BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He may have been first choice but Tomasson is never going to say "well we didn't want Hirst but we will make do now our main targets have gone elsewhere" is he?

Gregg Broughton said Hirst was our first choice target in the striker and we have been linked to him several times over the summer. Hirst and JDT both confirmed that they been talks for weeks before hand. Do you have anything that can be used to disapprove this

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Surely Morton has replaced Rothwell? And why is your attitude either that you decide now that they are good signings ie Hyam and Brittain but if there are doubts, you refuse to pass comment? Surely you either wait to judge them all or you pass comment on them now, both positively and negatively where applicable?

not for me, cos Buckley has replaced Rothwell positional and Szmodics has replaced Buckley in the 10 role. 

I want to see more of Szmodics in action in the role we signed him to play in and with us playing a number 9 striker aswell. 

It's my opinion and you should know how I look at life and everything give how long we discussed and debate on here and twitter. 

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

For me, we made the right decisions to reject these lower offers in my opinion for him considering he scored 22 goals last season, is international player scoring goals at that level, one of our key players and how much a good replacement would cost. 

He might leave in January which we haven't mention yet. 

I'm confident that Hyam and Brittain will be good signings and my opinion is based on their performances I've seen this season and before they joined here. 

That a fair point on fee and his record at this level but clearly Rovers scouts, GB and JDT have seen things they like about the players and the attributes he can bring to the team and impact on the season, but my own opinion is I want to see more of him playing and playing the role he was signed for. 

I also think we have money left over to spend in January. 

If you replacing him then would you go for goal scorer striker for Healey or Maja for example purpose only or left side attacker like Dembele or Lowe from Bournemouth for example purpose only? 

Giving him a specific value based on these factors is only something you can do when a player isnt close to running his deal down. Its overcomplicating the situation to justify the decision to keep him. It really is as simple as treating it as a loan fee, £10m or a season of Brereton.

I have never seen Rhys Healey play once. I would have liked someone like Ross Stewart or Emil Riis, I have seen Stewart a few times and I would like him. Brereton leaves 2 holes in 1 player so I would have signed a left winger too, that woule have taken priority over Hirst and Szmodics.

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Gregg Broughton said Hirst was our first choice target in the striker and we have been linked to him several times over the summer. Hirst and JDT both confirmed that they been talks for weeks before hand. Do you have anything that can be used to disapprove this

not for me, cos Buckley has replaced Rothwell positional and Szmodics has replaced Buckley in the 10 role. 

I want to see more of Szmodics in action in the role we signed him to play in and with us playing a number 9 striker aswell. 

It's my opinion and you should know how I look at life and everything give how long we discussed and debate on here and twitter. 

If you choose to be so naive then fair enough. Hirst may have been the first choice, point being that if he wasnt, he wouldnt say in public.

Morton is playing over Buckley who has already been dropped after struggling further back. He is therefore a replacement for Rothwell. We look weak in central midfield.

Midfield is what will stop us causing any kind of impact in the league this season.

Needed a really strong player to compliment Buckley/Travis for me.

That's the biggest failure of the window, the other signings, apart from Szmodics who i need to see more of seem to be ok.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

But its impossible to define cheap.

Shit, someone better tell the dictionaries.

adjective
adjective: cheap; comparative adjective: cheaper; superlative adjective: cheapest
  1. 1.
    low in price, especially in relation to similar items or services.

Out of curiosity, would you have sold him for £5 million if that was the only offer we got?

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Giving him a specific value based on these factors is only something you can do when a player isnt close to running his deal down. Its overcomplicating the situation to justify the decision to keep him. It really is as simple as treating it as a loan fee, £10m or a season of Brereton.

Well, we have to agree to disagree on this cos we aren't going to agree on it

I have never seen Rhys Healey play once. I would have liked someone like Ross Stewart or Emil Riis, I have seen Stewart a few times and I would like him. Brereton leaves 2 holes in 1 player so I would have signed a left winger too, that woule have taken priority over Hirst and Szmodics.

Like I said I was using Rhys Healey as example purposes only, clearly you missed that point. 

Ross Stewart is someone who Rovers are looking at and is out of contract in the summer. 

Riis was priced about 8 million which is more than double his worth in my opinion. 

If you choose to be so naive then fair enough. Hirst may have been the first choice, point being that if he wasnt, he wouldnt say in public.

there is nothing naive at taking people comments has the truth, whilst you always don't. 

Morton is playing over Buckley who has already been dropped after struggling further back. He is therefore a replacement for Rothwell. We look weak in central midfield.

Don't agree there, Buckley started the season there. 

We have 6 options for the centre midfield options. These being Lewis Travis, John Buckley, Tyler Morton, Adam Wharton, Clinton Mola and Jake Garrett. 

7 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Shit, someone better tell the dictionaries.

adjective
adjective: cheap; comparative adjective: cheaper; superlative adjective: cheapest
  1. 1.
    low in price, especially in relation to similar items or services.

Out of curiosity, would you have sold him for £5 million if that was the only offer we got?

