BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray's Reign...& is he off to Sunderland ?

Because of the rumour that Tomo and builder bob are off to WBA , obviously just done a google search to see if WBA have any plans to sell their training ground 🙂

Nothing came up but from this article sounds like Bruce is planning for next season

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2022/04/14/steve-bruce-tells-west-broms-commuting-players-to-move/

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think I may refrain from getting too worked up about far-fetched rumours of our manager and assistant trying to coax our imminently out of contract players into signing with their supposed new team next season.

Do you genuinely believe that Mowbray stops trying once he gets bored at Christmas?

I was being facetious obviously.

However I've always thought he's a very laid back manager who has a history of teams collapsing. He probably gets found out and for some reason has no plan B when that happens.

I remember one LT interview a couple of years ago in which he was asked why there was a sudden upturn of results. He said something along the lines of... I don't know, we aren't doing anything different. It's a surprise to me as well.

I think there's more prayer than planning when it comes to TM's management style. And when his prayers aren't answered he just stumbles on till it either works again, or he's sacked/resigns.

• Like 2

Just now, booth said:

I was being facetious obviously.

However I've always thought he's a very laid back manager who has a history of teams collapsing. He probably gets found out and for some reason has no plan B when that happens.

I remember one LT interview a couple of years ago in which he was asked why there was a sudden upturn of results. He said something along the lines of... I don't know, we aren't doing anything different. It's a surprise to me as well.

I think there's more prayer than planning when it comes to TM's management style. And when his prayers aren't answered he just stumbles on till it either works again, or he's sacked/resigns.

He’s no more idea of why we went on the winning run than he has of getting us out of the losing death spirals. He’s clueless. Does throw any light on it ?

Are we sure this isn't just  stemming from Venus advising some players that his pals at WBA might be interested in them ?

2=2 = 5 

Of course it's still a horrific scenario if that was the case but nobody is truly trustworthy in football when there is a % to be made. Venus actual role here is another that is shrouded in contradictions but maybe he fancies himself as a bit of an agent.

9 minutes ago, tomphil said:

How long ago and with what at their disposal ?

You'll be sorted anyway if your down that way you'll still be able to see him 😆

I’m sure they never had £25m+ of players sat on the bench like they had at Ewood earlier this season.

But do carry on, it makes for entertaining reading. 

Edited by Gav

6 minutes ago, tomphil said:

How long ago and with what at their disposal ?

You'll be sorted anyway if your down that way you'll still be able to see him 😆

2006/07 - first season in the Championship after being relegated, finished 4th after a bad run of results.
2007/08 - promoted.

And yes he had a decent budget.

TM's CV is...

Hibernian - left for WBA

WBA - got them promoted to PL in second season

Celtic - sacked

Middlesbrough - sacked

Coventry - resigned after 10 consecutive defeats.

16 minutes ago, Gav said:

I’m sure they never had £25m+ of players sat on the bench like they had at Ewood earlier this season.

You need to get with the times.

2006  Mowbray took over a squad just relegated from the Premier league complete with parachute payments and wage budget to match.

Around that time we were having the likes of Bellamy and Benni Mc for a few million, these days we often have 5 million pound Sam Gallagher on one side and 7 million pound Ben Brereton on the other, in a midtable Championship squad.

Edited by tomphil

8 minutes ago, booth said:

2006/07 - first season in the Championship after being relegated, finished 4th after a bad run of results.
2007/08 - promoted.

And yes he had a decent budget.

TM's CV is...
Hibernian - left for WBA

WBA - got them promoted to PL in second season

Celtic - sacked

Middlesbrough - sacked

Coventry - resigned after 10 consecutive defeats.

Quite a down turn for someone who started so well.

Now that's a familiar story eh.

• Like 2

You need to get with the times.

You asked:

‘With what at their disposal’

I explained to you, nowhere near what they’d have now!

Anyway as much fun as this is, decent night of boxing coming up tonight tomphil, including Connor Benn on DAZN at 10pm, bollox to the football….

Edited by Gav

11 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Quite a down turn for someone who started so well.

Now that's a familiar story eh.

He seems to have started well at all of his previous clubs only for it to go downhill.

By the way WBA went straight back down the following season (bottom of the league... I think).

