BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray's Reign...& is he off to Sunderland ?

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

My 2p

If you compare the club when TM took over to as it is now the simple answer.is he's done a good job.

However -

His tactics have always been poor, in football terms he's a dinosaur.

His team's have very rarely played for more than 30 minutes a match.

Apart from loanees the defenders never arrived.

The only good runs we've had have been when injuries and suspensions stopped him tinkering.

His preference to play players out of position is absolute nonsense.

He could have achieved so much more and his legacy will be the missed opportunities.

He's got to go and the sooner the better.

Good post sums most of it up he's far from the worst manager and has done some much needed stuff. Nothing any competent average guy shouldn't have been capable of doing though. I guess the difference with TM is to be fair to him he's stayed in his lane and never had aspirations above his station.

Thats meant hes been happy to stay here and plod instead of chasing greener grass at the first opportunity once he'd restored his rep. Other side of that coin is of course its meant he'll never walk away without a payoff and kind of shows how limited his ambitions were.

I agree his legacy could be more than it's likely to end up being because of the constant team messing etc that leads to no consistency. 

The most frustrating manager iv'e seen at Rovers.

• Like 3

I think assuming that we finish just outside the play offs (practically certain) and he leaves/is let go this summer (I am unconvinced) then I would describe his tenure as mediocrity personified. Ultimately we have never come close in any of his full seasons of significant regression or being dragged into a scrap at the bottom, that in itself puts him well ahead of a number of people he has been compared to, obviously that is not enough to warrant him keeping his job indefinitely either, merely treading water, and only this season have we come genuinely close to the top 6/in with a proper shout. I would suggest that had we accumulated points evenly across the season, this season would be seen far more favourably that it will, but that is somewhat justified because we have blown such a big chance.

I don't think it is fair at all to suggest that his tactics "have always been poor" either though, as much as he is definitely prone to trying to be over-elaborate at times. When he had a transfer window he seemingly wanted us to play a certain way, and he showed a real level of pragmatism and flexibility to totally rip those ideas up so soon into our League 1 season and to play direct off Graham, and that was a big factor in our promotion. Initially when we came up he stuck with that, and then he initially made us slightly less direct in the following season to a degree of success as we finished 4 places higher. It was only when he tried to take that to an extreme that we regressed, and he then again changed his tactics totally once we lost players last summer. Even then, we was not really exceling this season until he changed until a back 3 and played Buckley as a false 9 and I think it is forgotten that those tactics initially were the catalyst to us being where we were. Injuries have played a part since but Mowbray has just been far too stubborn sticking to those tactics though since when the balance has totally gone without Brereton able to run in behind, and he has also thrown in weird additions to the tactics, notably Giles on the right. His tactics across his tenure have changed a number of times, he has 3 times changed them to success but he has also been guilty of overcomplication. A real mixed bag.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

What a load of tosh you talk. Mowbray is nowhere near leaving this club in the mess that Coyle and Kean left this club. 

The playing squad will need 8 to 10 signings but I think a freshen up of the playing squad and the management team is exactly what the club after the past 2 years of not achieving at least playoff place. Last season we should have got top 6 given the financial backing Mowbray has and this season we should have got top 6 given we were second in the league after beating Boro at home. Missing out on the top 6 this season is utter and completely unacceptable. 

We need a new manager who will put the fight and passion back into the players and the club for next season. Cos currently I see very little of this from the current squad in recent games. 

Didn't you say Mowbray was joining WBA to replace Ismael in February? 

Tosh!?

IMO, next season will be a success if we stay out of the bottom three - I think that will be Mowbray's legacy.

8 to 10 signings is not evolution or strategic planning, it's either revolution or sheer desperation because you've fecked up so much!

We stand to lose Nyambe, Lenihan, Hecke, Rothwell, Brereton.  Imagine if Liverpool lost Alexander-Arnold, Van Dijk, Konate, Henderson and Salah.  If that's a 'freshen up' then God knows what you are smoking.

I think it will emerge in time how close Mowbray came to joining WBA in Feb.; I think the timing was all wrong and there were too many complications otherwise he wouldn't be here now.  Many said at the time, Bruce had signed an 18 month contract - I think it will become clear there are break clauses and the only way Bruce would stay at WBA is if he got them up this season.  I stand by that and would bet a small fortune on Mowbray rocking up at WBA in only a few weeks' time. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Tosh!?

IMO, next season will be a success if we stay out of the bottom three - I think that will be Mowbray's legacy.

8 to 10 signings is not evolution or strategic planning, it's either revolution or sheer desperation because you've fecked up so much!