No that would be too low, at such a low price I would have taken the risk and kept him. 

I think had our stance been less rigid then we could have got more than was offered, even though teams clearly were unwilling to go to £15-20m. But if we had to sell as low as £10m, then spending say £6-8m on a replacement and keeping the rest would have made business sense.

24 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Midfield is what will stop us causing any kind of impact in the league this season.

Needed a really strong player to compliment Buckley/Travis for me.

That's the biggest failure of the window, the other signings, apart from Szmodics who i need to see more of seem to be ok.

Definitely. Buckley is lightweight and has so far struggled with the adaptation to play deeper having always played further forward, it was a big assumption to expect that to happen. Throw in our other options being kids, if we limited ourselves to one more midfielder which I always said was not enough, it had to be someone with experience, Morton alone was nowhere near sufficient nor fit for what we needed.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Well, we have to agree to disagree on this cos we aren't going to agree on it

Like I said I was using Rhys Healey as example purposes only, clearly you missed that point. 

Ross Stewart is someone who Rovers are looking at and is out of contract in the summer. 

Riis was priced about 8 million which is more than double his worth in my opinion. 

there is nothing naive at taking people comments has the truth, whilst you always don't. 

Don't agree there, Buckley started the season there. 

We have 6 options for the centre midfield options. These being Lewis Travis, John Buckley, Tyler Morton, Adam Wharton, Clinton Mola and Jake Garrett. 

I think I would have preferred Stewart to Riis, although I suspect that story from Nixon is speculative at best. But take Riis, I would prefer him (17 goals last season) on a 4 year deal over Brereton on a 1 year deal, a no brainer business wise even if Brereton is a better player IMO.

It was said the other day that Mola is mainly seen as a centre back by the manager.

32 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

No that would be too low, at such a low price I would have taken the risk and kept him. 

I think had our stance been less rigid then we could have got more than was offered, even though teams clearly were unwilling to go to £15-20m. But if we had to sell as low as £10m, then spending say £6-8m on a replacement and keeping the rest would have made business sense.

See, if we didn't own Brereton and wanted to loan him, I wouldn't want us to pay £5 million for that, either. We're not a club that can go spending £5 million to borrow a top end Championship striker for a season. I'd be surprised if you think any differently on that?

The idea that we have essentially paid a £10m loan fee for Brereton completely ignores the January transfer window. I could still easily see a Premier League club panicking and offering £10m even though he's only got 6 months left on his contract. The difference between relegation and survival means the lines get blurred between the potential fee and length of contract. 

We could easily still recoup a decent fee. The big risk however is he has attracted overseas interest and sign a pre-contract.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I think I would have preferred Stewart to Riis, although I suspect that story from Nixon is speculative at best. But take Riis, I would prefer him (17 goals last season) on a 4 year deal over Brereton on a 1 year deal, a no brainer business wise even if Brereton is a better player IMO.

It was said the other day that Mola is mainly seen as a centre back by the manager.

Well Nixon gets alot of stories like we seen over the summer. 

Riis isn't worth the fee PNE wanted for him. 

JDT also said he can a number of positions in the same interview 

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well Nixon gets alot of stories like we seen over the summer. 

Riis isn't worth the fee PNE wanted for him. 

JDT also said he can a number of positions in the same interview 

Brereton wouldnt be worth 10m for a solitary season. Riis was just an example but him for 4 seasons with a couple of million spare carries much more value than Brereton for 1 season.

If Bournemouth were going to stump up 3 mill for Rothwell in January then a well placed Championship club or desperate Prem club could well try for BBD in Jan for double that.

There is every chance we'd still get the fee back if they took the gamble and got rid. Absolutely no guarantee he'd want to hump ship just anywhere though for the sake of it.

11 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Brereton is worth more IMO than Riis. 

I'd prefer Brereton of course, but you have discarded the part about contracts, Riis for 4 years v Brereton for 1.

And as I said, Riis wouldn't necessarily be my number 1 target and that is with much less knowledge of other leagues than our scouts should have.

11 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I'd prefer Brereton of course, but you have discarded the part about contracts, Riis for 4 years v Brereton for 1.

And as I said, Riis wouldn't necessarily be my number 1 target and that is with much less knowledge of other leagues than our scouts should have.

No I haven't discarded your comments about the contract's lengths but like I said I rather have BBD than Riis who I think is overpaid at 8 million for me. 

I like Ross Stewart as striker, But I want to see how George Hirst does this season. I think he might to prove his worth and be worth buying at the end of the season. 

12 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

No I haven't discarded your comments about the contract's lengths but like I said I rather have BBD than Riis who I think is overpaid at 8 million for me. 

I like Ross Stewart as striker, But I want to see how George Hirst does this season. I think he might to prove his worth and be worth buying at the end of the season. 

Stewart has got a medium term injury, couple of months out apparently.

3 hours ago, BRFC_Polky said:

I'm looking forward to booing this prick when he rocks up to Ewood later in the season. 

• Like 1