Edited by booth
  • Like 1

I was just reading we are also the worst disciplined team in the league with 5 red cards and 51 yellow cards. How many of those yellow cards have been for little lads offences like talking back to ref and kicking the ball away etc ? I wouldn’t mind but this is the softest Rovers team I can recall in many years, apart from 2 or 3 players we haven’t got a battler at the club.

Two things win you games - discipline and defence. Mowbray is obviously useless at both of those.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

34 minutes ago, Gav said:

High-profile players such as Jason Koumas, Diomansy Kamara and Curtis Davies were sold to Premier League clubs for large fees, in addition to the departures of Paul McShane, Nathan Ellington, Darren Carter and Steve Watson. Mowbray replaced them by signing a total of 14 permanent and loan players in the summer transfer window, making an overall profit in the process. His most expensive signings were Chris Brunt from Sheffield Wednesday for £3 million, Leon Barnett from Luton Town for £2.5 million, and James Morrison from Middlesbrough for £1.5 million.

That was the first (2006) of four transfer windows before WBA's promotion from the Championship.

Edited by booth

Just young lads, naive, got to learn the hard way etc

Which is true in parts but if you don't reel them in or discipline them somehow then they won't learn.

How many pro games do Lenihen, Travis, Rothwell, Nyambe Pickering etc have under their belts now ?  Even Wharton, it's not as if they've just walked out of the academy and straight into the first team this season.

• Like 5

Just young lads, naive, got to learn the hard way etc

Which is true in parts but if you don't reel them in or discipline them somehow then they won't learn.

How many pro games do Lenihen, Travis, Rothwell, Nyambe Pickering etc have under their belts now ?  Even Wharton, it's not as if they've just walked out of the academy and straight into the first team this season.

I thought the whole idea of employing coaching staff was so the players don’t have to learn the hard way.

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I thought the whole idea of employing coaching staff was so the players don’t have to learn the hard way.

The majority of them should know what the craic is by now but some of the worst offenders are probably among the most experienced.

The coaching staff when you look at it is Lowe and Benson ?  I suppose Venus might do some but he's assistant manager, DOF, property developer, agent, adviser and whatever else.

It's hardly a modern looking setup.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Lenihan has over 260 first team games

Travis has 150 first team games

Nyambe has 200 first team games

Rothwell has 254 first team games

Wharton has 151 first team games

Pickering has 196 first team games 

• Like 5

Just now, Mercer said:

When the local press start getting a bit critical about Mowbray then you know his time is up.

I always remember a home match in April last year when I thought both Bayes and Gallacher were unusually critical pre match - this was the time when speculation was rife that Mowbray was heading for the exit door.

Now we have Sharpe calling out Mowbray:

Mowbray’s comments of Peterborough ‘not threatening our goal for 80 minutes’ were disingenuous. Were it not for a fingertip Thomas Kaminski save, and poor finishes from Sam Szmodics and Kwame Poku, Posh could have had two or three goals in the first half.

Make no mistake, if and when (and it looks almost certainly 'when') Mowbray leaves in the next few weeks, IMO, we will be left in a real 'Coyleyesque' mess. 

Our three best defenders all likely to be gone - Lenihan and Nyambe for feck all and Hecke back to Brighton.

Rothwell almost certainly will be gone.

Brereton will look at what's left and, IMO, think feck this for a game of soldiers, I'm off.

Whilst I think Dack is really struggling and may never get back to anywhere his best - if he does, I think he'll be another who's off.

Khadra will go back to Brighton.

Just where does that leave us?

I think Mowbray's 5year+ journey will have taken us absolutely nowhere - even gone backwards.

Some of us have never rated Mowbray and sadly, I think we will have been proven right.

I've never bought the Mowbray line as a 'humble man of integrity'.  IMO, Mowbray, Venus and Waggott will have almost ruined our club. 

I know with the use of the nickname "Coyley" that you are on the wind-up but this is simply not true.

When Coyle left, we had an aging squad with no real assets, 

Yes our squad will become weaker in the summer but we are not in a comparable position.

Firstly, we have Brereton for whom we are likely to get an eight figure fee. Whether our negligent owners will reinvest any of that is a seperate issue as we saw last summer but that is not on the manager.

Beyond that, we have Kaminski on a long term deal, we have Travis on a long term deal, we have Dack back fit, we have Wharton on a long term deal, we have players like Pickering, Markanday, Dolan, Buckley and Carter on long term deals. We also don't really have any players who a new manager (if they come in, I bet there is a strong chance of a renewal) would feel are liabilities financially.

• Like 3