We stand to lose Nyambe, Lenihan, Hecke, Rothwell, Brereton.  Imagine if Liverpool lost Alexander-Arnold, Van Dijk, Konate, Henderson and Salah.  If that's a 'freshen up' then God knows what you are smoking.

I think it will emerge in time how close Mowbray came to joining WBA in Feb.; I think the timing was all wrong and there were too many complications otherwise he wouldn't be here now.  Many said at the time, Bruce had signed an 18 month contract - I think it will become clear there are break clauses and the only way Bruce would stay at WBA is if he got them up this season.  I stand by that and would bet a small fortune on Mowbray rocking up at WBA in only a few weeks' time. 

I’d be surprised if they took him back to be honest Merc. Especially with Dyche available.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I’d be surprised if they took him back to be honest Merc. Especially with Dyche available.

Dyche v Mowbray is a no brainer.

Sadly, I think football boardrooms are littered with moronic and vacuous non entities not even capable of running a bath let alone a football club. 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Tosh!?

You also said repeatedly that Alex Neil was imminently about to be appointed. Your track record is laughable.

The number of changes needed isnt comparable to Liverpool because we went into this season only able to bring in a series of loan deals despite bringing in a substantial 8 figure fee for a Mowbray signing, so there would always be 4 holes regardless of manager. You then throw in replacing Brereton which will bring in 8 figures, and the 3 out of contract players, one of whom would have generated a fee and filled 2 of those gaps in January had it not been for Venkys. Venkys will also presumably give little if any of that major sale for reinvestment. So it is unfair to put the upcoming necessary overhaul solely down to the manager. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

You also said repeatedly that Alex Neil was imminently about to be appointed. Your track record is laughable.

The number of changes needed isnt comparable to Liverpool because we went into this season only able to bring in a series of loan deals despite bringing in a substantial 8 figure fee for a Mowbray signing, so there would always be 4 holes regardless of manager. You then throw in replacing Brereton which will bring in 8 figures, and the 3 out of contract players, one of whom would have generated a fee and filled 2 of those gaps in January had it not been for Venkys. Venkys will also presumably give little if any of that major sale for reinvestment. So it is unfair to put the upcoming necessary overhaul solely down to the manager. 

Think you live in a fantasy world.

Think Rovers are fecked which is due in no small part, IMO, to the gross mismanagement of Mowbray, Venus and Waggott.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Think you live in a fantasy world.

Think Rovers are fecked which is due in no small part, IMO, to the gross mismanagement of Mowbray, Venus and Waggott.

The main reason is and always will be Venkys.

Obviously Mowbrays recruitment over a lengthy period is a huge contributing factor and I want him replaced, so how that is me living in fantasy world is beyond me.

But whoever the manager was, we went into this season having to pad out the squad with 4 loanees because the owners refused to invest at all last summer, thats half of the overhaul, and despite a major sale last summer. Add in a 5th replacement needed for a signing Mowbray made set to bring in a 8 figure fee, and a 6th replacement for a player that could have been sold in January had it not been for the owners stubbornness, a move which would have swapped an unhappy player for 2 new signings, any manager under the same restrictions this season would have had the same issues.

33 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Add to that Diaz and Kaninski will be sold in January, Dack will never play again, Ayala wasn’t at the ground against Blackpool ( He was singing autographs at 2pm behind Bburn end) Allardyce to burnley and he’s now stollen Paul’s claim that Mowbrays going to WBA 😂

Bullshitter.

• Like 2

Just now, Gav said:

Add to that Diaz and Kaninski will be sold in January, Dack will never play again, Ayala wasn’t at the ground against Blackpool ( He was singing autographs at 2pm behind Bburn end) Allardyce to burnley and he’s now stollen Paul’s claim that Mowbrays going to WBA 😂

Bullshitter.

Mowbray was a guaranteed appointment at West Brom the day Bruce was appointed. He was so sure that it prompted roversclitheroe to put a fiver on if I recall.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Tosh!?

We stand to lose Nyambe, Lenihan, Hecke, Rothwell, Brereton.

Yes a lad of Tosh Mercer. 

Promotion should be the aim next season whoever the manager is. 

This squad is not good enough to sustain and maintain a promotion chase and run in. We need to improve the squad and bring in better manager/coaching staff plus new players. 

Rothwell has been awful for nearly 3 months. Nyambe I am not bothered losing at all. Replacing Brereton's goals is a must but a new manager can bring in a new striker to fill that. 

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

another one of your prediction that way wide of the mark. Just let your Alex Neil story who still hasn't joining, Allardyce and Rooney going to Burnley despite Rooney committing to Derby. 

The break clause in Bruce was reported last week in the media so no credit for posting that. 

