BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Fair play for showing his face but I can tell from listening for a minute or two that its just the usual platitudes, Waggott is great, Tomasson is great, the owners are great, everything is great. Always going to be the case, especially on official channels which to an extent is fair enough.

He won't be asked tough questions despite mentioning FFP early, ie how can Brereton's stay possibly be justified in line with that? How can teams like Brentford be mentioned yet we don't sell our assets AND reinvest.

On the transfer front, was Hirst really Tomasson's first choice? Why was Morton the only addition to an area in which we are so light and lacking in physicality and experience? What made us spend so much of our budget on an attacking midfielder with a questionable track record, and how can he not make the bench now others are fit? What is the expectation of Mola? How much money was left in the pot on the last day? How much of the Brereton funds would have been available had we sold him? And crucially, what exactly is the process in picking and signing players?

Off the field, mention Preston etc in the North West, our prices are much higher and our figures are lower, why is nothing done?

Yes because every team discloses how much money is left in the pot etc 🤦‍♂️

13 hours ago, SoldierMo said:

Yes because every team discloses how much money is left in the pot etc 🤦‍♂️

I never said that they should, in fact I said that I understand why you get a video like that on official channels, and indeed it would be unwise to say our targets were not first choice, if they feel any where perhaps unwise signings etc. My point was more that because they are only going to say things that paint the club in the best possible light and blowing smoke up the owners arses means that such a video is very limited in use.

2nd video of the interview with Gregg gives a lot more insight than we've probably ever had before into any transfer window. Credit to the club and Gregg for being as open as they are in it. Sounds like SVDB really pissed us about in the end given how much of the loan process was completed 

12 minutes ago, alex l said:

2nd video of the interview with Gregg gives a lot more insight than we've probably ever had before into any transfer window. Credit to the club and Gregg for being as open as they are in it. Sounds like SVDB really pissed us about in the end given how much of the loan process was completed 

Talks a lot of sense. Thought the first interview was interesting and the second one was really good. The way we operate with our owners creating valuations for key players is pretty bonkers, it sounds like BBD’s potential sale is totally out of the DOF and managers hands. 

I have only watched the first part of the Gregg Broughton's interview and I thought he came across very well and very insightful of the start of his reign as Director of Football. His comments are most than welcome. He also said he speaks directly to the owners and doesn't have to go through Steve Waggott to them. He says the owners have backed him and JDT in every way possible. 

22 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Fair play for showing his face but I can tell from listening for a minute or two that its just the usual platitudes, Waggott is great, Tomasson is great, the owners are great, everything is great. Always going to be the case, especially on official channels which to an extent is fair enough.

To be honest, it's time that Rovers used their own channels including Rovers TV for interviews with Gregg Broughton, Jon Dahl Tomasson and Steve Waggott for a prime example. 

He won't be asked tough questions despite mentioning FFP early, ie how can Brereton's stay possibly be justified in line with that? How can teams like Brentford be mentioned yet we don't sell our assets AND reinvest.

Hasn't this question already by Rovers that no club met our asking price, and we won't sell on the cheap like you suggested that you would have accept an offer of below 10 million pounds. 

On the transfer front, was Hirst really Tomasson's first choice? Why was Morton the only addition to an area in which we are so light and lacking in physicality and experience? What made us spend so much of our budget on an attacking midfielder with a questionable track record, and how can he not make the bench now others are fit? What is the expectation of Mola? How much money was left in the pot on the last day? How much of the Brereton funds would have been available had we sold him? And crucially, what exactly is the process in picking and signing players?

I would imagine Gregg Broughton might answered in more detail in the second part of the interview but Rovers have explained in the statements on the website. 

i very doubt Gregg Broughton is going to talk publicly about how much is left in the pot and why would you make that public to other clubs and agents. Also, similar answer to the Brereton funds point. 

Gregg Broughton and Jon Dahl Tomasson explained fully how the process for recruiting and signing players happens when the were unveiled to the media in July. 

Off the field, mention Preston etc in the North West, our prices are much higher and our figures are lower, why is nothing done?

Why is that a question for Gregg Broughton since that not an area of the club he is responsible for? 

10 minutes ago, Mhead2 said:

The 600 games for Academy players is fine and dandy BUT the sign of a good Academy is the money it brings in for Academy players , as part of the finance and FFP equation.

Was Phil Jones the last one sold for an appreciable fee?

Raya?

@roversfan99have you watch the second part of the interview with Gregg Broughton yet? 

He explains how transfers are done and the process. Are you happy with the explanation or not? 

Having watch the second part of the interview now, he explains how George Hirst was our first choice striker signing, and it was Jon Dahl Tomasson who made him our first choice striker target. Five out of 6 summer signings were identified in early July and Rovers enquiry for these players very quickly. Sepp Van Der Berg was set to sign here until Liverpool stopped the deal. The medical was done aswell interviews and photos was done aswell for him. Rovers would like to have their shortlist for summer transfer target done by Easter and 2 or 3 players in before pre-season starts ideally (something to judge and know for future transfer windows). Rovers have advertised for Head of European Scouting now. Gregg Broughton met Ben Brereton Diaz and his agent early on after his appointment happen and they want to move if the right opportunity came along but he never asked to leave the club. Owners set the valuation on him, and no club got anywhere close to it with any offer. We only had offers in below 10 million pounds for him which were all rejected. He gives BBD huge credit for his attitude and performances so far and never once let any of the media speculation bother him or let it affect his performances  

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

@roversfan99have you watch the second part of the interview with Gregg Broughton yet? 

