,Travis Kaminski , Buckley and Gallagher on longish enough deals.With A Wharton set to follow.

Morton was alright against Blackpool but has looked a little lost in the other matches and I did agree with you in the summer that we needed another midfielder with more experience after he was signed 

There would never be a guarantee of a goalscorer coming in but it would be a much easier task with the majority of say £10m than it would be with nothing. We are going to be left with the same issue next summer but be in a worse position to deal with it. 

You mentioned that the owners may decide to chuck loads of money on a new striker regardless but it is this lack of joined up thinking (within the club, not you) that sums up how inefficient we are. No more moaning of FFP when we are wasting such big opportunities for reinvestment, we could have had at least £13/14m in the last year.

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Hirst was our first choice striker all summer and from comments from JDT and Hirst this deal has been pipeline for a number of weeks. This is loan to buy which is sensible and logically move by us. If he performs, we sign him. This signing shouldn't block Jack Vale pathway has they are our main 2 strikers at the minute

Aren't Hyam and Brittain upgrades on Lenihan(given his form at Boro currently) and Nyambe(who left us for cheap 1 year deal at Wigan)? is Morton downgrade on Johnson or Davenport? not for me. Too early to judge Hirst or Mola yet. I want to see more of Szmodics before passing comment on the overall signing 

Agree with all this and I can't believe how he is being towards Gregg Broughton who for me has a very positive impact on the club since his appointment. Seems to be making good appointments to the staff of the football side of the club

He may have been first choice but Tomasson is never going to say "well we didn't want Hirst but we will make do now our main targets have gone elsewhere" is he?

Surely Morton has replaced Rothwell? And why is your attitude either that you decide now that they are good signings ie Hyam and Brittain but if there are doubts, you refuse to pass comment? Surely you either wait to judge them all or you pass comment on them now, both positively and negatively where applicable?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

But its impossible to define cheap. Ultimately this summer we were left with a big decision but its irrelevant what we think he might be worth in normal circumstances, we either could take perhaps a slightly reduced fee which is still a big chunk of money or just let him go for free.

For me, we made the right decisions to reject these lower offers in my opinion for him considering he scored 22 goals last season, is international player scoring goals at that level, one of our key players and how much a good replacement would cost. 

He might leave in January which we haven't mention yet. 

We judge everyone over the season, but we are discussing now. Equally, Hyam and Brittain might make loads of mistakes and prove not to be the sensible additions that we think. My comments on Szmodics are based around the fee (half of our budget) his position in terms of whether we needed to spend so much there and also on his poor track record at this level.

I'm confident that Hyam and Brittain will be good signings and my opinion is based on their performances I've seen this season and before they joined here. 

That a fair point on fee and his record at this level but clearly Rovers scouts, GB and JDT have seen things they like about the players and the attributes he can bring to the team and impact on the season, but my own opinion is I want to see more of him playing and playing the role he was signed for. 

I also think we have money left over to spend in January. 

There would never be a guarantee of a goalscorer coming in but it would be a much easier task with the majority of say £10m than it would be with nothing. We are going to be left with the same issue next summer but be in a worse position to deal with it. 

If you replacing him then would you go for goal scorer striker for Healey or Maja for example purpose only or left side attacker like Dembele or Lowe from Bournemouth for example purpose only?