What small fortune are you putting on it? 

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

another one of your prediction that way wide of the mark. Just let your Alex Neil story who still hasn't joining, Allardyce and Rooney going to Burnley despite Rooney committing to Derby. 

The break clause in Bruce was reported last week in the media so no credit for posting that. 

Think Neil will do a great job for Sunderland.  Read somewhere he's taken 22 points from his first 11 games in charge.  Would take him any day of the week over Mowbray.  Others have posted on here that Rovers spoke with Neil last April about taking over.......Think You'll find in the fullness of time he came close to taking over from Mowbray.

As for Bruce and break clause, I think you'll find I posted at the time of his appointment he'd be gone if WBA not promoted this season!

• Like 2

Maybe it’s all a cunning plan from Mowbray. Sign the contract at WBA and then perform so terribly at Rovers that WBA pay him off before he’s even started 😉 

No smoke without fire, but I would be astounded if Mowbray goes to WBA.

I doubt he has signed a contract there and, assuming he hasn’t, why on Earth would they want him now?
Bruce continuing or Dyche far more likely.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JohnD said:

My 2p

If you compare the club when TM took over to as it is now the simple answer.is he's done a good job.

However -

His tactics have always been poor, in football terms he's a dinosaur.

His team's have very rarely played for more than 30 minutes a match.

Apart from loanees the defenders never arrived.

The only good runs we've had have been when injuries and suspensions stopped him tinkering.

His preference to play players out of position is absolute nonsense.

He could have achieved so much more and his legacy will be the missed opportunities.

He's got to go and the sooner the better.

Technically all true, Although if you where to compare the squad again in a month or so's time when all the out of contract players & loanees have gone and Brereton is on the verge of a move away, then I'd say the squad is probably even weaker than when he first took charge.

Tony's "Journey"  will have been about as enjoyable and fruitful as a lap around Blackburn sat on the back seats of the outer circle at 3pm with a bunch of school kids fannying about around you.

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 3

How anyone can say he's done a good job is beyond me. A promotion which was his doing as he relegated rovers but he's put the club back where they were when he took over. Midtable mediocrity.  Yes I know we weren't Midtable when he got the job I'm speaking figuratively 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Mercer said:

Think Neil will do a great job for Sunderland.  Read somewhere he's taken 22 points from his first 11 games in charge.  Would take him any day of the week over Mowbray.  Others have posted on here that Rovers spoke with Neil last April about taking over.......Think You'll find in the fullness of time he came close to taking over from Mowbray.

As for Bruce and break clause, I think you'll find I posted at the time of his appointment he'd be gone if WBA not promoted this season!

Neil has had an impact there but they have top 6 squad for surely. 

You were pushing Neil for over 12 months to become Rovers manager but it never happened. Just like when you were telling us all that its 90% cert that Mowbray was going to WBA and you backed it at £50. Another one of your tip that never happened. 

Where on the forum did you tell us all about the Bruce WBA contract break clause? 

2 hours ago, roverandout said:

How anyone can say he's done a good job is beyond me. A promotion which was his doing as he relegated rovers but he's put the club back where they were when he took over. Midtable mediocrity.  Yes I know we weren't Midtable when he got the job I'm speaking figuratively 

Everyone is entitled to their own view surely? 

Mowbray has done a decent job here but its rime for completed change of coaching staff and new guy in the Managerial seat with a playing squad capable of promotion. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Neil has had an impact there but they have top 6 squad for surely. 

You were pushing Neil for over 12 months to become Rovers manager but it never happened. Just like when you were telling us all that its 90% cert that Mowbray was going to WBA and you backed it at £50. Another one of your tip that never happened. 

Where on the forum did you tell us all about the Bruce WBA contract break clause? 

Get things right Chris!

Firstly, I did not push for Neil - I merely stated that folk I knew with good PNE connections believed he would become Rovers' manager which I think he nearly did!  Others on here have posted Neil was interviewed by Rovers back in April last year with some saying he turned us down!

As for Bruce and WBA if you have nothing better to do then troll through all the stuff on the subject at the time!

32 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Get things right Chris!

Firstly, I did not push for Neil - I merely stated that folk I knew with good PNE connections believed he would become Rovers' manager which I think he nearly did!  Others on here have posted Neil was interviewed by Rovers back in April last year with some saying he turned us down!

As for Bruce and WBA if you have nothing better to do then troll through all the stuff on the subject at the time!

I'm talking your posts and predictions/inside info not others so lets get it right. 

Neil hasn't become Rovers manager. Mowbray didn't go to WBA as you said were "90" cert he would and you said you put 50 pounds on it happening. 

• Like 1