He explains how transfers are done and the process. Are you happy with the explanation or not? 

Having watch the second part of the interview now, he explains how George Hirst was our first choice striker signing, and it was Jon Dahl Tomasson who made him our first choice striker target. Five out of 6 summer signings were identified in early July and Rovers enquiry for these players very quickly. Sepp Van Der Berg was set to sign here until Liverpool stopped the deal. The medical was done aswell interviews and photos was done aswell for him. Rovers would like to have their shortlist for summer transfer target done by Easter and 2 or 3 players in before pre-season starts ideally (something to judge and know for future transfer windows). Rovers have advertised for Head of European Scouting now. Gregg Broughton met Ben Brereton Diaz and his agent early on after his appointment happen and they want to move if the right opportunity came along but he never asked to leave the club. Owners set the valuation on him, and no club got anywhere close to it with any offer. We only had offers in below 10 million pounds for him which were all rejected. He gives BBD huge credit for his attitude and performances so far and never once let any of the media speculation bother him or let it affect his performances  

What do you think about Gregg admitting that ultimately it’s the owners that decide whether or not players are sold? 

12 minutes ago, J*B said:

What do you think about Gregg admitting that ultimately it’s the owners that decide whether or not players are sold? 

It's how the owners want to run the club and I agree with Rovers rejecting the offers we had BBD cos they were well below Rovers valuation. Gregg Broughton agrees with their stance 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

It's how the owners want to run the club and I agree with Rovers rejecting the offers we had BBD cos they were well below Rovers valuation. Gregg Broughton agrees with their stance 

I know on both points, but my question is do you personally agree with that decision?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, J*B said:

I know on both points, but my question is do you personally agree with that decision?

In some ways yes but what I would like to know is how they reached their stance on what valuation is right for that player like BBD? is it done with Steve Waggott and other footballing people at the club? is it from Gregg Broughton and Jon Dahl Tomasson opinion cos JDT reckons he was worth more than that. That what we don't know 

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

In some ways yes but what I would like to know is how they reached their stance on what valuation is right for that player like BBD? is it done with Steve Waggott and other footballing people at the club? is it from Gregg Broughton and Jon Dahl Tomasson opinion cos JDT reckons he was worth more than that. That what we don't know 

I agree, hopefully they’re not just pulling numbers out with Pasha…

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

My point is that in public, club driven interviews, he is always going to make everything seem hunky dory and therefore there is a limited use to them and it is key to take everything with a pinch of salt. That isn't a criticism of anyone.

He is not going to say if and when there are disagreements on signings and he is not going to say about signings, "well our first 3 choices didn't happen so we had to settle for him."

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

My point is that in public, club driven interviews, he is always going to make everything seem hunky dory and therefore there is a limited use to them and it is key to take everything with a pinch of salt. That isn't a criticism of anyone.

He is not going to say if and when there are disagreements on signings and he is not going to say about signings, "well our first 3 choices didn't happen so we had to settle for him."

Or you could take that he is telling the truth and take him at his word instead of being cynical of him. Also you always looking for problems that just aren't there. 

Rovers should be using its TV channel to do more interviews like this instead of local media. 

On 23/09/2022 at 13:01, roversfan99 said:

And why. has Markanday vanished?  I thought he looked decent.  Is he injured what?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Or you could take that he is telling the truth and take him at his word instead of being cynical of him. Also you always looking for problems that just aren't there. 

Rovers should be using its TV channel to do more interviews like this instead of local media. 

The naivety, endearing really.

He will be telling some truth, but will also be spinning a narrative. For fans, for the owners, for the press, for the rest of the competition. And that’s fine by the way, it’s what everybody in football does.

And as for the second paragraph, well, I suppose the local media are as supine as you’d expect the in-house to be anyway, so why not. 

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Upside Down said:

I thought the point of the Academy was to provide us with our own top players so we didn't have to buy them.

To an extent but it's also to sell them down the line. 

They go hand in hand, play well for us and we sell them for big fees. 

That's the plan, we don't bring enough revenue in and we need to start getting to grips with player trading as we've been abysmal at it for a long time.

Bring players through the academy, get them into the first team, flog them for big money, rinse, repeat. 

Sounds easier than it actually will be but the club hierarchy will already have an eye on Phillips and Wharton being big future transfer sales.

12 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

The naivety, endearing really.

He will be telling some truth, but will also be spinning a narrative. For fans, for the owners, for the press, for the rest of the competition. And that’s fine by the way, it’s what everybody in football does.

Not at all but I take him at his word and if you don't fair enough but some of us aren't cynical like others.  

12 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

And as for the second paragraph, well, I suppose the local media are as supine as you’d expect the in-house to be anyway, so why not. 

Rovers should use it's own tv channel and other social media channels to communicate much more to its own fanbase like more interviews with different people at the club. 

5 hours ago, USABlue said:

And why. has Markanday vanished?  I thought he looked decent.  Is he injured what?

Markanday hasn't be selected for the 18-man match day squad and he hasn't been on injured. 

It’s not ‘cynical’ to understand that sports clubs, businesses, celebrities, politicians, the monarchy, you name it, spin narratives. Basic PR, indeed that’s why said institutions/people employ PR professionals.

Just the way it is, but you are, of course, free to take the word of any public figure at face value. I am also free to always take it with a pinch of salt.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 7